How should the perfect Vehicle Dock for Note II look like? From iBOLT...

Which type of microUSB charging connection should the new Car Dock have?

• Fixed microUSB position (does not work with cases)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Flexible microUSB "arm" (works with all cases)

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Zenin

Jun 18, 2012
the same as what other people have said, it should just slot in to a connector and then be able to rotate. also the dock needs to be less bulky and lightweight. A separate piece that allows it to be stuck on vents would be sweet.

and lastly your user interface needs some cleaning up to look more minimalistic :)

good work guys.

MAK8448

Mar 21, 2012
I like the look of the s2 dock BUT I think it needs to be usable in portrait and landscape. So the clip need to be bottom/top not on the sides like on the s2 this way the phone charger is not on a wire but as part of the clip.

I think if I was you guys I agree you should do air vent options and dash/windows holder.

Wireless charging... As someone has said if it can push enough power to at least keep the battery where it is when the phone is maxed out. Best case actually charge the phone.

It needs to handle covers, weather they are flip covers of silicone. It need to handle them... Last thing colours. White, black, orange, blue, green... Sure you get the idea. :)

ChrisEmerson

Feb 7, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Wireless charging seems a bit pointless to me - it will mean replacing parts of the phone since it doesn't support wireless charging out the box, and why bother when every car has a power supply anyway? Just seems like an unnecessary expense to me.

I'm not fussed about 3.5mm connection either - most modern cars support Bluetooth A2DP, which I would use instead of a jack, as it gives you more control anyway (like being able to change tracks from the car steering wheel controls for example) - so again, just unnecessary complications.

The main thing a car dock needs to have though is a release date ASAP! It's amazing that phone manufacturers don't release all these kinds of accessories along with the phone - I have a nice new phone, but no way to put it in a car dock, it's crazy! I'll be buying the first cradle that comes to market where it auto connects the charger - if that's an iBolt one, that'll be the one I get! If not, then not...

Reactions: twanskys204
Wireless charging seems a bit pointless to me - it will mean replacing parts of the phone since it doesn't support wireless charging out the box, and why bother when every car has a power supply anyway? Just seems like an unnecessary expense to me.

I'm not fussed about 3.5mm connection either - most modern cars support Bluetooth A2DP, which I would use instead of a jack, as it gives you more control anyway (like being able to change tracks from the car steering wheel controls for example) - so again, just unnecessary complications.

The main thing a car dock needs to have though is a release date ASAP! It's amazing that phone manufacturers don't release all these kinds of accessories along with the phone - I have a nice new phone, but no way to put it in a car dock, it's crazy! I'll be buying the first cradle that comes to market where it auto connects the charger - if that's an iBolt one, that'll be the one I get! If not, then not...

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the world still doesn't have a car or headunit that has Bluetooth A2DP connection. And there's no way that people are purchasing a new car or headunit, just to suit their smartphone. I'd hardly call the 3.5mm connection being an "unnecessary" complication.

In fact, I'd even be willing to bet that majority of people don't even have AUX 3.5mm connector.

Last edited:

csmits

May 13, 2010
to the topic starter.
ANy idea as to when the car dock will come out?

my thoughts on a perfect dock

- quality and strong
- easy to get phone in and out (so you are not damaging the phone)
- usb cable easy to insert
- portrait and landscape
- to be used with or without a cover (I am thinking og getting the offical flip cover, but this is a cover that replaces the battery cover of the phone so not easy to take on and off to put in the car dock.
- strong suction (so it doesn't come off suddenly while driving)
- wirless charging sounds cool tough. now there is always that stupid wire from the phone to the outlet. Its esthetically less pleasing. (bit worried about radiation tough)
- not too expensive :)

Thanks for creating a dock for this awesome phone and asking us, the customers for input.
I think this phone will sell very good and basically its the perfect car GPS with that gorgeous 5,5 Amoled screen :cool:

ChrisEmerson

Feb 7, 2012
Nottingham, UK
I forgot an important thing - it must put the phone into car dock mode using the appropriate resistor between pins 4 and 5 on the micro USB (or however Samsung do it - I've come from an HTC phone)

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the world still doesn't have a car or headunit that has Bluetooth A2DP connection. And there's no way that people are purchasing a new car or headunit, just to suit their smartphone. I'd hardly call the 3.5mm connection being an "unnecessary" complication.

