Votes: 31 4.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

wesbalmer

Oct 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.rawc.net
IMG_1170.JPG

Okay, so my friend had purchased a 32GB Metalic Grey and has the same issue. We're returning today.

What a pain in the ass it was to grab that pic...

Last edited:

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
PSA. My first tab had water under the screen that only showed up under direct sunlight. Check yours, I had to return my tab today and grabbed the last one in stock.

I don't think what you saw was moisture. It is "liquid" part of the LCD tech. I had it on my tab in one small spot that will only show up when you depress it.
My latest exchanged Tab does not have it.

sent from an android device

lse4

Feb 9, 2009
I believe I had the same thing... Right in the middle it looked like if u would push a TV screen in. it had that kinda mark on mine. And on top of that I ordered the grey back and they gave me the white one... So I returned it

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: poisike

SenatorKen

Jun 20, 2011
Tulsa
Moisture Under Screen

Glad i found this post. I have the same issue. I also wonder if its a defect/should be replaced or whethe iits likely to "evaporate" or worsen over time.

SenatorKen

Jun 20, 2011
Tulsa
thanks, saw other thread on 'build quality issue', and seeing he had three bad, with dead pixels a nd/or dust under the screen, was wondering if i may get a worse one. Guess ill call to find one and inspect new one in store.

wesbalmer

Oct 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.rawc.net
I actually didn't grab a photo before I returned it. Hold it at verying angles in direct sunlight, it would literally look like liquid pressed between the digitizer and LCD panel, very squishy and maluable.

SenatorKen

Jun 20, 2011
Tulsa
Mine seems marginal, first showed up on third day after trying on a belkin case (snug fit), only a 2" x 1/2" area. Spot was still there several hours, then disappeared when i pressed in slightly on outer sides of tab. Couldnt reproduce at geeksquad's (rep tried to say normal due to its tech). Bought a belkin case afterward (thought squeezing the tab into old leather ipad case might have contrib'd to problem). Well, after inserting into belkin slim profile case, moisture spot reappeared, maybe 3" x 3/4". this morning it's gone again.

mastermayhem

Aug 6, 2010
When I first took off the protective coating out of the box I had the same issue. It was like there was liquid between two screens, right in the middle. I could push near the spot and could "spread" the spot but when i stopped pushing it went back. It wasn't really visible when the screen was on.

I was going to return it just to be safe, but I left for a few hours and when I came back the spot was gone. It hasn't returned since (although its only been 5 days).

Update:
Spot came back on Tuesday night, then went away again, but I decided to be safe and took it back to best buy. I exchanged it, and noticed what looked like a piece of dust under the glass on the next one (not a dead pixel, but just a pixel size white speck) so I took it back again, and when I was returning it the sales person noticed "liquid" on this one as well. She said when they were examining the other one the figured out it happened when you apply pressure in a certain way, sometimes squeezing the sides together long ways, or just pressing hard on the glass. Its definitely the glass coming into contact with the screen. It comes and goes and doesn't seem to really affect anything, just depends on where and how hard you are pushing on the tablet. They also said some tablets appeared more susceptible to it than others, I guess it's just a consequence of having the tablet be so thin.

Anyway the third one I got also had a speck of dust under the screen, so they think it may have been a bad batch. The sales associate actually said "maybe someone in the assembly room had dandruff" ha! I'm keeping the 3rd one for now, I'll probably go exchange it again when they get a new shipment as they didn't have any more yesterday.

Last edited:

anilkuj

Jul 25, 2007
jersey city
When I first took off the protective coating out of the box I had the same issue. It was like there was liquid between two screens, right in the middle. I could push near the spot and could "spread" the spot but when i stopped pushing it went back. It wasn't really visible when the screen was on.

I was going to return it just to be safe, but I left for a few hours and when I came back the spot was gone. It hasn't returned since (although its only been 5 days).

i had the exact same thing happen to me , it was there in the evening next day morning it had disappeared. Just to be safe i have ordered for an replacement .

yay pie

Jan 23, 2011
I had this on my I/O model, along with the screen separating from the top left & right corners.

Samsung replaced it and there have been no issues with my replacement model.

SenatorKen

Jun 20, 2011
Tulsa
Mine seems marginal, first showed up on third day after trying on a belkin case (snug fit), only a 2" x 1/2" area. Spot was still there several hours, then disappeared when i pressed in slightly on outer sides of tab. Couldnt reproduce at geeksquad's (rep tried to say normal due to its tech). Bought a belkin case afterward (thought squeezing the tab into old leather ipad case might have contrib'd to problem). Well, after inserting into belkin slim profile case, moisture spot reappeared, maybe 3" x 3/4". this morning it's gone again.

