[ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Preview & Nightly Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

Search This thread

bpsears90

Sep 20, 2012
Waukegan
Re: [ROM][OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 Preview Builds for Samsung Epic 4G

I was under the impression that the cmupdater was so we didn't have to manually do anything to jump to the new nightlies. If that wasn't the intention, then in my opinion it was pointless. I can download the file on my computer and transfer it much faster than what my phone does, which if I'm gonna have to wipe things to get it to work properly y not just do that? The last time I flashed from 1 nightly to another I had to wipe cache, then dalvik, and I format system. Then of course flash gapps after the rom. Flashing the gapps is what gets me. With CM10 I jumped back and forth between what I wanted when I wanted and never had any issues including battery life loss or anything. If the cmupdater was not made to make things easy like that then ill try to have a little more patience.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

Sesquipedalian

Apr 23, 2007
Nashville, TN
I was under the impression that the cmupdater was so we didn't have to manually do anything to jump to the new nightlies.

I think that was the point. I typically just do a dirty flash and rarely have problems with the updates. You also have to think about a lot of users who may not be savvy enough to do it manually. Say I installed CM on my mom's phone. If there's a milestone or stable update, it should prompt her to install it no fuss. Everything is great unless she has a problem, then I can step in and manually work on it. I think most of the time dirty flashing works well enough that the update is the easiest route. I use it every few days and can't remember ever having a problem.

Random question, anyone considering going for Galaxy S4 and any developers plan to support it?

If someone comes out with a "pro" keyboard version like the did with the S in the form of the Epic: In a heartbeat. I doubt that will happen, though. Which is sad. I think there's definitely a (profitable) niche market for the hardware keyboard, and no other phone is offering it right now. If anyone did, everyone like me (and probably most people in the Epic forums) would jump on it instantly.

The other condition I'd upgrade is if an accessory manufacturer came out with a good-quality slider keyboard case. There are several for the iPhone, and given the popularity of the Galaxy S, I am hoping someone will see the opportunity for profit. It might suck to have to leave bluetooth on all the time, but in my little fantasy, such a case would somehow include an extended battery (if such a thing is even needed with 2600 mAh stock.)

wakkigy

Feb 10, 2010
Did you try CyanDelta app which will only download the delta changes, apply to your base CM 10.1 nightly and even does auto install.

I've been doing that for the nightlies and haven't had any issue with data wipe.

Reactions: aoaleman

propjockey

Jan 1, 2012

I was under the impression that the cmupdater was so we didn't have to manually do anything to jump to the new nightlies. If that wasn't the intention, then in my opinion it was pointless. I can download the file on my computer and transfer it much faster than what my phone does, which if I'm gonna have to wipe things to get it to work properly y not just do that? The last time I flashed from 1 nightly to another I had to wipe cache, then dalvik, and I format system. Then of course flash gapps after the rom. Flashing the gapps is what gets me. With CM10 I jumped back and forth between what I wanted when I wanted and never had any issues including battery life loss or anything. If the cmupdater was not made to make things easy like that then ill try to have a little more patience.

You're correct. CM updater is there to make things easier. It flashes the rom and wipes the caches as part of the process. That's all that should be needed. The CM install script effectively plucks gapps out, wipes system, and puts the gapps back. But sometimes, remnants are left behind that could result in conflicts/FC's. That's why wiping system is a failsafe way to guarantee a clean system install. You shouldn't have to do it, but it is easy enough to do.

Data could become corrupt, but as flast said, is a slight chance. It's also possible that some personal system setting data related to an older/different version of a ROM is conflicting with a change to the build.

Battery life is both the increased draw by the advanced OS were running and often the age of our batteries. I've had massive drops after reboot on ROMs back to SFR 2.2. It happens, and usually isn't a cronic problem. But YMMV

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

I got a bit thrown off for CM10.1 when they hid the developer menu and the cmupdater would autoinstall without gapps or pausing in recovery. But was happy to find that tap About Phone Build 7times to restore developer options so I can reboot into recovery without the awkward hold 3 buttons method each time, lol.

CM didn't hide Dev options, I believe that was Google.
See my previous post regarding what the updater does. CM doesnt come with gapps and doesn't wipe gapps.

Edit:

I just used CM updater to flash today's nightly. It rebooted with no gapps. Either there is some major intentional change that has happened or unintentionally the updater script is not preserving the gapps. Bummer. I have to top off the battery, then I will try doing things the old fashioned way in clockwork. I'm sure that will work fine.

Last edited:
I think that was the point. I typically just do a dirty flash and rarely have problems with the updates. You also have to think about a lot of users who may not be savvy enough to do it manually. Say I installed CM on my mom's phone. If there's a milestone or stable update, it should prompt her to install it no fuss. Everything is great unless she has a problem, then I can step in and manually work on it. I think most of the time dirty flashing works well enough that the update is the easiest route. I use it every few days and can't remember ever having a problem.

