i dont believe g2x has 850mhz UMTS HSPA

Search This thread

Deliximus

Jan 22, 2010
I am from Vancouver bc. I am on the Bell network. Which operates from HSPA network only. Rogers is the only provider in Canada to have both gsm/edge and HSPA networks operational.

I bought a g2x, branded tmobile on the front itself and unlocked from a trusted source that I have repeatedly bought phones from. I get a new android cell phone every two months or so. Im familiar with setting up apn and so on.

The bell sim I use cannot find the bell network upon any kind of search. I can only find Wind and Mobilicity networks and they are AWS. I've tried reseating the sim and so forth, all fail. The sim works fine in my unlocked at&t atrix and Telus milestone.
I borrowed a rogers sim and it was able to register on the 2g network only. I entered the rogers 3g apn but it would disconnect when I put it on wcdma mode. Im convinced that either I have a broken umts radio or a faulty unit or tmobile screwed up. Looking for suggestions please and thanks .

nate420

Feb 19, 2011
eau claire,wisconsin
I am from Vancouver bc. I am on the Bell network. Which operates from HSPA network only. Rogers is the only provider in Canada to have both gsm/edge and HSPA networks operational.

I bought a g2x, branded tmobile on the front itself and unlocked from a trusted source that I have repeatedly bought phones from. I get a new android cell phone every two months or so. Im familiar with setting up apn and so on.

The bell sim I use cannot find the bell network upon any kind of search. I can only find Wind and Mobilicity networks and they are AWS. I've tried reseating the sim and so forth, all fail. The sim works fine in my unlocked at&t atrix and Telus milestone.
I borrowed a rogers sim and it was able to register on the 2g network only. I entered the rogers 3g apn but it would disconnect when I put it on wcdma mode. Im convinced that either I have a broken umts radio or a faulty unit or tmobile screwed up. Looking for suggestions please and thanks .

imma keep this too about 3 lines if i can....

it has to have 850mhz its stated by the FCC that it does... (google specs)
and if it didnt... tmobile would have a law suit.... please if you will give us this "trusted source"

and when did you get the G2x?

klmsu19

Oct 2, 2005
I'm sure Tmo didnt lie, the phone has to pass the FCC in the US for the bands they will use, so Im sure Tmo knows what bands it's capable of. they wouldnt mismark the box.

Sounds like whoever unlocked it didn't do it properly maybe.

dgr8one

Jul 7, 2007
Toronto
interesting...

only reason i was interested in the phone was the fact that it supported UMTS HSPA and AWS. wanted to use it on rogers but also wind down the road.

Deliximus

Jan 22, 2010
I got it this afternoon. The source is a guy I know that buys devices from the states and brings them up to sell. I bought several phones from him his year. I only wish this worked. The unlock definitely works or otherwise it wouldn't work on ROGERS' edge network.

dgr8one

Jul 7, 2007
Toronto
when you put in #*#*4636*#*# into the dialer, what options do you have under Phone Information?

any options for WCDMA only?

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Are there any *# codes that have been figured out for the G2x that might get you to a "Select Bands" menu? Maybe all you need to do is find a special menu and turn on the bands.

nate420

Feb 19, 2011
eau claire,wisconsin
I got it this afternoon. The source is a guy I know that buys devices from the states and brings them up to sell. I bought several phones from him his year. I only wish this worked. The unlock definitely works or otherwise it wouldn't work on ROGERS' edge network.

not to call you a liar but even if your "source" ordered the phone friday with the saturday shipping... how the **** did you get it through customs in one day?

just dont understand how you got the G2x unlocked from someone that buys them in the states and had it shipped so fast....................................
i shipped a 3 oz package to Toronto and it took 4 days... FROM WISCONSIN?!?!?!?!?!

klmsu19

Oct 2, 2005
Since ATT and Tmo haven't merged yet it could be locked out of the baseband right now too- to be unlocked by a software update after the merger.

klmsu19

Oct 2, 2005
if the merger is even accepted... LG would do all the hassle to lock a baseband till a merger happens that might not happen for 10000 reasons

Well that's the point, its still a year out at least. There'd be no reason to have a carrier branded phone unlocked to those bands yet until if/when it does happen.

