[GUIDE] All Tattoo questions and answers see here (from A to Z)!

Search This thread

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Hi,

this thread is meant as a starting point for every kind of questions. I will write everything I know into this thread and update it (hopefully) frequently ;)

Here are the topics handled for now (if you have any other questions you want to have answered you can PM me, so I can try to handle it if I know the solution and add this to my to do list in point 5!!! :D ):

1. How can I root my phone
1.1 General information/Basic adb-commands
1.2 Do I have to create a goldcard?
1.3 Tools you need
1.4 The automated way
1.5 The manual way (recommended by the author)
1.6 Problems and (hopefully good) solutions
1.7 References

2. Flashing images/ROMs
2.1 What is a recovery image
2.2 What is a boot image
2.3 How to flash/tools needed
2.3.1 Creating a Goldcard
2.4 Where can I get an overview of the existing ROMs?
2.5 Problems during flashing and solutions
2.6 References

3. Information about the Tattoo/Useful stuff
3.1 How to install busybox?
3.2 Can it perform multitouch?
3.3 How to increase battery life?
3.4 Using own ringtones for calls/sms
3.5 How to disable data transfer with a custom ROM?
3.6 How to make the Tattoo ring louder?
3.7 How to replace the home screen?
3.8 Disabling xxx-synchronisation with Google-servers
3.9 Backing up apk's and data to your PC
3.10 How to enable more languages on my mobile?
3.11 How to manually delete system apks? Alternatively with GUI?

4. Dev-Goodies
4.1 Modifying update.zips and resigning them
4.2 Modifying resources in apk-files and resigning them
4.3 Installing apks via adb for getting exact error codes if installation fails
4.4 Everything related to ROM cooking

5. Things I will do better in this thread due to user request

Please note: I won't be giving tutorials about Android-apps usage beside the one mentioned in my tutorial!

Let's start now:

1. How can I root my phone?

Rooting a phone enables you to do things, which normally aren't possible for the average user like:
- Removing apps which were preinstalled by the provider (like Orange, Vodafone, etc.). My Tattoo had Vodafone apps for buying music and other sh*t, which was installed on the system partition (to which a "normal" user has no rights to write to, including deleting).
The Tattoo was successfully rooted by a bunch of guys here, namely -bm-, mainfram3 and Coburn64 (maybe, I don't remember quite correctly :D). Also the Tattoo was the first phone having a security mechanism hindering a user to mount the filesystems as read/write, which had to be overridden by remapping the read only memory region to a read/write one. This is done by the module Tattoo-hack.ko, also made by mainfram3. He also created the first boot.img, which enabled su directly from adb and loading Tattoo-hack directly from boot on.

A few words about adb:
ADB is a tool for communicating from the PC with the mobile phone. For this a service is running on the phone enabling the communication via Terminal Emulator. Here are the most useful adb-commands:

Code:
adb push localFileFromPC /path/on/mobilephone
-> pushes a file "localFileFromPC" to a specified location on the phone
adb pull /path/to/file pathFromPC
-> receives a file from the phone and stores it to "pathFromPC"
adb remount
-> This is only possible in custom ROMs, remounts the file system to r/w automatically
adb shell "command"
-> executes "command" and returns to the computer shell
adb shell
-> opens a shell session on the phone (from here on you have to be very careful! Also you can execute now normal linux commands like rm, mv, ls, chmod and so on, but not cp (this can done through busybox)). You will have to use this more often, so get used to it ;)

I read this question quite often. For rooting, you don't need it, but for SIM-locked phones you can't flash custom unbranded ROMs (I think).

A guide to create a goldcard follow this link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5179788&postcount=1 (thanks to MiSSigNNo to this point)

1.3 Tools you need
A complete set of tools can be found here :) Feel free to mirror it:
http://rapidshare.com/files/403766494/Tattoo.rar.html

This package contains:
- adb binaries for Windows (sorry Linux users :( )
- su (Please note: use the su-binary attached in this post, not the one in the archive!!!!!)
- m7 exploit
- Amon_RA recovery.img
- mainfram3 boot.img
- flash_image binary
- tattoo-hack.ko

1.4 The automated way
This method was created by maverixx and can be found here. This basically consists of a package doing everything you need by itself. It roots the phone and flashes maverixx recovery.img, which (no offense) I don't like as much as I like Amon_RA's one!). Just click the batchfile and it does the rest (you have to connect your phone via USB to your PC though ;)).
If you want to use the automated way, but flashing Amon_RA's recovery, just replace the recovery.img from maverixx' package with the recovery.img provided in my archive file (see 1.3 for the link).

In my time here I noticed quite a few users experiencing problems either with a fully functional su or with the recovery image not flashing certain update.zip packages. It seems to be a matter of luck.

