USB Host / OTG

Search This thread

Tomo123

Since there is no confirmed information stated anywhere on the web about S5 Mini supporting / not supporting USB OTG, I tried it myself.

Bought a cable, tried it, and was left dissapointed. Did not work.

So, can anyone else confirm USB OTG working / not working on a S5 Mini ( G800F )?

P.S. Flash stick and USB OTG cable I used work perfectly on a couple of tablets I managed to test in the meantime.

Last edited:

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
The G800F is capable of USB OTG. It simply is not enabled in the stock firmware. I build a custom kernel with USB OTG enabled and it works.
It even powers the USB device so no external power source is required.

So far I tried keyboard, mouse and USB-audio. Everything works. I haven't tried USB storage so far as the power consumption is much higher than for other devices - it might work but it can also damage your phone.

At the moment I cannot create a new thread to post the kernel (10 posts are needed before this is possible). So I will do this later.

I wonder why Samsung disabled this feature - and if they will enable it with later firmware releases. Maybe there really are power issues.

---------- Post added at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

Also my tivizen USB-OTG DVB-T stick works :)
I got this bundled with an EDD-D200B docking station for 17€. First I was disappointed as neither the docking station nor the DVB-T stick worked with the stock firmware. With the stock kernel, the DVB-T stick is not recognized. Now it works just fine.

With the stock kernel also the docking station is useless. Nothing happens if you put the phone on the dock. It does not even charge the phone. This is because the dock usb port is connected to a resistor on the OTG ID-pin. As the stock kernel is not compiled properly, the G800F recognizes the dock station to support dock mode but it does not switch to this mode.
In my kernel, dock and car dock support is still disabled. Maybe I will enable this tonight in the kernel. Would be interesting if it charges then or even routes audio to the audio connector in the back of the dock.

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
Hi da_jok3r,

I don't have a G800H so I will not try it. But if I have some time, I will write down the steps to perform to enable USB OTG.
This way it might be possible to port the changes to the G800H. But as totally different SoCs are used in G800F and G800H chances are not that high, that the same fix will work on the G800H too.

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
Some more update:
  • USB-OTG mass storage works. Tested it with a USB flash stick and I can browse the files.
  • Enabled desk dock support in the kernel and now the EDD-D200B dock charges the phone. No need to remove the dock's internal resistor anymore. Unfortunately, audio is not redirected to the dock's audio connector. The sound still comes from the phone's speaker. Either the soundchip's audio pins are not connected to the sm5502 USB-switch or there is some software component missing.

Here the dmesg output after connecting the dock:
[ 485.951912] [0] 834 muic-sm5502:sm5502_muic_detect_dev dev[1:0x0, 2:0x40, 3:0x10], adc:0x1a, vbvolt:0x2
[ 485.952006] [0] 834 muic-sm5502 : DESKDOCK DETECTED
[ 485.952056] [0] 834 muic-sm5502:attach_deskdock vbus(2)
[ 485.952817] [0] 834 muic-sm5502:switch_to_dock_audio
[ 485.953797] [0] 834 muic-sm5502:set_com_sw reg_val(0x49)!=MANSW1 reg(0x1), update reg
[ 485.955550] [0] 834 muic-sm5502:muic_dock_cb MUIC dock type=1
[ 485.956488] [0] 834 muic-sm5502:attach_charger new_dev(6)
[ 485.956572] [0] 834 muic-sm5502:muic_charger_cb 6

If audio routing through the dock is not supported, maybe I will just use USB-audio to get the audio through.

da_jok3r

Aug 1, 2010
If you remove all the necessary files from the firmware G800h and act as a tester?
The processor also depends also support OTG? (Qualcomm - Exynos)

Last edited:

PhotoRepair

Dec 9, 2014
Love to here more on this

If you remove all the necessary files from the firmware G800h and act as a tester?

Hi there

Music to my ears. I have a S5 Min 800F and am desperate to get the OTG working. Just invested in OTG cable ANT+ stick and new ANT+ enabled Cycle computer and I had no idea that OTG was not operational.

