[Q] Any Z2 owners with overheating issue just taking pictures?

Search This thread

Waitzar

Feb 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
I just picked up Sony Xperia Z2 (D6503) a week ago and I love everything about this phone. However, I am getting overheating issue with my phone. Just today, I was at my niece's birthday party and I took 12 pictures in may be 5 minutes and I get a message about Camera app needing to shutdown to cool down.The area above Sony logo and around NFC logo got really warm. I am aware that shooting 4k video can cause overheating but just shooting regular pictures causing overheat is concerning to me. I have owned Z1 before and it didn't have this problem. I was wondering if anyone else is having this overheat issue with just taking pictures? I shot pictures in Default setting iA mode and pictures saved to Internal Storage. I didn't change any settings.

Last edited:

KrisPerry

Oct 23, 2010
Yes I also have this issue and three store have refused to replace it, claiming it is a feature

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Reactions: moose2484

KrisPerry

Oct 23, 2010
I have done more investigation into this. The closing of the camera app doesn’t seem related to CPU temp, it appears to be dependant on Battery temp. I have been able to record 4k video with the CPU at 70, but as soon as the battery temperature gets to 42, the camera force closes.

This is also why the camera will overheat and close for other use. If the battery is already hot, eg after charging or gaming, the camera is more likely to push the battery temp to 42, triggering the force close.

Waitzar

Feb 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hmmm...I wasn't playing any games before I took the pictures. Phone was in my pants pocket before I took it out to take pictures. I do notice taking pictures will cause my phone to get warm. I wonder if this "problem" can be fixed with firmware update.

nrgon

Nov 29, 2008
Satu Mare
Well, i also got this problem but with SocialLife app video streaming on Facebook. After 8 minutes of video the phone crashed. Strangely, if you play games that make the phone as hot as an oven nothing happens, turn on the camera and boom, force close / sometimes reboot.

Reactions: KrisPerry

KrisPerry

Oct 23, 2010
Well, i also got this problem but with SocialLife app video streaming on Facebook. After 8 minutes of video the phone crashed. Strangely, if you play games that make the phone as hot as an oven nothing happens, turn on the camera and boom, force close / sometimes reboot.

Yes Ive noticed this too

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have done more investigation into this. The closing of the camera app doesn’t seem related to CPU temp, it appears to be dependant on Battery temp. I have been able to record 4k video with the CPU at 70, but as soon as the battery temperature gets to 42, the camera force closes.

This is also why the camera will overheat and close for other use. If the battery is already hot, eg after charging or gaming, the camera is more likely to push the battery temp to 42, triggering the force close.
    Yes I also have this issue and three store have refused to replace it, claiming it is a feature

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk