Best path to get current.

Search This thread

lehthanis

Aug 17, 2010
Hi,

My wife has this phone and I'd like to get her updated to a more current rom, preferably CM 11.

She's currently bootloader unlocked with twrp 2.5.0.0 and running an older 4.3 rom based on cm 10.2 (eclipse). Baseband is vanquish_bp_100730.160.64.15p

We never took the update that got rid of the root or bootloader unlock, but now I hear that's been unlocked again so I figured its time.

Should I just fastboot back to stock and update or is there an easier way for us still unlocked users to get a current twrp and CM 11? Please advise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
you could use this, it will take you str8 to KK. there are other methods and rsd, but i find this easiest, and i maintain it :)
i highly recommend using the "data wipe" script, given your situation.
afterwards, install your recovery and flash su.zip.
Profit

billycar11

Hi,

My wife has this phone and I'd like to get her updated to a more current rom, preferably CM 11.

She's currently bootloader unlocked with twrp 2.5.0.0 and running an older 4.3 rom based on cm 10.2 (eclipse). Baseband is vanquish_bp_100730.160.64.15p

We never took the update that got rid of the root or bootloader unlock, but now I hear that's been unlocked again so I figured its time.

Should I just fastboot back to stock and update or is there an easier way for us still unlocked users to get a current twrp and CM 11? Please advise.

just so you know cm 11 for the kitkat boot loader is not stable it has many bugs i am running it daily no music playback speakerphone works for some and others it mutes you so i would stay on stock kitkat until cm11 improves for for the xt926 but there is good news from it hdmi and nfc work good

lehthanis

Aug 17, 2010
just so you know cm 11 for the kitkat boot loader is not stable it has many bugs i am running it daily no music playback speakerphone works for some and others it mutes you so i would stay on stock kitkat until cm11 improves for for the xt926 but there is good news from it hdmi and nfc work good

Even the snapshot builds of CM 11?

billycar11

Even the snapshot builds of CM 11?

there are only 3 test builds no snapshots from @dhacker29 these are the only ones that will work with the new kitkat boot loader as of today only 2 of them boot 6/13 ,6/15 and 6/11 never worked when clean installing here is a link to them i believe the bugs will get worked out and they will become official but someone tell me if im wrong about them becoming official. here is a link to the test builds http://loki.rombitch.com/Devs/Dhacker29/msm8960/

lehthanis

Aug 17, 2010
there are only 3 test builds no snapshots from @dhacker29 these are the only ones that will work with the new kitkat boot loader as of today only 2 of them boot 6/13 ,6/15 and 6/11 never worked when clean installing here is a link to them i believe the bugs will get worked out and they will become official but someone tell me if im wrong about them becoming official. here is a link to the test builds

I thought there were builds with snapshots for people who never lost bootloader unlock?

lehthanis

Aug 17, 2010
So if I upgrade to the kk bootloader, and then root with that utility, will my bootloader still be unlocked? What version of twrp should I install? Should I just chill out on stock with root and unlocked until CM11 is stable?

lehthanis

Aug 17, 2010
Or, better yet, are those stable CM11 builds for the jb bootloader any good? I wasn't able to flash them in the older twrp... How can I get the latest twrp for the jb bootloader and get one of those cm11 snapshots on the phone?

Edit: I guess I can use the twrp flash function of bwen diords right?

Last edited:

billycar11

Or, better yet, are those stable CM11 builds for the jb bootloader any good? I wasn't able to flash them in the older twrp... How can I get the latest twrp for the jb bootloader and get one of those cm11 snapshots on the phone?

Edit: I guess I can use the twrp flash function of bwen diords right?

i think your best option is to go to stock kitkat but the twrp from your post above will not work it is for the kitkat boot loader but do what you think is best.

iBolski

So if I upgrade to the kk bootloader, and then root with that utility, will my bootloader still be unlocked? What version of twrp should I install? Should I just chill out on stock with root and unlocked until CM11 is stable?

Yes, once the bootloader has been unlocked, you could have taken the 9.18 OTA, which patches the EXPLOIT allowing the unlocking, and you still would have been unlocked.

If you took the KitKat OTA, you would still be unlocked. Once unlocked, it stays unlocked since it's a physical change in the phone (blowing an eFuse). You can't set the eFuse to an unblown state. Kind of like a light bulb or the old screw-in fuses for a fuse box in your house. Once the filament in a light bulb breaks, or the fuse blows, it's "blown" for good.

So, once the bootloader was unlocked on your wife's phone, you could have taken any OTA and you would have been safe. No need to go to KK OTA and then unlock it again because it's still unlocked.

You've been safe this whole time.

Last edited:

lehthanis

Aug 17, 2010
I ended up putting the latest snapshot build of CM11 on after using the utility to flash a newer twrp. Working like a champ. I'll wait for cm11 to get stable on the kk bootloader before upgrading that. Thanks for all the help!