Stuck at "Data.img" thru odin. Possible EMMC brick fix! Thanks to Jaymoon pg.#44

Search This thread

Houndog101

Feb 16, 2011
Fallston, Md.
I have the same issue with my phone and it was definately CWM touch that messed it up . Samsung has a one year warranty on these phones.....and even though mine was bought as soon as they were available which was last june I called samsung and was told my phone is indeed under warranty until december of this year by it`s lot number...so as you can imagine I am sending mine directly to sammy free shipping out and back ;) She expected to have my phone back to me in five to seven days !!! Samsung support number 1-800-726-7864 Hope this helps !!!

I called them and they told me to run Kies.. :confused:

forest1971

Apr 3, 2012
In the case of the international Note not everyone has the replacement options that the E4GT has, where most can replace it for $35 and *maybe* $100 if you go through Asurion. People that have made custom .PIT files - like hg42 - have also supported the position that this shouldn't be a permanent fix; just a way to restore the device to functionality until you can replace the device (which should be in a timely fashion.).

This also will not resolve issues where the lockup occurs in the boot process, so not everyone will be able to be saved.

Lastly thanks to the information from Mr. Sumrall and hurculean efforts of those like Entropy512 and Sfhub several developers are working to remove the offending code from their ICS builds to avoid the brick altogether. This will help stem the tide of bricks due to the eMMC lockup.

Until then people are still recommended to wipe from GB kernels and replace if bricked.

What you try to say about what hg42 is certainly untrue. He is still very passionate and made more PIT files to help people dealing with different cases. You can say anything about this method but should not try to attribute your position to someone in a misleading manner. Are talking people into paying money to get it fixed by ss? I would appreciate if you could point me to the quote of what hg42 says.

From few dozen feedback from people who have unbrick their Note using repartition: For most, it works perfectly and they are so happy. For some there are some problems like random freeze and most of them solve that after change rom and finally find a rom that works. Some people have large damage to sdcard that they find it hard to live with and try to remove all traces of custom roms and then seek repair through warranty. That is about it.

I always recommend to people: if they can have warranty covered then go for it no need to try re-partition. For those who is not covered, this method can give them a way out. That should be the sensible way of advice.

Last edited:

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Whatever works for you. There are limitations though. It isn't a universal fix and for most people it is simpler to use warranty. If they don't have warranty, then it is a decision point what they want to do.

As to paying Samsung, they are not charging for the warranty repair. You just need to send it in and wait a week. The $35 is for "advanced replacement" through Sprint, where you get a new phone same day or in a few days if they need to order.

Last edited:

mremale

Jan 5, 2012
Las Vegas
This is what exactly happened to me two days ago. I am NO professional but i would say that you are hard bricked. I tried everything and could not get passed the samsung galaxy screen. Data img would hang using one clicks and i could odin with tar and that would work, yet flashing, recovering, wiping didn't fix the problem when i could get process to work. I Just ended up, Odin 1.85 to EL29 Stock Not Rooted tar and heading off to sprint. I didn't have insurance but i told them that the hardware failed and never did any exchanges. They charged me 35 dollars and gave me a new galaxy.

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Clearing up the record

Forest, please check your PM. Won't go back and forth on things on threads when it's not necessary. Until then I will remove my mention of hg42 in an show of good faith.

*Edit* In place of my previous post I will just say that I agree with the post by sfhub above me and forest's posts (both above and below.)

Perhaps it's time for me to take a step back from saying anything at the moment - I'm not trying to piss anyone off.

Last edited:
Reactions: forest1971

forest1971

Apr 3, 2012
Whatever works for you. There are limitations though. It isn't a universal fix and for most people it is simpler to use warranty. If they don't have warranty, then it is a decision point what they want to do.

As to paying Samsung, they are not charging for the warranty repair. You just need to send it in and wait a week. The $35 is for "advanced replacement" through Sprint, where you get a new phone same day or in a few days if they need to order.

That is sensible! I agree

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Forest, please check your PM. Won't go back and forth on things on threads when it's not necessary.

Thanks for the nice response! I guess we are the same just try to give some help with the hope it is useful for people, and perhaps find some joy in doing it. Let's just move on.

cheers,

Oscar_david

Apr 12, 2012
Wow... this thread has been exhausting to read. I have this problem with my phone unfortunately, and read the whole thing to see if there was a solution.

