General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Hi,
Need some suggestions.
I bought Asus 6z 128gb variant from flipkart, was not able to switch it on as power key was not working. Placed an refund order.

Now should I order Asus 6z 64gb as 128gb is not available, or should I go for other option.

Current device: one plus 3

Why not go for the one plus 5 ? Its in the same price range

last_nooby

May 24, 2012
Hi folks, I need a monster phablet for my job, I don't have budget problem:
1) big screen, at least 7" better more
2) huge battery (I'm tour leader so I spend most of the day at open air (cities, mountains, seas..), at least 5/6000mha
3) IP68 (but if not I'd buy some rugged+scuba/dust proof case, no problem)
4) stereo speakers with Dolby et similar (or audio from screen if it's better), I need to show videos to my groups so I need quality and loud speakers
5) possibly 5G
6) top quality screen (I need it to show videos to my groups so, eg. very visible under the sun..) so HDR and similar, high refresh rate
7) very important: desktop mode and easy TV connection to have big screen for office, media tasks (eg. Gimp, video and audio editing..). I had big big problem with my Pixel 2XL because bigG force me to use Chromecast but I don't have WiFi at home and when I'm in hotels usually WiFi don't allow Chromecast connection (I mean, open WiFis but to insert Id and Pw on webpage. It's incompatible with Chromecast! I had to sell it due useless!!)
8) best Soc (I don't play videogames at all but, as I already written at n.7, I use it for my business too so I need enough Ram, super fast CPU for tasks like computer graphics eg. GIMP, etc..)
9) great camera (I need it because I take a lot of pics and videos to the groups of my tourists days and nights)
10) preferably 3,5mm Jack for wire earphones (I read Bluetooth audio can't reach yet top quality like audio jack)
Ultimately I need something like Mate 20 X but upgraded with added 5G module.
Following rumors I could consider:
- Samsung note 10+
- Huawei Mate 30 X
- Asus Rog 2
- Pixel 4 (project Ara?)
Something better, top? As already written no problem with money (1,2,3000€...)
Thank you

Last edited:

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Hi folks, I need a monster phablet for my job, I don't have budget problem:
1) big screen, at least 7" better more
2) huge battery (I'm tour leader so I spend most of the day at open air (cities, mountains, seas..), at least 5/6000mha
3) IP68 (but if not I'd buy some rugged+scuba/dust proof case, no problem)
4) stereo speakers with Dolby et similar (or audio from screen if it's better), I need to show videos to my groups so I need quality and loud speakers
5) possibly 5G
6) top quality screen (I need it to show videos to my groups so, eg. very visible under the sun..) so HDR and similar, high refresh rate
7) very important: desktop mode and easy TV connection to have big screen for office, media tasks (eg. Gimp, video and audio editing..). I had big big problem with my Pixel 2XL because bigG force me to use Chromecast but I don't have WiFi at home and when I'm in hotels usually WiFi don't allow Chromecast connection (I mean, open WiFis but to insert Id and Pw on webpage. It's incompatible with Chromecast! I had to sell it due useless!!)
8) best Soc (I don't play videogames at all but, as I already written at n.7, I use it for my business too so I need enough Ram, super fast CPU for tasks like computer graphics eg. GIMP, etc..)
9) great camera (I need it because I take a lot of pics and videos to the groups of my tourists days and nights)
10) preferably 3,5mm Jack for wire earphones (I read Bluetooth audio can't reach yet top quality like audio jack)
Ultimately I need something like Mate 20 X but upgraded with added 5G module.
Following rumors I could consider:
- Samsung note 10+
- Huawei Mate 30 X
- Asus Rog 2
- Pixel 4 (project Ara?)
Something better, top? As already written no problem with money (1,2,3000€...)
Thank you

Well, you could wait for Iphone 11. Its coming out in mid september 2019. Iphone 11 max or something like that. They surely will add 5G, given that samsung has.

And for bluetooth headphones, i recommend skullcandy. Top of the line, very good sound quality

Reactions: last_nooby

tsongming

Aug 19, 2016
Well, you could wait for Iphone 11. Its coming out in mid september 2019. Iphone 11 max or something like that. They surely will add 5G, given that samsung has.

And for bluetooth headphones, i recommend skullcandy. Top of the line, very good sound quality

Yes IPhone 11, if you enjoy spending 3 times as much for a phone with a smaller battery, no ability to customize, no support after 3, 4 years, and exorbitant pricing should you not be under warranty.

I worked for Apple for 5 years. In addition, to everything that I just mentioned there are many additional things that I could tell you about how the y don't give a crap about stolen computers and phones, plus technicians aren't allowed to fix simple issues their job is to swap boards, and again if you aren't under warranty you will get heavily gouged on the price.

One plus 7 is awesome, reliable, is well supported and would be better economically.

Xiaomi like One Plus offers very similar quality at a lower price, plus they have gotten much better about updates, and even plan to change Miui to be more westernized. Plus many of their devices bought in the last two years will get Android Q.