Issue returned, spoke with geek squad, the 32GB is out of stock, but will exchange when they come in.

rjohmit

Jun 22, 2011
Hey guys...new here but I got my Tab on Friday and almost immediately noticed the "oil slick" issue under the screen. It would appear when I touched that part of the screen but went away when left alone. I contacted Samsung Support on Friday via chat and the guy said the problem hadn't been reported and that it would go away.

Unfortunately after a couple days, it was taking longer to go away so I contacted Samsung again. They offered to repair it, but I wanted a new one so I returned it and ordered another one. I took a couple pics but I'm apparently not allowed to link them yet.

tq745

Aug 22, 2009
Hey guys...new here but I got my Tab on Friday and almost immediately noticed the "oil slick" issue under the screen. It would appear when I touched that part of the screen but went away when left alone. I contacted Samsung Support on Friday via chat and the guy said the problem hadn't been reported and that it would go away.

Unfortunately after a couple days, it was taking longer to go away so I contacted Samsung again. They offered to repair it, but I wanted a new one so I returned it and ordered another one. I took a couple pics but I'm apparently not allowed to link them yet.

pm me the link and i'll link them for you.

here it is...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ww.everylastcrumb.com/rick/i...ab_screen1.jpg

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ww.everylastcrumb.com/rick/i...ab_screen2.jpg

Last edited:

ericc191

Jan 28, 2007
West Fork
Whoa, that is not good. Going to check mine right now. I noticed it when i accidentally press down too hard on the screen but those spots go away immediately.

anilkuj

Jul 25, 2007
jersey city
i had the exact same thing happen to me , it was there in the evening next day morning it had disappeared. Just to be safe i have ordered for an replacement .

my replacement came in today but it had a locked bootloader , now i am confused
i definitely want to keep the unlocked bootloader one now that the moisture issue has disappeared , hope that it stays that way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_1170.JPG

Okay, so my friend had purchased a 32GB Metalic Grey and has the same issue. We're returning today.

What a pain in the ass it was to grab that pic...
    I have the oil slick problem, and I am about to get it sent of to be repaired (If Samsung will fix it), but they ask you to right down what the problem is on a piece of paper, and I really have no idea how to describe the problem in just a few sentences , as it is only intermittent oil slick problem, mainly when I go out side, or put the tab upside down it happens. The probelm is is that if they don't find anything wrong with it, I will have to pay £9 if I want to send it again, and as the problem isn't always there, I don't know if Samsung will fix it, as when they are looking at the tab, the oil slick might not be there. Does anyone have any idea how to describe the old slick problem that isn't there all the time but appeasers a lot and is getting worse in just a couple of sentences please. English may be my first language, but I am terrible at explaining things in a small amount of words, if anyone helps me I will pres your thanks button, and I thank you :)

Using "Newton Rings" seems to have instantly changed the thinking of many tech support "experts", from what I've read on the forum. I'd just state
    "Intermittent ocurrences of Newton Rings. Becoming more frequent with continued use."
    This would give then the idea they may or may not notice the issue themselves, then hopefully they will just replace the screen even if they don't see the issue themselves and problem solved, hopefully.
    Hope this helps you.
    Keep us updated.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app
    I had the same problem. I solved it (for the moment) by:
    -putting the tab on a flat table, screen facing upwards.
    -gently pressing down with two fingers at the top left and top right corners. As I was pressing I could see the spot getting smaller until it was completely gone.

3 days now with perfect screen.

Let's hope it lasts.
    I believe I had the same thing... Right in the middle it looked like if u would push a TV screen in. it had that kinda mark on mine. And on top of that I ordered the grey back and they gave me the white one... So I returned it

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App
    My friend bought it from the US for me and I am in Europe.
    Don't know whether I could could contact samsung Europe for a fix.

I'm in the same situation. As this is a factory manufacturing defect, and all of these global tablets are made over in the far east rather than in the US or Europe, and also as the repair does not require any market-specific components, I see no reason whatsoever why the repair of a manufacturing defect should not be honoured in the current country, rather than needing a return to country of purchase.

I did ask this question at the Samsung stand at a recent UK consumer electronics show, and the rep there told me it would be no problem, just take it back to a local Samsung service center.

However I don't know if Samsung's collective brains work so sensibly...

Andre