After taking a hint from one of the more recent posts, I have gotten my phone to boot. But it's not a permanent solution. AND, I have only been able to do it because I installed a temporary boot of EL29 a while back. So this solution won't help anyone that doesn't already have that, OR is unable to put it in their device.

To see what I'm talking about, check out QBKing77's video about it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdx-kIxpitg

It has the links you need to accomplish it as well. and while you can Odin the kernel required, you might not be able to get the multiboot folder onto your device. If anyone with this problem cares to try this, I would suggest getting a hold of an SD card adapter that you can use to plug into your computer and place the multiboot folder onto the micro SD, and see if it will run from there. I placed it on the internal SD myself, as per QB's instructions, so I'm not certain it will run from the external SD.. but it might.

As stated though, I don't consider this a permanent solution... especially since there are limitations to what you can do with this install. It is intended as a temporary boot to update profile and PRL.

So my real question is: Could I now try to reformat the /data partition while I'm booted into this temporary mode? if so, does anyone have any insight as to how I might do that?

Any further help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone that has attempted to help thus far, especially SFHUB.

and thanks in advance for future efforts.

cheers.

edit: so at least my phone is functional. but I just realized this temporary boot does not allow root privileges, so that might create a problem in trying to format /data, I'm thinking. *sigh...

edit2: one last thing before I catch some zzzz's : I copied the multiboot folder over to external SD and have verified that it does boot. Also, changes are saved; I thought I would lose data such as installed apps etc.. but this temporary boot acts just like any normal install-- just that it's stock GB (bleh)..

Last edited:

forest1971

Apr 3, 2012
HI: If your phone is having problem with data partition due to the eMMC bug, then try to format it will not help. So far only re-partition workaround seems to help.

cheers,

AndroidRocksSocks

Aug 10, 2011
Tennessee
HI: If your phone is having problem with data partition due to the eMMC bug, then try to format it will not help. So far only re-partition workaround seems to help.

cheers,

Hi, the only workaround I've found was for the galaxy note. I got up to the umount part to unmount some things but after, idk. Is there a guide or thread for the e4gt or do I go by the note guide?

forest1971

Apr 3, 2012
Hi: The address of the emmc should be the same, so you should be able to run parted (using the command line provided in the Note' guide) and print the partition. The partition table of Ep4g is different from Note's as we can see it from Drnull posts in this thread.

The procedures to scan to check if the partitions have errors are also the same.

So you just need to make some intuitive adjustment when creating new partitions.

It should be noted that the kernel attached in the guide is just to provide the partition tools. So, after re-partition you will need to flash a good kernel for Ep4g. Then use that CWM for Ep4g to format system and data partition to convert them from ext2 to ext4 format before installing rom.

Once done with partition you can flash rom using CWM or odin or restored backup if you still have one store somewhere in your PC. (for some reasons using CWM to install custom rom.zip or restore backup has more chance to work than using odin to flash roms.tar).

I guess Drnull certainly can throw in help if he has time.

cheers,

Last edited:

Jaymoon

Jul 29, 2007
Oregon
After trying to follow about 3 or 4 different threads on this issue, I finally came across the guide here for the Galaxy Note: ATTENTION! my way out of a MMC_CAP_ERASE brick! Lucky for E4GT owners with the brick issue, it works for us too! (brick issue meaning your phone powers on, and you can get in to recovery, but can't format /data or install a rom)

I just tried this today, and so far so good. First off, the guide is worth a read to understand the issue, and how they went about solving it ...but we'll save all that reading for afterwards... :silly:

Head over to the ATTENTION! my way out of a MMC_CAP_ERASE brick! thread, and scroll down to the section Update: instructions for unexperienced users

Read those instructions carefully so you have a basic understanding what is going on. You'll also need this 16GB file PIT file: Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit

(Updated: The OP added specific E4GT PIT files to avoid confusion, after this post was written. The Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit is confirmed to work, yet as time goes on, there may be a better solution discovered.)

Now open up ODIN. Make sure your phone is plugged in and in Download Mode (When phone is off, hold down Power and Vol Down until you see the warning screen). There should also be a yellow box in ODIN meaning your phone is ready.

