Freezing/SOD Issues on 4.4 KK Roms [Serious Discussions]

Search This thread

Simba83

Jul 28, 2011
Anyone heard anything or do we have to wait for LG and their kk release? When it freezes the sound still works as it should. Any cm release working better than others? Should i try a factory reset and M3 or can i just flash M3 without reset

Skickat från min LG-D802 via Tapatalk

Vseprz

Feb 19, 2014
Pittsburgh
Phone : vs980
Rom : carbon nightly 18th
Kernel : dr87 aosp v5 - intelliactive 300000 -> 2265600 / voltage +25 / 1024 fiops / 2 Multicore power saving / Dynamic fsync
Gapps : dho minimal gapps
How often does it freeze : none so far
When does it freeze : when I was on cm11/vanir it always froze in transitions.
Comments : This combination is the most stable 4.4 setup I've tried yet.

mo8175

Feb 16, 2012
Phone : D802
Rom : PA Beta 6
Kernel : Stock, interactive, Voltage: -50
Gapps : pa minimal gapps
How often does it freeze : twice a day
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : often in Press and Hangouts using SwiftKey

Alexithymia2010

Mar 29, 2011
For anyone having freezing/SOD issues on VS980 Omni or other AOSP type ROMs I highly recommend you try this kernel. I have had no freezes or SOD with it. The only things that don't work with it are GPS and recording video. So if someone can fix those issues then this is a very stable kernel/boot.img.
https://mega.co.nz/#!BxQHnZRR!SpU80bb3Mz7ml0Eik5wHvi_df4C5wTrgpH3EwCELPLQ

Edit: link fixed

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

I'd love to try this but first what is it called? I noticed one day I flashed a custom kernel that was designed for stock LG roms and still had the random reboots experienced in AOSP so I have a feeling it's a buggy kernel released by LG that all our custom kernels are based on and not because it is AOSP stuff.

ruvort

Aug 4, 2010
I'd love to try this but first what is it called? I noticed one day I flashed a custom kernel that was designed for stock LG roms and still had the random reboots experienced in AOSP so I have a feeling it's a buggy kernel released by LG that all our custom kernels are based on and not because it is AOSP stuff.

It was a kernel built for one of the first VS980 Omni roms

mekoor

Aug 25, 2009
Phone: LG G2 D802 16GB
Rom: CM Snapshot-M3 11-20140210
How often does it freeze : 5-10 times a day
When does it freeze: i can almost reproduce the issue every time - while google now launcher is running, using flipboard to quickly transition through post and using android app switcher menu to switch back and forth between apps.

Glad to see others are having the same issue... hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon. Was almost tempted to get rid of the G2.
Will try with HW overlays disabled and report back.

illyfilly

Oct 23, 2012
On my phone using latest MahdiVS980 and get reboots when getting incoming calls. After one ting it reboots.

Sent from my g2 using Tapatalk

alone-together

Jan 7, 2014
Phone : vs980
Rom : Mahdi ROM 2/16/14
Kernel : Furnace AOSP OC 1.7.0 - intelliactive 96000 -> 2496000 / deadline & westwood / voltage default / 512 fiops / 2 Multicore power saving / Dynamic fsync / eco mode on
Gapps : latest stock PA
How often does it freeze : very little, one in 24 hours at most
When does it freeze : had a problem where the screen won't go to sleep after flashing furnace which lead to SODs, rebooting after initial boot fixed it
Comments : Came from SlimKat, couldn't deal with the call echo so I was trying every ROM I could find. This one has great customization options (don't have a need for Xposed on this one myself, so I can use ART) and wonderfully enough this one is very stable and has no call echo on my phone.

Koopa777

May 18, 2012
So now that LG is pushing out KK, could we expect to see a possible solution to this issue, with a new kernel and whatnot?

