[Q] flashing locked bootloader doesn't stick?

Search This thread

RedBullet

Mar 31, 2010
So, my phone is running 4.1.2 rooted, and it got an OTA recently. The OTA failed because the bootloader was unlocked.

I thought easy-peasy, just odin flash the locked boot loader and download/apply OTA again, right?

Flashed fine, locked and clean for initial boot. But when it went to install the OTA, same problem happened, the bootloader was miraculously unlocked again, and the OTA failed.

Any ideas on how I can get past this? I really don't mind loosing root, just trying to avoid a complete odin reflash and loosing everything...

vax1170

Feb 14, 2011
I am just curious ... why would you want to update to the OTA 4.3 and forever lock down the bootloader? Once the verizon 4.3 update takes hold, you might be able to root, but (so far) will not be able to load custom roms without bricking the device.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I am just curious ... why would you want to update to the OTA 4.3 and forever lock down the bootloader? Once the verizon 4.3 update takes hold, you might be able to root, but (so far) will not be able to load custom roms without bricking the device.

Well your almost right. First off you for sure can root. Second you can install custom roms with safestrap. Its limited to tw roms atm. There have been a hand full of people who upgraded just to use safestrap. I wouldnt recomend it right now because its alittle buggy.

RedBullet

Mar 31, 2010
So, my phone is running 4.1.2 rooted, and it got an OTA recently. The OTA failed because the bootloader was unlocked.

I thought easy-peasy, just odin flash the locked boot loader and download/apply OTA again, right?

Flashed fine, locked and clean for initial boot. But when it went to install the OTA, same problem happened, the bootloader was miraculously unlocked again, and the OTA failed.

Any ideas on how I can get past this? I really don't mind loosing root, just trying to avoid a complete odin reflash and loosing everything...

Wife's phone. She doesn't want to mess with it.

I think I figured it out, looks like I had a custom recovery installed. Flashed that to stock and locked bootloader and all is fine now. Running latest and greatest. Just what the missus is looking for...

vax1170

Feb 14, 2011
RedBullet - Ah, I fully understand now ;) I'm having a similar conversation with my misses.

ThePagel - Thanks. One one of my phones was cursed with an accidental OTA 4.3 upgrade. Nice to know something is in the works, I'll dig up that thread and watch it.

RedBullet

Mar 31, 2010
RedBullet - Ah, I fully understand now ;) I'm having a similar conversation with my misses.

I assume if one wants to go the custom ROM route they would simply need to odin flash one of the older stock images and go from there. Doesn't seem like a big problem. Of course > 50% chance I have no idea what I'm talking about...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I assume if one wants to go the custom ROM route they would simply need to odin flash one of the older stock images and go from there. Doesn't seem like a big problem. Of course > 50% chance I have no idea what I'm talking about...

If you take the 4.3 OTA, you cannot odin flash an older stock image. Will brick your device.
    If you take the 4.3 OTA, you cannot odin flash an older stock image. Will brick your device.

Really? That is pretty tragic. I may only buy unlocked devices from here on out; they seem to be getting better and better at making their devices less and less useful...