Best Browser: Opera Mini, Opera mobile, Netfront, or Mozilla Minimo?

Search This thread

Menneisyys

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2005
www.winmobiletech.com
On that note,
Does anyone know how to configure your WM6.1 device (Tilt) to launch Opera Mini whenever I click on a link from an email for example, instead of IE, which is the default browser?

-------
just read the "bible" and it said you cannot launch OM directly from email links. That is a bummer.

Sorry, I haven't had the time to update ALL my previous Bibles (there're tons of them - just think of how much time I'd need to update all of them whenever a new, say, hack is implemented / new version is released) to reflect the latest changes. You'll need to check out http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=347689 . Start at the END of the thread and read in the opposite direction because the latest enhancements aren't reflected in the thread starter post.

trjons

Nov 6, 2006
My Opera Mobile automatically opens email links instead of letting PIE open them.

I never remember setting it up this way. Is this a registry setting? What if you want to switch back?

jdmspecdc5

Aug 22, 2007
has anyone else had a problem downloading opera on their phones? the midlet manager opens and looks like it'll download but gives an error that the url is not found.

wormdevil

Dec 26, 2005
Hey thanks for that Kaiser/Tilt (I have an AT&T Tilt branded Kaiser) IE Slow Scroll Cab fix. Brilliant!
This issue was driving me nuts!!! Only today on my second attempt at researching this issue did I find this post.
Thanks!!!

stolli

Apr 1, 2007
can anybody link me to picsel for the kaiser? i was using it for my Wizard but cant remember what i did with the file...

thanks!

dardar2

Jan 29, 2008
Opera mini is great... on my sony ericsson K810i.

But for polaris or kaiser, Netfront 3.5 technical preview is awesome.
The rendering is perfect and it is as fast or faster than opera mini. It is like desktop browsing. Please install and see by yourself. The 3.5 technical preview is valid till 31 march I think.

I have tried picsel browser, minimo and opera mobile (9.5 beta) but my choise is for sure netfront 3.5

dara

dungbeetle

Dec 14, 2007
ABQ
I couldn't figure out why everyone was so gung ho about opera mini, til I realized I was using mini v.3, not v.4. Holy cow, big difference!

I have used and tried the following:

1. Opera Mini v3.1.7203 advanced
2. Opera Mobile v8.6
3. Minimo
4. Netfront v3.5
5. PIE

I dislike Opera Mini because you have to go into Java, and it's not that great for me. Yes, it is fast but useless for my needs.
PIE is usable but not great.
Opera 8.6 is very good, handles downloads well and I like the tabs. This is my second choice for a ppc browser.
Minimo is crapola...it is actually unusable it is so slow. I use Firefox on my laptop and it's great, but minimo sux like electrolux.
NETFRONT is the way to go for mobiles!!! You get VGA resolution up to 1024x860 I think and it has smart scroll which is as smooth as silk. It is also much faster than any of the other browsers above. I have only started using this and I haven't tried downloading anything yet. It also has tabs and lots of user-defined settings for display etc. Very fast and the closest to a pc browsing experience IMHO.

I will keep you posted as to my experience with Netfront v3.5.

redsrule2500

Dec 10, 2007
Oklahoma
I have used and tried the following:

1. Opera Mini v3.1.7203 advanced
2. Opera Mobile v8.6
3. Minimo
4. Netfront v3.5
5. PIE

I dislike Opera Mini because you have to go into Java, and it's not that great for me. Yes, it is fast but useless for my needs.
PIE is usable but not great.
Opera 8.6 is very good, handles downloads well and I like the tabs. This is my second choice for a ppc browser.
Minimo is crapola...it is actually unusable it is so slow. I use Firefox on my laptop and it's great, but minimo sux like electrolux.
NETFRONT is the way to go for mobiles!!! You get VGA resolution up to 1024x860 I think and it has smart scroll which is as smooth as silk. It is also much faster than any of the other browsers above. I have only started using this and I haven't tried downloading anything yet. It also has tabs and lots of user-defined settings for display etc. Very fast and the closest to a pc browsing experience IMHO.

I will keep you posted as to my experience with Netfront v3.5.

I just keep Opera Mini 4 open in the background all the time, and hit my shortcut button to be instantly taken to the web. Works fantastic, no loading java crap! Also, upgrade to 4....insanely better!!

NinJak101

Feb 19, 2008
can you point me in the right direction for the link for opera mini 4 for the tilt i did not see it on there web page

Thanks

phatphat

Jun 1, 2006
UK
Opera Mini seems like it has a good interface (thanks for the recommendations all), but how do you get it to stop the warning messages about starting a data call etc.?

Also, with IEM I open flash video, via TCMP + Flashbundle suggested here on XDA (treocentral link on the Youtube thread), but I can't seem to get any flash media working with opera.

Any ideas?

grandpareza

Jan 5, 2008
When I had the Touch (Elf) it gave me the option to never ask persmission again for internet access. It was Opera 4. So I wonder if there is any tweaking that can be done to the applet (or whatever) to disable that "feature". Even though its not really a feature...more like an annoyance.

swiftgs

Sep 18, 2007
Re

I use mainly 3 different browsers....

1. Opera mini (because it's so damned fast)
2. Piscel browser (runs flawless on my tytn! and has a very nice interface)
3. PIE (for other things, for some strange reason after my tytn came back from repair i don't suffer from any slow scroll lag at all!

cheers

shadowlabs9

Aug 6, 2007
Hi,

My vote goes to Netfront 3.5, fast, no scroll probles and stable (no bugs untill now)...

Cheers

DJ_Bizarro

Jan 27, 2008
Houston, TX
ive been using opera mini for not even a day. like i said the ask permission thing is annoying but i also cannot paste urls, i dont like having to see a different screen to enter text and after about 10 minutes of use it freezes and since i installed the app (today) my internet connection seems to work sparingly, after a complete restore to factory settings and resyncing all my data it works fine for now... i dont like opera for desktop so i dont know why i thought it would be different on my phone, oh well live and learn