Four simple steps to use alternative keyboards

Search This thread

aruangra

Dec 11, 2010
This approach works with non-smart keyboards.

1. Install your preferred keyboards from Market
2. Use ES file explore (with Root feature and RW mount enabled in the advanced setting) or use Root Explorer to copy the keyboard .apk file from /data/app to /system/app
3. Reboot and select the keyboard by pressing and holding at any text input box.
4. (optional) Sideload and install "Nookcolor Tools" from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=868366. You will have an option to set keyboards.

So far this method does not work with
- SlideIt
- Thumb keyboard (thanks fr4nk1yn)

Last edited:

fr4nk1yn

Aug 1, 2008
Norfolk
not sure why nooktools is needed. I saw no option to change the keyboard in it.
copying to /system/app armed to allow the option change but add thumb keyboard to the list of non-working ones.

Reactions: aruangra

aruangra

Dec 11, 2010
copying to /system/app armed to allow the option change but add thumb keyboard to the list of non-working ones.

Thanks. NookcolorTools has a button to change keyboards. As you said, Nookcolor Tools is optional. I updated the guide above.

jmalto

Nov 10, 2006
Swiftkey Phone and Tablet version work great, along with Hacker's keyboard (all functions of the apps work.) After you do the above steps, make sure to copy the lib files from /data/data to /system/lib as mentioned in a previous post. Once you do this, the program see's that it is installed and will continue with the setup.

I used the NOOK controls with root/superuser enabled to auto-select the keyboards it may or may not be a requirement. For swift, I was able to get both versions registered and fully working minus the Google search recognition because I can't find where to get the .apk without it going to the amazon app store. I also tried Swype and while the interface loads properly on the kindle, it does not function right and constantly closes whenever you hit a button.

ckong1

Jan 16, 2008
New York
Swiftkey Phone and Tablet version work great, along with Hacker's keyboard (all functions of the apps work.) After you do the above steps, make sure to copy the lib files from /data/data to /system/lib as mentioned in a previous post. Once you do this, the program see's that it is installed and will continue with the setup.

I used the NOOK controls with root/superuser enabled to auto-select the keyboards it may or may not be a requirement. For swift, I was able to get both versions registered and fully working minus the Google search recognition because I can't find where to get the .apk without it going to the amazon app store. I also tried Swype and while the interface loads properly on the kindle, it does not function right and constantly closes whenever you hit a button.

Swiftkey works for me but seems to be missing the swipe down gesture to minimize. I currently have no way to minimize the keyboard. Are you experiencing this?

Thelgow

Dec 1, 2010
Swiftkey works for me but seems to be missing the swipe down gesture to minimize. I currently have no way to minimize the keyboard. Are you experiencing this?

This is the exact problem I'm having preventing me from using it.

I used the nook app as well, but when you are in a typable area, just long pressing brings up the keyboard changing option.
I hadn't tried it prior to installing the nook app, but I know that's always been available on my phone.

Felnarion

Mar 23, 2011

I have the same problem. I had never used Swiftkey tablet before, so didn't know for sure about swiping down to mvoe the keyboard, but I tried it, and it didn't work.

It's extremely important to also move the lib files as described earlier in the thread. Without this, you will only get FC.

Thelgow

Dec 1, 2010
I have the same problem. I had never used Swiftkey tablet before, so didn't know for sure about swiping down to mvoe the keyboard, but I tried it, and it didn't work.

It's extremely important to also move the lib files as described earlier in the thread. Without this, you will only get FC.
I didn't touch any lib files and I didn't have any FCs. And if the minimize doesnt work for you, we can probably assume not a lib file issue then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This approach works with non-smart keyboards.

1. Install your preferred keyboards from Market
    2. Use ES file explore (with Root feature and RW mount enabled in the advanced setting) or use Root Explorer to copy the keyboard .apk file from /data/app to /system/app
    3. Reboot and select the keyboard by pressing and holding at any text input box.
    4. (optional) Sideload and install "Nookcolor Tools" from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=868366. You will have an option to set keyboards.

So far this method does not work with
    - SlideIt
    - Thumb keyboard (thanks fr4nk1yn)
    If any of these keyboards create a lib in /data/data/name_of_app/lib, you may need to copy it to /system/lib

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    anyone know if this works for Swype?

It works. I need to do additional step for Swype. After copying Swype apk file to /system/app and rebooted (that time Swype shows several FC), I clicked that apk file to re-install it. Then you should delete apk file from /system/app, otherwise it goes to FC again once it's rebooted.
    i'm trying to get swiftkey tablet x working again aswell. post 6.2 update that is. before it worked like a charm, but now it just keeps fc'ing

[EDIT]
    scratch that, it's working fine again.
    i'll try to sum up what i did.

1) moved the apk to sd and installed as i did before.
    2) initial setup began but fc'd as soon as i selected it as default input method
    2a) selected kindle keyboard as default again
    3) used rootexplorer to move com.touchtype.swiftkey.tablet.full-2.apk from /data/app to /system/app
    4) selected swiftkey as default input to get another FC
    4a) back to kindle keyboard
    5) rebooted the kindle
    6) selected swiftkey as default input again by longpressing the searchbar
    7) everything works just fine, no fcs, nothing

sidenote: i do NOT have the nook color tools installed

hope this helps :)