[Kernel] VoronK (for Unlegacy-Android ROM) [4.4][5.x-7.x]

Search This thread

_yen_

Feb 20, 2010
Sorry but now I've no time and will to continue developing this feature. I hope I will in future but not now.
Hello @Voron.exe i'm really sad reading this.
Just for your info, unlegacy is planning to have a combined kernel for mm and n (actually the staging branch) which I'm running now "voronkized" (with touch-wake branch commits) on 7.1.2. Need to test further if stressing the touch still sometimes crash the immersive mode.
Well, I hope you can find soon will and time to continue developing VoronK as t2w feels me a nice improvement over stock.
bye
yen

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    11smla0.jpg
    Code:
    *** Typical Disclaimer

Not responsible... As is.. Bricked devices... You've read this thousand of times. 
    Hope everyone here is understanding what he does.

Introduction
    This is Unlegacy-Android kernel with some extra features that I added/enabled for personal use and decided to share in case someone else like them too.
    I've done all I wanted by this moment so probably I am not going to continuously develop and improve this kernel if there will not be such necessity.
    If somebody wishes to co-work or continue, I am all for it. Sources are open.

Features
    Any bugs/features are the same as on Unlegacy-Android stock kernel except those listed here.
    • Color control

1610s5j.jpg

• Allows to adjust display colors (really?).
      • You need to use third party app like "Trickster MOD" (Requires root) to edit it.
    • Touch wake and Proximity wake

Old cool feature reworked and improved by me.
      Allows to wake device by touching screen and/or proximity sensor.

• It's implemented with interrupts and no one wakelocks at all, that means:
        • No lags. It will always work and will be as responsive as if you pressed power button instead.
          (If it still got lag than you would got the same lag if pressed power button at that moment instead.)
        • Power consumption as minimal as possible. It doesn't keeps device awaken like apps from market, so it can go in deep sleep and not consume power.
          The only power is needed is to power the touch screen and/or proximity. It still consumes power but that is neligible.
          See proof screenshot below.
          f02ck8.jpg

You may say that 1.2% per hour is a lot but take in mind that I have 4 years old battery that doesn't work long any longer.

• It has no timeouts. Why need them if power consumption is so low?
        I've always hated apps from market that works while you play with them and don't in an hour.
        But they at least had reason of big power consumption due keeping device awaken.

How to enable and setup:

• Again you need to use third party app like "Trickster MOD" (Requires root) to activate and edit it settings.
      • The property "Delay" sets mode, not delay (I used settings from old version).

axdzwo.png

• Touch - wake device by touching screen
        • Proximity - wake device by proximity sensor
        • LongTouch - addition to Touch. If long press screen than device will sleep again after finger released.
          Example: Touch and hold, device will wake up you will see what you want (e.g. time), release, device fall asleep again.

• 1 = Touch
        • 2 = Proximity
        • 3 = Touch and Proximity
        • 5 = Touch and LongTouch
        • 7 = Touch and LongTouch and Proximity
      • Manually setting from terminal

• enabling
          Code:
          echo 1  > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/touchwake/enabled
        • setting mode. multiply desired mod on 1000. e.g. 7 = 7000
          Code:
          echo 7000 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/touchwake/delay

Installation instructions
    Code:
    *** Disclaimer

This kernel only for [URL="https://xdaforums.com/t/3334574/"]Unlegacy-Android[/URL]. 
    Sure you can try your luck in booting it on another ROM, but that is probably wasting of time.

1. Prepare your current zimage or boot.img backup for case this kernell will not boot
    2. Boot in bootloader manually or by adb command
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    3. Flash downloaded zimage with fastboot. Replace zimage-file with path to downloaded zimage.
      Code:
      fastboot flash zimage zimage-file
    4. Reboot
      Code:
      fastboot reboot
    Sorry for not providing flashable in recovery zip. I had some problems with it.

Download

Changelog
    Code:
    Current changelog: -- 23.01.2017
    [note] -- consider previous VoronK-zimage-5.x-7.x-220117-f6cad32 as not working on 7.x builds, uploaded separate version
    [new] -- added [URL='https://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=22814']VoronK-zimage-7.x-230117-83de8de[/URL]

Older changelogs:

Code:
    Changelog: -- 22.01.2017
    [note] -- First public build
    [new] -- added [URL='https://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=22791']VoronK-zimage-4.4-220117-107103e[/URL]
    [new] -- added [URL='https://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=22792']VoronK-zimage-5.x-7.x-220117-f6cad32[/URL]

XDA:DevDB Information
    VoronK, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
    Voron.exe
    Source Code: https://github.com/VoronFX/VoronK

Kernel Special Features: Color control, Touch wake, Proximity wake

Version Information

Created 2017-01-22
    Last Updated 2017-01-23
    Okay. I've done some work and have some success with modules.
    I am planing to make and app that will allow to add this features (touch wake and color control at least) to any tuna kernel and rom and possible in future to other devices too.
    The app will (obviously)require root and will be shared for free without ads/trial/limitations but with optional donate.
    Does anybody interested in such app? Is it worth to continue?
    Cause I've reached all features I wanted and there will be no sense to continue develop if no one interested in results.
    Please tell me what you think!
    I cannot comment on technical issues, but I do think color control is mandatory in a ROM. And in any computer system, in fact.

I fill like there about 100 in the world and I am one of them!
    Hope that isn't true =D

One big release of CM13 has 9000 downloads, and a big release of UA 7.1 has 10,000 downloads. Maybe half or less of all current users would ever download these. Personally I have not downloaded either. So I think your feeling is not true. There are more than 100 Galaxy Nexus users. :)
    It's working flawlessly in ua_tuna-ota-20170116 (aosp-6.0) build, but I haven't tried phone calls. Could you consider to implement, if it's not to difficult, double tap to wake instead of only one tap?

I've already done workaround for phone calls and some more fixes but not yet published.
    As for double tab I will see what can I do. Wait a bit for new versions soon, current is a bit buggy.

UPDATE THOUGHTS:
    I am currently thinking on implementing all this in kernel module instead of rebuilding kernel.
    The PGM/TouchControl guy did the same, sadly he didn't open sources and abandoned development for few income.
    If I'll succeed than probably I'll turn this project into an app.
    I've try ua_tuna-ota-20170122 (aosp-7.1) build and it doesn't boot even with stock kernel.
    What build is the last working?
    None of them, you need to rebuild a permissive kernel to be able to boot 7.1.1. ATM all nougat builds for tuna from unlegacy site bootloops due to some selinux denials.
    Plus, to successfully build a tuna kernel from 7.1 ua branch you need to revert these two commits, which borked kernel build:
    http://gerrit.unlegacy-android.org/1151
    http://gerrit.unlegacy-android.org/1153
    Hope it helps.
    bye
    yen