[Q] Problems with AT&T update from 4.1.1

Search This thread

southernblonde

Dec 4, 2012
Myrtle Beach
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I've never been able to do the update to 4.2 from 4.1.1. After the download and reboot, the phone gives me an error message. AT&T was no help. I rooted my phone last year but I can't remember how I rooted it. Anyway, I want to update to a new stable ROM. My questions are, do I need to update from 4.1 to 4.2, then 4.3 and then 4.4? Or can I go from 4.1 to 4.4? And if someone could direct me to an easy problem-free stable ROM, I would be most grateful!

Jennifer

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I've never been able to do the update to 4.2 from 4.1.1. After the download and reboot, the phone gives me an error message. AT&T was no help. I rooted my phone last year but I can't remember how I rooted it. Anyway, I want to update to a new stable ROM. My questions are, do I need to update from 4.1 to 4.2, then 4.3 and then 4.4? Or can I go from 4.1 to 4.4? And if someone could direct me to an easy problem-free stable ROM, I would be most grateful!

Jennifer

If your phone is rooted, you could have difficulties getting an OTA update. You could either unroot your phone from the SuperSU app or you could manually do a 2-step update to 4.1.2 and then 4.3. Unrooting should allow your phone take an OTA update if you are currently on a stock ROM. For manual update process, please follow the instructions below ....

1) Go to the first page in the thread below ...
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2387423

2) Download the 2 zip files under update412.zip and update43.zip respectively to your computer
3) Copy the zip files to a good quality (micro) SD card
4) Place the card in your phone and boot to recovery mode by simultaneously holding down the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons
5) Hold the buttons until you see a blue message flash across the screen. Then release the Power button but continue to hold the Volume Up and Home button until you see the Android image appear. Then release the buttons
6) Use the volume up/down key to scroll to <mount from external storage> and the power button to select
7) Navigate to the first zip file (update412.zip) and install. Wait for installation to finish and your phone to reboot.
8) Complete set up. Check your phone settings. Then power off and reboot to recovery again.
9) Repeat the process for the second update file.

The latest (official) Android version available for the i747 is 4.3 Jelly Bean. Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) has not been rolled out yet for this phone so if you want the latest stock (official) system, that would be 4.3. If you are looking at a custom ROM, there are quite a few Kit-Kat based ROMs out there.

Reactions: southernblonde

southernblonde

Dec 4, 2012
Myrtle Beach
If your phone is rooted, you could have difficulties getting an OTA update. You could either unroot your phone from the SuperSU app or you could manually do a 2-step update to 4.1.2 and then 4.3. Unrooting should allow your phone take an OTA update if you are currently on a stock ROM. For manual update process, please follow the instructions below ....

2) Download the 2 zip files under update412.zip and update43.zip respectively to your computer
4) Place the card in your phone and boot to recovery mode by simultaneously holding down the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons
5) Hold the buttons until you see a blue message flash across the screen. Then release the Power button but continue to hold the Volume Up and Home button until you see the Android image appear. Then release the buttons
6) Use the volume up/down key to scroll to <mount from external storage> and the power button to select
7) Navigate to the first zip file (update412.zip) and install. Wait for installation to finish and your phone to reboot.
8) Complete set up. Check your phone settings. Then power off and reboot to recovery again.

The latest (official) Android version available for the i747 is 4.3 Jelly Bean. Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) has not been rolled out yet for this phone so if you want the latest stock (official) system, that would be 4.3. If you are looking at a custom ROM, there are quite a few Kit-Kat based ROMs out there.

Thanks for replying so quickly. When installing 412.zip, I get the following error message after Verifying Current System:
E:Error in tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 7)

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
What does MD5 stand for?

Earlier today I tried unrooting and downloading OTA but same problem as before....it cuts out early during installation, reboots and I'm left with 4.1.1

The MD5 (or checksum verifier) is an algorithm used to verify the authenticity and integrity of digital files. It is statistically improbable for 2 separately created files to have the same MD5 so verifying the MD5 ascertains that the file downloaded correctly and/or has not altered in any way from the original prior to your download. The download source for the files shows the MD5 of the original files so you can use the MD5 checker tool to verify the ones you downloaded. If the MD5 matches, then the file is OK. Otherwise, it didn't download correctly or may have been altered in some way.

http://winmd5.com/

However, the fact that you are unable to get the OTA update after unrooting suggests there may be a different problem with your device. Possible some security encryptions are preventing updates to the system. I'll suggest you back up your files and try doing a factory reset to return the phone to original settings then try the upgrade process again. Prior to upgrading your firmware, however, I would suggest you take the opportunity to free unlock your phone (if not already done). This can only be done on 4.1.1

southernblonde

Dec 4, 2012
Myrtle Beach
The MD5 (or checksum verifier) is an algorithm used to verify the authenticity and integrity of digital files. It is statistically improbable for 2 separately created files to have the same MD5 so verifying the MD5 ascertains that the file downloaded correctly and/or has not altered in any way from the original prior to your download. The download source for the files shows the MD5 of the original files so you can use the MD5 checker tool to verify the ones you downloaded. If the MD5 matches, then the file is OK. Otherwise, it didn't download correctly or may have been altered in some way.

