[Tech Demo] Gingerbread for Captivate Build-4 (experimental)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
This is not a support or bug reporting thread!

My Goal:
To provide a single flashable zip with the most up-to-date Gingerbread porting efforts for the captivate!

The current Kernel/initramfs is newer then what is posted by supercurio in the i9k section.

Fixes, Tweaks & Extras:
External sd device support (kernel level)
Fully Deodexed
Fixed boot garbage output
Addded Updated Market
Fixed Market crash
Dual Boot Support
Added sqlite3
Added 3 Button Fix
Added Ad Blocking
Fixed the build.prop fingerprint so you can see all apps in the market
Fixed root not working
Fixed Busybox symlinks

Known Issues:
Camera does not work
GPS does not work (network can still find you, good for general location)
Wifi (if left on while phone enters sleep will cause a kernel panic)
General Stability (random things at random times can cause FC's, soft reboots, etc...)

Prerequisites:
Anything that converts /data to ext4 (Voodoo, ULF, etc...)

Usb drivers:
Download

Tech Demo Download Build-4:
Download

Credits:
supercurio
coolya
codeworkx
renaud
cpasjuste
Unhelpful
jt1134
pawitp
trasig
ajerman
xcaliburinhand
fenfir
DemonWav
Sombionix

Last edited:

JamieD81

Nov 11, 2009
Duncan
cant wait to try this!!! been waiting for an easier way!!!

Edit:
pretty unstable still, tried a couple diff modems same problem hard to get connection, and pressing power button to turn screen off just reboots my phone everytime.

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

Jul 23, 2010
Is this going to be any different than flashing the normal way?

Sent from my Captivate.

bowtieguy

Jun 22, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Merry CHRISTmas!!!

Hopefully this will be ready for download when I get home from work.

Sully

PS. DG, if you want some extra mirror space check the download speed for Axura in my sig. Shoot me a PM if you would like me to set you up a FTP account with a couple gig of storage.

smokestack76

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 18, 2008
Clinton Indiana
My wife is going to kill me :)

Daughter just turned one, first real Christmas with the family, she is going to be so spoiled... pretty sure the present stack is bigger then the damn tree XD

Awsome man. My youngest is 13 now. They only want money now lol. Im the only one awake so im safe for now :)

Seems like i use now alot lol. Anyhow thanks for this present DG.

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Awsome man. My youngest is 13 now. They only want money now lol. Im the only one awake so im safe for now :)

Seems like i use now alot lol. Anyhow thanks for this present DG.

haha, *hides all of his money*

It will be up soon, then I will be camping the fire place with my shotgun!

edit--

woops, I mean going to bed!

edit2--

Its live!

Last edited:

Dlev7

Nov 14, 2010
EXTREMELY EXCITED.

Have been waiting for this!

So all I need to do please correct me if Im wrong is flash any other ROM such as Perecption or Cognition ect. Or just install the latest Voodoo Lag Fix. Then just flash this also on top of that through Clockwork?

Thanks and PLEASE correct me if im wrong here.

whirly

Sep 1, 2010
EXTREMELY EXCITED.

Have been waiting for this!

So all I need to do please correct me if Im wrong is flash any other ROM such as Perecption or Cognition ect. Or just install the latest Voodoo Lag Fix. Then just flash this also on top of that through Clockwork?

Thanks and PLEASE correct me if im wrong here.

Personally if i were you i would wait for a more stable release, theres has been vast improvements in the kernel up till now but its still not ready for day to day use for everyone, plus if your unsure how to install it then you probably shouldn't ! But if you must :D, the method i used was flashed back to stock, gsm reset (code=*2767*3855#) which wipes all your memory, then flash darkys rom v7 and enable voodoo after phone boots and reboot it, then flash the gb kernel through clockwork recovery.... also i had to reboot the phone after installing the kernel to get 3g working...good luck

cnewsgrp

Mar 22, 2008
My wife is going to kill me :)

Daughter just turned one, first real Christmas with the family, she is going to be so spoiled... pretty sure the present stack is bigger then the damn tree XD

Consumers of ROMS sometimes forget that devs have family too.