With my old Samsung S2 I routed and change the software to KitKat but this one is still new. Does it involve route and wipe and start again or is there an easy way?

Love to hear more please

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
Music to my ears. I have a S5 Min 800F and am desperate to get the OTG working. Just invested in OTG cable ANT+ stick and new ANT+ enabled Cycle computer and I had no idea that OTG was not operational.

Does that mean, you have not tried so far if OTG works for you? At least with my firmware (G800FXXU1ANJ2) it did not work - but it is possible (but unlikely) that official firmwares exist that already support OTG. Maybe you can test if OTG works and post your firmware version here.

With my old Samsung S2 I routed and change the software to KitKat but this one is still new. Does it involve route and wipe and start again or is there an easy way?

My smartphone is rooted but it should also work without root. You have to flash a new kernel (contained in a boot.img file) with Odin. Although this does not root your device it will probably trigger the KNOX counter and void your warranty. As only the kernel is replaced, the Android system and your data will survive - so you don't have to start again. But I would recommend to safe your data before, just in case flashing the kernel fails.

PhotoRepair

Dec 9, 2014
Does that mean, you have not tried so far if OTG works for you? At least with my firmware (G800FXXU1ANJ2) it did not work - but it is possible (but unlikely) that official firmwares exist that already support OTG. Maybe you can test if OTG works and post your firmware version here.

OTG not working with firmware (G800FXXU1ANJ2) exactly same as yours.

My smartphone is rooted but it should also work without root. You have to flash a new kernel (contained in a boot.img file) with Odin. Although this does not root your device it will probably trigger the KNOX counter and void your warranty. As only the kernel is replaced, the Android system and your data will survive - so you don't have to start again. But I would recommend to safe your data before, just in case flashing the kernel fails.

Why should we suffer an inferior phone when the OTG is there and just needs switching on! So Id have to find a Kernel with the OTG enabled? Or do you have one?

Thanks so much for your help

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
Why should we suffer an inferior phone when the OTG is there and just needs switching on! So Id have to find a Kernel with the OTG enabled? Or do you have one?

I already built a kernel with OTG support for the G800F. I will post the link and some notes as soon as I can open a new thread.

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014

If you already rooted your G800H you could check which USB switch is built-into your device. Connect to your device via ssh or adb shell as root. Then connect an OTG cable (with a keyboard, mouse, ... plugged in) with your G800H. On the shell execute "dmesg" and search for lines with "OTG", "OTG DETECTED", "muic-sm5502", "muic" or "5502". If you have lines with "muic-sm5502" then at least you have the same USB-switch built-in. You can also put (parts of) the dmesg output in some pastebin and post the link here. Then I can have a quick look at it.

Reactions: da_jok3r

da_jok3r

Aug 1, 2010
If you already rooted your G800H you could check which USB switch is built-into your device. Connect to your device via ssh or adb shell as root. Then connect an OTG cable (with a keyboard, mouse, ... plugged in) with your G800H. On the shell execute "dmesg" and search for lines with "OTG", "OTG DETECTED", "muic-sm5502", "muic" or "5502". If you have lines with "muic-sm5502" then at least you have the same USB-switch built-in. You can also put (parts of) the dmesg output in some pastebin and post the link here. Then I can have a quick look at it.

please see
There are references to the OTG
And here is the link to the OpenSource for g800h
http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=SM-G800H

Attachments

• Desktop.rar
    387.7 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:

thean9el

Jan 21, 2015
hello, sorry for asking, but...

i have a g800f (normal s5mini) with firmware g800fxxu1ang7, no updates since start. i have flashed this firmware and rooted with cf. but i miss the otg-option, so what to do and what are the experiences so far?
can i flash your kernel to my handy or do i have to flash first a special firmware? do i lose my settings etc. and have to set up the handy after flashing again? what if i want to go "back" for e.g. i recognize that your kernel has some side effects that i dont want do?
sorry for asking, but im not sure about flashing, actually my handy works like a charm but i want to have the otg.feature. btw...if the otg is enabled after flashing what when the handy falls in to water? at usb-connector should now be 5volt which is sure not good in water..maybe this is the cause why samsung disabled it - or was ist maybe of the android 4.4. rules (heard otg should no longer be supported)

pls...lighten my darkness :)