http://winmd5.com/

However, the fact that you are unable to get the OTA update after unrooting suggests there may be a different problem with your device. Possible some security encryptions are preventing updates to the system. I'll suggest you back up your files and try doing a factory reset to return the phone to original settings then try the upgrade process again. Prior to upgrading your firmware, however, I would suggest you take the opportunity to free unlock your phone (if not already done). This can only be done on 4.1.1

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. I've been working on this phone all day. I'm still having issues with the phone after doing a factory reset and a hard reset. I unlocked it also. The MD5s matched. It downloads the update, then when it goes to install, it gets to 25% then bypasses the rest. The phone still says its 4.1.1. After I did the factory reset only, when I went to update, it was saying there were no updates available...thats what led me to do the hard reset. I'm ready to throw this thing in the ocean. I thought the hard reset would put it back to just out of the box fresh but I still see old apps in there like SuperSU and Mobile Odin Pro. Perhaps those apps are messing it up? This really has me stumped. When I USB it to my laptop and boot up Kies, it says there are no updates available.

I just wiped the cache partition and did a hard reset again. This time I downloaded the update412.zip from the sdcard and I got the same original error: E:Error in tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 7)

Last edited:

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. I've been working on this phone all day. I'm still having issues with the phone after doing a factory reset and a hard reset. I unlocked it also. The MD5s matched. It downloads the update, then when it goes to install, it gets to 25% then bypasses the rest. The phone still says its 4.1.1. After I did the factory reset only, when I went to update, it was saying there were no updates available...thats what led me to do the hard reset. I'm ready to throw this thing in the ocean. I thought the hard reset would put it back to just out of the box fresh but I still see old apps in there like SuperSU and Mobile Odin Pro. Perhaps those apps are messing it up? This really has me stumped. When I USB it to my laptop and boot up Kies, it says there are no updates available.

I just wiped the cache partition and did a hard reset again. This time I downloaded the update412.zip from the sdcard and I got the same original error: E:Error in tmp/sideload/package.zip (Status 7)

Please don't give up on your phone yet. It isn't that bad yet. The dreaded error message you are getting means that your recovery system is compromised. Also, once rooted, your phone stays that until specifically unrooted. Even a factory reset will not remove SuperSU and Mobile Odin and the definitive solution to un-rooting is to flash a complete stock image. However, you may be able to fix the recovery issue and get updates in a number of ways. First, you could reflash a complete stock 4.1.1 image via Odin. This will update all system partitions including recovery and should deliver a new and working recovery partition. It will also remove root and make it possible to get an OTA update to 4.3JB. You can download the Odin flashable file from Sammobile.com or from the following link ... http://www.4shared.com/get/zAmWJ54J/I747UCDLK3_I747ATTDLK3_ATT.html
Unzip and extract the *.tar file and flash via Odin.
The second solution would be to use Mobile Odin or Desktop Odin v3.09 to flash a new recovery partition. You'll need the same *.tar file for UCDLK3 but you'd only need to load the recovery partition. If this is successful, you can try the manual update process again.
The final solution would be to flash custom recovery via Odin and then flash the 4.3JB stock restore image via (custom) recovery. You could do the same 2-step manual update via custom recovery. However, a complete stock restore image is available for 4.3 which can be flashed via custom recovery. Please see the first page of the thread below ...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2658486

You can find the TWRP custom recovery Odin flashable file for your device via the link below ...
http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/d2att/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-d2att.tar

Hope this finally solves it.

southernblonde

Dec 4, 2012
Myrtle Beach
Please don't give up on your phone yet. It isn't that bad yet. The dreaded error message you are getting means that your recovery system is compromised. Also, once rooted, your phone stays that until specifically unrooted. Even a factory reset will not remove SuperSU and Mobile Odin and the definitive solution to un-rooting is to flash a complete stock image. However, you may be able to fix the recovery issue and get updates in a number of ways. First, you could reflash a complete stock 4.1.1 image via Odin. This will update all system partitions including recovery and should deliver a new and working recovery partition. It will also remove root and make it possible to get an OTA update to 4.3JB. You can download the Odin flashable file from Sammobile.com or from the following link ... http://www.4shared.com/get/zAmWJ54J/I747UCDLK3_I747ATTDLK3_ATT.html
The second solution would be to use Mobile Odin or Desktop Odin v3.09 to flash a new recovery partition. You'll need the same *.tar file for UCDLK3 but you'd only need to load the recovery partition. If this is successful, you can try the manual update process again.
The final solution would be to flash custom recovery via Odin and then flash the 4.3JB stock restore image via (custom) recovery. You could do the same 2-step manual update via custom recovery. However, a complete stock restore image is available for 4.3 which can be flashed via custom recovery. Please see the first page of the thread below ...

You can find the TWRP custom recovery Odin flashable file for your device via the link below ...

