DroidSansFallback.ttf + Softbank Emoji font

Search This thread

qtotter

Mar 13, 2006
Tokyo
i don't think this is useful for most of the people here, but I have inserted softbank emoji font data into the original DroidSansFallback.ttf so that desire users with softbank can view chinese/korean texts and emoji at the same time. Please find the attached.

i also created a user dictionary for simeji. copy the dic into /sdcard/Shimeji, load it as a user dic, and use "、", "。", "?", "!" (double-bite!!) to type emoji with simeji. simeji seems to have a limitation in the number of phrase entries, and i had to devide all emoji for those 4 double-bite letters as above, which seems more logical, in a sense, for daily use.

FYI, the emoji font data is originated from here, http://cova.sakura.ne.jp/sb/ i tried to contact the person who created the outline data, but he doesn't seem to check his blog for a long time and his email address is dead...

Attachments

• simeji_user_dic.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 13,280
  • DroidSansFallback.7z
    1.2 MB · Views: 27,493
Last edited:
Reactions: Kengo On

MaTiCeK-

Apr 23, 2010
Will this make my desire recognize iPhone emoji?

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

qtotter

Mar 13, 2006
Tokyo
Will this make my desire recognize iPhone emoji?

i can see sms with emoji sent from my friend's iphone on my desire, of course in b/w, not in colors.

if your desire is rooted, just replace the original DroidSansFallback.ttf in /system/fonts by this one above. i did not change the original font other than adding the emoji data to it. it should not harm any other language capability. the emoji data is scalable and not in bmp, and looks really cool.

Last edited:

MaTiCeK-

Apr 23, 2010
Also the emoji in them? Are they matched correctly, at least having a similar meaning?

As far as I know emoji isn't really asl standard, so I'm a bit concerned.

qtotter

Mar 13, 2006
Tokyo
Also the emoji in them? Are they matched correctly, at least having a similar meaning?

As far as I know emoji isn't really asl standard, so I'm a bit concerned.

mcdonalds japan frequently sends me promotional mms with TONS of emoji, which i think is quite ridiculous, but i can read these mms with emoji matched correctly.

i am not sure about asl standard, but the emoji code part of the original DroidSansFallback.ttf is left blank from the beginning. as far as msgs are sent in unicode, which i believe is what iphone does, it should work without problems.

does this answer your question?

MaTiCeK-

Apr 23, 2010
Most of them anyway... Thx, will try. But can't seem to be able to copy to system. Could be the Froyo ROM I'm using.

MaTiCeK-

Apr 23, 2010
Thx for this, I've finally come around to install it. It works, but I don't really understand how to write them.

valiantdust

Feb 17, 2010
Have tried on Sprint HTC Hero...

... and it works just fine. Some glyphs are not very distinct; these seem to be ones that use a lot of dark colors -- when the glyphs were created, it seems that the dark colors just became black. So I get a number of glyphs that are basically silhouettes of the character they are intended to represent. Am working on creating black & white-optimized glyphs for these characters using the proposed Unicode characters, but this will take some time. Anyone know of other fonts with emoji glyphs in them?

(and lest I forget: THANKS TO THE OP FOR DOING THIS! I've been looking for a way to get emoji on my phone for a while now!)

changx

Jun 18, 2005
Tried it on N1 FRF91

Thanks for this, it work perfectly on my Nexus One.

I copied it to sdcard then followed the instructions on this link (do not rename the file) : androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/67518-change-font.html#post616166

Last edited:

qtotter

Mar 13, 2006
Tokyo
easier way for mms+emoji

to use mms with softbank, you need to remove Mms.odex and replace Mms.apk by a modified one in /system/app. The Mms.apk developed in the blog below also has a built-in emoji function in color.

http://blog.takuo.jp/2010/07/android-mmsapk-softbank.html

because of the nature of this app, the emoji function implemented in it is not compatible with other sms/mms apps like handcent.

so if you want to use handcent, you still need the font trick (b&w.)

dajtw

Nov 4, 2003
Tokyo
to use mms with softbank, you need to remove Mms.odex and replace Mms.apk by a modified one in /system/app. The Mms.apk developed in the blog below also has a built-in emoji function in color.

http://blog.takuo.jp/2010/07/android-mmsapk-softbank.html

because of the nature of this app, the emoji function implemented in it is not compatible with other sms/mms apps like handcent.

so if you want to use handcent, you still need the font trick (b&w.)

Can I ask which ROM are you on? Froyo (Android 2.2)? I tried installing this but it just will not receive or send messages properly. Be great if you could let us know, colour emoji via messaging is something I've been waiting for 3 years now.

qtotter

Mar 13, 2006
Tokyo
I installed zip file in Recovery mode in CM6 RC3, but the MMS app disappeared. Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks

sorry, i have never used cm roms. (probably, will never...)

did you use the zip for cm6? why don't to try to install the apk by shell, manually, not by zip update?

qtotter

Mar 13, 2006
Tokyo
Can I ask which ROM are you on? Froyo (Android 2.2)? I tried installing this but it just will not receive or send messages properly. Be great if you could let us know, colour emoji via messaging is something I've been waiting for 3 years now.

i am using my own custom rom based on official froyo rom, and i am using a different Mms.apk because i don't need color emoji and need only the mms function.

only installing this zip does not automatically give you the mms function. you need to set up apn and ua correctly to match each other.

APN: open.softbank.ne.jp
Username: opensoftbank
Password: ebMNuX1FIHg9d3DA
MMSC: http://mms/
MMSPort: 8080
MCC: 440
MNC: 20

MMSProxy: smilemms.softbank.ne.jp for iphone ua
MMSProxy: mmsopen.softbank.ne.jp for softbank ua

10w40

Sep 4, 2009
Tokyo
I am not seeing some emoji properly when using this ttf on froyo.. is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

salimpusa

May 19, 2008
tokyo
no problem on CM6 nightly build 209

I can confirm it works for CM6...very nicely:)... click the link with CM6 and flash both mms.apk and update-fallback

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i don't think this is useful for most of the people here, but I have inserted softbank emoji font data into the original DroidSansFallback.ttf so that desire users with softbank can view chinese/korean texts and emoji at the same time. Please find the attached.

i also created a user dictionary for simeji. copy the dic into /sdcard/Shimeji, load it as a user dic, and use "、", "。", "?", "!" (double-bite!!) to type emoji with simeji. simeji seems to have a limitation in the number of phrase entries, and i had to devide all emoji for those 4 double-bite letters as above, which seems more logical, in a sense, for daily use.

FYI, the emoji font data is originated from here, http://cova.sakura.ne.jp/sb/ i tried to contact the person who created the outline data, but he doesn't seem to check his blog for a long time and his email address is dead...