Galaxy S5 (SM-G900) - ROOT - Will I loose everything?!

Search This thread
Jan 17, 2011
I've been reading THIS thread and was wondering.. If I ROOT my Galaxy S5 will I loose everything?
If not.. What will I loose?

Also, I've never rooted a device before, Just wanting to know a couple of things..

Is it safe?
How complex is it?
What will I loose?
Can I 'De-Root'?

Thanks.

YoshiNurijumi

Nov 11, 2009
West Coast
I've been reading THIS thread and was wondering.. If I ROOT my Galaxy S5 will I loose everything?

Also, I've never rooted a device before, Just wanting to know a couple of things..

Is it safe?
How complex is it?
What will I loose?
Can I 'De-Root'?

Thanks.

Well, I have rooted many devices myself...but the S5, has a new security precaution that throws a code if you send in your phone. I forgot that its called, but basically it really voids your warranty FOR SURE. We use to be able to rest how many flashes we did, now not as easy. So if you think you need your warranty, DO NOT ROOT YET. Not safe if you have warranty....but they are working on a workaround.

Rooting isnt to hard if you READ INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY. Its pretty easy, but I say again, READ INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY! And as far as "what ROM would I use" question...thats alllllllll up to you. I say to each their own. Most ROMs are the same, just a couple of different boot or speed, but just find the one that fits you.

When you root, you dont loose anything. Its when you flash a new ROM is when you loose EVERYTHING. I suggest to back up everything with something like Super Backup or anything that will back up contacts, apps, call logs, ect. Again, to each their own on what app you use. I personally use Super Backup and it works for me all the time.

As I know from past phones I have rooted, YES you can de-root your phone, but when you do, you again have to wipe EVERYTHING and go back to stock. But remember, if you root RIGHT THIS MINUET...YOU WONT GET UPDATES OR ANYTHING BECAUSE OF THE KNOX SECURITY. So personally, I would wait till there's a work around....so you dont screw yourself.

Hope all this helps ya!!!

Reactions: NextGenUpdate_Cpt.S
Jan 17, 2011
Well, I have rooted many devices myself...but the S5, has a new security precaution that throws a code if you send in your phone. I forgot that its called, but basically it really voids your warranty FOR SURE. We use to be able to rest how many flashes we did, now not as easy. So if you think you need your warranty, DO NOT ROOT YET. Not safe if you have warranty....but they are working on a workaround.

Rooting isnt to hard if you READ INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY. Its pretty easy, but I say again, READ INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY! And as far as "what ROM would I use" question...thats alllllllll up to you. I say to each their own. Most ROMs are the same, just a couple of different boot or speed, but just find the one that fits you.

When you root, you dont loose anything. Its when you flash a new ROM is when you loose EVERYTHING. I suggest to back up everything with something like Super Backup or anything that will back up contacts, apps, call logs, ect. Again, to each their own on what app you use. I personally use Super Backup and it works for me all the time.

As I know from past phones I have rooted, YES you can de-root your phone, but when you do, you again have to wipe EVERYTHING and go back to stock. But remember, if you root RIGHT THIS MINUET...YOU WONT GET UPDATES OR ANYTHING BECAUSE OF THE KNOX SECURITY. So personally, I would wait till there's a work around....so you dont screw yourself.

Thanks!

Well I watched this video (uPcEeMhlR_8 - YouTube) and it seem's simple enough.

The warrenty side, to be honest I'm not that fussed about.. If it comes to it I'm sure dropping the phone down some stairs and phoning the insurance would work? ;)

The main reason that I'm wanting ROOT is a app I come across called Freedom? That allows free in app purchases?

Also, Will I loose anything on the device such as fingerprint scanning ect? When I was going to ROOT my S4 the thread I read said I wouldn't be able to use Air View (or something like that)

I'm not a total noob .. Just wanting to check a couple of things over first.

sarbe

Sep 26, 2010
Thanks!

The warrenty side, to be honest I'm not that fussed about.. If it comes to it I'm sure dropping the phone down some stairs and phoning the insurance would work? ;)

The main reason that I'm wanting ROOT is a app I come across called Freedom? That allows free in app purchases?

Also, Will I loose anything on the device such as fingerprint scanning ect? When I was going to ROOT my S4 the thread I read said I wouldn't be able to use Air View (or something like that)

Fingerprint scanning etc will not be affected by root and my previous phones, S, S3 and S4, didn't lose anything by rooting either. You can also use TA to set things back to official apart from Knox.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

YoshiNurijumi

Nov 11, 2009
West Coast
Fingerprint scanning etc will not be affected by root and my previous phones, S, S3 and S4, didn't lose anything by rooting either. You can also use TA to set things back to official apart from Knox.

Exactly what he said. You dont "lose" anything when ya root. You gain access to your ENTIRE phone when you gain root. Only when ya flash a ROM is when you lose things, but can get them back depending on the ROM.

As far as "paid apps" goes. We arent supposed to talk about that on the forum if I remember correctly...LOL...but check out APKGalaxy, pretty good app. ANDDDDD...as far as throwing it down some stairs and whatnot....Sometimes they can recover from that and see that your security was breached, but maybe Im wrong. Im just keeping an eye out for a safer way to root. But by all means, go for it!!!

Jan 17, 2011
Exactly what he said. You dont "lose" anything when ya root. You gain access to your ENTIRE phone when you gain root. Only when ya flash a ROM is when you lose things, but can get them back depending on the ROM.

As far as "paid apps" goes. We arent supposed to talk about that on the forum if I remember correctly...LOL...but check out APKGalaxy, pretty good app. ANDDDDD...as far as throwing it down some stairs and whatnot....Sometimes they can recover from that and see that your security was breached, but maybe Im wrong. Im just keeping an eye out for a safer way to root. But by all means, go for it!!!

Thanks I'll take a look ;)

Also, How do I go about re-booting?
I see a lot of app's about re-boot..

Will it break my phone if i turn it off and on OR reboot when its rooted?
(p.s its rooted now ;) )

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Is it safe?
    How complex is it?
    What will I loose?
    Can I 'De-Root'?

Thanks.

Thanks!