Read something interesting lastnight

Search This thread

swtaltima

Mar 16, 2007
Long Beach
I read on this other forum http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/htc-p4450-kaiser/89014-htc-p4450-release-rumor-thread-4.html in this thread they say that it will be released in like November. They say that the person mention this did not say who his source was it still worried me cuz that is the month the 8525 was released. Additionally they mention the 8925 will not have the front facing camera nor will it have built in GPS!!!

I personally will probably boycott AT&T if this is true or at least petition this BS. I mean seriously I love my 8525 but I am getting sick and tired of at&t stripping features out of the damn devices. I am wondering if any of these claims have any value or are they just more incoherent gibberish from the internet.

Any thoughts?

Shadowmite

Aug 22, 2005
www.shadowmite.com
I would entirely believe they could strip out those features. The front facing camera is useless in the usa as we have no infrastructure to use it. The GPS now, that's the sticky subject. Yes, they could release it and have one of the first devices ever in the usa to support built in standalone gps... But they have a service they sell at $10 or $15 a month to do the same thing. Releasing this phone would take away "revenue" as far as their bean counters will be concerned. It doesn't matter how many of those people would or would not pay for it, it's just a matter of potential revenue to them.

What will happen? That's still up in the air, but rest easy knowing it's still easy enough to get a import if need be!

warwickwebb

Sep 9, 2005
No GPS?

I don't care if they leave out the front camera. But if AT&T is dumb enough to disable the GPS, I'm buying an unlocked Kaiser, period. I hate it when companies cripple perfectly good technology. It's not even like they would be getting revenue from GPS if they crippled it - they'd just be preventing us from using free GPS.....

swtaltima

Mar 16, 2007
Long Beach
I would entirely believe they could strip out those features. The front facing camera is useless in the usa as we have no infrastructure to use it. The GPS now, that's the sticky subject. Yes, they could release it and have one of the first devices ever in the usa to support built in standalone gps... But they have a service they sell at $10 or $15 a month to do the same thing. Releasing this phone would take away "revenue" as far as their bean counters will be concerned. It doesn't matter how many of those people would or would not pay for it, it's just a matter of potential revenue to them.

What will happen? That's still up in the air, but rest easy knowing it's still easy enough to get a import if need be!

In regard to the lack of support for the front facing camera I thought they were planning on do the whole video share thing? I even found the option for video share on the wm6 beta I put on my girlfriends blackjack. In regard to the bean counters and potential loss of revenue? As far as I know the gps module does not determine who one will use for navigation. I currently have a gps chip through at&t however the same one is available elsewhere. Furthermore, telenav is offered to other carriers as well. The only way I can see this taking money away from them is it came with not only the chip but the software (maps) as well. If it does not come with maps I will still most likely stay with telenav through at&t.

swtaltima

Mar 16, 2007
Long Beach
What will happen? That's still up in the air, but rest easy knowing it's still easy enough to get a import if need be![/QUOTE]

Yeah, heres the other thing. I am aware I can get the kaiser and use my at&t sim but I doubt I could find the kaiser for $100 or so. I have a contact I send almost 30 customers a year to so I get the supreme hook up. My beef is with AT&T, I think they need to quit being so f_cking retarded and give their loyal customers the device they demand. Unaltered!!!

I am actually surprised they didnt take away the touch screen LOL, bunch of frickin idiots, hey we should all chip in and buy them a new brain. According to my calculations it should take about a dollar to upgrade from their existing :D

Ill throw in the first .02

evolution_theory

Jan 16, 2007
Bay Area, CA
AT&T has in the works a video call service.
The iPAQ has offered GPS for a long time.
There is no reason to remove GPS from the 8925 and I seriously doubt this would happen. I COULD see them removing the front camera though.

I think Ive decided to just buy an unlocked HTC instead of getting the Cingular 8925 because this phone will more than likely be nerfed.

weinson

Nov 22, 2006
Oakland, CA
AT&T has in the works a video call service.
The iPAQ has offered GPS for a long time.
There is no reason to remove GPS from the 8925 and I seriously doubt this would happen. I COULD see them removing the front camera though.

I think Ive decided to just buy an unlocked HTC instead of getting the Cingular 8925 because this phone will more than likely be nerfed.

