Wind Mobile Galaxy S3 (T999) users UNITE

Search This thread

Idyar

Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Even though tmoble baseband is different than ours?

Sent from my SGH-T999V using xda app-developers app

Baseband is not included in roms.

We can use any 747 (At&t/Bell/Telus/Rogers) or 999 (Wind/Videotron/Tmobile) on our phones (they have identical hardware)

Do not flash basebands from other carriers.

1range

Sep 24, 2011
Any known method of rooting using mac mountain lion 10.8.2...lost root with last t-mobile update baseband version T999UVDLJC (4.1.1)....plus pc died

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Idyar

Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Any known method of rooting using mac mountain lion 10.8.2...lost root with last t-mobile update baseband version T999UVDLJC (4.1.1)....plus pc died

Not sure what you mean by lost root with baseband. Flashing a baseband cannot by definition lose you root. Also if you are using t999 baseband on a t999v (assuming you own the handset from WIND) you are going to have major problems.

Personally I use odin + cf auto root. Or use my nexus 7 to root peoples devices. So to the specific Mac question I am afraid I cannot help.

1range

Sep 24, 2011
Not sure what you mean by lost root with baseband. Flashing a baseband cannot by definition lose you root. Also if you are using t999 baseband on a t999v (assuming you own the handset from WIND) you are going to have major problems.

Personally I use odin + cf auto root. Or use my nexus 7 to root peoples devices. So to the specific Mac question I am afraid I cannot help.

Thanks, actually on t mobile, updated push by t mobile which upgraded bsseband version, lost root, so I not sure how to re root (Odin) sense all I have is a mac 10.8.2...thanks again pardon the lack of clarity.....

winmx1

Dec 28, 2012
New York

You can, idk if you know how to download torrents and stuff, "illegal" yes.. but, you you know how to.. you can install VMWare and install Windows XP or any windows onto your Mac, and it'll you can root from there, that's exactly what I did.. I'm just starting out with Mac and learning everything myself.. so maybe that would help?

tdotdot

Dec 18, 2012
So hopefully Samsung releases 4.1.2 soon to fix the battery drain that was brought on by 4.1.1

Sent from my SGH-T999V

what battery drain?

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Baseband is not included in roms.

We can use any 747 (At&t/Bell/Telus/Rogers) or 999 (Wind/Videotron/Tmobile) on our phones (they have identical hardware)

Do not flash basebands from other carriers.

we can use ROM's from that section too?

Idyar

Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
what battery drain?

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

we can use ROM's from that section too?

I am using a 747 ROM right now so short answer is yes, the hardware is identical (except for the radios). You might have to do some APN config on some ROMs but not on mine.

DO NOT FLASH INTERNATIONAL ROMS
DO NOT FLASH BASEBANDS FROM OTHER PHONES EVEN 747 or 999

Last edited:

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
Finally bought ghost armor for my phone which I'm loving so far had them put the red back on my blue s3

Sent from my SGH-T999V

D

Deleted member 5239567

Hello, I'm fairly new to all this. Just rooted my phone for the first time. I have TWRP on it right now. I tried cwm before this.

Having trouble flashing a custom rom onto my phone.. seems to complain about the model number.. anyone know what I can do to avoid this? or maybe a better resource for getting custom roms?

I'm sort of in that "I've rooted my phone.. now what.." time..

edit: should add that I'm on Wind with T999v.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idyar

Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Hello, I'm fairly new to all this. Just rooted my phone for the first time. I have TWRP on it right now. I tried cwm before this.

Having trouble flashing a custom rom onto my phone.. seems to complain about the model number.. anyone know what I can do to avoid this? or maybe a better resource for getting custom roms?

I'm sort of in that "I've rooted my phone.. now what.." time..

edit: should add that I'm on Wind with T999v.

A common problem. Because some ROMS check to ensure that people are not flashing them to the wrong device

There is a couple of solutions but here is the one I would suggest trying this:

Manually open up the rom you are installing in 7zip and goto the installer script which is in
META-INF\com\google\android\update-script
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "d2tmo" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "d2tmo");

See how this rom is searching for d2tmo. But we are not d2tmo ! So it fails if you remove this line you should be able to install.

Sorry for formatting / spelling posted quickly from phone.

D

Deleted member 5239567

A common problem. Because some ROMS check to ensure that people are not flashing them to the wrong device

There is a couple of solutions but here is the one I would suggest trying this:

Manually open up the rom you are installing in 7zip and goto the installer script which is in
META-INF\com\google\android\update-script
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "d2tmo" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "d2tmo");

See how this rom is searching for d2tmo. But we are not d2tmo ! So it fails if you remove this line you should be able to install.