Choose the 16GB PIT file in the PIT box. Select the EG30 Stock Rom in the PDA box. Cross your fingers, and Start the process.

If the process Passes (Green), then EG30 Stock should start booting up!

If you're cool with that, you're done. Otherwise, use e4gtauto-sfx to root and install CWM, then flash a *good* ICS rom such as Phantom's Blazer Rom. :good:

* one small note though, using the Standard PIT fix, will decrease your internal storage from 16GB, to a total of 8GB. There are other PIT files you could try to get some of that space back, or just write it off as a loss, and get a bigger MicroSD card. :p

Last edited:

Oscar_david

Apr 12, 2012
Holy Carp this worked!

I just tried this today, and so far so good. First off, the guide is worth a read to understand the issue, and how they went about solving it ...but we'll save all that reading for afterwards... :silly:

Whoa!!! just booted after following the thread you pointed to! Thanks a bunch!!

Let the ROM addiction continue!.. I guess I'll never learn.

Thanks again.

cheers.

AndroidRocksSocks

Aug 10, 2011
Tennessee
Finally, the key has been found.

After trying to follow about 3 or 4 different threads on this issue, I finally came across the guide here for the Galaxy Note: ATTENTION! my way out of a MMC_CAP_ERASE brick! Lucky for E4GT owners with the brick issue, it works for us too! (brick issue meaning your phone powers on, and you can get in to recovery, but can't format /data or install a rom)

Head over to the ATTENTION! my way out of a MMC_CAP_ERASE brick! thread, and scroll down to the section Update: instructions for unexperienced users

Read those instructions carefully, and make sure you are using the 16GB file from pits-patched-standard.zip

Now open up ODIN. Make sure your phone is plugged in and in Download Mode (When phone is off, hold down Power and Vol Down until you see the warning screen). There should also be a yellow box in ODIN meaning your phone is ready.

Choose the 16GB PIT file in the PIT box. Select the EG30 Stock Rom in the PDA box. Cross your fingers, and Start the process.

If you're cool with that, you're done. Otherwise, use e4gtauto-sfx to root and install CWM, then flash a *good* ICS rom such as Phantom's Blazer Rom. :good:

* one small note though, using the Standard PIT fix, will decrease your internal storage from 16GB, to a total of 8GB. There are other PIT files you could try to get some of that space back, or just write it off as a loss, and get a bigger MicroSD card. :p

I had ten days before my samsung shipping label expired. 6 days with no solution and a non working Touch. If I couldn't fix my phone today, I would be sending it out before the night's over.

This has fixed my problem. I thank you so very much!
After flashing EG30 Stock thru ODIN, I went into a loop on the sprint 4g screen.
This post solved that.
Now I am going through the setup screen on my E4GT. Once again, THANK YOU!

Oscar_david

Apr 12, 2012

Once again thanks.

So I'll have to make do with the reduced memory for now. But I hope to see an update w/ further info on recovering full capacity. I've tried a few other pit files to no avail.

cheers.

forest1971

Apr 3, 2012
Wow,

It is interesting and nice to see that the custom PIT file for Note from hg42 also work for Ep4g! congratulations!

From the partition table of the two device, I can see that now you will have a larger system partition of 893 MB (instead of the original 537MB) and a smaller cache partition 210MB (compared to 315MB before). Those changes should not matter. Just remember to also format cache for it to work.

One thing need to be noted is that the modem partition has changed location and you need to make sure that the install rom need to have modem in it.Otherwise you can flash it separately using odin if the rom does not have it.

cheers,

Last edited:

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida

Read those instructions carefully, and make sure you are using the 16GB file from pits-patched-standard.zip

Honestly this needs a bump......

Reactions: caspersfi

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't take donations. Thanks is good enough.

Read those instructions carefully so you have a basic understanding what is going on. You'll also need this 16GB file PIT file: Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit

(Updated: The OP added specific E4GT PIT files to avoid confusion, after this post was written. The Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit is confirmed to work, yet as time goes on, there may be a better solution discovered.)

Step by step instructions

So after months of trying...flashing all the one clicks they showed and of odining stocks and ics I just got to flash al el26 modem and the calks format all and cyanogenmod 9?!?! and thats all?! or I have to do the galaxy note page that is shown?! confuseed :eek:

Okay.
    1) create a folder on your desktop. call it "epic4gtouch". Something...