I personally like what is done when and how, that's why I recommend the manual way. So let's get down to business :) Let's see if you know all the adb-commands I wrote here:
1. Let's say you have everything unpacked into C:\Tattoo
2. In your terminal (on your PC) type:
- adb shell "mkdir /data/local/bin" (if it returns an error it means that the directory already exists, just proceed)
- adb push m7 /data/local/bin/
- adb push su /data/local/bin/
- adb push flash_image /data/local/bin/
- adb push tattoo-hack.ko /data/local/bin/
- adb push recovery.img /sdcard
- adb push boot.img /sdcard
3. We have every needed file on the phone now. Type now (we are still in your terminal):
- adb shell
$ cd /data/local/bin
$ chmod 766 m7 (I don't retain this step as mandatory, so if this process fails, just proceed)
$ while ./m7 ; do : ; done
lots of text until you see something like "wrote shell code", press enter 2 or 3 times enter to see:
#
4. Then perform this:
- # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/system/lib
- # export PATH=/system/bin
- # insmod ./tattoo-hack.ko
- # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5 /data
- # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
- # cat ./su > /system/bin/su
- # chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- # chmod 755 ./flash_image
Questions? :D

Q: How do I execute my command line tool?
A: On your Windows host, go to Start->Run...->type "cmd"

Q: Where is my adb? When I type it in my shell it says that it was not found!
A: The adb binary is found in the archive I supplied above or in the Google SDK. As my archive-file is quite smaller than the Google SDK you should take mine. Let's suppose your adb binary is unpacked in C:\Tattoo, then type:
Code:
Your\Current\Location> cd C:\Tattoo
C:\Tattoo> adb <command>
Q: adb says "error: device not found" when I try to launch the shell on the phone!
A: Connect the phone with the usb cable and make sure the sd card is not mounted as drive on your PC!!!

Q: When I want to copy something the phone returns that "cp" is not found! Also when I try to move a file, it says "cross-link device".
A: Well, copying from one partition to another is only possible either via busybox or via
Code:
cat file > /location/filename
Example:
cp /data/su /system/bin
is realized by typing
cat /data/su > /system/bin/su
Also make sure that system is r/w!!!

Q: flash_image returns write errors when flashing recovery/boot image!
A:
For boot: Try to redo the flash procedure
For recovery: Note that you can't flash the same recovery.img as the one already installed, so install another recovery.img first (like maverixx) and then Amon_RA's again. If it still doesn't work reboot, remount the partitions r/w, insmod tattoo-hack.ko and retry flashing.

Q: How can I unroot my device?
A: Just delete su from /system/xbin and restore the old boot.img. Alternatively see here for retrieving a stock ROM to flash it on your phone.

PM me with more questions and I'll post them with the possible solution.

1.7 References
- Zecanilis EXCELLENT Root-Recovery-Flash images thread
- maverixx' One-click root method+recovery thread
- Coburn64's Newbie guide for manual rooting (recommended reading!)

2. Flashing images/ROMs
A recovery image is not only useful to flash custom ROMs on your device. It also enables you to backup your entire phone contents to restore it completely in case of a brick, if anything should happen...especially SIM-locked mobiles should be backed up as soon as possible. ;) Also many recovery image modders add several non-standard features like mounting the SD card while in recovery mode or enabling adb support, etc.

2.2 What is a boot image
The boot image not only contains the kernel which brings up your Tattoos, it only can be modified to load up modules enabling ext2/3 support, loading camera, remapping read only code to an r/w area (tattoo-hack.ko), etc. Without a working boot.img, don't even bother trying to boot the phone (maybe if you do a logcat it returns something useful to solve this problem ;) )

Execute steps 1 to 4 in topic 1.5 first!
5. Now comes the hard part:
- # ./flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img
- # ./flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
it can be that flash_image reports errors in the last step (recovery.img step), but another user said it would be still working to boot to recovery...but to be sure (if you got the error!!!) flash maverixx recovery.img and then again the one I supplied in my archive (Amon_RA)

Reboot once and when you connect with adb to your phone you should see the difference ;)

This is a post I took from MiSSigNNo, kudos to him:
Creating the Gold Card:
[...]
4. We need the android-sdk tools, we can find them here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html download them, and unzip in a folder maybe in C:\androidtools

5. Go the the Command line (Start->Execute->write cmd and OK), and there you should find where you unzip the android-sdk tools, example cd c:\androidtools\tools

6. Run this command "adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid" if you had the microSD in the drive you will find a long number like:
532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402

7. Go to this page to reverse it: http://hexrev.soaa.me/ and copy the code reversed:
In our example it will be: 00544d5107943247039c7d22bd002653

8. Go to this page to generate your GoldCard image: http://revskills.de/pages/goldcard.html
And put your reversed number and you email. You will receive an email with a file called "goldcard.img"

9. Now you need an Hex editor like HXD. Download it from: http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Edi...html?tag=mncol

10. Exactly the same as the instructions I pasted above:

11. Install and launch HxD Hex Editor program. (make sure you use "Run as Administrator" under Vista and win 7)

12. Go to Extra tab > Open Disk. Under Physical disk, select Removable Disk (Must be your SD card), uncheck “Open as Readonly), click OK. (BEWARE, MUST BE UNDER PHYSICAL DISK NOT LOGICAL DISK, THIS MISTAKE MADE ME BIG PROBLEMS)

13. Go to Extra again, Open Disk Image, open up goldcard.img which you’ve saved/unzipped earlier.
Now, you should have two tabs, one is your removable disk, the other is goldcard.img. Press OK when prompted for “Sector Size” 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks), click OK.

14. Click on goldcard.img tab. Go to Edit tab > Select All, edit tab again > copy.

15. Click on the “removable disk” tab. Select offset (line) 00000000 till offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), click on Edit tab and then Paste Write.

16. Click on File > Save. now you can exit the program. You now have a gold card.
[...]

Look it up here (Excellent work liderzre)

Q: HEEEEELLLPPP! flash_image says that it couldn't write to some memory addresses! What can I do?
A: Don't panic. First make sure to have loaded tattoo-hack.ko, remounted system and data to r/w and then try again with another recovery.img (either maverixx or Amon_RA). Flashing the same recovery.img again WON'T WORK!!!! That's why you have to take a little detour by first flashing another recovery image.

Q: How do I boot to recovery??
A: Type in your command line while the phone is plugged in:
Code:
adb shell "reboot recovery"
. If this doesn't work, turn off your phone, hold down the home-button and press the power-button. Then when the Tattoo logo can be seen, release the home button and the recovery screen should be seen :)

2.6 References

Load the busybox binary here (select the one with arm6 at the end). Put this binary onto your data or system partition (I suggest /system/xbin) and now there are two ways to install/enable it. See below ;)

Method 1 (will extract EVERY FEATURE, but consumes A LOT of your disk space so be careful or switch to method 2)
Do this in your command line:
Code:
adb remount (make it r/w if not done already)
adb shell "mkdir /system/xbin" (create dir if it doesn't exist)
adb push busybox /system/xbin (please make sure to have busybox in the same directory as adb ;) )
adb shell
cd /system/xbin
./busybox --install
Method 2 (saves your precious disk space :D)
Do this in your command line
Code:
/system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin

Nope, the Tattoo has a resistive touch screen, which is known to be NON-multitouch...newer generation or high-end phones usually have capacitative screens. My suggestion is not taking the Nexus One anymore, since their touch screen type supports only 2 fingers at once, while phones like the Samsung Galaxy S have a SUPER responsiveness and sensibility (and of course 10 fingers support).

Okay, here are little tips how to increase battery life - mine holds 7 to 8 days and I surf, call ppl and sms almost every day:
1. Flash either fyodor 0.6.4.2 or Abyzou 2.1.9 - my favourite is fyodor ones (if I still would have a Tattoo, of course ;) )
2. Download APNd roid from the market or here and disable your 3G Internet connection (for activating it, just start the program again!)
3. If you see that you have NO RECEPTION AT ALL in one place (at work for instance), turn off your phone as this will DRASTICALLY decrease battery life because the phone tries constantly to search for a network it can log on to.
4. Try to keep your phone in normal temperature areas (between 20 and 27 degrees celsius = 68 - 80.6 degrees fahrenheit)
5. Kill unneeded apps automatically (there are quite a few apps doing this)

Create a folder called "media" on the root of your SD card and a sub-folder called "audio" there you have to create one folder called "notifications" for SMS and "ringtones" for call sounds. Place every desired track into these folders and reboot your phone. You should see the entries now when choosing ringtones. Alternatively just load "Ringo Pro", a really powerful tool also able to display SMS pop-ups and much more.

As already explained above, load APN droid from the market or here.

There is a little app called "Louder Volume Hack" enabling your phone to ring much louder than normally. You can load it on any popular w*rez-site ;) Unfortunately I cannot enter the link to the app here or PM it. Any questions requesting a link to this app will be deleted instantly, so don't bother trying and use Google. There are several buttons displayed, but for better visibility I suggest enabling the Widget and hacking the system there. Also please note that ROOT access is required!! Refer to section 1 to root your phone.

There are two ways to do it. Method 1 is the easier one, but runs the Google Launcher and the replacement laucher in parrallel, which implies more CPU usage and battery drain. Method 2 is the more brutal one, but enables you to run just one launcher.
Method 1:
Install the replacement home app and press the home button. A dialog should appear asking you which Home Launcher should be used.
Method 2:
Put your home replacement apk onto the root of your SD and make sure you have busybox installed and /system mounted as writeable. Rename the Home replacement apk to Launcher.apk and fire up adb shell:
Code:
mv /system/app/Launcher.apk /system/app/Launcher.apk.old && mv /system/app/Launcher.odex /system/app/Launcher.odex.old && cp /sdcard/Launcher.apk /system/app && chmod 755 /system/app/Launcher.apk
Should be a pretty generic approach ;)

Go to settings, data synchonisation and disable the entries you don't want to have synch'ed with Google. Since it's long time ago since I did this (remember that I don't own a Tattoo anymore) the procedure can be slightly different from ROM to ROM.

By popular request, here a topic about how to backup apk's and their corresponding data manually (can be done separately, too if you want just one of the two). Doing it with the tar command HOPEFULLY preserves also all permissions!!! Check it:
Hit up adb shell and make sure have busybox:
Code:
for the apks
# tar -cvf /sdcard/dataAppsBackup.tar /data/app
for the data
# tar -cvf /sdcard/dataDataBAckup.tar /data/data
If you want to decompress these files again do:
Code:
# tar -xvf /sdcard/dataAppsBackup.tar -C /data
# tar -xvf /sdcard/dataDataBackup.tar -C /data
Note that these files won't be compressed! If you want to save some disk space on your SD then add the parameter 'z' (without the quotes) in the tar arguments (e.g. tar -cvfz for compressing and tar -xvfz for decompressing)

