[REF] [NS4G] Stock ROMs | How To Root/Unroot | OTA Files & Images

Search This thread

BuglessPete

Feb 1, 2010
Why another post for stock files? Well for a few reasons, mainly the lack of quality found amongst the files in similar threads on the web. When I got my Nexus S 4G I took a look around the web, downloaded the stock roms that were floating around and noticed they were very flawed. The update scripts used in them were poorly done, seem to be the result of copy and pasting many update scripts together. The boot.imgs were also flawed, some of them even 8mbs in size, the stock boot.img is 2.8mb. After running them through one of my scripts, I also noticed many apps were not even zipaligned. Needless to say I did not flash these files. I took it upon myself to remake all these files. Stock files are essential to a development phone and can save many people in a sticky situation. Also, I have noticed that the official stock software images have not been released yet, so I went ahead and uploaded those for you all as well. These images include radio, boot, recovery, system, userdata, and bootloader. Please note, this post is not intended to bash anyone's work. I am simply trying to provide much needed files to the community. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, I may forget to keep this post updated so please check the downloads page on my website as it will always be maintained.

http://www.peteralfonso.com/p/downloads.html

Downloads: (Most can also be found in ROM Manager)
GRJ06D Stock Rooted ROM (Odexed)
GRJ22 Stock Rooted ROM (Odexed) (DeOdexed)
GRJ90 Stock Rooted ROM (Odexed) (DeOdexed)
GWK74 Stock Rooted ROM (Odexed) (DeOdexed)
GRJ22 Software Images
GRJ22 from GRJ06D OTA
GRJ90 from GRJ22 OTA
GWK74 from GRJ90 OTA
D720SPRKD8 Radio
D720SPRKE5 Radio
D720SPRKE1 Radio
Tethering Fix For Android 2.3.5 ROMs

How To: Root Nexus S 4G
1. Download GWK74 Stock Rooted ROM from above
2. Download CWM Recovery
3. Open a terminal and use the following commands:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img
4. Navigate to "recovery" in the bootloader and select it
5. Navigate to "mounts and storage" > "mount USB storage"
6. Place the GWK74 Stock Rooted ROM on your sdcard
7. Navigate to "Unmount" > "+++++Go Back+++++"
8. Navigate to "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" > choose "GWK74ODEXED.zip" > choose "Yes – Install GWK74ODEXED.zip"
9. Navigate to "reboot system now" and enjoy.

How To: Return Nexus S 4G To Stock
1. Download the GRJ22 Images from above
2. Open a terminal and use the following commands:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem lock

Last edited:

BuglessPete

Feb 1, 2010
Pete did you get a Nexus S 4G? Thought you were on Verizon?

Any ROM development plans?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

My work provided me with the Nexus S 4G. I still use my OG Droid and will continue to develop for it. I have successfully built an entire AOSP ROM for the Nexus S 4G and am running it now, not sure what I will release for this device though seeing as how it is for work. Time will tell...right now I am really busy though.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Yea, I know the stuff I posted is crap :) I am not a dev and say that in the threads on several occasions. I am very, very glad you posted this, I will post a HUGE link in my thread to this also. Look forward to the awesomeness you will bring to this phone :D

BuglessPete

Feb 1, 2010
Yea, I know the stuff I posted is crap :) I am not a dev and say that in the threads on several occasions. I am very, very glad you posted this, I will post a HUGE link in my thread to this also. Look forward to the awesomeness you will bring to this phone :D

Really hope I didn't offend anyone, that was not my intentions. Having said that the only way to learn is to try to put things together yourself, compare them to others, etc. I was there not long ago. Keep it up and soon you will know more than you imagined.

dalvarez7

Nov 13, 2007
Overland Park
You plan on making a ROM for the NS4G? You also mentioned that the ROM's that were out there were not zipaligned. Is the stock version posted above zipaligned?

Last edited:

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
well thanks for this, you are correct on many points except one.. the stock images were released :D but most people had to work to get them :p

BuglessPete

Feb 1, 2010
Looks like the GRJ06D file did not upload right, I will drive to the library tomorrow and reupload. I live in the country where there is no internet lol.

obsanity

Jun 4, 2010
Sweet! Can you post a deodexed rom for the GRJ22? I would love to start changing some of the stock apks for the ones in CM7

tandxcstar1

Sep 6, 2009
Houston
Im having issues flashing the recovery... Im somewhat new to flashing via adb got it all except recovery. Bootloader is unlocked but when tring via adb I just get error cannot load.. Any suggestions? Thx kindly

tandxcstar1

Sep 6, 2009
Houston
Im having issues flashing the recovery... Im somewhat new to flashing via adb got it all except recovery. Bootloader is unlocked but when tring via adb I just get error cannot load.. Any suggestions? Thx kindly

Please disregard this... I figured it out after some trial and error. Was able to flash recovery. One more question... Does this receovery stick or no? I know when I had my epic and had quickboot it would not allow to boot into recovery. thx again for your hard work on this. After reading the 100+ methods of rooting I was pleased to see this. Thx again

a2k

Jun 30, 2006
Why another post for stock files? Well for a few reasons, mainly the lack of quality found amongst the files in similar threads on the web. When I got my Nexus S 4G I took a look around the web, downloaded the stock roms that were floating around and noticed they were very flawed. The update scripts used in them were poorly done, seem to be the result of copy and pasting many update scripts together. The boot.imgs were also flawed, some of them even 8mbs in size, the stock boot.img is 2.8mb. After running them through one of my scripts, I also noticed many apps were not even zipaligned. Needless to say I did not flash these files. I took it upon myself to remake all these files. Stock files are essential to a development phone and can save many people in a sticky situation. Also, I have noticed that the official stock software images have not been released yet, so I went ahead and uploaded those for you all as well. These images include radio, boot, recovery, system, userdata, and bootloader.

