Search This thread

housas08

Oct 30, 2010
Athens
Is that it?
Really?
Those five steps.
No preparation, nothing else needed.
Just turn on my device, follow those five steps and it's done.
Why do I feel like there's something I am missing here?
If it's five steps to root then I am dead impressed!

it is simple as that! nothing less, nothing more... wait no longer... go root your iconia!

i confirm that you can download the apk through your tablet and install it right away...

Franwella

Mar 17, 2009
Melbourne
it is simple as that! nothing less, nothing more... wait no longer... go root your iconia!

I am speechless. it just seems far too easy!

*off I toddle to root my iconia*

i confirm that you can download the apk through your tablet and install it right away...[/QUOTE]

Lovely. Easy done.

Oh, a quick question, does this affect the contents of the microSD card in anyway? Should I pop a blank card in, or is it safe to leave the current one (with content) in the slot?

Last edited:

MJ-12

Apr 29, 2011
IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER :)
Root done, fanctastic machine. Went to PCW 2 weeks ago to get Zoom but Iconia won me over not because of price, but because it looked better and USB and power on bottom of Zoom!!! (£90 for dock) not very user friendly.

Thanks all... Oh and new forum :)

Anyone tried overclock?

lou0611

Sep 24, 2008
Yardley

I am speechless. it just seems far too easy!

*off I toddle to root my iconia*

i confirm that you can download the apk through your tablet and install it right away...

Lovely. Easy done.

Oh, a quick question, does this effect the contents of the microSD card in anyway? Should I pop a blank card in, or is it safe to leave the current one (with content) in the slot?
[/QUOTE]

its safe

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

Franwella

Mar 17, 2009
Melbourne
ROOTED!

Did it! Done it! Lived it! Loved it!

To all the devs involved, you are my heros! You're superstars and deserve to be worshiped. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ben.marks

mutiny

Aug 13, 2007
NYC
Congratulations guys! Not only is your wonderful, awesome tab getting love here in the XDA, it also got rooted almost instantly. I'm very happy for you guys.

Long live Android!

(This is coming from a rooted Xoom owner, BTW.)

--Sean

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Does the root process harm data on the microsd card? I have a 32gb loaded and would rather not hose it.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Good luck with that, and the IPS on the transformer is not that great, kind of choppy for games. People are expecting an iPad2 style ips and it is NOT. The refresh rate is too low, the color is just a tad crisper then the Acer. Barely noticeable to the eye. Friend got his and sold it on ebay for the Acer, the USB was more important then the ips, and ips is great for graphic designers but gamers, not so much. Why do you think in every review people complained about choppy video... It because it is a cheap ips with a cheap refresh rate. Hence the price. Just my $0.02. Glad the Iconia got some love with their own section. It will be about June before you get one.

I just looked mainly at static images, but the A500 and Trans seem to look the same to me and ditto for the iPad 2. Besides the A500 not having as extreme angles (which I do not care about) the Acer is just as good IMO.

I did not watch video or play games on the Trans to see what you are referring to. As far as still images, all three displays look the same to me.

sappyswami

Dec 19, 2010
Dude, this is incredible. Took me two seconds. It was harder to root my OG Droid phone. Everyone who worked on this: thank you so much!

Vereynn

Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
For everyone being amazed at how easy this is, we must all tip our hats to the guys who did all the hard work, figuring this out :) I mean seriously, who would even THINK of having to set the orientation lock to enable root?
I love being even on the fringes of such a great community of outside the box thinkers.

thesilverhawk

Mar 23, 2011
i cant stand the vertical lines running all across the asus screen. I have a nook color and I see none of that on it.

Petros_tigra

Feb 18, 2009
thank you all guys who work for the root

i cant wait for a custom o/c kernel....

ps:i need about 2 hours to root a friends zoom and about 2 minutes to root my iconia....

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
i got a problem here...

alright, the.root process went without a hinch... i got superuser right... doesnt look that way... i tried t run SHOOTME the screen capture that requires superuser... even though the superuser request came through, i cannot use it as there is an error asking me to make sure i/have root access... when i went/to rerun gingerbreak, it asked/for superuser and thesame occured... anyone else haave this issue? thanks guys...

saeba

Apr 14, 2006
Atlanta
alright, the.root process went without a hinch... i got superuser right... doesnt look that way... i tried t run SHOOTME the screen capture that requires superuser... even though the superuser request came through, i cannot use it as there is an error asking me to make sure i/have root access... when i went/to rerun gingerbreak, it asked/for superuser and thesame occured... anyone else haave this issue? thanks guys...

I had the same issue with Shootme. But other apps (Titanium Backup, Quick Boot) requiring root worked fine. So I downloaded Screenshot ER and used it instead. Seems like Shootme doesn't work on the Acer and/or Honeycomb.

Reactions: mapaz04

techbeck

Aug 22, 2009
Not sure what happpend. DLed and isntalled the APK...and ran root. The tab rebooted. I tried TB and gave it root...then TB says it could not acquire root access. So I tried to run the APK again and it force closes

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
    2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
    3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
    4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
    To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
    Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
    Acer Iconia A500 Rooted
    How to Root Acer Iconia A500

How to Root Acer Iconia A500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9srwjuAF6w
    I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
    2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    o Themes
    o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    o Recovery image
    o Bootloader
    o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    o Boot images
    o Add linux binaries
    3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
    o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4. Backup your system
    o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)