There is an app called MoreLocale in the market enabling you to select more languages. Download it, it's free ;)

For deleting manually you only need root-access. With GUI you need RootExplorer (buy it or do what you need to do to get this app-but with these features I would suggest to buy the app ;) ).
Note: I do not take any responsibility if you delete the wrong apk and you lose any functionality of the phone. Do this only if you know what you're doing!
The manual way:
Connect the phone via USB, fire up adb shell and type:
Code:
insmod /LOCATION TO [URL="http://TATTOOHACK.KO/tattoo-hack.ko"]TATTOOHACK.KO/tattoo-hack.ko[/URL]
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/app
rm NAMEOFAPK.apk
The GUI way:
Install RootExplorer, open it, navigate to /system/app and press the little "Mount R/W" button at the top of the screen and begin deleting :)

4. Dev-Goodies
See this thread and get enlightened :)

Same procedure as above:
1. Extract the file with WinRAR/WinZIP, delete the contents of META-INF and start modifying what you have to modify
2. Pack everything again into a ZIP file and sign it with the signapk.jar file (can be found somewhere in the forum or here). The syntax of how to use this can be found in the last link (yes, it's only 10 KB :p).

Prerequisites: Either know the exact path to the apk or put it into the same directory as your adb executable and hit up your command line:
Code:
adb install /path/to/apk/file.apk
OR
adb install file.apk (implies that apk is located in same dir as adb)

Check this link (thanks to Decad3nce) and this one (thanks to mxlaser).

- Nothing :)

The end for now.

Attachments

• su.zip
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,020
Last edited:

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Note: If you think that my thread is good, then please rate it with 5 stars

Changelog:

Version 1.0
- Initial draft

Version 1.1
- Added complete topic 1 now
- Fixed layout and some typos

Version 2.0
- Added complete topic 2 and half of 3

Version 2.1
- First prototype with all topics finished (will rework parts which are not quite understandable)

Version 2.2
- Added new question to 1.6

Version 2.3
- Added section 4.4 -> Everything related to ROM Cooking DUDEEEESSSSS :D

Version 2.4
- Added 3.11 How to manually delete system apks? Alternatively with GUI?

Version 2.5
- attached working su file - thanks to lovenemesis for this :)

Version 2.6
- added some mirrors for the Tattoo.rar archive - thanks to emb0re for providing some space

Version 3
- added topic about creating gold cards (2.3.1)

Last edited:

lovenemesis

Nov 26, 2009
Leeds
Great work

Very intuitive guide for beginner.

Though as an experienced and new android application developer, it really took me a whole afternoon to understand every step of the whole process. I am sure this guide would save many others wonderful Saturday afternoon.

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Thanks for the feedback...I hope that I can fill many topics tomorrow :D

P.S.: Indeed this is meant for the many unexperienced users who desperately want to flash custom ROMs but don't know how to do it...this also spares a lot senseless thread-posts I hope...^^

lovenemesis

Nov 26, 2009
Leeds
3. We have every needed file on the phone now. Type now (we are still in your terminal):
- adb shell
$ cd /data/local/bin
lots of text until you see something like "wrote shell code", press enter 2 or 3 times enter to see:
#

For me I need to add execute permission for m7 before expolit, with
Code:
chmod 766 m7

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
SSj Man Can You Add Tutorial Abt How to get the Apk file which i download from market in my mobile. if that is possible

You mean getting the apk from your mobile on your PC for example?

For me I need to add execute permission for m7 before expolit, with
Code:
chmod 766 m7

Hm, normally when you push the file via adb it will have user permissions, which includes execution...but I will add it to exclude any possible error...thanks for the info.

lovenemesis

Nov 26, 2009
Leeds
It might be worth to mention this in 3.1 Busybox installation:

Code:
 adb push busybox /system/xbin/

I accidentallly use "adb push busybox /system/xbin" without the ending "/". Well, you know the rest part of the story...

lovenemesis

Nov 26, 2009
Leeds
Hmm, probably this one first, at least for the stock HTC ROM

Code:
adb shell "mkdir /system/xbin"

PS: Kind of weird for its name xbin, not the usual sbin on desktop linux. ;-)

lovenemesis

Nov 26, 2009
Leeds
You mean getting the apk from your mobile on your PC for example?

Hm, normally when you push the file via adb it will have user permissions, which includes execution...but I will add it to exclude any possible error...thanks for the info.

Maybe it's because I am using a Fedora box, which the default permission for files in $HOME does not include execution.

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Hmm, probably this one first, at least for the stock HTC ROM

Code:
adb shell "mkdir /system/xbin"
PS: Kind of weird for its name xbin, not the usual sbin on desktop linux. ;-)

You're right, I added it already in the guide, thanks for the feedback. Well, /system/xbin isn't a "normal" directory indeed, but it was created for extra executables which normally aren't shipped in stock ROMs (like busybox).

lovenemesis

Nov 26, 2009
Leeds
4. Then perform this:

I suppose after this step the stock ROM is rooted. Right?

But in Android Terminal Emulator gives me $ still. "su" reports an link_image error, which basically said about missing libbinder.so library.

Is it normal or I need to push an libbinder.so to /system/lib as well?

BTW: "adb shell " gives me # straightly.

