Rooting and flashing ROMS with T-Mobile Note 3 with KitKat

Search This thread

FFTony

Feb 9, 2014
St Louis
Ok. I have seen several people asking about rooting their T-Mobile Note 3. I am sure there have been posts on how to accomplish this feat. I am going to put out the steps that I took and mention a few other options and my thoughts on those. I hope to make this an all inclusive post for newbies. This method works whether you are on 4.3 or 4.4 BUT you will need to make sure the recovery and ROM you download is for the correct version of android you are using. To make this easier I am going to assume you are already on 4.4 Not everything will be clear but should be able to be easily understood. If there is something you don't understand ask and I am sure people will try to help. That or you can do a google search and probably find the answer a whole lot faster. If you did have a problem and found the solution please post it so others can use your information. I don't have the time at the moment to provide all the links but I will try to update this thread as much as I can.

I am NOT responsible for bricked devices, voided warranties or downloaded virus to your computer.
That being said rooting should be a relatively simple and easy process.

1. Download Odin 3.07 or 3.09 .zip file and install on your computer. (I have found no real difference in between the two when attempting root.) (No link provided just google it.)
2. Download the custom recovery of you choice. (I use and prefer twrp, but some people have had problems flashing ROMs and have had better luck with philz recovery) Below is the link for TWRP. If using 4.4 make sure to download the img.tar file for 2.7. There are other files but you want the one ending in img.tar! http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
3. Open Odin and connect your phone. You need to put your phone into download mode before connecting. Shut your phone off and then turn back on while holding volume down, power and home key. You will see a special screen pop up and a warning. Acknowledge the warning and the connect to the computer. If you don't get a blue bar on the left side of Odin after connecting your phone then you need to update your driver's (google search).
4. Place the .tar file that you downloaded into the PDA(3.07) or AP(3.09) section. Make sure the ONLY boxes on the left are Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked (that should be the default settings)!!
5. Hit the start button. Be advised that Flashing a custom recovery WILL trip Knox.
6. You should the blue bar turn green and say "pass." You know have a custom recovery on your phone and you can disconnect your phone.

At this point you do not have root access, you just have a custom recovery. You now have a choice to make. Do you want your phone rooted or do you want to flash a custom ROM. If you want to flash a custom ROM jump to #8. If you just want root and plan on staying on stock go to #7.

7. Download the latest version of SuperSU file from http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip and flash from your custom recovery. when you restart your phone make sure you can open the SuperSU app. If you cannot go to the play store and reinstall it from there. Congrats!!

8. If you want a custom ROM you need to download the .zip file of that ROM. I would recommend placing it on your EXTERNAL sd card.
9. Go to your custom recovery. There are some things you are going to need to back up prior to Flashing the ROM.
a. Backup your stock ROM, This could save you from some major problems. Back up-system, data and boot-to your EXTERNAL sd card.
b. Backup you EFS files (this can be done via twrp, other wise you will need to do it another way-Google search)
10. Wipe the phone. You want to wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik
11. Flash you custom ROM. Almost every custom ROM comes rooted. You just need to read the info on that ROM
12. Your phone should reboot and you are done!!

Below is some Q&A and helpful tips.

If I upgrade to 4.4 from 4.3 to get a diffent ROM can I switch back? NO

What is "Bricked"? It is a phone that will not boot and only stays on a black screen. Soft Brick is where your phone constantly reboots without opening your ROM.

What is Knox? Google it

Will tripping Knox void my warranty? Probably

How do I get into the recovery? Shut your phone off and then restart while holding the volume up, power and home key. You have to let go as soon as you see the blue letters "Recovery Booting"

There are not that many ROMS for T-mobile can I use an international ROM? Yes! I currently run an international ROM but on most of them you do loose your wifi calling feature. You also need to download a custom T-Mobile Kernel and the Wifi/BT fix.

Should I use CF Auto root or Klingo? I personally don't like the idea of Klingo. Some of the things I have seen they appear to be a little fishy and with them rooting your phone they initially have access to EVERYTHING. CF auto root does not place a custom recovery. You CANNOT flash a custom ROM without a custom recovery. I did it my way because I wanted a custom ROM and just not root.

What about the De La Vega Method? I have no idea and it seemed more work that it was worth. I did not care about tripping Knox

Tips:

Some ROMS will delete your internal memory when flashing as will wiping your phone. That is why I strongly suggest placing the backups and ROMS on your external sd card.

