[Q] Dying ZL

Search This thread

Hung Wei Lo

Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
It seems I'm having issues with my 6506 ZL and I don't know if it's related to the Battery bug issue, and/or something else - so I've come to my brothers and sisters here to help :good:

1. The phone will not boot unless it's plugged in (either through USB or the wall charger) as once it hits the Sony logo (or animation) it will turn off.
2. Once I manage to get in, I'm able to use the phone with no issues
3. ..and when I unplug the phone again, if I leave it alone, I'm able to do basic things like use the unlock screen go to different homepages, and open the app drawer
4. If I select a widget, app, or go into settings, the phone turns off.

Since an update wasn't available via the PCC or SUS, I flashed the most recent firmware 10.3.1.A.0.244 myself, and it doesn't seem to help the issue so I'm led to believe it's a problem with the hardware itself - maybe a sensor or something that reads the battery as dead?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can try doing, or am I SOL and need to send it to Sony repair (and potentially have to pay to fix it)? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: mp3hitz

maclancer

Jan 9, 2011
Did u tried to contact Sony? They can replace your phone for free.

Sent from my C6506 using xda app-developers app

Hung Wei Lo

Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
In what country you are? Did you bought the phone from the carrier?

I'm in Canada. I bought the phone second hand, through kijiji.ca - it was locked to one carrier (Bell) and I'm with Rogers, so I had to get it unlocked. The rep kept insisting that I have to send it through Bell since it's "their" phone

maclancer

Jan 9, 2011
I'm in Canada. I bought the phone second hand, through kijiji.ca - it was locked to one carrier (Bell) and I'm with Rogers, so I had to get it unlocked. The rep kept insisting that I have to send it through Bell since it's "their" phone

There are ROMs available that allow you to unlock it and install any SIM card. I bought mine from Amazon unlocked.

Hung Wei Lo

Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
There are ROMs available that allow you to unlock it and install any SIM card. I bought mine from Amazon unlocked.

Thanks for the info - I'll keep that in mind for the future, now that I'm semi-comfortable flashing roms :/ Judging by the way he was grilling me, I don't think Sony would accept a modified phone anyway to repair.

But based on my issue, I'm lead to believe it's a hardware issue. Should I try flashing another rom to see if it improves (though I still need to figure out this business about kernels)

Hung Wei Lo

Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Update:

Sony is going to send me a coffin so I can ship my phone to them to get repaired. I have a feeling that they're going to ask for a proof of purchase, however, this phone was given to me as a gift, and the guy who gave it to me is only here 6 months out of the year...am I SOL? any kind soul out there have a bill I could "borrow"?

Reactions: mp3hitz

mp3hitz

Aug 20, 2013
Toronto
Sony Xperia ZL C6505 woes

I know this is a bit late (as the post is dated), but it is a hardware issue.
I had the exact same issue, and I managed to figure out the pattern to get past the "boot loop". I do believe it is a board issue, where there has to be some controller that lets the phone know when the battery is dead or not. And I'm 95% sure, its the heat generated by the phone that has ruined that component. Sony makes very excellent products (I've had a number of them- PSP, PS Vita, 2 Sony Vaio laptops), but sometimes when they make silly mistakes- like failing to properly dissipate heat from a handheld device running a quad-core processor. Never had any heat issues with the pSP or PS Vita, but definitely with the two VAIO laptops.
In this instance, I at first thought it was the phone battery, but i ran CPU-z utility on the phone, and it found the battery life to be good. I then took it to a place to change the battery (believing it was a false reading), but they confirmed the battery was good. The phone was experiencing a board issue.
So definitely no firmware flash or Android OS update is going to fix that. It may fix the issue in the future if it prevents some Android OS/Google system component from running the system hot. My phone is on Android OS 4.1.2, and when the battery level fell below 40%, it would start to get hot (roughly 65-70 Celsius); sometimes apps to help cool the phone would drop temperature to 42 Celsius.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems I'm having issues with my 6506 ZL and I don't know if it's related to the Battery bug issue, and/or something else - so I've come to my brothers and sisters here to help :good:

1. The phone will not boot unless it's plugged in (either through USB or the wall charger) as once it hits the Sony logo (or animation) it will turn off.
    2. Once I manage to get in, I'm able to use the phone with no issues
    3. ..and when I unplug the phone again, if I leave it alone, I'm able to do basic things like use the unlock screen go to different homepages, and open the app drawer
    4. If I select a widget, app, or go into settings, the phone turns off.

Since an update wasn't available via the PCC or SUS, I flashed the most recent firmware 10.3.1.A.0.244 myself, and it doesn't seem to help the issue so I'm led to believe it's a problem with the hardware itself - maybe a sensor or something that reads the battery as dead?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can try doing, or am I SOL and need to send it to Sony repair (and potentially have to pay to fix it)? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated
    Update:

Sony is going to send me a coffin so I can ship my phone to them to get repaired. I have a feeling that they're going to ask for a proof of purchase, however, this phone was given to me as a gift, and the guy who gave it to me is only here 6 months out of the year...am I SOL? any kind soul out there have a bill I could "borrow"?