Regards,

haree

Sep 13, 2008
CHENNAI
market not working

hi
i dont know why but the Market does not work for me can u give any solutions for the same im just not able to log in it keeps saying error i also tried with google mail and gmail id but no luck any suggestion pls :D

haree

Sep 13, 2008
CHENNAI
few questons kindly answer

hi
i have afew questions can u kindly answer

1. is wipe a must before flashing a new rom
i have flashed the Modoco rom and it was mentioned that this was not needed but i have read in many threads asking to do the same before flashing
2.to bring back contacts after flashing new rom can i use
a. backup pro or titanium backup
b. can i just use the out look sync and get back my contacts from my PC
3. if i restore the stock rom and latter on want to try one of the cooked roms do i need to do the rooting again ie does flashing stock rom remove the rooting

Note : i have been a WM user new to AM is why im asking such questions in the WM i have one app pim backup which would get back all my contacts in 1 min and when flashing any WM it will automatically wipe all the data from the phone this does not seem to be the case with AM is why i have asked above Questions

thanks in advance :D:D

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Oops, Titanium Backup still refuses to work despite of working "su" binary.

What else should I do?

Titanium Backup needs Busybox and su to work. If Titanium Backup tells you that it found BusyBox, then try to copy "su" to the following to locations:
/system/bin and /system/xbin

I think with the first it should work then.

hi
i dont know why but the Market does not work for me can u give any solutions for the same im just not able to log in it keeps saying error i also tried with google mail and gmail id but no luck any suggestion pls :D

Do you use MoDaCo ROM or did u switch now to another? Normally the phone asks for log-in credentials when going online. When you enter them correctly, the login window should disappear and you should be able to access market...I know this sounds stupid, but check if you entered you PW correctly!

hi
i have afew questions can u kindly answer

1. is wipe a must before flashing a new rom
i have flashed the Modoco rom and it was mentioned that this was not needed but i have read in many threads asking to do the same before flashing
2.to bring back contacts after flashing new rom can i use
a. backup pro or titanium backup
b. can i just use the out look sync and get back my contacts from my PC
3. if i restore the stock rom and latter on want to try one of the cooked roms do i need to do the rooting again ie does flashing stock rom remove the rooting

Note : i have been a WM user new to AM is why im asking such questions in the WM i have one app pim backup which would get back all my contacts in 1 min and when flashing any WM it will automatically wipe all the data from the phone this does not seem to be the case with AM is why i have asked above Questions

thanks in advance :D:D

1. As I told you via PM already: If the ROM is based on the same source ROM (HTC stock in your case) then a wipe is NOT required, but if you switch android version (AOSP, Vanilla, FroYo, Eclair) then you HAVE TO wipe.

a) I had only problems with Titanium backup concerning restoring contacts. I would suggest using MyBackup Pro
b) Well, if you can sync to outlook, then I suppose yes, but I really doubt that these features are implemented in custom ROMs...

3. Well, if you mean restoring the NAND-backup and then flashing another cooked ROM (which are all rooted by default ;) ), then no - you don't need to re-root. Only if you would flash the original/official HTC ROM which comes shipped as exe-file, but I don't see the sense in flashing this one...use your NAND-backups ;)

haree

Sep 13, 2008
CHENNAI
Titanium Backup needs Busybox and su to work. If Titanium Backup tells you that it found BusyBox, then try to copy "su" to the following to locations:
/system/bin and /system/xbin

I think with the first it should work then.

hi
thanks buddy for patiently answering all my Q
i got it now but i dont know why this Bl***dy market does not work what every i try ie when the net is on and ur browsing u see the E on ur phone screen and then the 2 white arrows flash this it self does not happen when i try to log in to market
just dont know what is wrong :confused::(:mad:
right now im using Modoco and happy with it seems to be real fast and everything is working on this ROM:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

this thread is meant as a starting point for every kind of questions. I will write everything I know into this thread and update it (hopefully) frequently ;)

Here are the topics handled for now (if you have any other questions you want to have answered you can PM me, so I can try to handle it if I know the solution and add this to my to do list in point 5!!! :D ):

1. How can I root my phone
    1.3 Tools you need
    1.4 The automated way
    1.7 References

2. Flashing images/ROMs
    2.2 What is a boot image
    2.6 References

4. Dev-Goodies

Please note: I won't be giving tutorials about Android-apps usage beside the one mentioned in my tutorial!

Let's start now:

1. How can I root my phone?

Rooting a phone enables you to do things, which normally aren't possible for the average user like:
    - Removing apps which were preinstalled by the provider (like Orange, Vodafone, etc.). My Tattoo had Vodafone apps for buying music and other sh*t, which was installed on the system partition (to which a "normal" user has no rights to write to, including deleting).
    The Tattoo was successfully rooted by a bunch of guys here, namely -bm-, mainfram3 and Coburn64 (maybe, I don't remember quite correctly :D). Also the Tattoo was the first phone having a security mechanism hindering a user to mount the filesystems as read/write, which had to be overridden by remapping the read only memory region to a read/write one. This is done by the module Tattoo-hack.ko, also made by mainfram3. He also created the first boot.img, which enabled su directly from adb and loading Tattoo-hack directly from boot on.

