Why the HTC Evo 4G is so much better than Desire?

Search This thread

dudeldei

Jun 3, 2006
Porsgrunn
5. I don't know about that. It looks kind of big, and it is not as 'curved' as the Desire. IMO they both look just as nice, but they both have different styles.

I totally agree on this! The Evo looks way more like a brick and the finish looks a bit more 'plastic-like'.

I'm also a fan of some hardware buttons,such as the Desire has implemented, so I'm still happy with my preorder of the Desire :)

(and the 4.3 inch screen would have ruined the looks of my tight jeans) ;)

silverkiller

Jan 28, 2009
London
I'm surprised everyone is saying 4.3" is too large. I think smart phones are headed to the larger direction, Dell's android tablet with phone capabilities seemed like one of the first steps. (I forget its exact screen specs, but its way larger than an HD2/Evo)

But for me, the HD2 is the perfect phone, I just can't be tied down to WinMo any longer, it simply frustrates me. I kept waiting for them to release a version with android, and while the Desire looks fine (though I think the N1 may be better if only for guaranteed updates), I still miss that larger screen.

I guess its a preference, but the EVO is my perfect phone, just with the wrong radio bands :(.

But is 4.3 really too large? I still find web browsing on smart phones limited with the screens, i feel like it requires a lot of scrolling. And if you're saying 4.3 phones cant fit in skinny jeans, get a purse to go with you jeans and put them in there.

dudeldei

Jun 3, 2006
Porsgrunn
But is 4.3 really too large? I still find web browsing on smart phones limited with the screens, i feel like it requires a lot of scrolling. And if you're saying 4.3 phones cant fit in skinny jeans, get a purse to go with you jeans and put them in there.

I think the Dell has a 5" screen.

The thing is, I'm looking for a PHONE, with capability to easily browse the net, play games run cool apps etc...

If you're looking for a 'browsing-multimedia-device' with phone capabilities, then you might like a tablet instead?

wankingweiner

Mar 14, 2010
everyone here making it seem the EVO is too big i think is exaggerating slightly. The screen is way bigger yes, but the screen practically takes up the whole front of the phone, unlike the desire which has plenty on nonscreen on the front, around the phone.

Also i find the 720p video recording a major plus, and although i dont care much for 4G and the front facing camera, i would still chose the EVO over the Desire any day.

Im hoping for a European release of a similar phone. I know HTC wont release the same one because of 4G, but knowing how HTC like to mix and match a lot, they might bring out a 4.3" android phone with 720p recording by the end of the year. Im hoping at least because i called off my Desire pre-order and am willing to wait for info.

XDA mark

Dec 30, 2009
Rotterdam (NL) & Timisoara (RO)

My no means do I think 4.3 inch is TOO large. Off course I enjoy browsing on my HD2, watching YouTube, etc. But what I mean is: is 3.7 inch all that different? I don't think that it is, and you will still get almost the same experience as on the 4.3 inch screen. To add to that, because the screen is a 0.6 inch smaller, the entire phone also because more 'pocket-able'. That is something great in my eyes, because while the HD2 fits easily in my pocket (it is thin), it is pretty heavy. Also 'just using' the phone for something quickly will be sometimes hard on the HD2. I almost never use my HD2 with one hand while I am moving, because I am afraid I will drop it (no good grip).

But yeah, the screen sizes will keep growing and growing. Now it is between 3.3-4.3 inch, and I expect that to become 3.7-5.0 in the next years. Maybe the large screens will actually be USEFUL in the future, because now for example Android 2.1 looks perfect on a 3.7 inch screen.

wankingweiner

Mar 14, 2010
htc-evo-hd2-desire-ctia-09.jpg

if the desire is pocketable, then the EVO isnt far off in my opinion.

farnsbarns

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Remember that all these phones have the same resolution so, in reallity, a smaller screen means smaller pixels and lower dot pitch so it will seem more detailed and sharper. It's like HDTV, now we all have our 42"+ tv's and everyone is getting excited about HD, all it has really done is brought us back to the definition of 20 yr old 14-20 inch TV's. Actually definition is the wrong word for this reason, that's marketing for you! They should be called hi-res TV's.

Of course I sit a lot further from my TV than I do from my phone so taking perspective into account the pixels seem about the same size but at the same time, take your Desire and hold it 10% closer to your eyes (1inch?) and it works out exactly the same effect as the HD2 etc etc.

While all these devices have a *resolution* of 800x480, a 3.7 in screen @ 800x480 is higher *definition* than a 4.3 inch screen @ 800x480.

The point I am trying to put over is that a small difference in screen size makes no difference at the same resolution in the real world, it's all about bigger numbers in technology equaling higher sales numbers! Give me a bigger number for RAM, Processor speed, data speed etc etc, even resolution, but I am not that fussed about small differences in screen size.

Another thing that I thought about recently is that, on the other hand, if they can now get 800 horizontal pixels on a 3.7 inch screen (about 2.8 inches wide horizontaly) how high will the resolution on my 42" telly be in 5 years, If they cram as many pixels into the same space it scales up to about 8000+ horizontal pixels! Just give them time to cram that much data into the signal and were off!

K 7

Jul 28, 2009
Sheffield

I think overall size of EVO 4G & Desire does not have a HUGE difference, I mean I have HD2 at the mo & I like the size, 4.3 looks good. EVO 4G have less space around screen but Desire have more space left around screen, so 2 me 4G is not 2 big, it's great.

If we had Desire with same specs but with 4.3" screen, I think most of us would have been more happy with that too (caz we would not then have 3.7" Desire 2 compare with, so we would have taken that size as perfect) I think few of you will agree here.

K7

wankingweiner

Mar 14, 2010
yeah i have to agree with u.

Imagine gaming on this device, should be awesome :D
I'd also like to know if they are still using ClearPad 2000, otherwise it will still have the multitouch limitations of the N1 and Desire.

XDA mark

Dec 30, 2009
Rotterdam (NL) & Timisoara (RO)

Nice picture

I see your point and this is EXACTLY what made me say: 'ah, the HD2 is not to big'. I compared it to the iPhone, and it did not seem so much bigger, while the screen difference was huge.

But I have found out after a few months of using that infact, that small difference DOES matter. It is just a fact that for ME, the HD2 is just a little bit to big. And by this I do not mean that I can not use it. I can hold the HD2 in one hand and use it. But you just 'feel' that this is not the optimum size. If it was just a 'little bit' smaller (a.k.a. that slightly smaller Desire) it would have been perfect.

Desire = still phone. HD2 (or EVO) = already more than that (not a tablet persee, but somewhere in between). Yes, even though the difference is small.

TO CLEAR UP! I think the EVO is great! I just don't NEED that extra big screen ;)

Lukehluke

Jan 12, 2009
I personally would have liked at least a 4 inch screen, however I went from a 3.2 inch to a 3.5 inch and soon, a 3.7 inch and so its slowly getting bigger :)

gogol

May 20, 2005
Me too :) I like 4" screen.

The thing that I notice is that even the HTC Desire has bigger screen (slightly) than iPhone, but not in the wider side (the 480) ... In this side, iPhone is wider.

If it is a bit wider, it will help the virtual keyboard to have less cramped.

And I went from 2.8" (HTC Kaiser) to 3.7" (HTC Desire) ... !

I personally would have liked at least a 4 inch screen, however I went from a 3.2 inch to a 3.5 inch and soon, a 3.7 inch and so its slowly getting bigger :)

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Surprised to hear from ex HD2 owners that they now prefer a smaller screen when they kept talking about how great the large screen was then.

For me, there are only two reasons why I would want to switch from iPhone to Android: the opportunity to have a 4.3 inch screen and higher MP camera. But i do see the point that with such a small lense a higher MP is actually a weakness not a strength. I'm not convenced about bigger screen not a strength though. I think HD2 has just the right size, but I can live anything above 3.5 inch.

Nekromantik

Apr 1, 2010
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Google Pixel Watch
Surprised to hear from ex HD2 owners that they now prefer a smaller screen when they kept talking about how great the large screen was then.

For me, there are only two reasons why I would want to switch from iPhone to Android: the opportunity to have a 4.3 inch screen and higher MP camera. But i do see the point that with such a small lense a higher MP is actually a weakness not a strength. I'm not convenced about bigger screen not a strength though. I think HD2 has just the right size, but I can live anything above 3.5 inch.

yes thats true, smaller lenses and higher MPs do not go well. Take my SE C905, its got a good cam but the lense is too small for a 8MP resolution so a Nokia N95 with 5MP cam takes better pictures.

BerreZ

Dec 31, 2007
Leuven
Android

Next to my HD2 i'm using a Desire for 1 week.
With the upcoming revolution in the Windows world I've decided that my HD2 will be the last one in windows and I'm convinced that Android will rock the next years , especially for all the people who doesn't like closed and boring systems.
Now if you can compare the HD2 with the upcomming EVO G hardware likewise then I can assure you that the Desire is a lot more userfriendly : It feels a lot faster , the hardware buttons are better ( at the exception of the power button ) , the flash is better and most of all that Amoled screen is a pure joy.
So in comparison HD2 and Desire , I would always choose the last one ( Android you know )
Between the EVO4 and the Desire it's a closer call , but knowing that the screen is the most important interface , I prefer quality upon size and keep my Desire.

RXP

Oct 11, 2009
I don't know why people are saying the Desire's got a better screen. The HD2/Evo may have a LCD screen but it renders colours more accurately. The Desire and Nexus have had big screen issues:

ww.displaymate.com/Nexus_One_ShootOut.htm

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
My experience, after two weeks, is that there hasn't been a single second where I've missed my HD2.

Whatever the supposed problems with the screen might be I find it gorgeous. On a side note the device is ten times faster, smoother and more stable to use.....

So yes i can lose .5 inches of TFT; the loss of Windows Mobile alone makes it worthwhile.