Sorry for formatting / spelling posted quickly from phone.

Awesome. That's good to know it's a common problem. I had this moment of dread thinking that I voided my warranty for nothing :)

Is that generally safe? ie if i install a rom like that would I be able to restore to backup if it breaks? Also I'm hoping to put cyanogen 10.1 on my phone, do you know if either sprint or tmobile will work with wind?

Edit: when I try to boot with cyanogenmod it just spins.. luckily I was able to restore my backup.. with a bit of difficulty

Edit2: For anyone else that might be on a similar path as me, factory reset from cwm prior to installing the rom fixed this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idyar

Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Awesome. That's good to know it's a common problem. I had this moment of dread thinking that I voided my warranty for nothing :)

Is that generally safe? ie if i install a rom like that would I be able to restore to backup if it breaks? Also I'm hoping to put cyanogen 10.1 on my phone, do you know if either sprint or tmobile will work with wind?

Edit: when I try to boot with cyanogenmod it just spins.. luckily I was able to restore my backup.. with a bit of difficulty

Edit2: For anyone else that might be on a similar path as me, factory reset from cwm prior to installing the rom fixed this issue.

Hey Gwai,

Going between AOSP -> Touchwiz and reverse requires a factory reset. You seem to have figured this out.

Safe is a relative term. Technically the "Safe" ROMS to use would be any At&t SGH-I747 (Telus/Rogers/Bell/Others) or Tmobile T999 but other ROMs can be made to work with out phone safely. There are many ports from Sprint or Verizion which would be incompatible natively but some clever people have got to work with our phone.

The long and the short is that our phone is hardware identical to 747 except with one big exception the LTE radio. If you are starting out I would recommend sticking with t999 ROM's as many 747 roms won't have APN setup properly for us, and most t999 ROMs do.

Welcome to this amazing community, CM 10.1 is a great place to start out with. Make sure you do lots of backups and read everything you can!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A while ago I was a part of the wind mobile optimus 2x (P999) users UNITE threads so to live on with the legacy I figured I would make a thread for the Wind Mobile Galaxy S3 users:

have fun ask questions, shoot the breeze, and just chill with your windy friends
    Appreciate the help :). So now that radios are out of the question, what about the ROM?

Just fyi, I'm trying to help someone do I think the same thing but for Mobilicity here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2027661

Hasn't been solved yet but thought it may help you as well.
    I'm going to go ahead and try to put out recovery flashable Roms based from the T999V stock firmware. So if nothing else there will be that fairly soon. They'll be deodexed to in case anyone wants to theme or mod or do whstever you want to them.
    Hope some of you find them useful once done!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
    ok cool thanks for the help here...

so as far as calender stuff.... can i back it up and restore it, or am i hooped and just stuck losing it? since i have my google stuff, shouldn't it back it up for me? i know when i went from my optimus 2x (un modded) to my sgs3 i just signed into google and everything showed up... won't happen here though or what?

also.....i've been reading about people having to install gapps (google apps i'm guessing?) separately? what's the deal there... do i have to do that? thanks

one other thing i forgot to ask... i've had a few people tell me that, being on wind, i cannot use tmo roms etc like i used to be able to on other phones (apparently) but now it looks like those links above are all tmo roms... i'm confused... am i boing to bork up my phone if i put tmo stuff on it, or no? thanks

well they said that it could cause issues but my old optimus 2x aka g2x worked fine with tmobile roms and btw GS3 is T999 where as the Canadian version is T999V and should have no issues from what i can see if im not mistaken the optimus 2x up here was P990DW where as the tmo version was T990 but the roms and everything were the same for both.

where as for the calendar its prob a loss and yes you install gapps separately but just follow the instruction and it will lead you through everything safely but here is another link just in case :D

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775616
    I have put together a ROM based on the new Canadian JB release. I am not a real developer just sharing what I have put together for those that are interested. Tried to get most of the features from Frosty that I miss when we updated.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2060613
    Official T999V JB update

OFFICIAL Samsung rollout begins Fri, Dec 14, 2012 !!

twitter notifications:
    Samsung Mobile CA
    GALAXY S III owners! @Mobilicity, @Videotron & @WINDMobile will start receiving Jelly Bean on Fri. with a staggered rollout into next week!

Vidéotron
    La mise à jour Android 4.1.1 "Jelly Bean" du Samsung Galaxy S III sera disponible à partir de demain et sera déployée de façon progressive!