A few words about adb:
    ADB is a tool for communicating from the PC with the mobile phone. For this a service is running on the phone enabling the communication via Terminal Emulator. Here are the most useful adb-commands:

Code:
    adb push localFileFromPC /path/on/mobilephone
    -> pushes a file "localFileFromPC" to a specified location on the phone
    adb pull /path/to/file pathFromPC
    -> receives a file from the phone and stores it to "pathFromPC"
    adb remount
    -> This is only possible in custom ROMs, remounts the file system to r/w automatically
    adb shell "command"
    -> executes "command" and returns to the computer shell
    adb shell
    -> opens a shell session on the phone (from here on you have to be very careful! Also you can execute now normal linux commands like rm, mv, ls, chmod and so on, but not cp (this can done through busybox)). You will have to use this more often, so get used to it ;)

I read this question quite often. For rooting, you don't need it, but for SIM-locked phones you can't flash custom unbranded ROMs (I think).

A guide to create a goldcard follow this link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5179788&postcount=1 (thanks to MiSSigNNo to this point)

1.3 Tools you need
    A complete set of tools can be found here :) Feel free to mirror it:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/403766494/Tattoo.rar.html

This package contains:
    - adb binaries for Windows (sorry Linux users :( )
    - su (Please note: use the su-binary attached in this post, not the one in the archive!!!!!)
    - m7 exploit
    - Amon_RA recovery.img
    - mainfram3 boot.img
    - flash_image binary
    - tattoo-hack.ko

1.4 The automated way
    This method was created by maverixx and can be found here. This basically consists of a package doing everything you need by itself. It roots the phone and flashes maverixx recovery.img, which (no offense) I don't like as much as I like Amon_RA's one!). Just click the batchfile and it does the rest (you have to connect your phone via USB to your PC though ;)).
    If you want to use the automated way, but flashing Amon_RA's recovery, just replace the recovery.img from maverixx' package with the recovery.img provided in my archive file (see 1.3 for the link).

In my time here I noticed quite a few users experiencing problems either with a fully functional su or with the recovery image not flashing certain update.zip packages. It seems to be a matter of luck.

I personally like what is done when and how, that's why I recommend the manual way. So let's get down to business :) Let's see if you know all the adb-commands I wrote here:
    1. Let's say you have everything unpacked into C:\Tattoo
    2. In your terminal (on your PC) type:
    - adb shell "mkdir /data/local/bin" (if it returns an error it means that the directory already exists, just proceed)
    - adb push m7 /data/local/bin/
    - adb push su /data/local/bin/
    - adb push flash_image /data/local/bin/
    - adb push tattoo-hack.ko /data/local/bin/
    - adb push recovery.img /sdcard
    - adb push boot.img /sdcard
    - adb shell
    $ cd /data/local/bin
    $ chmod 766 m7 (I don't retain this step as mandatory, so if this process fails, just proceed)
    #
    4. Then perform this:
    - # chmod 755 ./flash_image
    Questions? :D

Q: How do I execute my command line tool?
    A: On your Windows host, go to Start->Run...->type "cmd"

Q: Where is my adb? When I type it in my shell it says that it was not found!
    A: The adb binary is found in the archive I supplied above or in the Google SDK. As my archive-file is quite smaller than the Google SDK you should take mine. Let's suppose your adb binary is unpacked in C:\Tattoo, then type:
    Code:
    Your\Current\Location> cd C:\Tattoo
    C:\Tattoo> adb <command>
    Q: adb says "error: device not found" when I try to launch the shell on the phone!
    A: Connect the phone with the usb cable and make sure the sd card is not mounted as drive on your PC!!!

Q: When I want to copy something the phone returns that "cp" is not found! Also when I try to move a file, it says "cross-link device".
    A: Well, copying from one partition to another is only possible either via busybox or via
    Code:
    cat file > /location/filename
    Example:
    cp /data/su /system/bin
    is realized by typing
    cat /data/su > /system/bin/su
    Also make sure that system is r/w!!!

Q: flash_image returns write errors when flashing recovery/boot image!
    A:
    For boot: Try to redo the flash procedure
    For recovery: Note that you can't flash the same recovery.img as the one already installed, so install another recovery.img first (like maverixx) and then Amon_RA's again. If it still doesn't work reboot, remount the partitions r/w, insmod tattoo-hack.ko and retry flashing.

Q: How can I unroot my device?
    A: Just delete su from /system/xbin and restore the old boot.img. Alternatively see here for retrieving a stock ROM to flash it on your phone.

PM me with more questions and I'll post them with the possible solution.

1.7 References
    - Coburn64's Newbie guide for manual rooting (recommended reading!)

2. Flashing images/ROMs
    A recovery image is not only useful to flash custom ROMs on your device. It also enables you to backup your entire phone contents to restore it completely in case of a brick, if anything should happen...especially SIM-locked mobiles should be backed up as soon as possible. ;) Also many recovery image modders add several non-standard features like mounting the SD card while in recovery mode or enabling adb support, etc.

2.2 What is a boot image
    The boot image not only contains the kernel which brings up your Tattoos, it only can be modified to load up modules enabling ext2/3 support, loading camera, remapping read only code to an r/w area (tattoo-hack.ko), etc. Without a working boot.img, don't even bother trying to boot the phone (maybe if you do a logcat it returns something useful to solve this problem ;) )

Execute steps 1 to 4 in topic 1.5 first!
    5. Now comes the hard part:
    - # ./flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img
    - # ./flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    it can be that flash_image reports errors in the last step (recovery.img step), but another user said it would be still working to boot to recovery...but to be sure (if you got the error!!!) flash maverixx recovery.img and then again the one I supplied in my archive (Amon_RA)

Reboot once and when you connect with adb to your phone you should see the difference ;)

This is a post I took from MiSSigNNo, kudos to him:
    Creating the Gold Card:
    [...]
    4. We need the android-sdk tools, we can find them here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html download them, and unzip in a folder maybe in C:\androidtools

5. Go the the Command line (Start->Execute->write cmd and OK), and there you should find where you unzip the android-sdk tools, example cd c:\androidtools\tools

6. Run this command "adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid" if you had the microSD in the drive you will find a long number like:
    532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402

7. Go to this page to reverse it: http://hexrev.soaa.me/ and copy the code reversed:
    In our example it will be: 00544d5107943247039c7d22bd002653

8. Go to this page to generate your GoldCard image: http://revskills.de/pages/goldcard.html
    And put your reversed number and you email. You will receive an email with a file called "goldcard.img"

9. Now you need an Hex editor like HXD. Download it from: http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Edi...html?tag=mncol

10. Exactly the same as the instructions I pasted above:

11. Install and launch HxD Hex Editor program. (make sure you use "Run as Administrator" under Vista and win 7)

12. Go to Extra tab > Open Disk. Under Physical disk, select Removable Disk (Must be your SD card), uncheck “Open as Readonly), click OK. (BEWARE, MUST BE UNDER PHYSICAL DISK NOT LOGICAL DISK, THIS MISTAKE MADE ME BIG PROBLEMS)

13. Go to Extra again, Open Disk Image, open up goldcard.img which you’ve saved/unzipped earlier.
    Now, you should have two tabs, one is your removable disk, the other is goldcard.img. Press OK when prompted for “Sector Size” 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks), click OK.

14. Click on goldcard.img tab. Go to Edit tab > Select All, edit tab again > copy.

15. Click on the “removable disk” tab. Select offset (line) 00000000 till offset (line) 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), click on Edit tab and then Paste Write.

16. Click on File > Save. now you can exit the program. You now have a gold card.
    [...]

Look it up here (Excellent work liderzre)

Q: HEEEEELLLPPP! flash_image says that it couldn't write to some memory addresses! What can I do?
    A: Don't panic. First make sure to have loaded tattoo-hack.ko, remounted system and data to r/w and then try again with another recovery.img (either maverixx or Amon_RA). Flashing the same recovery.img again WON'T WORK!!!! That's why you have to take a little detour by first flashing another recovery image.

Q: How do I boot to recovery??
    A: Type in your command line while the phone is plugged in:
    Code:
    adb shell "reboot recovery"
    . If this doesn't work, turn off your phone, hold down the home-button and press the power-button. Then when the Tattoo logo can be seen, release the home button and the recovery screen should be seen :)

2.6 References

Load the busybox binary here (select the one with arm6 at the end). Put this binary onto your data or system partition (I suggest /system/xbin) and now there are two ways to install/enable it. See below ;)

Method 1 (will extract EVERY FEATURE, but consumes A LOT of your disk space so be careful or switch to method 2)
    Do this in your command line:
    Code:
    adb remount (make it r/w if not done already)
    adb shell "mkdir /system/xbin" (create dir if it doesn't exist)
    adb push busybox /system/xbin (please make sure to have busybox in the same directory as adb ;) )
    adb shell
    cd /system/xbin
    ./busybox --install
    Method 2 (saves your precious disk space :D)
    Do this in your command line
    Code:
    /system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin

Nope, the Tattoo has a resistive touch screen, which is known to be NON-multitouch...newer generation or high-end phones usually have capacitative screens. My suggestion is not taking the Nexus One anymore, since their touch screen type supports only 2 fingers at once, while phones like the Samsung Galaxy S have a SUPER responsiveness and sensibility (and of course 10 fingers support).

Okay, here are little tips how to increase battery life - mine holds 7 to 8 days and I surf, call ppl and sms almost every day:
    1. Flash either fyodor 0.6.4.2 or Abyzou 2.1.9 - my favourite is fyodor ones (if I still would have a Tattoo, of course ;) )
    2. Download APNd roid from the market or here and disable your 3G Internet connection (for activating it, just start the program again!)
    3. If you see that you have NO RECEPTION AT ALL in one place (at work for instance), turn off your phone as this will DRASTICALLY decrease battery life because the phone tries constantly to search for a network it can log on to.
    4. Try to keep your phone in normal temperature areas (between 20 and 27 degrees celsius = 68 - 80.6 degrees fahrenheit)
    5. Kill unneeded apps automatically (there are quite a few apps doing this)

Create a folder called "media" on the root of your SD card and a sub-folder called "audio" there you have to create one folder called "notifications" for SMS and "ringtones" for call sounds. Place every desired track into these folders and reboot your phone. You should see the entries now when choosing ringtones. Alternatively just load "Ringo Pro", a really powerful tool also able to display SMS pop-ups and much more.

As already explained above, load APN droid from the market or here.

