[GUIDE][Difficulty: Beginner] Enable Speakerphone when Phone is Placed on Table

Search This thread

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
If you're busy with something and you get a phone call, it might frustrate you having to put your phone down and manually enabling speakerphone in order to actually talk with the person on the other end. However with Tasker, you can easily enable Speakerphone when you're in a call by placing your phone upright on a flat surface. It works by reading your accelerometer to grab the current orientation of the device. Let's set it up.

Instructions

1. Create a new Profile and name it "Speakerphone."
  2. Create a new State context, go to Phone --> Call. Set it to "Any."
  3. Create a new task, but there's no need to name it anything because it will only need a single action.
  4. Within the Entry task, go to Audio --> Speakerphone and set it to On.
  5. Exit the task editor, and then long-press on the Call Any,* context in order to add another Context.
  6. Add another State context, and go to Sensor --> Orientation. Set "Is" to Face Up.
  7. Exit out, and now long-press on the Entry task. Tasker will ask you to add an Exit Task. Create one.
  8. Once inside the task editor again, go to Audio --> Speakerphone again. This time set Speakerphone to Off.
EsdIBwu.jpg

That's it! Now, this profile will trigger when your phone is both a) within a phone call and b) face-up on a flat surface (the orientation is detected as face-up). On satisfying these conditions, Tasker will enable speakerphone, and when it fails to meet the condition (ie. when you exit the call or pick the phone up) speakerphone will turn off.

ari2asem

May 14, 2013
Groningen
maybe little offtopic....but the same feature is available on my oneplus one, slimsaber-rom. in the phone-app under SETTINGS >> CALL u can find the option AUTOMATIC PROXIMITY SENSOR. set it ON and u have the same feature

rockyrocker

Nov 30, 2012
Not working.. Any setting do I need to change for the accelerometer to recognize? I have done exactly like above..

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
I click + to add profile and it asks me for a "First Context"

Edit:

1. Create a new Profile, select State context and name it "Speakerphone."

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Trying to create the above and starting realise why I used Locale for so longer.

I must add a task and give it name?

Last edited:

tykob

Mar 29, 2011
how will this react to having headphones plugged in? at work, my phone is usually in a position that would trigger this but i plug in headphones to talk and listen. i wouldnt want speakerphone to override the headphones at work. at home though this would be fine since i dont use the headphones there.

Reactions: tm0702

fenchai

May 10, 2011
how will this react to having headphones plugged in? at work, my phone is usually in a position that would trigger this but i plug in headphones to talk and listen. i wouldnt want speakerphone to override the headphones at work. at home though this would be fine since i dont use the headphones there.

Just Add Another Context for when Headphones are not plugged in, you can play with your own settings. Even by using Ifs but thats another thing you dont need to know now.

tykob

Mar 29, 2011
Just Add Another Context for when Headphones are not plugged in, you can play with your own settings. Even by using Ifs but thats another thing you dont need to know now.

was just coming to make the same comment. added a third state context of headset plugged in > any > invert. seemed to do the trick. thanks!

Reactions: digitalpig82

tm0702

Nov 7, 2011
I did not know I needed this profile until I read it! I have found myself in this scenario multiple times and I never thought to use Tasker to make my life easier! And it is so simple!

rpena21

Sep 28, 2010
I guess it really depends on where the main speaker is located. If it is on the back, then you would want to have the orientation set to the back, otherwise, the front.

:eek:

Last edited:

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Not working.. Any setting do I need to change for the accelerometer to recognize? I have done exactly like above..

Calibrate your accelerometer in Tasker's preferences. Click the 3 dot menu in the top right, go to preferences, go to the Monitor tab, then scroll all the way down to the Calibrate button under where it says "Accelerometer." Do that then try it again.

Edit:

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Trying to create the above and starting realise why I used Locale for so longer.

The general idea for any tasker creation is like this: 1) create a context, 2) create a task. The context is what must occur on your phone in order for Tasker to be triggered, and the task is the action that Tasker then performs. In this case, the context is when Tasker detects that the orientation of your phone is face-up AND the fact that you are in the middle of a phone call. Then, Tasker fires the associated task that enables speakerphone. Naming a context or task is entirely optional.

Reactions: wbbjason

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
If you're busy with something and you get a phone call, it might frustrate you having to put your phone down and manually enabling speakerphone in order to actually talk with the person on the other end. However with Tasker, you can easily enable Speakerphone when you're in a call by placing your phone upright on a flat surface. It works by reading your accelerometer to grab the current orientation of the device. Let's set it up.