If someone comes out with a "pro" keyboard version like the did with the S in the form of the Epic: In a heartbeat. I doubt that will happen, though. Which is sad. I think there's definitely a (profitable) niche market for the hardware keyboard, and no other phone is offering it right now. If anyone did, everyone like me (and probably most people in the Epic forums) would jump on it instantly.

The other condition I'd upgrade is if an accessory manufacturer came out with a good-quality slider keyboard case. There are several for the iPhone, and given the popularity of the Galaxy S, I am hoping someone will see the opportunity for profit. It might suck to have to leave bluetooth on all the time, but in my little fantasy, such a case would somehow include an extended battery (if such a thing is even needed with 2600 mAh stock.)

I couldn't agree more about the keyboard. While swype is decent (even the swype-alternative built into jelly bean), as soon as I have to type my password I need my keyboard or spend 4x the time typing it on screen. I was hoping for a keyboard case too because I have seen them on iphones (See one here on Amazon). I heard from one sprint store that one reason they aren't making them as often is because the sliding mechanism tends to break over time and isn't as reliable, but I dunno.. my keyboard used nearly everyday for 2.5 years and still perfect.
If I was a parts manufacturer I'd make a magnetically attached one. Battery itself can be quite magnetic, and it would be an easy way to attach and detach. I've become more fascinated with car mounts that mount magnetically lately.
However I think I'm going to go with S4 cause there's other ways if u need to type fast. WifiKeyboard lets u use computer keyboard to type quickly on ur phone. Bluetooth keyboards like Logitechs.. but the tough one is just having the all-in-one solution. You could grab a smart docking station and hook up usb keyboard, usb mouse, and a terabyte external storage at the same time, I find that geeky but cool. That new game controller (wii+xbox360 controller child) makes you wonder if they have a qwerty version of it.
This is highly worth considering because it's keyboard and gaming controller and designed to work on everything. iControlpad

Did you try CyanDelta app which will only download the delta changes, apply to your base CM 10.1 nightly and even does auto install.

I've been doing that for the nightlies and haven't had any issue with data wipe.

Brilliant, I'm going to try it out asap.

bpsears90

Sep 20, 2012
Waukegan

Hopefully the cmupdater is fixed and we won't have to flash gapps manually. Going through the process of syncing ur gmail account with the phone every couple of days or so is just a little annoying

mordant23

Sep 13, 2010

ROM Toolbox backups your account info. No need to go through the whole Google set up after flashing gapps.

propjockey

Jan 1, 2012

Does the lite version backup account info or is it the paid version?

In theory, if we didn't wipe data, the Google one time setup shouldn't even show up. Something has gone pear shaped or CM had to make a move to appease Google. But usually, I find out about big CM changes on G+ a night before the change happens. So, I'm guessing this was unintentional.

DynamicN

Jan 8, 2013
Reno
In theory, if we didn't wipe data, the Google one time setup shouldn't even show up. Something has gone pear shaped or CM had to make a move to appease Google. But usually, I find out about big CM changes on G+ a night before the change happens. So, I'm guessing this was unintentional.

Makes sense. So if you have inside information, I hope the m3 is going to drop soon:fingers-crossed:

propjockey

Jan 1, 2012

Makes sense. So if you have inside information, I hope the m3 is going to drop soon:fingers-crossed:

I don't know anything special, I just follow CyanogenMod on G+. They usually make announcements there on a very timely basis. I would suggest that any nightly flasher add them to their circles. It's because of G+ that I knew about the advanced reboot menu, trebuchet changes, the clock data thing, etc... Before it happened.

Side note: does anybody else find the new clockwork recovery to be kinda laggy? It sits art it's splash screen for a much longer time, then it seems generally slower. I did a nandroid, and nothing seems wrong. Just an observation. Also, I wonder what the new option of releasing backup data (something along those lines) does.

Last edited:
Reactions: DynamicN

DynamicN

Jan 8, 2013
Reno
I don't know anything special, I just follow CyanogenMod on G+. They usually make announcements there on a very timely basis. I would suggest that any nightly flasher add them to their circles. It's because of G+ that I knew about the advanced reboot menu, trebuchet changes, the clock data thing, etc... Before it happened.

Thank you for the info.

AuGmENTor

Apr 17, 2012
Marlboro NY

Side note: does anybody else find the new clockwork recovery to be kinda laggy? It sits art it's splash screen for a much longer time, then it seems generally slower. I did a nandroid, and nothing seems wrong. Just an observation. Also, I wonder what the new option of releasing backup data (something along those lines) does.

How do you update that? I think I am running the version from a year ago.

mordant23

Sep 13, 2010

Does the lite version backup account info or is it the paid version?

I don't know. JRummy made major changes including the account updater after I paid for the pro version. Try the lite version and see. It would be under App Manager in the application.

Reactions: DynamicN

AuGmENTor

Apr 17, 2012
Marlboro NY
No one with a car/desk dock?

I have a car dock, but I use bluetooth to connect to my car stereo, not dock audio. But once upon a time it did work when bluetooth didn't have th kinks out of it. In fact when CM10 wasn't even in nightlies yet. Huh, so thinking about it maybe I never used it with 10.1.
Sorry I'm not more help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 10.1 is a free, community built distribution of Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

This is a preview build of CM10.1 for the Samsung Epic 4G. It may cause all the things in the disclaimer to happen, or steal your girlfriend while you are busy flashing ROMs.

Please submit a patch to our Gerrit instance if you want to help out.

WARNING: If you are not already on an official CM10 or CM10.1 build, this will wipe your data due to a resizing of the mtd partitions. If you wish to go back to another ROM, you will need to ODIN back to stock. Currently, the partition sizes are the same between CM10 and CM10.1

Recommended steps before you install:
    1. Install AppBak from Market, run it and save a list of all your apps.
    2. Install SMS Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your SMS history.
    3. Install Call Logs Backup and Restore from Market, run it and backup your call log history.
    4. Boot into CWM recovery. Make a full Backup. You will need this backup later if you decide to go back to your previous ROM and data.
    5. It is recommended that you wipe data before installing CM10.1 for the first time.

Additional Disclaimer:
    Any bug reports coming from an Unofficial CM10.1 build, or a modified/patched Official CM10.1 build (modem patch, kernels, etc.) should be directed to the originating thread. It is hard enough to provide bug support for the official releases without having to worry about bugs that may have been introduced by outside means. Bug reports are very welcome if you can reproduce them after flashing back to an official, stock build. We do want to be able to fix all the things. Thank you.

Nightly Install Instructions:
    1. Download from get.cm. Pay attention to the filenames. Don't grab a CM9 or CM10 build by mistake!
    2. Reboot into recovery and install.

Nightly Changelog: http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#epicmtd/cm10.1/next

**Google Apps are not included in these ROMs. You'll need to install those yourself if you want them. Recommended and highly suggested are the 4.2.1 gapps from goo.im. Any other versions could result in problems.

Known Issues:

- Bluetooth still needs some work. Things work (audio, tethering, file transfers) although they might not work every time. Also, there is a chance that it will get stuck "Turning bluetooth off..." when you attempt to, well, turn bluetooth off. If this happens, your best bet is to reboot your phone before the system bogs down due to logcat spam.

- Wired headset mic & buttons.

Previous preview Builds - Jellybean 4.2.1
    **Do not report bug to the bug tracker if you are using this build.**

cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20130120-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20130101-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20121221-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    cm-10.1-20121213-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip md5: a725db4df65a6229f7c5d69e33907756
    New Build, Jellybean 4.4.2

Here you are, a fresh build with the new Jellybean 4.2.2. That said, I don't know if there are any new bugs introduced by the new code changes.

- I have been using my BT headset for a few hours, doing my best to make it fail. So far it has been running very well, although I'm not going to declare it fixed yet. It's still early and I might just be getting lucky.

- I am not yet aware of any new gapps, so keep using the 4.2.1 gapps from goo. I did a dirty flash over my previous 4.2.1 build and haven't noticed any issues yet. YMMV.

Download cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip

New Build

New build. I accidentally missed the M1 build, but this should be pretty close. Nightlies should be in the somewhat near future.

No promises but check this build for any improvement in BT. It includes a test patch (more than just the upstream BT merges). The issues seem to still exist, but I've been having somewhat better luck.. with some things.

It could be a coincidence but here are some observations:
    Pro:
    - Better chance that BT will turn off and back on again.
    - Better chance that the device will connect each time.
    -- When the device doesn't connect, turning BT off/on will allow it to connect (maybe a couple times as necessary).

Con:
    - When using Apollo: If I let an album get to the end and stop audio on it's own, BT audio seems to stop working when beginning a new album. Needs more testing but it's happened more than once. Reboot will usually fix it. Maybe I need to stop letting the album end on its own :p I also need to test other music apps for similar behavior to rule out an Apollo bug.
    - Maybe more, but I forget for now. Let me know if anything is better.

cm-10.1-20130120-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    New Preview Build.

Still just some upstream updates:

- This has the new version of the lockscreen/homescreen clock/calendar/weather widget (You may recognize it from CM10)
    - Probably more... poke around :)

I know it's a couple days old already, things have still been a little crazy as the holidays wrap up.

Download cm-10.1-20130101-EXPERIMENTAL-epicmtd.zip
    The cm-10.1.3 stable build has a flaw with the hardware keyboard arrow keys. Flash the zip in this post to fix it.