[A510][ROM][2012-12-17] NoThrills A510 WorldWide optimized Stock ROM

Search This thread

NoThrills

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 14, 2008
NoThrills A510 WorldWide optimized Stock ROM
version 2012-12-17, built on Acer_AV051_A510_1.034.00 (JellyBean)

After several years of XDA absense, I'm back in the game! I've provided you guys with a working CWM-Based Recovery for the A510, but my main area of interest is ROM cooking. For those of you who are unfamiliar with a NoThrills ROM: It's a stock ROM, the way it should have been. Manufacturers often intend to build the best devices ever, but due to budget cuts or rushed schedules the most important part of development (finetuning) is skipped. That's where I step in! I create stock ROMs that look and feel the same as the original manufacturer ROM, but are vastly different on the inside.

Here's what's visually changed from the original Stock ROM:
  • NOTHING.

Here's what's changed on the inside:
  • Added additional languages: This ROM contains: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish and Ukrainian.
  • ThrillsKernel (experimental): Click here for full details on the kernel.
  • Rooted: SU (3.1.1), BusyBox (1.20.2) and SuperUser (3.1.3) installed by default.
  • Fully Deodexed: Both system apps and system framework.
  • Zipaligned: For better RAM usage.
  • /etc/init.d support: Allows you to run your own scripts or mods on boot.
  • System apps updated: See the second post for the full list.
  • FlexROM apps updated: See the second post for the full list.
  • AGPS Patch applied and LTO downloadservice installed: This should get you a faster satellite lock.
  • Ad-blocking HOSTS file: Makes your browsing experience faster and less annoying.
  • Added English TextToSpeech files: Why were they missing in the first place, Acer? German, Spanish, French and Italian were included by default...
  • Various performance tweaks: Faster file access, less logging, better response overall.

Installation:
  • Step 0:
    Check this thread to see if you can help the community before you let us help you!
  • Step 1:
    If you don't have it already, install my CWM-Based Recovery.
  • Step 2:
    Download the ROM from this post, extract the .RAR files and put the .ZIP file on your internal or external SD Card.
  • Step 3:
    Start Recovery by powering down your device, holding the Volume down (**) button and turning it on again.
  • Step 4:
    Make a Nandroid Backup. I can't stress this enough. Select backup and restore and choose one of the backup options.
  • Step 5:
    This step is optional, but recommended when you first install this ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset. Note that this will wipe everything from your data partition, including downloaded apps and settings. Files on your internal or external SD Card are safe.
  • Step 6:
    Install this ROM by choosing install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard or choose zip from external sdcard.
  • Step 7:
    Wait for the installation to finish (this takes a few minutes). Spend your time reading the text below these installation instructions!
  • Step 8:
    Select reboot system now, and enjoy!

Please read the following carefully before installing this ROM:
  • I am not responsible for anything you do to your tablet. Whatever you do, you do it at your own risk!
  • This ROM is pre-rooted. Do NOT attempt to install BusyBox or SU manually or you might break root. You can safely upgrade BusyBox and SU!
  • When installed, this ROM will reboot the tablet on its own once, before Android fully boots. This is normal, it's not a boot loop but it's ensuring your tablet becomes rooted.
  • First boot (after the automatic reboot) will take a while (5 minutes is no exception). Just be patient, it will boot faster next time.
  • When the tablet has completed booting for the first time, give it another few minutes to get 'up to speed'. It should be much faster after about 5 minutes.

FAQ:
  • Want themes? Get them somewhere else! I probably don't like your taste, you probably don't like mine. So why pretend? Use this ROM as your base and start theming yourself!
  • Want mods? Your ideas might be good in your situation, they probably aren't in mine. Again, use this ROM as your base and start modding yourself!
  • Found bugs? Let me know! Although I can't promise I'll be able to fix them all, at least I will try.
  • Want to use this ROM as base for your own? Go ahead, make my day. But do credit me with a link to this thread, so people can also taste my flavorless contraptions.
  • Want to give me your first born baby? I'd rather not have that, but if you really want to give me something: Either click the 'Donate to me' button on the left, or simply hit the 'Thanks' button on this post.

Changelog:
See second post.

Screenshots:
See second post.

