Unlocking the GSM Variant?

Search This thread

checkmateyou

Dec 22, 2011
Hey there, fellow comrades!

I am planning to buy the Moto G from Cricket to use it on T-Mobile. I googled for hours, but could only find information to unlock the slick phone by buying unlock codes. I was wondering if there was any way to do this for... free? There are solutions around for most flagship phones, but are there any tools of similar nature for the Moto G?

Any tips would be helpful! Thanks!

checkmateyou

Dec 22, 2011
Because the answer is you really can't and its Illegal, stupid law yes but still no legal in the in the united states where he wants to do this

Have you ever wondered why all unlocking sites on eBay are outside the us?

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Many things you see one XDA is technically and strictly "illegal," that doesn't make it illegal to spread the knowledge. As I said before, there are plethora of threads on XDA that show how to unlock other phones, so XDA is not strictly enforcing it.

If there is anyone more helpful, please help a fellow out. Thank you.

Durteedee

Nov 6, 2013
detroit
plus.google.com
Many things you see one XDA is technically and strictly "illegal," that doesn't make it illegal to spread the knowledge. As I said before, there are plethora of threads on XDA that show how to unlock other phones, so XDA is not strictly enforcing it.

If there is anyone more helpful, please help a fellow out. Thank you.

Maybe you are not seeing that outside the us its legal but still costs a deal...I am being helpful I told you there is no way currently either by paying the fee or the requirements of the Carrier itself for unlocking.... What illegal things are you referring to anyway

checkmateyou

Dec 22, 2011
Maybe you are not seeing that outside the us its legal but still costs a deal...I am being helpful I told you there is no way currently either by paying the fee or the requirements of the Carrier itself for unlocking.... What illegal things are you referring to anyway

Thank you for explaining this to me, and I did not mean to offend you. Do you happen to know if Cricket personally unlock their devices, like AT&T?

rebretz000

Jul 11, 2012
Magrathea
Hey there, fellow comrades!

I am planning to buy the Moto G from Cricket to use it on T-Mobile. I googled for hours, but could only find information to unlock the slick phone by buying unlock codes. I was wondering if there was any way to do this for... free? There are solutions around for most flagship phones, but are there any tools of similar nature for the Moto G?

Any tips would be helpful! Thanks!

Why not just buy the US GSM Moto G from Motorola? Motorola allows you to unlock it. Just go to here

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...sion/L3RpbWUvMTQwMTY1OTE4Ni9zaWQvODVDZHdMVmw=

it has a list of all Motorola phones that can be unlocked. You can also buy the Google Edition Moto G for the same price and that one is easy as pie to unlock.

You mean bootloader unlock correct? To flash ROMs

If you mean carrier unlock then there is only one US Variant of the GSM Moto G and it works on all US GSM carriers no problem.

Last edited:

rebretz000

Jul 11, 2012
Magrathea
He said he wants to use it on T-Mobile. All he has to do is buy the GSM Variant from Motorola. It works on all GSM carriers. Check the GSM Bands. There is only one GSM Moto G. T-Mobile's SIM will work fine no issues. No need to carrier unlock and Motorola allows bootloader unlocking (voiding the warrenty though). I'd go Google Play Edition though. Same price.
Or buy the new LTE version. $20 more but allows has a Micro SD Card slot.

Only the CDMA versions are carrier branded. That's why you can't buy the CDMA Moto G from Motorola's website.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Checkmate, here are the frequencies/bands to look at

AT&T
850 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE

1900 MHz PCS GSM/GPRS/EDGE

850 MHz CLR 5 UMTS/HSPA+ 21Mbit/s 3G

1900 MHz PCS 2 UMTS/HSPA+ 21Mbit/s 3G

And

T-Mobile
850 MHz 5 GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G Roaming
850 MHz CLR 5 UMTS/HSPA+ 3G Roaming
1900 MHz 2 GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G In Service
1700/2100 MHz AWS 4 UMTS/DC-HSPA+ 42Mbit/s 4G In Service

The Google Play Edition
Network
Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+
GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

US GSM Model:
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps (850, 1700 (AWS), 1900 MHz)

Global GSM Model:
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
@rebretz000: there are three GSM Moto G variants: XT1032 (Global with HSPA 850/900/1900/2100 MHz bands), XT1034 ("US" with HSPA 850/AWS/1900 MHz bands) and the upcoming LTE variant (possibly more variants TBA, since the one on the US Motorola website listing lacks LTE bands for Europe or Asia)

checkmateyou

Dec 22, 2011
The Cricket variant is cheaper by $30 and that is why I am buying it over the T-Mobile variant. I know, I know. $30 is not much, but I am buying this is a gift for someone. And that someone always break phones every 6 months. I have gave him Nexus phones, Galaxy phones, etc. He need a smartphone for his job, but nothing fancy is needed, and that is why I plan to buy him budget phones from now on.

So all in all, it is absolutely not possible to carrier unlock the Moto G yet?

rebretz000

Jul 11, 2012
Magrathea
You're going to have to ask the Cricket representative if the phone you are buying is a GSM or CDMA? The new Cricket is GSM but they still have their CDMA network running for the next year for their old subscribers. If it's CDMA then it will not work on T-Mobile and there is no way to carrier unlock it since the CDMA version doesn't have any GSM antennas inside.

Actually you can carrier unlock CDMA versions. Take Boost Mobile's to Verizon since Verizon's can't be bootloader unlocked but Boost's can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

checkmateyou

Dec 22, 2011
You're going to have to ask the Cricket representative if the phone you are buying is a GSM or CDMA? The new Cricket is GSM but they still have their CDMA network running for the next year for their old subscribers. If it's CDMA then it will not work on T-Mobile and there is no way to carrier unlock it since the CDMA version doesn't have any GSM antennas inside.

Actually you can carrier unlock CDMA versions. Take Boost Mobile's to Verizon since Verizon's can't be bootloader unlocked but Boost's can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm talking about carrier unlocking the Cricket's GSM variant to work on other GSM carriers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why not just buy an unlocked one can't cost that much more and its illegal to unlock a phone without carriers consent