In fact, I'd even be willing to bet that majority of people don't even have AUX 3.5mm connector.

You don't even have to do that - you can get pretty cheap units that will take a bluetooth connection and output it to 3.5mm jack, or even a radio transmitter. It would even work as a phone headset/handsfree kit then, and also be almost guaranteed to work with any future phone you get.

I forgot an important thing - it must put the phone into car dock mode using the appropriate resistor between pins 4 and 5 on the micro USB (or however Samsung do it - I've come from an HTC phone)

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

You don't even have to do that - you can get pretty cheap units that will take a bluetooth connection and output it to 3.5mm jack, or even a radio transmitter. It would even work as a phone headset/handsfree kit then, and also be almost guaranteed to work with any future phone you get.

My point is that majority of people wouldn't do that, so having a 3.5mm adaptor is far from unnecessary

Sent from MoPho Android phone.

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
Reading posts...

Thanks for making all the good and insightful posts everyone! We at iBOLT.co have read each one and we really appreciate the good input. We'll return in the next week or so with a summary observation and comments to all the issues raised in this thread. Again, thanks and keep posting!

Last edited:

ChrisEmerson

Feb 7, 2012
Nottingham, UK
My point is that majority of people wouldn't do that, so having a 3.5mm adaptor is far from unnecessary

The problem with that is that the charging connector and the 3.5mm connector are on opposite sides of the phone, so I think accommodating the 3.5mm jack would just make the dock really cumbersome. If I can't dock and undock the phone with 1 hand, it has failed in its purpose as far as I'm concerned! I'd have no problem with it if they were both on the same side and it was a cheap thing to add (as long as plugging a headphone jack in to the bottom doesn't do anything like disable bluetooth audio or something), but I think it would just add too much cost when there are other (and in my opinion better) options available.

Reactions: twanskys204

nineninenine

Oct 12, 2012
Embed an NFC chip in the holder so that an app like NFC Tag can recognise it.

Imagine the possibilities: BT on, Wifi off, Mobile Data on, GPS on, Nav app on whenever the phone is seated in the holder.

DMax99

Aug 30, 2010
Thanks for making all the good and insightful posts everyone! We at iBOLT.co have read each one and we really appreciate the good input. We'll return in the next week or so with a summary observation and comments to all the issues raised in this thread. Again, thanks and keep posting!

Hi,

When will it be out? I really want a dock version one now. :p

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

peekeesh

Oct 23, 2010
i would prefer it to have wireless charging capability and can handle portrait/landscape configuration.

The problem with that is that the charging connector and the 3.5mm connector are on opposite sides of the phone, so I think accommodating the 3.5mm jack would just make the dock really cumbersome. If I can't dock and undock the phone with 1 hand, it has failed in its purpose as far as I'm concerned! I'd have no problem with it if they were both on the same side and it was a cheap thing to add (as long as plugging a headphone jack in to the bottom doesn't do anything like disable bluetooth audio or something), but I think it would just add too much cost when there are other (and in my opinion better) options available.

I don't understand why that would make a difference. Take a look at the Motorola link i posted a few posts back. If Motorola could make an integrated 3.5mm jack with the micro usb, then no reason it can't be done by others.

In fact, iBolt did it for their LTEvo dock. The micro usb plugs into the dock. The integrated 3.5mm adaptor is connected where the usb portion plugs into the car charger, so this would be a 1 handed operation. It sounds to me, like you've never seen or used a motorola car dock before. They are by FAR the best at creating car docks and smartphone integration. I've never used my 3.5mm jack on my photon, while my phone one is docked. I just slide my phone into the dock, push the holder down to keep it in place, open power amp, press play, and go. My 3.5mm adaptor just stays in the car and never comes out.

Last edited:

finalhit

Jan 12, 2009

check out ibolt's s3 dock.

jellybean supports usb audio. most car headsets however, do not. so what they did use usb audio from the phone, and via the dock, relay it to a 3.5 jack. so you basically plug in the 3.5 mm audio from the dock to your car.

this way, both charing and audio-out is accomplished from the usb port, and you never have to plug directly into your phones 3.5mm jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ii3zU5W6Q

this is basically what i want for the note 2, but with portrait mode support, and cup-holder stand.

Reactions: drexappeal

jellybean supports usb audio. most car headsets however, do not. so what they did use usb audio from the phone, and via the dock, relay it to a 3.5 jack. so you basically plug in the 3.5 mm audio from the dock to your car.

this way, both charing and audio-out is accomplished from the usb port, and you never have to plug directly into your phones 3.5mm jack.

this is basically what i want for the note 2, but with portrait mode support, and cup-holder stand.

Exactly. This or make an adaptor like Motorola, but either way, the 3.5 plug NEVER has to be plugged into the phone, just supports audio played through USB. That way, people don't have to rely on crappy radio transmitters or have to buy a new car...LOL.

You hit the nail on the head, finaihit. The difference I'd like to see in the Note 2 dock (vs. the s3 dock) is portrait support and "dock-and-go" format w/ built in micro-USB (e.g. place the phone in the dock, push down a clamp to keep the phone in place, and go).

I wonder how difficult it would be to create a mold similar to the LTEvo dock that the've created, except so the phone is initially docked in portrait mode (so there's no danger of having the micro-USB port getting messed up), a lock at the top (that's strong enough to hold it in firmly), and then be able to work in landscape mode without the fear of the phone falling out of the dock.

rockysiccion

Aug 17, 2010
Just want to ask. Will the otiginal cardock of n7000 work on galaxy note 2?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

ChrisEmerson

Feb 7, 2012
Nottingham, UK

Ah fair enough, this would be fine. I have a 3A USB charger wired into my car under the dashboard so I wouldn't use the audio (I just use Bluetooth for that) but if it doesn't mean an extra plug then that's no problem. That is, as long as the dock trying to use USB audio doesn't disable the output over BT or anything like that - then it would just be an annoyance.

I've never used or seen a Motorola dock because I've never owned a Motorola phone.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone, we at iBOLT (www.ibolt.co) are working on a "real" car dock for the Note II. As we are finalizing the details it would be great to have feedback and input from this knowledgeable user community. Here's some of the questions where it would be great to have some feedback on: which type of microUSB charging is optimal (fixed position or flexible so it works with cases), car mode (good or not?), wireless charging (does anyone care?), aux-out through microUSB with 9ft cord (too long?). Well, sound off and let us know and we'll read every comment:) Thanks!
    I'm afraid that video confirms to me that you haven't managed to create a dock with one handed operation - you have to use 2 hands tu plug the usb cable in!

There seem to be a lot of one-arm persons in this thread. Don't see what's the big deal of using 2 hands to plug in a cable.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    nice, i was hoping you guys would make one for the note ii.

please have a stiff-necked cup holder version. i find them much more stable and secure. i personally have a mini cooper, and the cup holders are right in front of the console. the usb cable/aux are right behind them, so it's perfect. 9ft is definitely too long, and would just clutter up the car.

as per the connection, consider the samsung infuse route...where it snaps into the bottom of the phone. wireless charging is nice, but i wouldn't pay more than +20 bux for it.

speaking of which, please do portrait mode, not landscape. portrait is way better for navigation.

last and the least, consider changing your company name.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    So being ever curious I wanted to see the mechanism that they designed this with so I popped it apart. If you want to do this also just slide the bottom mounting points upward off the main back that houses the spring loaded top clamp, Once you get that off remove the four screws and you can open the main housing up which is pretty simple really...

While I had it apart I played around with stretching the springs out a bit to loosen things up since I knew I could replace them after seeing them. I started by just removing one spring but that was to loose so I then hyper stretched just one to see how that changed things up but it was still a bit tight... So I finally stretched the other to around the same amount and reassembled and I like the feel much better... The mount still flexes just a bit under the pressure but not near as much as it did before to the extent of causing the ball joint to move.

If you do this be careful as you can easily over stretch the springs... I stretched mine to the point that they still had light tension when closed all the way. Also, be aware that doing this would probably void any warranty this has.
    xProDock for Galaxy Note II ready soon

All, we are overwhelmed here at iBOLT by the level of interest for the new car-dock. Today we received the first production units and we are shipping by the end of December. We will post images and spec by Monday and also a link to where to purchase. It works with all cases and extended batteries. Stay tuned and thank you all for excellent comments and great discussions!