Downloads:
  • Full download
    (MD5 for the .ZIP file: 97319b1ab22acbfec6ab45a0774ae99a)

Last edited:

NoThrills

Feb 14, 2008
Changelog:

2012-12-17
  • Completely rebased on the official JellyBean build from Acer (AV051.RV11RC01_WW_GEN1)
  • Replaced ThrillsKernel2 with ThrillsKernel3 version 20121217
  • Applications updated: Acer Print (2.0.0.76), ASTRO File Manager (4.2.455), AUPEO! (2.89.25), Chrome (18.0.1025469), Currents (2.0.0), EquiView (1.0.6.3), Evernote (4.4.1), Gmail (4.2.1), Google Calendar (201212060), Google Maps (6.14.1), Google Play Books (2.6.41), Google Play Magazines (1.2.0), Google Play Movies (2.3.7), Google Play Music (4.4.81H.526848), Google Play Store (3.10.10), Google Play-services (2.0.12), Google+ (3.3.0.40049528), TalkBack (3.2.1), TegraZone (2.6), YouTube (4.2.16), Zinio (2.1.6195)
  • Updated ad-blocking host file

2012-09-17
  • Modified root, no need for reboot on first boot
  • ThrillsKernel 20120917 added as default kernel
  • Applications updated: ASTRO File Manager (4.0.414), Evernote (4.2.1)
  • Small optimizations

2012-09-05
  • AcerNidus (logging app) would force close because I disabled logging features. Removed AcerNidus.
  • Modified flexrom files to prepare base ROM for add-ons (see below).
  • Added experimental CIFS and NTFS support back to kernel
  • Other small fixes

2012-09-04
  • Initial release, thanks to Randomwalker for providing the German image file.

Last edited:

salisbury_steak

Oct 21, 2010
Manila
www.fb.com
ERMEHGERD! Finally, a ROM for A510 users.

Thank you thank you thank you. I'll need my tablet as is for the rest of the week, but will probably flash CWM and your ROM on the weekend.

Small feedback about your instructions by the way, I think you should have said this first:
I am not responsible for anything you do to your tablet. Whatever you do, you do it at your own risk!

before saying this:
Wait for the installation to finish (this takes a few minutes). Spend your time reading the text below these installation instructions!

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: paugustin

jk4592

Jun 6, 2011
It's so cool !!! You're so great !!! Can a511 use it ?

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A
Thanks for the rom Nothrills!!!!, I just finished flashing it and restoring all my apps and everything is running smooth. Not sure but the touch screen also seems to be more responsive than ever before too.

Sent from my A510 using xda premium

skymario

Sep 13, 2008
After long time waiting, finally we got new 510 rom :crying:

Thx so much to Thrills :) Thx for ur comeback :good:

I will flash it to9.

No Thrills No Great ROM

salisbury_steak

Oct 21, 2010
Manila
www.fb.com
Thanks for the rom Nothrills!!!!, I just finished flashing it and restoring all my apps and everything is running smooth. Not sure but the touch screen also seems to be more responsive than ever before too.

Sent from my A510 using xda premium

Thanks for confirming the touchscreen responsiveness. That was supposedly the improvement from the 73 build to the 99 build. :highfive:

NoThrills

Feb 14, 2008

I guess not. I don't have an A511 myself, but I'm guessing there is stuff for the 3G bit missing in the kernel.

If could create a A511 kernel myself, but I'd need someone with an A511 to test it for me.

Sony_Simon

Jul 31, 2009
Hi NoThrills,

i have EMEA_CUS1 on my Tablet can i flash your EMEA_DE without Problems (A510)?

I will flash it when i am at home from work, if the touch is really better i will make a party =D

I will make a Thread at handy-faq.de i hope this is ok for you?

Last edited:

NoThrills

Feb 14, 2008
Hi NoThrills,

i have EMEA_CUS1 on my Tablet can i flash your EMEA_DE without Problems (A510)?

I will flash it when i am at home from work, if the touch is really better i will make a party =D

I will make a Thread at handy-faq.de i hope this is ok for you?

Just to clarify: This ROM uses the updated 1.099.00 system files from the EMEA_DE stock ROM, because this seems to be the best build so far. I've transformed the ROM into a WW_GEN1 ROM, so it's a WorldWide ROM and with my recovery this can be installed on any A510 tablet.

And ofcourse, the more people who use and report about my ROMs, the better they will get :good:

Last edited:

NoThrills

Feb 14, 2008
My tablet is already rooted but I haven't unlocked the bootloader as of yet. Is that an issue as your instructions include for rooting the device?

• Without a unlocked bootloader, you cannot install a custom recovery
  • Without a custom recovery, you cannot install a custom ROM

So.... ;)

M1cha84

Dec 12, 2011
I have the german '99 Rom installed. In regards to the touchscreen sensitivity, installing this custom Rom wouldn't change anything, correct?