There is a little app called "Louder Volume Hack" enabling your phone to ring much louder than normally. You can load it on any popular w*rez-site ;) Unfortunately I cannot enter the link to the app here or PM it. Any questions requesting a link to this app will be deleted instantly, so don't bother trying and use Google. There are several buttons displayed, but for better visibility I suggest enabling the Widget and hacking the system there. Also please note that ROOT access is required!! Refer to section 1 to root your phone.

There are two ways to do it. Method 1 is the easier one, but runs the Google Launcher and the replacement laucher in parrallel, which implies more CPU usage and battery drain. Method 2 is the more brutal one, but enables you to run just one launcher.
    Method 1:
    Install the replacement home app and press the home button. A dialog should appear asking you which Home Launcher should be used.
    Method 2:
    Put your home replacement apk onto the root of your SD and make sure you have busybox installed and /system mounted as writeable. Rename the Home replacement apk to Launcher.apk and fire up adb shell:
    Code:
    mv /system/app/Launcher.apk /system/app/Launcher.apk.old && mv /system/app/Launcher.odex /system/app/Launcher.odex.old && cp /sdcard/Launcher.apk /system/app && chmod 755 /system/app/Launcher.apk
    Should be a pretty generic approach ;)

Go to settings, data synchonisation and disable the entries you don't want to have synch'ed with Google. Since it's long time ago since I did this (remember that I don't own a Tattoo anymore) the procedure can be slightly different from ROM to ROM.

By popular request, here a topic about how to backup apk's and their corresponding data manually (can be done separately, too if you want just one of the two). Doing it with the tar command HOPEFULLY preserves also all permissions!!! Check it:
    Hit up adb shell and make sure have busybox:
    Code:
    for the apks
    # tar -cvf /sdcard/dataAppsBackup.tar /data/app
    for the data
    # tar -cvf /sdcard/dataDataBAckup.tar /data/data
    If you want to decompress these files again do:
    Code:
    # tar -xvf /sdcard/dataAppsBackup.tar -C /data
    # tar -xvf /sdcard/dataDataBackup.tar -C /data
    Note that these files won't be compressed! If you want to save some disk space on your SD then add the parameter 'z' (without the quotes) in the tar arguments (e.g. tar -cvfz for compressing and tar -xvfz for decompressing)

There is an app called MoreLocale in the market enabling you to select more languages. Download it, it's free ;)

For deleting manually you only need root-access. With GUI you need RootExplorer (buy it or do what you need to do to get this app-but with these features I would suggest to buy the app ;) ).
    Note: I do not take any responsibility if you delete the wrong apk and you lose any functionality of the phone. Do this only if you know what you're doing!
    The manual way:
    Connect the phone via USB, fire up adb shell and type:
    Code:
    insmod /LOCATION TO [URL="http://TATTOOHACK.KO/tattoo-hack.ko"]TATTOOHACK.KO/tattoo-hack.ko[/URL]
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /system/app
    rm NAMEOFAPK.apk
    The GUI way:
    Install RootExplorer, open it, navigate to /system/app and press the little "Mount R/W" button at the top of the screen and begin deleting :)

4. Dev-Goodies
    See this thread and get enlightened :)

Same procedure as above:
    1. Extract the file with WinRAR/WinZIP, delete the contents of META-INF and start modifying what you have to modify
    2. Pack everything again into a ZIP file and sign it with the signapk.jar file (can be found somewhere in the forum or here). The syntax of how to use this can be found in the last link (yes, it's only 10 KB :p).

Prerequisites: Either know the exact path to the apk or put it into the same directory as your adb executable and hit up your command line:
    Code:
    adb install /path/to/apk/file.apk
    OR
    adb install file.apk (implies that apk is located in same dir as adb)

Check this link (thanks to Decad3nce) and this one (thanks to mxlaser).

- Nothing :)

The end for now.
    hi now i think i manage to go to the last step, but error again, as below

# /data/local/bin.dir/flash_image recovery /data/local/bin.dir/recovery.img
    /data/local/bin.dir/flash_image recovery /data/local/bin.dir/recovery.img
    flashing recovery from /data/local/bin.dir/recovery.img
    mtd: erase failure at 0x00000000 (Input/output error)
    mtd: erase failure at 0x00000000 (Input/output error)
    mtd: erase failure at 0x004e0000 (Input/output error)
    mtd: erase failure at 0x004e0000 (Input/output error)
    mtd: skipping write block at 0x004e0000
    error writing recovery: No space left on device
    #

anyone can help?

Seems you forgot to insmod tattoo-hack.ko or it didn't get insmodded...
    Dude, there are also 1.6 ROMS based on AOSP where camera AND Bluetooth are working :)
    Just search for fyodor's ROM (I think it was 0.6.x.x version). In liderze's thread about all ROMS there should be a link to it :) And you are correct - rooting and flashing a custom recovery is required.
    There are 2 options now:
    1. You have chosen a ROM which was built incorrectly (maybe), this means it has no information on WHAT to update on your tattoo, but this is unlinkely if you have chosen a ROM which is presented here...

2. IMHO you should change recovery system and voila: the magic of flashing ROMs happens again then :) Amon_RA? Maverixx? ;)
    I'm using clockwork recovery.....

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using XDA App

Use Amon_Ra !!! ;) That clockwork doesn´t work good with tattoo (have tried)!