I finally did get it fixed last night, actually by one of your solutions there. I had googled the error message (status 7) and I found a thread here on XDA where someone said that because I had used Titanium to delete bloatware when I got the phone, I wouldn't be able to update until it looked right out of the box so I downloaded Odin and flashed 4.1.1. again. Thank God I didn't brick the phone with everything I did to it yesterday. LOL It was finally able to flash 4.1.2 then 4.3. Its disturbing all the threads I see going back to 4.1.1 from 4.3. Is there a huge issue? I'm going to try to find a stable KitKat to flash to. Thanks again for your help!

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I finally did get it fixed last night, actually by one of your solutions there. I had googled the error message (status 7) and I found a thread here on XDA where someone said that because I had used Titanium to delete bloatware when I got the phone, I wouldn't be able to update until it looked right out of the box so I downloaded Odin and flashed 4.1.1. again. Thank God I didn't brick the phone with everything I did to it yesterday. LOL It was finally able to flash 4.1.2 then 4.3. Its disturbing all the threads I see going back to 4.1.1 from 4.3. Is there a huge issue? I'm going to try to find a stable KitKat to flash to. Thanks again for your help!

Glad to know it's now working. I think there's more fuss than fact to the 4.3 question. As far as performance and functionality goes, Touchwiz 4.3 is a major improvement on the older Jelly Bean versions. The main problem, of course, is that the bootloader can not be safely downgraded once you are on 4.3. This is only a problem if you need to free unlock your phone which is only possible on 4.1.1. Otherwise, you can safely flash a KitKat based custom ROM. I would only advise you stick with a stable like you've said and be sure it's one that won't try to mess with your bootloader. Most custom ROMs don't but it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

southernblonde

Dec 4, 2012
Myrtle Beach
Glad to know it's now working. I think there's more fuss than fact to the 4.3 question. As far as performance and functionality goes, Touchwiz 4.3 is a major improvement on the older Jelly Bean versions. The main problem, of course, is that the bootloader can not be safely downgraded once you are on 4.3. This is only a problem if you need to free unlock your phone which is only possible on 4.1.1. Otherwise, you can safely flash a KitKat based custom ROM. I would only advise you stick with a stable like you've said and be sure it's one that won't try to mess with your bootloader. Most custom ROMs don't but it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

Do you have a recommendation for a stable Kit Kat rom?

Last edited:

Pfhyde

Jan 7, 2011
I am trying to upgrade to 4.3 on an unlocked, rooted SGH-I747 that I am using internationally (in New Zealand now); however, when I tried to flash a clean 4.1.1 so I could update to 4.3, doing a factory reset and cache wipe, I successfully load the firmware with Odin but then it won't boot past the blue pulsing samsung logo :( I think I need to flash a new recovery partition, as you suggest below, but I don't know how to do that.

Can anyone help?

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA

I'm not too much into customs. You could, however, take a loot at the new AOSP ROMS or CM 10x...

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

I am trying to upgrade to 4.3 on an unlocked, rooted SGH-I747 that I am using internationally (in New Zealand now); however, when I tried to flash a clean 4.1.1 so I could update to 4.3, doing a factory reset and cache wipe, I successfully load the firmware with Odin but then it won't boot past the blue pulsing samsung logo :( I think I need to flash a new recovery partition, as you suggest below, but I don't know how to do that.

Can anyone help?

You could have installed directly from recovery without first trying to flash a fresh 4.1.1. This would have only been necessary if your 4.1.1 wasn't working right in some way. Try booting into recovery and then doing a wipe/reset. If your phone boots successfully after this, then try the 2-step update -first to 4.1.2 and then to 4.3 via the instructions posted earlier in this thread. Please let me know if this works.

Pfhyde

Jan 7, 2011
I'm not too much into customs. You could, however, take a loot at the new AOSP ROMS or CM 10x...

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

You could have installed directly from recovery without first trying to flash a fresh 4.1.1. This would have only been necessary if your 4.1.1 wasn't working right in some way. Try booting into recovery and then doing a wipe/reset. If your phone boots successfully after this, then try the 2-step update -first to 4.1.2 and then to 4.3 via the instructions posted earlier in this thread. Please let me know if this works.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried wiping again from recovery but I get errors (see this thread I started for the details).

-pf

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried wiping again from recovery but I get errors (see this thread I started for the details).

-pf

Since you are apparently successful with Odin, can you try flashing an original stock image rather than the modified (pre-rooted) version you are using. You may download the original version from sammobile.com or do an internet search for it. The zip should be close to 1Gb in size but please make sure to verify the MD5 prior to flashing.

Pfhyde

Jan 7, 2011

Since you are apparently successful with Odin, can you try flashing an original stock image rather than the modified (pre-rooted) version you are using. You may download the original version from sammobile.com or do an internet search for it. The zip should be close to 1Gb in size but please make sure to verify the MD5 prior to flashing.

I did try an original stock, originally. I only tried the rooted stock after the original didn't work (got stuck with pulsing blue samsung logo). I'll try the one from sammobile.com (but I think that's where I got it the first time) and report back after I get off work late tonight.

-p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Jennifer

Can anyone help?