Khayatian

Feb 3, 2015
hello, sorry for asking, but...

i have a g800f (normal s5mini) with firmware g800fxxu1ang7, no updates since start. i have flashed this firmware and rooted with cf. but i miss the otg-option, so what to do and what are the experiences so far?
can i flash your kernel to my handy or do i have to flash first a special firmware? do i lose my settings etc. and have to set up the handy after flashing again? what if i want to go "back" for e.g. i recognize that your kernel has some side effects that i dont want do?
sorry for asking, but im not sure about flashing, actually my handy works like a charm but i want to have the otg.feature. btw...if the otg is enabled after flashing what when the handy falls in to water? at usb-connector should now be 5volt which is sure not good in water..maybe this is the cause why samsung disabled it - or was ist maybe of the android 4.4. rules (heard otg should no longer be supported)

pls...lighten my darkness :)

I want it toooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

mahirh

Jun 30, 2012
attachment.php

I wonder if anybody can test one of these OTG Y-cables without this patch and see if it works.
Perhaps they've only disabled the otg power out pins. It would make sense that they'd do that since we don't have the highly convenient port flaps unlike the s5. Without the flaps, the circuits would probably just bleed to death from short circuit or something.
Well, it works on the nexus where google disabled OTG

Attachments

• sku_155233_1.jpg
    sku_155233_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 8,077

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
I wonder if anybody can test one of these OTG Y-cables without this patch and see if it works.
Perhaps they've only disabled the otg power out pins. It would make sense that they'd do that since we don't have the highly convenient port flaps unlike the s5. Without the flaps, the circuits would probably just bleed to death from short circuit or something.
Well, it works on the nexus where google disabled OTG

You can try it - but it won't work. Without the patch the USB-OTG cable is detected by the kernel but the USB-host drivers are simply not loaded (because software support is deactivated).
In addition i don't know if such a cable will hurt the smartphone. I think I already used such a cable with my phone without damaging it but who knows (and you don't really need it because the phone powers the devices itself).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Interesting. Could your friend make a video showing S5 mini with unlocked OTG and dipping it in water? I just can't believe what are you saying.

I will do a video of that on my G800H
    the otg kernel is almost ready
    maybe it will be in this week release
    The G800F is capable of USB OTG. It simply is not enabled in the stock firmware. I build a custom kernel with USB OTG enabled and it works.
    It even powers the USB device so no external power source is required.

So far I tried keyboard, mouse and USB-audio. Everything works. I haven't tried USB storage so far as the power consumption is much higher than for other devices - it might work but it can also damage your phone.

At the moment I cannot create a new thread to post the kernel (10 posts are needed before this is possible). So I will do this later.

I wonder why Samsung disabled this feature - and if they will enable it with later firmware releases. Maybe there really are power issues.

---------- Post added at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

Also my tivizen USB-OTG DVB-T stick works :)
    I got this bundled with an EDD-D200B docking station for 17€. First I was disappointed as neither the docking station nor the DVB-T stick worked with the stock firmware. With the stock kernel, the DVB-T stick is not recognized. Now it works just fine.

With the stock kernel also the docking station is useless. Nothing happens if you put the phone on the dock. It does not even charge the phone. This is because the dock usb port is connected to a resistor on the OTG ID-pin. As the stock kernel is not compiled properly, the G800F recognizes the dock station to support dock mode but it does not switch to this mode.
    In my kernel, dock and car dock support is still disabled. Maybe I will enable this tonight in the kernel. Would be interesting if it charges then or even routes audio to the audio connector in the back of the dock.

An instruction how to flash the OTG kernel image is here:
    [KERNEL][G800F][exynos][G800FXXU1ANG1] USB-OTG enabled kernel
    Otg is disabled on the s5 mini because of it water proof ability if you all notice the usb connector is open unlike the s5 has a flap now imagine what would happen to ur mini if voltages was available on the connectors?