AT&T Throttles, NOW Internet provider does too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jdwilson

Feb 25, 2008
near THE ROCK, Arkansas
Now that ATT is throttling "over users", I started really turning on the WiFi on my Inspire when at home, just to stay on the safe side.

Today I get a letter that my Internet (cable) provider is limiting usage. Only good thing, limit at my contracted speed is 250GB. If one exceeds the limit, they get a letter. On the third overage, cost if $10 for 50GB.

Now I really have to be careful because I am using my PC, my Inspire and my Toshiba Thrive.

Screwed again.:mad:

-DarthNihilus-

Apr 1, 2012
I heard about that, how ISPs are limiting data usage. Its pretty sad actually. Thank goodness I haven't received any letter.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

slocav

Jan 10, 2011
Irvine
You can thank the fcc for that... It's really getting annoying if you ask me

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

GaToRxxx420

Apr 9, 2012
Taylor
I'm on att dsl and they've been caping at 150 gb for over a year now.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA

Does this apply to Uverse? That's what we have, I do a lot of online gaming over Xbox Live, use my phone on Wi-Fi as does my mom and I download a lot of other stuff, to my knowledge we've never gotten a letter.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

G

GuestK007

actually this convo should be on dslreports not inspire 4g. yes all service providers cap if you hit an excessive amount this has been known since weve had internet. if youre pulling 10G a day, you are far beyond online gaming an i can understand them shutting it down. Think about it if each person is pulling that much thats 3.6TB a year, thats expensive lol.

Chevyguy85

Nov 15, 2011
Orlando
actually this convo should be on dslreports not inspire 4g. yes all service providers cap if you hit an excessive amount this has been known since weve had internet. if youre pulling 10G a day, you are far beyond online gaming an i can understand them shutting it down. Think about it if each person is pulling that much thats 3.6TB a year, thats expensive lol.

If brighthouse is capping then the cap must be insanely high as of yet I've received nothing from them. lol @ 10 gigs a day...nvm I plead the 5th :confused:

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
Why should this be on dslreports? It is about a cable provider for starters, and it is pertinent information for AT&T users of HTC devices that have been (or will be) throttled, who then, diligently start using WiFi on their devices to keep AT&T off their backs.

I agree with Darunion. This has nothing to do with the development of the Inspire 4G. This topic does not belong on this forum.

graewulf1

Umm, you guys do realize just how big 250GB is right? I use my connection heavily and rarely see more than about 100GB most months. You have to be doing some serious downloading of DVDs or such to even think of hitting that limit. I use mine for 4 computers, 2 droids and netflix and I use Crashplan to backup my computers to the web.

jeriku

Mar 2, 2012
250gb is not that much, especially if your are a Netflix / Hulu only person. Just one computer using Netflix as a TV replacement can easily put you over, not to mention Pandora and other usage. Cable companies are only doing this to curb streamers. There's a pretty good discussion on the Comcast forums about this. 250gb was fine 4 years ago, but today....not so much.

From what I've heard fios has no cap.

graewulf1

250gb is not that much, especially if your are a Netflix / Hulu only person. Just one computer using Netflix as a TV replacement can easily put you over, not to mention Pandora and other usage. Cable companies are only doing this to curb streamers. There's a pretty good discussion on the Comcast forums about this. 250gb was fine 4 years ago, but today....not so much.

From what I've heard fios has no cap.

Yet... Give them time and they too will have data caps. Of course, as bandwidth grows, the caps get larger also. It's not about the amount of data used, it's about network congestion. If the network can't handle it, then they need to curb the heavy users to keep bandwidth for the rest of us.

Youngunn2008

Aug 2, 2010
Alton, IL
start downloading multiple source codes for ics and aokp, and downloading/watching netflix, hulu,,,

it all adds up pretty quickly.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yet... Give them time and they too will have data caps. Of course, as bandwidth grows, the caps get larger also. It's not about the amount of data used, it's about network congestion. If the network can't handle it, then they need to curb the heavy users to keep bandwidth for the rest of us.

I don't care bout the rest, I wants me data. :)

I don't get a refund if I use less.

Sent using the power of the dark side.
    I use a Comcast 105/15 mbps line in Little Rock, AR. It's capped at 250GB, but in December I hit 1.9 TB in 3 weeks because I spent about $400 at the Steam Holiday Sale +automatic backups of all of it to backblaze. They got really mad, ended up having to get my lawyer to get them to shut up about it.

Speaking of the Internet, ever since I switched to LordClockAN's Ice Cold Sandwich 7.4 STRIPPER EDITION my AT&T HSPA+ speeds have nearly tripled. I'm getting 7.5-8 mbps now. I don't think I need LTE anymore, particularly since the vast majority of dev support for the HOX will be for the Tegra 3 version, and only 16GB of local storage is so not enough for 720p pron...
    Heres a good read for those that say they only watch a few movies and hit their cap. Because we all know no one will publicly admit to torrent downloads.

apparently on 250g u can get about 40 hd movies and 3 seasons of a tv series per month on netflix

I'm sure. But that's nothing else, no gaming, no Pandora etc... I can tell you I pretty much just use Netflix and hulu , that brings me to my cap. If my son is with me he games then I'm over.

What's the point of tiered speed then? So I can pay more and get to my cap quicker? 250 is not about service for cable companies its about money lost to people like me who refuse to pay for horrible cable programming, reruns and commercials, Period. If they bumped the cap to 350 you'd see no difference in your quality of service.