Some ROMS come with an Auroma set up. You will automatically be directed into it when you flash from recovery.

If you are flashing an international ROM make sure that you flash the ROM, T-mobile Kernel and Wifi Fix before choosing the reboot option. If you don't have the t-mobile kernel prior to reboot you will go into a bootloop.

I hope this helps and I will add more and clarify this post in the next few days. I just hope this can help some of you new guys out a little bit and if you found it useful especially if you obtained root please hit the thanks meter.

Last edited:

Frank Westlake

Nov 13, 2013
OK, I deleted all the information here about all the errors I made so that this won't confuse anyone. To summarize my error, I thought I had purchased Android 4.4.2 and flashed the wrong versions. After flashing the correct version, 4.3, everything worked.

The SD-card is not visible in stock recovery and the ADB method won't work without first having root, so that leaves the Odin method.

The Odin method flashes TWRP recovery successfully and when I exited it asked me if I wanted to root the device. I chose 'yes' and it worked for a while then booted into the Android OS. In Android it booted normally, then after I did something which I did not think about and don't recall, a dialog advised me that the GUI portion of the root process still needed to be applied. I allowed it to proceed and now I am rooted with TWRP. I verified the root through ADB by creating a file in the root directory.

Frank

Last edited:

FFTony

Feb 9, 2014
St Louis
I will try to break this down for you.

1. You need to reflash twrp via Odin to make sure it works correctly since doing auto root.

2. That screen you saw is exactly what you wanted to see. As stated in the OP when you see that screen let go of the buttons and wait, twrp will open shortly. I get the same screen so don't worry. Once you get into twrp and if you need a tutorial on twrp I would suggest looking it up on YouTube.

3. If you reflash the stock ROM via Odin it should fix everything. I am not sure about the partition problem. I will get back if I get some more info.

I would not worry about trying to reflash stock. I would just reflash twrp, boot into recovery and then proceed as listed in the OP.

FFTony

Feb 9, 2014
St Louis
I found my problem. I think the box, or something, was mislabeled because "About" tells me I have Android 4.3, not 4.4.2. So I flashed the 4.3 version of TWRP and booted right into it. After another reboot to make sure it's stable I'll try rooting again.

Frank

Great. Yes, it did not work because 2.7 is written for the new bootloader in 4.4. Are you planning on staying stock jb or planning on flashing a ROM?

sm-n900t: Powered by X-Note V13

Frank Westlake

Nov 13, 2013
Are you planning on staying stock jb or planning on flashing a ROM?
Stock. With root I'm able to customize everything right on the device about as much as the ROM builders. But there are things I cannot do on the device so I'll be keeping an eye on the ROMs to see if anything is attractive.

After I finished this update I refreshed this page and saw that you had been commenting. The screen you saw should be there was also there when I flashed the correct TWRP, and it did move on to TWRP as you said. I'm adding the following paragraph separately so that it's easier for people to find if they need it:

After I had flashed the wrong version of TWRP (4.4 instead of 4.3) it boot-looped to the "SEANDROID NOT ENFORCING" display. To get out of that boot-loop I held the Download Mode keys (HOME-POWER-VOLDOWN) until it rebooted into the first download mode screen, the warning which says you can press VOL-DOWN to boot normally. At that point press VOL-DOWN and it will boot normally. If you press VOL-UP and continue into Download Mode then you will still be in the boot-loop when you reset the device and you will need to reboot again into the Download Mode warning screen and press VOL-DOWN to boot normally.

Thank you very much for your help with this.

Frank

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok. I have seen several people asking about rooting their T-Mobile Note 3. I am sure there have been posts on how to accomplish this feat. I am going to put out the steps that I took and mention a few other options and my thoughts on those. I hope to make this an all inclusive post for newbies. This method works whether you are on 4.3 or 4.4 BUT you will need to make sure the recovery and ROM you download is for the correct version of android you are using. To make this easier I am going to assume you are already on 4.4 Not everything will be clear but should be able to be easily understood. If there is something you don't understand ask and I am sure people will try to help. That or you can do a google search and probably find the answer a whole lot faster. If you did have a problem and found the solution please post it so others can use your information. I don't have the time at the moment to provide all the links but I will try to update this thread as much as I can.

I am NOT responsible for bricked devices, voided warranties or downloaded virus to your computer.
    That being said rooting should be a relatively simple and easy process.

1. Download Odin 3.07 or 3.09 .zip file and install on your computer. (I have found no real difference in between the two when attempting root.) (No link provided just google it.)
    2. Download the custom recovery of you choice. (I use and prefer twrp, but some people have had problems flashing ROMs and have had better luck with philz recovery) Below is the link for TWRP. If using 4.4 make sure to download the img.tar file for 2.7. There are other files but you want the one ending in img.tar! http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
    3. Open Odin and connect your phone. You need to put your phone into download mode before connecting. Shut your phone off and then turn back on while holding volume down, power and home key. You will see a special screen pop up and a warning. Acknowledge the warning and the connect to the computer. If you don't get a blue bar on the left side of Odin after connecting your phone then you need to update your driver's (google search).
    4. Place the .tar file that you downloaded into the PDA(3.07) or AP(3.09) section. Make sure the ONLY boxes on the left are Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked (that should be the default settings)!!
    5. Hit the start button. Be advised that Flashing a custom recovery WILL trip Knox.
    6. You should the blue bar turn green and say "pass." You know have a custom recovery on your phone and you can disconnect your phone.

At this point you do not have root access, you just have a custom recovery. You now have a choice to make. Do you want your phone rooted or do you want to flash a custom ROM. If you want to flash a custom ROM jump to #8. If you just want root and plan on staying on stock go to #7.

7. Download the latest version of SuperSU file from http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip and flash from your custom recovery. when you restart your phone make sure you can open the SuperSU app. If you cannot go to the play store and reinstall it from there. Congrats!!

8. If you want a custom ROM you need to download the .zip file of that ROM. I would recommend placing it on your EXTERNAL sd card.
    9. Go to your custom recovery. There are some things you are going to need to back up prior to Flashing the ROM.
    a. Backup your stock ROM, This could save you from some major problems. Back up-system, data and boot-to your EXTERNAL sd card.
    b. Backup you EFS files (this can be done via twrp, other wise you will need to do it another way-Google search)
    10. Wipe the phone. You want to wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik
    11. Flash you custom ROM. Almost every custom ROM comes rooted. You just need to read the info on that ROM
    12. Your phone should reboot and you are done!!

Below is some Q&A and helpful tips.

If I upgrade to 4.4 from 4.3 to get a diffent ROM can I switch back? NO

What is "Bricked"? It is a phone that will not boot and only stays on a black screen. Soft Brick is where your phone constantly reboots without opening your ROM.

What is Knox? Google it

Will tripping Knox void my warranty? Probably

How do I get into the recovery? Shut your phone off and then restart while holding the volume up, power and home key. You have to let go as soon as you see the blue letters "Recovery Booting"

There are not that many ROMS for T-mobile can I use an international ROM? Yes! I currently run an international ROM but on most of them you do loose your wifi calling feature. You also need to download a custom T-Mobile Kernel and the Wifi/BT fix.

Should I use CF Auto root or Klingo? I personally don't like the idea of Klingo. Some of the things I have seen they appear to be a little fishy and with them rooting your phone they initially have access to EVERYTHING. CF auto root does not place a custom recovery. You CANNOT flash a custom ROM without a custom recovery. I did it my way because I wanted a custom ROM and just not root.

What about the De La Vega Method? I have no idea and it seemed more work that it was worth. I did not care about tripping Knox

Tips:

Some ROMS will delete your internal memory when flashing as will wiping your phone. That is why I strongly suggest placing the backups and ROMS on your external sd card.

Some ROMS come with an Auroma set up. You will automatically be directed into it when you flash from recovery.

If you are flashing an international ROM make sure that you flash the ROM, T-mobile Kernel and Wifi Fix before choosing the reboot option. If you don't have the t-mobile kernel prior to reboot you will go into a bootloop.

I hope this helps and I will add more and clarify this post in the next few days. I just hope this can help some of you new guys out a little bit and if you found it useful especially if you obtained root please hit the thanks meter.
    What about the De La Vega Method? I have no idea and it seemed more work that it was worth.
    Samsung explains about Root De La Vega here: Samsungknox.com/en/blog/about-root-de-la-vega