If so it was a Tmo decision. And itd be a simple radio update in the form of an OTA update to unlock the bands, nothing too major.

nate420

Feb 19, 2011
eau claire,wisconsin
Well that's the point, its still a year out at least. There'd be no reason to have a carrier branded phone unlocked to those bands yet until if/when it does happen.

If so it was a Tmo decision. And itd be a simple radio update in the form of an OTA update to unlock the bands, nothing too major.

very true but most phones/devices that carry dual basebands are not locked to a carrier that i know of

klmsu19

Oct 2, 2005
There are lots of variables though. The baseband software may have just not been ready yet. They may want to keep it locked pending approval of the ATT deal, merely was put there are a precaution to not have an outdated device if it does go through.

Too many variables, but it for sure has those bands. Anyone can go to the FCC page and look up the tests.

nate420

Feb 19, 2011
eau claire,wisconsin
There are lots of variables though. The baseband software may have just not been ready yet. They may want to keep it locked pending approval of the ATT deal, merely was put there are a precaution to not have an outdated device if it does go through.

Too many variables, but it for sure has those bands. Anyone can go to the FCC page and look up the tests.

but i wanna know how this guy got a unlocked G2x from a "source" in the us so fast... faster than anyone of us ordering it.... (mine comes tomorrow when the sun is highest in the sky)

Deliximus

Jan 22, 2010
@dgr8one, let me check that out in the dialer.

@nate420, iwish I knew how he got it up so fast. I confirmed with him Sunday morning that I wanted it and he said unlock code probably be ready by Wednesday. Then he texts me today to say it's ready. Lol

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
It's too early to freak out, one person in Canada's having an issue with one G2X. T-Mobile would be insane to advertise the phone as quad-band and allow the media to report it that way if it's not really offered. If they didn't advertise it, but it had the capability, that would be another story. I'm sure a bunch of people are going to try and use it on AT&T over the new few days/weeks. Let's see what happens then.

Deliximus

Jan 22, 2010
I sincerely hope that whoever ordered for at&t purposes that it's only my device having issues.
I tried the #*#*4636*#*# but it only shows "mobile network not found ". My sim card is in there. Perhaps they will unlock the basebands somehow on the 20th.........

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I sincerely hope that whoever ordered for at&t purposes that it's only my device having issues.
I tried the #*#*4636*#*# but it only shows "mobile network not found ". My sim card is in there. Perhaps they will unlock the basebands somehow on the 20th.........

What part of the city are you in? I would be very curious to play with the phone and see what it's like, 3G or not...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sure there's a mod.

The first step is to plug it into craigslist. Make sure you have a reasonable price installed. Ensure that when you meet with the buyer, you take the money and your SIM with you before logging out. Then you will have to install the money somewhere that can sell you a compatible phone. Finally you'll have to put your SIM in the new phone and turn it on.

And voila, you've modded your phone ;-)

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using Tapatalk 2

Another mod would be to strap it to a phone which works on a network it doesn't work on. A further mod would be to put a brick of vanilla ice-cream between the two phones to have Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Wheres the tmobile 1700 band on there?

It's called AWS.
    i live in metro. I will be interested to take a look. call

I would remove your number from public view. Just send him a PM with it.
    Picking mine up at lunch, gonna request an unlock code online once I get off work... Throw the AT&T sim in, and report back my 3g findings...
    Thanks for doing this. This was the only reason that I was wanting to get this phone. If I cannot unlock the phone and use it on 3g on at&t, then it is not worth it (I already have a t-mobile phone that works on at&t and one that works on edge).

No prob, I'm in the same situation you are.. Either way, I can sell it and get my money back if it doesn't pan out..

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App