Downloads:
GRJ06D Stock Rooted ROM
GRJ22 Stock Rooted ROM
GRJ22 Software Images
GRJ22 from GRJ06D OTA

Please note, this post is not intended to bash anyone's work. I am simply trying to provide much needed files to the community. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, I may forget to keep this post updated so please check the downloads page on my website as it will always be maintained.

Please follow me on Twitter for updates.

To return your device to stock, download the GRJ22 Images and use the following commands:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem lock

One more thing, I also noticed that these rooting guides can be made alot simpler. Simply do the following:

1. Download GRJ22 Stock Rooted ROM from above
2. Download CWM Recovery
3. Use the following commands

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img

5. In recovery select "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" > choose "GRJ22ODEXED.zip" > choose "Yes – Install GRJ22ODEXED.zip"
6. Reboot and thats it.

Thank you very much for this.

a2k

Jun 30, 2006

Hey Mike, you did mention that, but my friend, a pioneer you were! I too appreciate all your time and effort and look forward to many wonderful ROMs from you in the future. Thank you for getting us started with our NS4G's!!!!!

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Thanks, and your welcome. Guess everyone starts somewhere. Glad I could help in some way...
Hey Mike, you did mention that, but my friend, a pioneer you were! I too appreciate all your time and effort and look forward to many wonderful ROMs from you in the future. Thank you for getting us started with our NS4G's!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why another post for stock files? Well for a few reasons, mainly the lack of quality found amongst the files in similar threads on the web. When I got my Nexus S 4G I took a look around the web, downloaded the stock roms that were floating around and noticed they were very flawed. The update scripts used in them were poorly done, seem to be the result of copy and pasting many update scripts together. The boot.imgs were also flawed, some of them even 8mbs in size, the stock boot.img is 2.8mb. After running them through one of my scripts, I also noticed many apps were not even zipaligned. Needless to say I did not flash these files. I took it upon myself to remake all these files. Stock files are essential to a development phone and can save many people in a sticky situation. Also, I have noticed that the official stock software images have not been released yet, so I went ahead and uploaded those for you all as well. These images include radio, boot, recovery, system, userdata, and bootloader. Please note, this post is not intended to bash anyone's work. I am simply trying to provide much needed files to the community. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, I may forget to keep this post updated so please check the downloads page on my website as it will always be maintained.

Downloads: (Most can also be found in ROM Manager)
    GRJ06D Stock Rooted ROM (Odexed)
    GRJ22 Stock Rooted ROM (Odexed) (DeOdexed)
    GRJ90 Stock Rooted ROM (Odexed) (DeOdexed)
    GWK74 Stock Rooted ROM (Odexed) (DeOdexed)
    GRJ22 Software Images
    GRJ22 from GRJ06D OTA
    GRJ90 from GRJ22 OTA
    GWK74 from GRJ90 OTA
    D720SPRKD8 Radio
    D720SPRKE5 Radio
    D720SPRKE1 Radio
    Tethering Fix For Android 2.3.5 ROMs

How To: Root Nexus S 4G
    1. Download GWK74 Stock Rooted ROM from above
    2. Download CWM Recovery
    3. Open a terminal and use the following commands:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img
    5. Navigate to "mounts and storage" > "mount USB storage"
    6. Place the GWK74 Stock Rooted ROM on your sdcard
    7. Navigate to "Unmount" > "+++++Go Back+++++"
    8. Navigate to "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" > choose "GWK74ODEXED.zip" > choose "Yes – Install GWK74ODEXED.zip"
    9. Navigate to "reboot system now" and enjoy.

How To: Return Nexus S 4G To Stock
    1. Download the GRJ22 Images from above
    2. Open a terminal and use the following commands:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem lock
    DeOdexed stock rooted ROM, new radio, and OTA file added to OP. Now I can get some sleep.
    I flashed through recovery CWM 3.1.0.1

First I cleared cache
    Then I cleared the Davik Cache

Then I flashed GWK74
    Next I flashed D720SPRE1
    Next I flashed the tethering fix.

Everything worked perfectly. Google wallet works perfectly. Google is even giving a way a free $10 for those that activate a pre-paid card.

Another note is my signal strength for 3G and WiFi is better with the new radio.

Thanks BuglessPete!!!

Really hope I didn't offend anyone, that was not my intentions. Having said that the only way to learn is to try to put things together yourself, compare them to others, etc. I was there not long ago. Keep it up and soon you will know more than you imagined.
    Just a heads up about ROM Manager, Koush has accepted my changes to the manifest but ROM Manager is still not working properly for the Nexus S 4G. Currently it is displaying ROMs and files for the Nexus S, he is working on fixing that. When he does my section will appear.