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
So now that LG is pushing out KK, could we expect to see a possible solution to this issue, with a new kernel and whatnot?
Yes, once LG gets around to posting the kernel source. I'll make the request to them tomorrow morning, and it usually takes them about 3-4 weeks after a request before they get around to it.

wryun

Mar 29, 2008
SLC, UT
Phone : VS980
Rom : Paranoid Android 4.0 Beta 6 (02/27/2014) 4.4.2 KVT49L
Kernel : 3.4.82-kitkat houstonn@aospa #1 (Thu Feb 27 02:23:59 EST 2014)
Gapps : pa_gapps-modular-mini-4.4.2-20140227-signed
How often does it freeze : Every time I talk on the phone
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : When I use the phone app, I hear a tapping noise (the noise you hear when you sleep the phone and when you swipe to unlock it) a few times every time I put the phone up to my ear and when I am done with the phone conversation, my screen stays black and I have to force-reboot the phone.
Comments : Not sure if this is tied to the double-tap status bar to sleep the phone, or the volume keys. I also saw this with AOKP & CM11.

*[UPDATE]* After reading other people's input, I decided to flash the 3.4.77-PAEK v5.3 kernel since people reported they didn't get SoD after flashing. I will return and report in a day or two (after a few phone calls).

Last edited:

flyinj54

Sep 14, 2011
Ohio
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 6T
Vs980 running carbon build 2-28. Installed 3-6 no sods or freezes on this build for over 3 days. Multiple users reporting same results. I wonder if kernel developers could take a look at 2-28 boot.IMG and see what has fixed the issue. I've never been so pleased with this device. The sods were a real annoyance and I'm glad to have relief.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

enik_fox

Apr 4, 2011
Dahlonega, Ga
I really only get it when running benchmarks... Though I haven't since using furnace kernel. The liquid ROM for the sprint G2 has been a lot more reliable then a lot of other AOSP I've tried.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

drdnght mrk lazarus

Aug 18, 2011
Lenovo P2
OnePlus 8T
regarding these freezes I'm reading here

does it means that the phone reboots fully?
Cause I have those. Need to enter my pin to unlock sim.

Rom : CM11 M4
Kernel : Stock CM11
Gapps : PA-4.4.2-2014-03-07
How often does it freeze : ranges from several times an hour to daily, goes up when using DATA
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : standby, toggling data, pulling the quick settings bar
Logs (if you can provide them) : none
Comments : I get the impression that my reboots happen more when I'm moving with the phone, moving as in entering another cell tower. Also happens more when data is turned on. But never when the phone is charging

Last edited:

pinecone

Sep 17, 2010
One thing I noticed since going back to stock was that sometimes I'll make a phone call and it'll make a rising tone in my ear maybe indicating a call is connecting. I wonder if the clicking sound I used to hear was something trying to reproduce that tone? Not sure if this was brought up or if anyone thought of this. Sorry if this was brought up already.

daw41

May 16, 2014
Phone : lg g2 vs980
Rom : mahdi-2.5
Kernel : 3.4.0-ga8d2d98-dirty
Gapps :pa_gapps-stock-4.4.2-20140510-signed
How often does it freeze : 1-2 times per day
When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : Has frozen during use of multiple apps. It seems to have no discernible pattern.
Logs (if you can provide them) :
Comments : just before it freezes the lettering of Google in the top search bar of my home screen turns blue. I'm not sure if this is helpful or a fluke but it seems odd enough to mention. I hope this helps
Edit: after a minute of being frozen it goes to the lock screen when I unlock it it displays a message that says "keyguard test process has stopped" and gives me an option to stop or wait if I stop it the phone starts working again if I wait it freezes again

Last edited:

tg01dean

Mar 9, 2013
Solved for me.

Am using F320k (Korean) version of G2. Had these freezes when opening ANY app on my phone. Had to lock-unlock to go on. Hard and Soft reset didn't solved anything. I've found a workaround by disabling the animations and forcing gpu to render everything. No freezing since then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

This Thread is not supposed to be some offtopic discussion or flaming etc.

