[SOLVED] WMP + MTP + Android audio format detection

Search This thread

Aikidokatech

Mar 5, 2014
According to the MS website, Windows Media Player queries an MTP device to see what formats it supports. My Razr Maxx HD supports ogg and m4a. When attempting to sync WMP does not sync those files stating they might not be supported on the device. Being that I've had so much trouble in the past even getting any of the Android devices to be properly detected as an MTP device I'm worried this is a driver issue. I have not found any information on how to fix this but it seems I should be able to get WMP to at least convert them (not sure why it did not default to this).

Any ideas on if this is the device mis-reporting the formats, Windows not querying them properly, or an actual WMP issue? Would like to be able to get sync working without any conversions. Maybe there is a way to hardcode formats within the mtp inf file?

Last edited:

Aikidokatech

Mar 5, 2014
So I switched to doing research into how the codecs are matched to what a device can do. There are MTP format codes. I got the codes from <can't post url> for mpeg 4 (0x0000b982) and ogg (0x0000b902). Both the registry keys for ogg and m4a had not "FormatCode" DWORD value. <can't post url> I went to both locations, e.g. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Extensions\.ogg\, and added the appropriate FormatCode. I then reopened WMP and told it to sync the previously skipped file. Viola! It worked!

I only have one other post so I cannot post the URLs. Hopefully others that need the info can find it based on the description here.