Gmail 2.3.5 without signature permissions

Search This thread

gsarrica

Aug 3, 2011
twitter.com
So... Lets just say I found this somewhere...

megaupload.com/?d=NMUVLKSZ

It is the new Gmail update (Gmail 2.3.5) with the signature permissions removed. All the widgets and apps that used the Gmail content provider are now able to read it again.

Instructions:
1. Uninstall Gmail (I usually clear data then uninstall)
2. Uninstall any app that needs to connect to the content provider. (Any app that stopped working after the Gmail update.)
3. Reboot phone.
4. Install the APK from above. (Gmail 2.3.5 with normal permissions)
5. Install your apps back.

NOTE: Google did change around labels somewhat. So just an FYI if some apps still dont work. They may not be able to tell what is unread. But I am guessing most apps just went for the unread count which still should be there.

NOTE2: You have to uninstall the other apps because of the way android asks for permissions. It may only do it once... I am not positive.

NOTE3: Good luck... This is all reversible as you should not even need root to do it. (I have not tested an unrooted phone) But I dont see why it wouldnt work. I am not responsible for your bad judgement.

Let me know if this works for others. I have tested it on my app Labelert.com and it seems to be working after I made a slight update to the unread label.

P.S. Sorry I cant post direct links yet.

Follow me gsarrica on twitter.

Last edited:

lawalty

May 16, 2008
Thanks.. when I get on my PC ill click ur 'thanks' button.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App

EDIT: I followed your instructions and BAMB everything is now working again! The only thing I had that pulled my gmail info was a little widget named 'Gmail Unread Count' the paid version.

I don't understand why Windozs Phone has an unread count tile, but a Google Android phone doesn't have anything like that. We have to rely on 3rd party developers, and now with this latest update, Google breaks it!

DAMN GOOGLE!

Last edited:

blees

Aug 4, 2011
fix for gmail 2.3.5 not working with 3rd party apps

correct me if i'm wrong but if you uninstall the google 2.3.5 update and roll back to previous version...backup and uninstall the 3rd party app (launcher pro) that was effected...reboot your device... and last , re-install and restore your 3rd party app ( launcher pro ) then in theory, the gmail widget and unread counter should be working!? Doesn't that seem correct?? Or has this already been tried out?

gsarrica

Aug 3, 2011
twitter.com
correct me if i'm wrong but if you uninstall the google 2.3.5 update and roll back to previous version...backup and uninstall the 3rd party app (launcher pro) that was effected...reboot your device... and last , re-install and restore your 3rd party app ( launcher pro ) then in theory, the gmail widget and unread counter should be working!? Doesn't that seem correct?? Or has this already been tried out?

Yes if you roll back all will work fine. But if you want 2.3.5 you can go this route and be updated with everyone else. Why roll back when there is a working 2.3.5?

donnieblasko

Jul 14, 2010
Thanks for posting this - I was intentionally not upgrading to 2.3.5 because it broke slidescreen, but it looks like SlideScreen might never be fixed :( http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/the-end-of-slidescreen/

Edit: Hmm it doesn't seem to let me install it on my EVO 4g with Gingerbread (HTC Stock ROM, rooted). I have the previous gmail version installed (2.3.4.1 i believe), and when I try to install the package, it just notifies me that it was unable to be installed :(

Last edited:

breebauer

May 27, 2008
Thanks for posting this - I was intentionally not upgrading to 2.3.5 because it broke slidescreen, but it looks like SlideScreen might never be fixed :( http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/the-end-of-slidescreen/

Edit: Hmm it doesn't seem to let me install it on my EVO 4g with Gingerbread (HTC Stock ROM, rooted). I have the previous gmail version installed (2.3.4.1 i believe), and when I try to install the package, it just notifies me that it was unable to be installed :(

I don't think you can just install over your existing gmail...

Clear data for gmail
Uninstall gmail
Uninstall apps/widgets that work with gmail
*Reboot*
Install new gmail
Install apps/widgets that work with gmail

Last edited:

donnieblasko

Jul 14, 2010
I don't think you can just install over your existing gmail...

Clear data for gmail
Uninstall gmail
Uninstall apps/widgets that work with gmail
*Reboot*
Install new gmail
Install apps/widgets that work with gmail

Oh ok - looks like I'll have to use Titanium Backup to uninstall completely -the built-in application list won't let me remove it

faith5x5

Nov 12, 2010
Thank you for posting this - I really like my "Missed It" and am glad to be able to use it again.

dulcificum

Jun 1, 2011
This would be amazing except I have two issues:

1. I have no option to uninstall Gmail in Manage Apps.
2. If I try and install it anyway, it fails...

Any ideas or updated versions?

B-rye785

Oct 20, 2011
This would be amazing except I have two issues:

1. I have no option to uninstall Gmail in Manage Apps.
2. If I try and install it anyway, it fails...

Any ideas or updated versions?

If your rooted you can uninstall with titanium back up. Then it should install apk. Also make sure your settings allow install from non-market sources.
Also should back up old gmail app first too.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Demonic240

Mar 18, 2009
Plano
The mega upload link does not seem to be working for me. Could some attach it to the thread or repost it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So... Lets just say I found this somewhere...

megaupload.com/?d=NMUVLKSZ

It is the new Gmail update (Gmail 2.3.5) with the signature permissions removed. All the widgets and apps that used the Gmail content provider are now able to read it again.

Instructions:
    1. Uninstall Gmail (I usually clear data then uninstall)
    2. Uninstall any app that needs to connect to the content provider. (Any app that stopped working after the Gmail update.)
    3. Reboot phone.
    4. Install the APK from above. (Gmail 2.3.5 with normal permissions)
    5. Install your apps back.

NOTE: Google did change around labels somewhat. So just an FYI if some apps still dont work. They may not be able to tell what is unread. But I am guessing most apps just went for the unread count which still should be there.

NOTE2: You have to uninstall the other apps because of the way android asks for permissions. It may only do it once... I am not positive.

NOTE3: Good luck... This is all reversible as you should not even need root to do it. (I have not tested an unrooted phone) But I dont see why it wouldnt work. I am not responsible for your bad judgement.

Let me know if this works for others. I have tested it on my app Labelert.com and it seems to be working after I made a slight update to the unread label.

P.S. Sorry I cant post direct links yet.

Follow me gsarrica on twitter.
    I won't have time to try this for a while, but I thanked you for this. :) Here's a working link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NMUVLKSZ