2) Download "pits-patched-standard.zip"

3) open the zip, select both "Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit" and "Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit.txt" and drag them to the "epic4gtouch" folder you created.

4) Download ODIN.
    *The link should go to Google Docs. The two arrows on the far right are clickable. Click, then "download". (Download both .ini and .exe)
    **Place those in a new folder called "ODIN", place the ODIN folder in the "epic4gtouch" folder.

5) Download this "EG30 stock rom".
    *Place it in the "epic4gtouch" folder.

6) Open the ODIN folder, then open "odin3 v1.85"

7) On your phone, go into download mode: hold volume down + power.
    *"Warning...blah blah..." Release those buttons, then press the volume up button.

8) Connect your phone to your pc with the usb cable.

9) Back on ODIN, a box should highlight yellow. The big white box on the corner should say added.

10) Click the PIT button, navigate to the "epic4gtouch" folder on your desktop. Choose the 16GB PIT file.

11) Click the PDA button, navigate to the "epic4gtouch" folder on your desktop.
    Choose the "Stock-EG30" rom.

12) Make sure "Auto Reboot" and "Re-Partition" are the ONLY ones ticked. Also make sure the usb cable is not loose.

13) Press the big button "Start."

Once it's complete, it will boot to the EG30 Stock rom.
    Mine went into a loop on the Sprint 4G Screen animation.
    This post solved that.
    ______
    Put the Calk's_FORMAT_ALL script, the gapps package, and THIS rom CM9 alpha5 all on the external SD card.

Go back to ODIN, hit the Reset button. Click PDA select the EL26CWM kernel.
    Untick re-partition AND reboot.
    Connect phone with pc via usb cable.
    Press the big Start button.
    Once complete, unplug, take the battery out, re insert it. Volume Up + power.
    Hold till you get into recovery.
    Flash Calk's_FORMAT_ALL script.
    Flash the ROM.
    Flash the gapps package.
    Reboot.
    ____

Anyway, thats pretty much what I did to fix my phone.
    Follow all the above if the original post is too confusing. (which really... it isn't at all.) :highfive:
    So it sounds like the common factor is people used CWM Touch to restore their backup?

I am uploading an ODIN One-Click to try in case anyone still has their phone. It'll be ready in around 35 minutes.
    FYI, CWM Touch recovery has also caused some problems with BlazerROM. I don't know if this information would help figure out the issue, but i'll bring it up just in case.

A few people were on the 'Hitman' kernel (comes with Touch recovery) and tried to flash BlazerROM v3.8 (latest at the time) and got stuck at boot loops or would just hang at the Samsung logo. People were able to restore back to a nandroid of v3.7 though. Some people used the one-click ODIN'd back to EL29 stock without issue as well. If you look at the BlazerROM thread in the dev section, it starts around page 417. PhantomHacker also suggests not using hitman (read: touch recovery) to flash his ROMs.

So it seems CMW Touch Recovery is the common denominator, but folks in the BlazerROM thread were able to restore successfully, either through nandroid backups or odin. I'm wondering if its the combination of touch recovery and the FBxx leaks that's causing the /data corruptions.

I am still around, but had to travel at the last minute.

It is hard to do any debugging without my dev setup, so i wouldn't expect any updates from me until the end of the week.

Before i left i think i at least figured out why cwm touch was causing issues for some but not others. As mentioned earlier cwm touch already behaves funky on gingerbread roms.

What tipped the scale appears to be if you used the cwm touch update.zip to "fake flash" using the stock ics fb09/fb15/fb17 recovery. When you "fake flash" cwm touch, you end up combining a cwm touch recovery, that was already behaving funny with a linux 2.6 kernel, with the ics linux 3.0 linux kernel. This was just too much and when cwm touch went to format or restore it hoarked some meta data making it impossible for utilities to access, format, or repartition /data.

The people who did not have fatal situations with cwm touch didn't the fake flash on top of the 3.0 linux kernel. They odin flashed a 2.6 gb kernel with cwm touch packed into the initramfs.

So the moral of the story is don't go fake flashing recoveries with arbitrary kernels, you might not like what you get.

Btw both update.zip and rom manager do fake flashes.

Sorry for the typos, i am using swype.