I'm creating this thread because alot of people have to those issues, which results in spam in every dev-thread.
    So why not create a seperate thread for exactly this issue? It might even help the developers find the cause.
    If you don't have this issue, DON'T POST. SAYING "I DON'T HAVE ANY ISSUES, EVERYTHING IS FINE" DOES NOT HELP ANY ONE.

Anyway, let's begin :

If you've been using 4.4 on your G2, then you're probably familiar with the screen of death bug.

What exactly is this?
    Well, since the first CM11 nightly there has been the following issue : When doing random things on your phone (let's say write a message), the phone would start to "slow down", "lag", " get sluggish". Whatever you want to call it. When you scroll up and down, it feels like using a single core device from 2010 with 800 mhz. Switching between apps causes the animation to stutter and be choppy (looks like 15-20 FPS?). Now, if you turn the display off and on again, everything's fine again. If you don't switch the display off, you'll get the screen of death (complete freeze of the phone, sometimes sound keeps playing and vibration works). If you now try to switch off the display, it will eventually unfreeze. I couldn't figure out the exactly how long it takes to freeze, but it seems like a 10 seconds.

Now why is this such a big problem ?
    As you can imagine, there are situations where such a freeze is the last thing you want to happen (I understand that 4.4 is not completely ready, but some roms are being considered totally stable...which is clearly not the case). I have a lot of respect for every dev working on this device and i don't want to tell anyone what to do BUT i feel like this issue has not been getting the attention it should.
    Because it happens on every KK Roms (PA, CM, Mahdi, Vanir etc.) it's even worse. Some people advice to disable TB, SuperSU Notifications, raise voltages etc. but that doesn't help.

So what can we do about it?

Probably nothing. But we can post our setups. When and how it happens. Which Roms is being used. What Kernel and so on to give the devs atleast a bit of insight.
    So please use this form :
    Code:
    Phone : 
    Rom : 
    Kernel : 
    Gapps : 
    How often does it freeze : 
    When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : 
    Logs (if you can provide them) :
    Comments :

My Report :
    Code:
    Rom : VanirAOSP 01/28/14
    Kernel : Vanir/furnace 0.1.3 AOSP
    Gapps : 1/11/2014 GApps Core 4.4.2
    How often does it freeze : 3-4 times a day (i can prevent some by turning the screen off)
    When does it freeze (apps that are being used at the time of freeze) : During random tasks such as chrome, youtube, reddit sync etc.
    Logs (if you can provide them) : Will post some later and edit. Don't have access to my phone right now.
    Comments : Stock Voltages (raising does not help), Ondemand/Interactive GOV, ROW, Stock clocks.

Once again, please don't clutter this thread with unneeded discussions. If it helps to solve the problems it's totally fine.
    And BTW OP, don't be so quick to be dismissive when people post suggestions. Some root apps are known to cause slow-downs (100% cpu usage)

Here's the thing : It happens even when you freshly install a kitkat rom. Nothing installed but the rom itself. I also went ahead and disabled root. Same result. It's obvious that some apps cause 100% usage, but completely slowing down the phone and even freezing it is NOT normal behaviour. The fact alone that it doesn't happen on stock or CM 10.2 should give away that something is wrong. I don't want to offend, piss off or hurt anybody but i would like to see this sorted out eventually, or find a good workaround.
    Firstly, I think this thread should be moved to Q&A section. Anyhow, I also have this freezing issue since long. Kmesg tells that the GPU composer crashed. Apparently the hw composer crashes randomly during an app open animation, keyboard popping animation, or portrait to landscape transition.
    I had 1-2 SODs a day while on CM. I switched to PA and installed PAEK v5.2 kernel no more SODs. Up time is currently 52 hours.
    For anyone having freezing/SOD issues on VS980 Omni or other AOSP type ROMs I highly recommend you try this kernel. I have had no freezes or SOD with it. The only things that don't work with it are GPS and recording video. So if someone can fix those issues then this is a very stable kernel/boot.img.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!BxQHnZRR!SpU80bb3Mz7ml0Eik5wHvi_df4C5wTrgpH3EwCELPLQ

Edit: link fixed