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes to you and your family. Wish the same to all the devs.:):)

Cheers!!

bambamboom

Dec 2, 2010
woot woot. finally a method i could do!! this does leave me some questions though.

is it possible to just flash to stock 2.2 (instead of a custom rom), install voodoo5, and than install the zip through rom manager?

http://project-voodoo.org/download
the voodoo stable 5.0, is that for the captivate? just making sure, dont want to download something thats for the i9000.

and lastly! if anything goes wrong, flashing one click odin will solve everything correct? all the changes (aka the eff ups) i made should return to stock settings?

sooo excited!!

edit. to eleborate on my voodoo worries.
will reflashing with odin to stock, change my kernal back to the stock one or will it keep voodoo? just wondering because i was wondering if its required that i disable (or uninstall) voodoo before i use odin to restore or could i just use odin after testing the rom out without any disabling/enabling.

edit 2:
shoot forgot to ask, what are the usb files for? im gut tells me their the files needed for the comp to recognize the captivate after flashing. and second, does this require a root? and this is the LOL question, could i just rename the 2.3 file a "update.zip" and install it like that or do i have to do the whole clockwork thing. Six question. geez im dumb.

Merry Xmas!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My Goal:
    To provide a single flashable zip with the most up-to-date Gingerbread porting efforts for the captivate!

The current Kernel/initramfs is newer then what is posted by supercurio in the i9k section.

Fixes, Tweaks & Extras:
    External sd device support (kernel level)
    Fully Deodexed
    Fixed boot garbage output
    Addded Updated Market
    Fixed Market crash
    Dual Boot Support
    Added sqlite3
    Added 3 Button Fix
    Added Ad Blocking
    Fixed the build.prop fingerprint so you can see all apps in the market
    Fixed root not working
    Fixed Busybox symlinks

Known Issues:
    Camera does not work
    GPS does not work (network can still find you, good for general location)
    Wifi (if left on while phone enters sleep will cause a kernel panic)
    General Stability (random things at random times can cause FC's, soft reboots, etc...)

Prerequisites:
    Anything that converts /data to ext4 (Voodoo, ULF, etc...)

Usb drivers:
    Download

Tech Demo Download Build-4:
    Download

Credits:
    supercurio
    coolya
    codeworkx
    renaud
    cpasjuste
    Unhelpful
    jt1134
    pawitp
    trasig
    ajerman
    xcaliburinhand
    fenfir
    DemonWav
    Sombionix

Hey designgears

It's happy holidays, what about all the Jehovah's witnesses :p.

They are more then welcome to chime in their version as well!
    So am I understanding this right that development is no longer being worked on this?

Where do you guys get your info!?

Very unreliable source ;)
    Man this rom is awesome. Can't wait till DG fixes camera and random reboots.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

I have nothing against DesignGears, please note that.

DG will not be fixing anything on this port/ROM. You need to understand that this entire Gingerbread port are headed by supercurio and codeworkx. They are laying the groundwork for the i9000. xcaliburinhand's fantastic (I can't stress enough how important his work is to our community!! Thanks man!) kernel work is the ONLY reason we are able to "share the love" for GB with the i9000 users.

The fixes are still needing to be made in the mainline...meaning that the i9000 has the same problems. Once supercurio and codeworkx fix those issues on the i9000, you will see that they are "fixed" for our version.

DG is ONLY making the delivery system better and faster. Please don't pester DG with "hoping he'll fix the GPS" or "hoping he'll fix the camera"....because he's not working on it! If he is, then he's working with supercurio or codeworkx. All three of these folks are not shy to post where they are at on their twitter pages. I highly recommend watching their posts on twitter, which will keep people from asking for ETAs :).

Thanks DG for packaging this all up for the Captivate users who are not so ADB-inclined.

I'll echo DG when i say this is NOT a support thread. As a matter of fact, there is zero support for this build, because its not done yet!

You can't expect a home-builder to be answer questions about "is the house truly level", "is this a good neighborhood to build a home in" and then expect him to finish his work in a timely manner.

Just think. Every question you ask to devs, even if they don't answer, holds up progress for a few minutes. Keep that in mind when you ask a question. "Is it really that important? Did they mention that they KNOW this problem exists? Did they even ask me to report bugs to them?" If not. Then write it down on a notepad at your house...and wait until its built. If its fixed then AWESOME! :). If not, then bring it to their attention. Also..."built" = "Final"...not "BETA" or "ALPHA"...

K. I'm getting off the soapbox now. Just been watching this for FAR too long and i'm getting sick of this. I've been wanting to start dev'ing...and the lack of understanding of this community is what is keeping me from doing it.

EDIT: KingShady....I apologize in advance if this seems to point at you directly. This is not the case. You are just well-wishing :). Just laying this out to spear-head further questions to DG and other devs.
    </soapbox>

Thanks,
    -h8