Gesendet von meinem A510 mit Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NoThrills A510 WorldWide optimized Stock ROM
    version 2012-12-17, built on Acer_AV051_A510_1.034.00 (JellyBean)

After several years of XDA absense, I'm back in the game! I've provided you guys with a working CWM-Based Recovery for the A510, but my main area of interest is ROM cooking. For those of you who are unfamiliar with a NoThrills ROM: It's a stock ROM, the way it should have been. Manufacturers often intend to build the best devices ever, but due to budget cuts or rushed schedules the most important part of development (finetuning) is skipped. That's where I step in! I create stock ROMs that look and feel the same as the original manufacturer ROM, but are vastly different on the inside.

Here's what's visually changed from the original Stock ROM:
    • NOTHING.

Here's what's changed on the inside:
    • Added additional languages: This ROM contains: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish and Ukrainian.
    • ThrillsKernel (experimental): Click here for full details on the kernel.
    • Rooted: SU (3.1.1), BusyBox (1.20.2) and SuperUser (3.1.3) installed by default.
    • Fully Deodexed: Both system apps and system framework.
    • Zipaligned: For better RAM usage.
    • /etc/init.d support: Allows you to run your own scripts or mods on boot.
    • System apps updated: See the second post for the full list.
    • FlexROM apps updated: See the second post for the full list.
    • AGPS Patch applied and LTO downloadservice installed: This should get you a faster satellite lock.
    • Ad-blocking HOSTS file: Makes your browsing experience faster and less annoying.
    • Added English TextToSpeech files: Why were they missing in the first place, Acer? German, Spanish, French and Italian were included by default...
    • Various performance tweaks: Faster file access, less logging, better response overall.

Installation:
    • Step 0:
      Check this thread to see if you can help the community before you let us help you!
    • Step 1:
      If you don't have it already, install my CWM-Based Recovery.
    • Step 2:
      Download the ROM from this post, extract the .RAR files and put the .ZIP file on your internal or external SD Card.
    • Step 3:
      Start Recovery by powering down your device, holding the Volume down (**) button and turning it on again.
    • Step 4:
      Make a Nandroid Backup. I can't stress this enough. Select backup and restore and choose one of the backup options.
    • Step 5:
      This step is optional, but recommended when you first install this ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset. Note that this will wipe everything from your data partition, including downloaded apps and settings. Files on your internal or external SD Card are safe.
    • Step 6:
      Install this ROM by choosing install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard or choose zip from external sdcard.
    • Step 7:
    • Step 8:
      Select reboot system now, and enjoy!

Please read the following carefully before installing this ROM:
    • I am not responsible for anything you do to your tablet. Whatever you do, you do it at your own risk!
    • This ROM is pre-rooted. Do NOT attempt to install BusyBox or SU manually or you might break root. You can safely upgrade BusyBox and SU!
    • When installed, this ROM will reboot the tablet on its own once, before Android fully boots. This is normal, it's not a boot loop but it's ensuring your tablet becomes rooted.
    • First boot (after the automatic reboot) will take a while (5 minutes is no exception). Just be patient, it will boot faster next time.
    • When the tablet has completed booting for the first time, give it another few minutes to get 'up to speed'. It should be much faster after about 5 minutes.

FAQ:
    • Want themes? Get them somewhere else! I probably don't like your taste, you probably don't like mine. So why pretend? Use this ROM as your base and start theming yourself!
    • Want mods? Your ideas might be good in your situation, they probably aren't in mine. Again, use this ROM as your base and start modding yourself!
    • Found bugs? Let me know! Although I can't promise I'll be able to fix them all, at least I will try.
    • Want to use this ROM as base for your own? Go ahead, make my day. But do credit me with a link to this thread, so people can also taste my flavorless contraptions.
    • Want to give me your first born baby? I'd rather not have that, but if you really want to give me something: Either click the 'Donate to me' button on the left, or simply hit the 'Thanks' button on this post.

Changelog:
    See second post.

Screenshots:
    See second post.

Downloads:
    • Full download
      (MD5 for the .ZIP file: 97319b1ab22acbfec6ab45a0774ae99a)
    New version online! :victory:
    Almost done with a new version based on 4.1.2 which can run on both the ICS and the JB bootloader :victory:
    Happy new year everybody ... :)

Same to you!

I'm currently finishing work on a downloadserver (paid by XDA user donations) to facilitate ROM downloading :highfive:
    HI, Im from Russia. The people from our 4pda.ru forum who could get the OTAs of 4.1.2 made an update.zip of it. Now everyone can update from 073 without loosing data. Im sending a link of it. The Firmware is checked and it's working.

Awesome. I'll turn this into the next NoThrills ROM so people can flash it without going back to stock Acer first... And be pre-rooted as well :angel: