[ROM] Cyanogenmod-5 For Dream/Magic - Mean Lean Pastry Machine - V5.0.8 (06/19/2010)

Search This thread

cyanogen

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
After a bunch of hard work from a lot of people, I'm happy to present CyanogenMod Eclair (Android 2.1) for the HTC Dream and HTC Magic!

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

There is some new ground being broken here, and a few bugs to still shake out but I believe that it should be pretty stable as a daily driver. Please help us out with *quality* bug reports (including logs).

It's important to know that the "DangerSPL" (or DeathSPL or Haykuro's SPL or whatever you prefer) is a prerequisite for Dream/G1 users. Magic (MT3G etc) users do *not* need to do this. Ciwrl has written a guide to installing this bootloader. Flashing this bootloader under the wrong conditions can actually brick your device, so pay attention to the guide. CM releases have always avoided this requirement, but the new bootloader frees up enough space so that no crazy hacks are required for a fully functional system, and it's easier to keep in sync with the N1/Droid releases.

What's NOT included that you'd find on a Nexus One:
* Launcher2 (too clunky for these devices)
* Stock Live Wallpapers (LWP support is there, but may not work with all LWP apps and/or performance may be bad)
* Facebook (install from the Market, contact sync works perfect, at least on Sapphire)
* Google Voice (install from Market, push notify works perfect)
* Gallery3D (too much of a memory hog)

What's included:
* Everything that goes with Eclair
* 3D, video, camera, camcorder, BT, WiFi, etc are all of course working

CyanogenMod extras:
* Can be used with or without Google applications
* Kernel 2.6.34 with Pershoot's tweaks
* ADWLauncher is the default launcher!
* Complete music app overhaul by Eliot Stocker
* New Apps2SD method implemented mostly by Chris Soyars.
* Built in USB & Bluetooth tethering
* Graphical enhancements, #boobs, and excellent wallpapers by Prash and SatanR1
* Includes BusyBox, htop, nano, powertop, openvpn, bash, irssi, and all engineering commandline utilities
* FLAC audio support from Kenny Root
* Phone enhancements from Cytown
* Contacts enhancements from Wysie
* MMS enhancements from, well, everyone (see changelog)
* Perform zipalign-on-install of applications
* DeskClock tweaks- longer autosilence and "require unlock" option :)
* Massive APN list
* All available locales are included thanks to PsychoI3oy
* 360-degree auto-orientation by Optedoblivion and Elanthis (enable in settings)
* OpenVPN integration thanks to James Bottomley
* Music app can respond to long-press on the volume buttons (from Metalhead)
* Many other bugfixes and tweaks from AOSP contributors
* Tons of work on the build system by Koush and Chris Soyars
* Big thanks to Zinx for debugging some really difficult issues! He really deserves most of the credit for getting this thing working so well.
* See the full CHANGELOG for all credits and details

All source code is available at the CyanogenMod Github! Send pull requests with your changes!

INSTRUCTIONS:
- First time flashing CM-5?
1. Root your device and install Clockwork Recovery (ROM Manager on the market) or Amon_RA's recovery (Dream / Magic)
2. Do a Nandroid backup!
3. Install the DangerSPL if you don't already have it
4. WIPE (I cannot guarantee an upgrade from CM-4.2 to CM-5 will work)
5. Install the ROM
6. Optionally install the Google Addon if you want Google Applications like Gmail and Market

- Upgrading?
1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
2. Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up and restored automatically)

HOW TO REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS?
- Was it a hard reboot? Get me the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
- Was it a soft reboot or a "boot loop"? Run "adb logcat" and get me the full output.
- Pastebin links preferred
- Please use the issue tracker whenever possible!

Latest version: 5.0.8-DS - 06/19/2010
Download: http://cyanogen-updater.googlecode.com/files/update-cm-5.0.8-DS-signed.zip
Download: http://android.chemlab.org/android/update-cm-5.0.8-DS-signed.zip
MD5Sum: 48f0c4304ed66c1528bf0bf098b04cb4

Google Addon: ERE36B
Download: http://kanged.net/mirror/download.php?file=gapps-ds-ERE36B-signed.zip
Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?marqwt53ii0

Magic 32A/EBI1 Kernel Update:
Download: http://briancrook.ca/android/cm-ports/bc-5.0.8-ebi1-signed.zip
MD5Sum: a90a1350d14e2f0bfd2c5f673d230649

A few known issues;
* Facebook from market breaks sync for Market users (see forum for alternative apk) - only on Dream, Sapphire is OK. Blame Facebook.
* End-Button-behavior in Spare Parts only works on 'Sleep' mode
* Camera apps may leak memory
* It's possible to corrupt your recovery image when running flash_image and memory is low. If this happens, you'll have to flash it with fastboot. It's a kernel problem that's being looked into

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!

Last edited:

qaid

Apr 23, 2010
wow! I just checked this forum before going to bed. I didn't expect a non-experimental version

welp, I'm not going to bed tonight

thanks for all the hard work!

doitmyself

Feb 9, 2010
Thank you for everything!
icon14.gif

HyDrO84

Dec 11, 2009
thanks much Cyanogen....I am just happy to see that you used my Idea about the nexus boot screen and made it a reality....looks alot better than what I saw in my head but great job on it....and to all that helped make this ROM awesome thanks for the hard work as well:D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After a bunch of hard work from a lot of people, I'm happy to present CyanogenMod Eclair (Android 2.1) for the HTC Dream and HTC Magic!

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

There is some new ground being broken here, and a few bugs to still shake out but I believe that it should be pretty stable as a daily driver. Please help us out with *quality* bug reports (including logs).

It's important to know that the "DangerSPL" (or DeathSPL or Haykuro's SPL or whatever you prefer) is a prerequisite for Dream/G1 users. Magic (MT3G etc) users do *not* need to do this. Ciwrl has written a guide to installing this bootloader. Flashing this bootloader under the wrong conditions can actually brick your device, so pay attention to the guide. CM releases have always avoided this requirement, but the new bootloader frees up enough space so that no crazy hacks are required for a fully functional system, and it's easier to keep in sync with the N1/Droid releases.

What's NOT included that you'd find on a Nexus One:
    * Launcher2 (too clunky for these devices)
    * Stock Live Wallpapers (LWP support is there, but may not work with all LWP apps and/or performance may be bad)
    * Facebook (install from the Market, contact sync works perfect, at least on Sapphire)
    * Google Voice (install from Market, push notify works perfect)
    * Gallery3D (too much of a memory hog)

What's included:
    * Everything that goes with Eclair
    * 3D, video, camera, camcorder, BT, WiFi, etc are all of course working

CyanogenMod extras:
    * Can be used with or without Google applications
    * Kernel 2.6.34 with Pershoot's tweaks
    * ADWLauncher is the default launcher!
    * Complete music app overhaul by Eliot Stocker
    * New Apps2SD method implemented mostly by Chris Soyars.
    * Built in USB & Bluetooth tethering
    * Graphical enhancements, #boobs, and excellent wallpapers by Prash and SatanR1
    * Includes BusyBox, htop, nano, powertop, openvpn, bash, irssi, and all engineering commandline utilities
    * FLAC audio support from Kenny Root
    * Phone enhancements from Cytown
    * Contacts enhancements from Wysie
    * MMS enhancements from, well, everyone (see changelog)
    * Perform zipalign-on-install of applications
    * DeskClock tweaks- longer autosilence and "require unlock" option :)
    * Massive APN list
    * All available locales are included thanks to PsychoI3oy
    * 360-degree auto-orientation by Optedoblivion and Elanthis (enable in settings)
    * OpenVPN integration thanks to James Bottomley
    * Music app can respond to long-press on the volume buttons (from Metalhead)
    * Many other bugfixes and tweaks from AOSP contributors
    * Tons of work on the build system by Koush and Chris Soyars
    * Big thanks to Zinx for debugging some really difficult issues! He really deserves most of the credit for getting this thing working so well.
    * See the full CHANGELOG for all credits and details

All source code is available at the CyanogenMod Github! Send pull requests with your changes!

INSTRUCTIONS:
    - First time flashing CM-5?
    1. Root your device and install Clockwork Recovery (ROM Manager on the market) or Amon_RA's recovery (Dream / Magic)
    2. Do a Nandroid backup!
    3. Install the DangerSPL if you don't already have it
    4. WIPE (I cannot guarantee an upgrade from CM-4.2 to CM-5 will work)
    5. Install the ROM
    6. Optionally install the Google Addon if you want Google Applications like Gmail and Market

- Upgrading?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up and restored automatically)

HOW TO REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS?
    - Was it a hard reboot? Get me the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
    - Was it a soft reboot or a "boot loop"? Run "adb logcat" and get me the full output.
    - Pastebin links preferred
    - Please use the issue tracker whenever possible!

Latest version: 5.0.8-DS - 06/19/2010
    Download: http://cyanogen-updater.googlecode.com/files/update-cm-5.0.8-DS-signed.zip
    Download: http://android.chemlab.org/android/update-cm-5.0.8-DS-signed.zip
    MD5Sum: 48f0c4304ed66c1528bf0bf098b04cb4

Google Addon: ERE36B
    Download: http://kanged.net/mirror/download.php?file=gapps-ds-ERE36B-signed.zip
    Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?marqwt53ii0

Magic 32A/EBI1 Kernel Update:
    Download: http://briancrook.ca/android/cm-ports/bc-5.0.8-ebi1-signed.zip
    MD5Sum: a90a1350d14e2f0bfd2c5f673d230649

A few known issues;
    * Facebook from market breaks sync for Market users (see forum for alternative apk) - only on Dream, Sapphire is OK. Blame Facebook.
    * End-Button-behavior in Spare Parts only works on 'Sleep' mode
    * Camera apps may leak memory
    * It's possible to corrupt your recovery image when running flash_image and memory is low. If this happens, you'll have to flash it with fastboot. It's a kernel problem that's being looked into

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!
    read every page still didn't get an answer.

K, on Cyan forums, and IRC, Cyan stated that they Battery % indicator was NOT causing the bat drain. There's no way it could. He was just tired of people sitting there baby sitting their phones watching it drain by % and posting "my phone just went from 99% to 70% in 5 min. wah wah wah..."

It was turned off by default in T6 I believe. You can turn it back on in Spare Parts.
    I just installed the rom on my G1, but I have the problem that I can't get any data connection via UMTS/3G. the APN is correct. Is there any solution?
    Whenever I try to do a Nandroid backup via recovery console, it fails and tells me to run nandroid-mobile.sh via the command line console.

This works but I dont think it backs up EXT. How can I verify this? Is there another switch besides -b?

nandroid-mobile.sh -b
    Run nandroid-mobile.sh | more and it'll dump an entire long list of switches you can use.
    OK, on 06/20 I flashed 5.0.8 Stable, moving from 5.0.8 test 4 (used Amon Ra's recovery to do it). 5.0.8 fixed a lot of problems I was having, particularly with the Gallery and USB Mount. Great work there.

However, I then Installed Recovery Mod (Clockwork). Still had recovery mode, because this morning, I flashed Community Hero Mix 2.1. I didn't check for the Recovery mode after doing that.

Then, I downloaded an update for Clockwork out of the market. I installed the new Recovery Mod. Then, since everything was working, I went to do a Nandroid. Power Off, then power on + Home button does nothing but lock at the G1 start screen.

I've pulled the battery multiple times to get out of the start screen lock. I've re-installed Amon Ra's Recovery, downgraded to the previous version of Clockwork, and re-installed the Clockwork recovery. Ran fix_permissions, phone hung up. Eventually, the battery died. Now, it plain won't get past the G1 logo. Nothing's working. Noticed on Amon Ra's page that his recovery won't work for 5.0.7 because of a "memory leak". But if that's the hold-up, I shouldn't have been able to get to 5.0.8 test 4, then to stable, should I?

G1, ClockworkMod 2.0.0.7, Cyanogen 5.0.8-Stable, CHM 2.1, DangerSPL'd.

I CAN GET TO FASTBOOT, BUT DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT I CAN DO FROM THERE!

you miss understand
    ra is compatible with cm5.0.x, it is cm5.0.x which has a bug flashing recovery images

fastboot is here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=463627
    ( I'm assuming you are a windows user, since you can't find it yourself, if not search is here http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...s7umqefhnf&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=fastboot&sa=Search )

once you have fastboot setup on your pc
    get your phone into fastboot mode, plug in the usb then from command prompt on the pc
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery C:\downloads\recovery<version>.img

you may need the correct usb drivers for adb, search for adb

personally I wouldn't bother with clockwork, especially since cm5.0.x has issues flashing recovery images