Buying a galaxy gear

Search This thread

Kawaiius

Mar 6, 2008
Best buy has the Galaxy Gear for 229 right now and im contemplating buying one..would it be better to wait until the Galaxy Gear 2? is it worth the upgrade...thanks guys

st3chn0

Jul 24, 2010
Leeds
Well those used for around a month on eBay go for £100~ so if your wanting to try but not sure go for a used one

In my opinion best to wait for gear 2 the price of the first will drop even further. And both are similar but 2 being thinner and little sleeker

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
Well those used for around a month on eBay go for £100~ so if your wanting to try but not sure go for a used one

In my opinion best to wait for gear 2 the price of the first will drop even further. And both are similar but 2 being thinner and little sleeker

Gear 2 will be pretty useless at the beginning, due to completly new OS and once again, lack of apps. I would just go for Gear 1 at the moment, put Null there, and wait few months how's situation with the Tizen.
i don't expect anything nice though.

st3chn0

Jul 24, 2010
Leeds
Gear 2 will be pretty useless at the beginning, due to completly new OS and once again, lack of apps. I would just go for Gear 1 at the moment, put Null there, and wait few months how's situation with the Tizen.
i don't expect anything nice though.

That is true completely forgot about the new os. Even if you are buying the 1st one I'd still wait for the price drop. Really just depends how long your willing to keep it for.

I just sold my watch after a month, have loads of other watches, dont get me wromg having the gear felt good for the first week but got bored of it after

Kawaiius

Mar 6, 2008
I was going to go get it today or tomorrow since it was 229..243 after tax or so...but if you think i should wait until the new one comes out in a month for a price drop i just may.

RikuDesu

Apr 7, 2012
I warn you in advance if you try to use the split it onto two cards in store option, using the online system, most of the employees don't know how to do it and it takes a long time for them to actually process that.

Last edited:

luckychef28

Aug 8, 2008
Amherst, MA
I warn you in advance if you try to split it onto two cars using the online system, most of the employees don't know how to do it and it takes a long time for them to actually process that .

I ordered online and chose Store Pick Up in the cart. No offense, but if AT&Ts store employees can't process a standard system transaction - not like I did something funny, they offered the option - that's bad training. It did take me a few extra minutes in the store because, they are still charging the $299.99, but everything turned out smooth. Just bring the card you used online and an ID.

H3Dude

Sep 16, 2008
Maryland
Best Buy matches Amazon prices that Amazon fulfills and ships. I just got one for $199 yesterday.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

danyvw

Dec 28, 2010
I will wait a little bit until the new Tizen-Gear arrive to the shelves and see if the price of the GG drops even more. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BlackZenith

Dec 23, 2011
Gear 2 will be pretty useless at the beginning, due to completly new OS and once again, lack of apps.

How can you even make this claim? It stands to reason that the lack of apps designed for the Gear is because of the planned switch to Tizen. Are you suggesting that the app selection for the Galaxy Gear is plentiful? I understand you can side-load phone apps, but that is an unacceptable solution for the lack of dedicated apps in the Samsung store.

Kawaiius

Mar 6, 2008
I think I'm just goona get it from att tomorrow for 199. If the new one is goona be 399 I can just get this one If it's goona be supported and get the updates. I don't see why I should buy the new gear 2 and have to wait when I can get this for 199 and it's still supported

animatechnica

Dec 12, 2010
Freakmont
I think I'm just goona get it from att tomorrow for 199. If the new one is goona be 399 I can just get this one If it's goona be supported and get the updates. I don't see why I should buy the new gear 2 and have to wait when I can get this for 199 and it's still supported

I think that's a reasonable decision. The next cool device is always coming but as long as you can get something out of what you have now it is all good.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Kawaiius

Mar 6, 2008
Went and got it from best buy for 199..211 or so after taxes...I like it but getting used to it..I'll be happy with it.

SmartWatchesNow

Mar 11, 2014
Shop Amazon / Purchase BBY

I've been monitoring Gear prices pretty closely for my hobby site.

Agree w/ H3Dude - the best strategy is to set up a price alert on Amazon, then buy at Best Buy.

The trick is timing: on Amazon, I've seen the 'New' price on the Gear swing from current "list" of $299, down to $186, and back up to list - in the same day.

Also, if you're willing to buy the Orange one, you'll get a much better deal.

Good luck!