Note what AT&T is doing to the blackberrry 8800 series ... they have neutered the GPS so that it only works if you sign up for the $10/mo TeleNav services. I can confirm this is not a rumor, having seen some recent 8800 series 8800 series devices in the last week. There should be some way to hack around this if they do the same on the 8925, but I would predict a similar approach ... leave the radio in place, but disable without the consumer spending more $$.

shogunmark

Retired Senior Moderator
May 10, 2006
ok.. let me throw in my 2 cents real quick.....

First off, GPS..
I have been told from a reliable source that it will be crippled through the ATT rom to be used with telenav only... like the 8800 crap.. but im sure that we here can figure something out on making it work otherwise, so im not worried about that...

Phone versions....
I have also heard from the same reliable source that there will be 3 different versions:
8900 - No camera's
8915 - Back 3MP no front camera
8925 - back 3MP camera, and front camera for VideoShare service...

Hope this clears the air for some people... my source is reliable, but things could change....

warwickwebb

Sep 9, 2005
Hahahahaha

hahahaha...haha...ha....ahem.

Sorry, just looked at the Telenav site to understand what this service is. You get 'unlimited routes' for $10 a month or 10 routes for just $5.99 a month!

Charging per route for a GPS device. Amazing. Why don't they just charge us for each appointment we store in our Pocket PC calendar too?

"Hmmm, I really want to find my way to that new restaurant - but I wonder how many routes I've used this month?"

Ridiculous.

weinson

Nov 22, 2006
Oakland, CA

First off, GPS..
I have been told from a reliable source that it will be crippled through the ATT rom to be used with telenav only... like the 8800 crap.. but im sure that we here can figure something out on making it work otherwise, so im not worried about that...

Phone versions....
I have also heard from the same reliable source that there will be 3 different versions:
8900 - No camera's

Hope this clears the air for some people... my source is reliable, but things could change....

Thanks for the info ... you always seem spot on with your sources... and that configuration would make some marketing sense

Any chance your source has any greater clarity on release dates? I figure I might as well plan on November, since that would be par for the course, but if you have anything more solid, let us know.

swtaltima

Mar 16, 2007
Long Beach

First off, GPS..

Phone versions....
8900 - No camera's

I can definately deal with this as I use telenav already and have found it to be reliable enough. I am wondering if your "reliable source has an idea on release date? Just curious. Thanks for your input.

shogunmark

Retired Senior Moderator
May 10, 2006
Thanks for the info ... you always seem spot on with your sources... and that configuration would make some marketing sense

Any chance your source has any greater clarity on release dates? I figure I might as well plan on November, since that would be par for the course, but if you have anything more solid, let us know.

release date is one thing i cant get my hands on... it seems that they always like to change their minds... look at what happened with the 8525... i myself am planning on november, i will probably crack and buy a real kaiser before then..

iservealot

Jun 11, 2007
I read on this other forum http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/htc-p4450-kaiser/89014-htc-p4450-release-rumor-thread-4.html in this thread they say that it will be released in like November. They say that the person mention this did not say who his source was it still worried me cuz that is the month the 8525 was released. Additionally they mention the 8925 will not have the front facing camera nor will it have built in GPS!!!

I personally will probably boycott AT&T if this is true or at least petition this BS. I mean seriously I love my 8525 but I am getting sick and tired of at&t stripping features out of the damn devices. I am wondering if any of these claims have any value or are they just more incoherent gibberish from the internet.

Any thoughts?

This all sounds like pure speculation.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

Yeah, heres the other thing. I am aware I can get the kaiser and use my at&t sim but I doubt I could find the kaiser for $100 or so. I have a contact I send almost 30 customers a year to so I get the supreme hook up. My beef is with AT&T, I think they need to quit being so f_cking retarded and give their loyal customers the device they demand. Unaltered!!!

I am actually surprised they didnt take away the touch screen LOL, bunch of frickin idiots, hey we should all chip in and buy them a new brain. According to my calculations it should take about a dollar to upgrade from their existing :D

Ill throw in the first .02[/QUOTE]

It could be worse - you could be a Verizon customer like I used to be.

AT&T has NOTHING on Verizon when it comes to phone crippling.

Disabling GPS would suck, it makes no sense other than greed.

Removing front camera may be a different story, as I recall hearing that the non-front-camera variant may have a slightly thinner form factor. Given that the phone is going to be targeted towards the business market where any camera can often be problematic, I can easily see AT&T choosing form factor over function in the case of a front-camera-or-not tradeoff if such a tradeoff situation exists.