Wireless qi charging - works for GNex

Search This thread

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Well I'm sure you could, depends on how thick it is. Perhaps a stock extended cover. I don't know about the extended battery though. It's pushing stock cases as it is.

I'm not 100% sold on the USB port and flex cable. I guess if you use a TPU case, this would mostly be concealed but I've seen these where they actually attach between the battery and battery contact inside the phone (double sided flex cable with copper connections on both side). That would be ideal and I'm sure it would work.

Similar to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Standard-Wireless-Charging-Receiver/dp/B00BCC2B1Q/ref=pd_sim_cps_16

It just bends to go in between the battery and phone contacts. These are also meant to go under the battery cover. Our batteries use 4 prongs, not sure if this one listed is compatible. I would buy one in a heartbeat if someone posted a link to one that works.

My N7 is Qi capable and I have a Qi Charger, but it goes largely unused. I'd use this in my bed room though for night charging. I'd like to keep the USB port open still for charging normally in my car or when traveling like normal.

Edit----------------------
I don't see any actual easy way to do this. The one I posted before actually uses battery contacts under the battery cover that is specifically for this. The Galaxy Nexus does NOT have these. However with a little engineering, it should be just as easy. The battery has 4 contacts. The battery is labeled with (+) and (-) pins. One could probably grab one of these for the Galaxy S3, turn it sideways so the contacts are close to the battery pins, and use some kind of copper foil to wrap around the battery tabs and to the Coil leads.

I use an extended battery, which leaves me with little room. I have been wanting to experiment with cutting one of my backplates in half to just cover the top portion around the camera, giving me some additional room for stuff like this. Probably wouldn't work unless I used one of my stock standard batteries. Losing a few mAh for Qi might be a good trade off though.

The mod would actually adhere to the battery itself, thus no physical modifications are done to the phone. So I could always pick one of these up, hack a battery, and test it.

bt9l.png

Last edited:
Reactions: pkosnovsky

tclam662

Sep 28, 2008
Mars
Well I'm sure you could, depends on how thick it is. Perhaps a stock extended cover. I don't know about the extended battery though. It's pushing stock cases as it is.

I'm not 100% sold on the USB port and flex cable. I guess if you use a TPU case, this would mostly be concealed but I've seen these where they actually attach between the battery and battery contact inside the phone (double sided flex cable with copper connections on both side). That would be ideal and I'm sure it would work.

Similar to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Standard-Wireless-Charging-Receiver/dp/B00BCC2B1Q/ref=pd_sim_cps_16

It just bends to go in between the battery and phone contacts. These are also meant to go under the battery cover. Our batteries use 4 prongs, not sure if this one listed is compatible. I would buy one in a heartbeat if someone posted a link to one that works.

My N7 is Qi capable and I have a Qi Charger, but it goes largely unused. I'd use this in my bed room though for night charging. I'd like to keep the USB port open still for charging normally in my car or when traveling like normal.

I don't see any actual easy way to do this. The one I posted before actually uses battery contacts under the battery cover that is specifically for this. The Galaxy Nexus does NOT have these. However with a little engineering, it should be just as easy. The battery has 4 contacts. The battery is labeled with (+) and (-) pins. One could probably grab one of these for the Galaxy S3, turn it sideways so the contacts are close to the battery pins, and use some kind of copper foil to wrap around the battery tabs and to the Coil leads.

I use an extended battery, which leaves me with little room. I have been wanting to experiment with cutting one of my backpates in half to just cover the top portion around the camera, giving me some additional room for stuff like this. Probably wouldn't work unless I used one of my stock standard batteries. Losing a few mAh for Qi might be a good trade off though.

The mod would actually adhere to the battery itself, thus no physical modifications are done to the phone. So I could always pick one of these up, hack a battery, and test it.

bt9l.png

I have broken my Gnex's micro USB port recently and I am going to change the whole part:
sku_138786_1.jpg

A broken usb port, believe me is very annoying and I am thinking of adding qi charging capability to my Gnex to reduce the workload my my new port.

I don't know if there will be a risk of overcharging if a qi coil is attached directly to the battery, as a qi receiver coil converts oscillating magnetic field to 5V only.

How about adding a LiPo charging circuit that will cut off when the battery is full:
T2maLfXaFXXXXXXXXX_!!135306224.jpg

This exact board measured 10mm(w) X 12mm(l) X 2mm (h), a minor back cover mod is need to install that.

Last edited:

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I actually did this to my GNEX. Although not how I pictured before.

I actually took a soldering iron and melted the plastic under the battery door where the pogo pins come in. From there I soldered 2 balls of solder over the outer pin contacts. From there I just laid the Qi pad on it to make contact and taped in place.

I used a slim case, so it required I cut one of my battery doors in half and used a standard battery. Extended battery would kinda work but the case would buldge at the bottom making a poor fit.

In the end, I glued the Qi pad to my feather case with poxy. With the case on, it kept the contacts connected. All that was visible was a small hole under the battery door. Worked great. Don't even have to take it apart.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Um, it's not bad. I charged at night. I used a 750mAh Qi Pad, so it was faster then a slow charge but not quite as fast as a quick charge.

It was super easy. I had pictures up on Swappa when I sold it. If I can find the listing I'll post the link. It was probably the only GNex with Qi.

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
http://swappa.com/listing/WZV666/samsung-galaxy-nexus-verizon

There's my post with pics of the Qi mod. Took a soldering iron and melted some plastic under the battery door, exposing the 3 pins. 2 solder balls on the outer pins. I squeezed a small piece of toothpick over the middle pin to provide separation. Then just laid down the pad and taped it. Took 5 min.

I squeezed all mine down to fit into feather case. You'll see the pics in the post. Pretty easy to follow.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried this under a TPU case on my GSM GNex and it works!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-wireless...S_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item2eca5c000c

Edit: there are cheaper listings for it, search and get it for less.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Similar to this one:

I use an extended battery, which leaves me with little room. I have been wanting to experiment with cutting one of my backplates in half to just cover the top portion around the camera, giving me some additional room for stuff like this. Probably wouldn't work unless I used one of my stock standard batteries. Losing a few mAh for Qi might be a good trade off though.

bt9l.png