Instructions

3. Create a new task, but there's no need to name it anything because it will only need a single action.
  5. Exit the task editor, and then long-press on the Call Any,* context in order to add another Context.
  6. Add another State context, and go to Sensor --> Orientation. Set "Is" to Face Up.
  7. Exit out, and now long-press on the Entry task. Tasker will ask you to add an Exit Task. Create one.
  8. Once inside the task editor again, go to Audio --> Speakerphone again. This time set Speakerphone to Off.
EsdIBwu.jpg

That's it! Now, this profile will trigger when your phone is both a) within a phone call and b) face-up on a flat surface (the orientation is detected as face-up). On satisfying these conditions, Tasker will enable speakerphone, and when it fails to meet the condition (ie. when you exit the call or pick the phone up) speakerphone will turn off.

Did it. Never used speakerphone so see if it even works.
Live and learn obscure Taskerisms-2. This profile is stuck as its own entry, not under the "home" listing. Shown as enabled so we shall see.

za33ck

Jul 21, 2007
Detroit
Samsung Galaxy S22
On the one plus one there was an option, if you took a call, put it to up to your ear, then decided you wanted others to hear the call, you could pull it away from your face, and after 2-3 seconds the phone automatically switched to speakerphone. Is anyone able to replicate that within tasker. It was a cool option.

SkyboneNoya

Jan 21, 2012
If you're busy with something and you get a phone call, it might frustrate you having to put your phone down and manually enabling speakerphone in order to actually talk with the person on the other end.

Love this Tasker stuff! THANKS for this feature, I DO hate putting that speaker phone on, and I'm always doing something when I get a call..

I've been meaning to update my article for about two years now.. since I last checked... :( College program is almost done!
If you wouldn't mind I could add this to the list in the future! Feel free to check out my profiles ready for download as well :D

Last one I remember working on was a failed login/Phone theft preventer which is still sitting half done on my phone.

For this to work, someone would have to attempt to login to your phone 3 times, Tasker would then Lock up the phone, force data and GPS on,
and take a few pictures using the front facing camera. Then send them through email, or text to give you a better idea of who has your phone. :cowboy:

D'OH!, this is a feature in this form now lol..

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: MishaalRahman

MishaalRahman

Retired Editor in Chief
Nov 2, 2015
www.xda-developers.com
Love this Tasker stuff! THANKS for this feature, I DO hate putting that speaker phone on, and I'm always doing something when I get a call..

I've been meaning to update my article for about two years now.. since I last checked... :( College program is almost done!
If you wouldn't mind I could add this to the list in the future! Feel free to check out my profiles ready for download as well :D

Last one I remember working on was a failed login/Phone theft preventer which is still sitting half done on my phone.

For this to work, someone would have to attempt to login to your phone 3 times, Tasker would then Lock up the phone, force data and GPS on,
and take a few pictures using the front facing camera. Then send them through email, or text to give you a better idea of who has your phone. :cowboy:

D'OH!, this is a feature in this form now lol..

Cheers!

Yup, you can expand what you want to do based on failed unlocks to whatever you want. Do you have a link to your other profiles? Could you share them on this forum? Thanks!

karakatp

Sep 9, 2013
Athens
Xiaomi Mi 9 SE
Calibrate your accelerometer in Tasker's preferences. Click the 3 dot menu in the top right, go to preferences, go to the Monitor tab, then scroll all the way down to the Calibrate button under where it says "Accelerometer." Do that then try it again.

I can't make it work! When I click at "Calibrate" button nothing happens!!!:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: CCJ22

fopoku2k2

Dec 16, 2007
I tried this on my s6 edge but it didn't work. Any reason why?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

fopoku2k2

Dec 16, 2007
OK so now after calibrating it works. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to turn off when I pick up the phone. Any reason why?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instructions

EsdIBwu.jpg

was just coming to make the same comment. added a third state context of headset plugged in > any > invert. seemed to do the trick. thanks!

Edit:

The general idea for any tasker creation is like this: 1) create a context, 2) create a task. The context is what must occur on your phone in order for Tasker to be triggered, and the task is the action that Tasker then performs. In this case, the context is when Tasker detects that the orientation of your phone is face-up AND the fact that you are in the middle of a phone call. Then, Tasker fires the associated task that enables speakerphone. Naming a context or task is entirely optional.