Sent from my MI 8 using XDA Labs

Reactions: pauliusval99

baileyjs

May 11, 2007
I currently have a Motorola droid turbo that I've really liked but it's getting a little wonky. Any recommendations on Verizon phones to look at or to stay away from? I don't get in to nearly the amount of rooting/ROMS that I use to, but knew this forum was the place to get solid advice. Thanks!

gungjodi

Aug 13, 2012
Hello,
I am planning to upgrade my phone and already decided to buy Oneplus 7 Pro. However, ASUS ROG Phone 2 is coming this year. I would like to have opinions from you guys whether I buy OP7 right away or wait for ROG Phone 2 later?

Reactions: last_nooby

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
Samsung Galaxy Watch
OnePlus 10 Pro
Hello,
I am planning to upgrade my phone and already decided to buy Oneplus 7 Pro. However, ASUS ROG Phone 2 is coming this year. I would like to have opinions from you guys whether I buy OP7 right away or wait for ROG Phone 2 later?

I have the excellent OnePlus 7 Pro and it has a lot of development on XDA...

Dvalin21

Nov 2, 2010
OKC
I plan on picking up the Oukitel K9

You can find complete specs from Here!
Quick specs is as follows:
Display: IPS 7.12", 350 ppi, 137 ppcm, 2.5D curved screen.
Display Manufacturer: AU Optronics
Cpu: Media Tek Helio P35
RAM: 4gb
Gpu: PowerVR GE8320
Storage: 64gb
Battery: 6000 Mah
Works on Carriers T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon
I want to know is there a better phone with the similar to these specs for similar price? ($189) Budget is an issue.
Also there's already support for the it at the 4pda.

Last edited:

RazaBlada

Sep 30, 2011
Köping
Hello all!

I maybe got a odd question, even if it may make total sense to some, and here goes the question:

I sadly got a Huawei P20 at the moment, and it's really locked down nowadays, thought Huawei would had a blooming community, with easy unlocking of bootloader, but I couldn't had been more wrong.

And even if I can use the test point to bypass unlocking of bootloader temporary, I still can't see me owning this phone, it's bull****, no developers behind it nearly, and it's just DoA for me seen in that way.

So I wonder, I want to role with Lineage OS, and feel that I own my phone, not a Chinese government owning me.

So I wonder, what do you think that I can change to that are easy to unlock the bootloader of, and that supports the lineage OS, and that are popular around here, that I can trade fare and square for my Huawei P20? Seems like the brands Samsung, Xiaomi and Oneplus are popular when looking at devices in the lineage OS wiki at least.

So I've been looking some at Oneplus 3T as a example, since it seems to be a interesting device, even if I truly want some guidance in this errand, surprise me with options and experiences if you want.

What I would prefer: minimum 3GB of RAM.
a big screen, around 6" or in that area.
And which have around 3000-4000 mAh battery.

Hello all!

I maybe got a odd question, even if it may make total sense to some, and here goes the question:

I sadly got a Huawei P20 at the moment, and it's really locked down nowadays, thought Huawei would had a blooming community, with easy unlocking of bootloader, but I couldn't had been more wrong.

And even if I can use the test point to bypass unlocking of bootloader temporary, I still can't see me owning this phone, it's bull****, no developers behind it nearly, and it's just DoA for me seen in that way.

So I wonder, I want to role with Lineage OS, and feel that I own my phone, not a Chinese government owning me.

So I wonder, what do you think that I can change to that are easy to unlock the bootloader of, and that supports the lineage OS, and that are popular around here, that I can trade fare and square for my Huawei P20? Seems like the brands Samsung, Xiaomi and Oneplus are popular when looking at devices in the lineage OS wiki at least.

So I've been looking some at Oneplus 3T as a example, since it seems to be a interesting device, even if I truly want some guidance in this errand, surprise me with options and experiences if you want.

What I would prefer: minimum 3GB of RAM.
a big screen, around 6" or in that area.
And which have around 3000-4000 mAh battery.
Any OnePlus device hands down, they 100% have the best custom developer support in my opinion..

Reactions: RazaBlada

rsenden

Apr 13, 2006
Schiedam
What phone to replace OnePlus 3T?

I've been the happy owner of a OnePlus 3T 64GB for the past 2.5 years. Unfortunately last week the display of my 3T cracked (although still functional for now). My company will not pay for repair, but will reimburse up to the equivalent of USD 350 for a new phone every 2 years. As such I guess it's time for a new phone. Question is, which one?

I mostly use my phone for basic things; browsing, navigation, email & messaging, Facebook, occasional music and videos (Plex, VLC, streaming to ChromeCast), occasional photo's and video recording, ...

Requirements:

* Dual SIM (main reason for replacing my previous Moto X 2014 with Honor 5X before moving to OnePlus 3T, other than that I liked the Moto X as well)
* Fairly clean Android experience, little/no bloatware (I like the OnePlus experience much better than my earlier Samsung S2 & S4 Mini)
* Good performance (since the upgrade to OxygenOS 9.0.4, it seems like my 3T is sometimes lagging just a little bit)
* Decent battery life & fast charging
* Frequent Android updates/upgrades (my experience with OnePlus is much better than earlier Samsung phones)
* Unlockable bootloader and active custom ROM community would be good (with the 3T I've never felt the need to install a custom ROM, but it's good to have an alternative if needed, for example if the manufacturer stops providing updates)
* Easy to fit into your pocket; not too big and not too heavy
* 128GB or more storage
* Preferably 3.5 audio jack
* No Huawei due to uncertain future given USA trade restrictions
* Price around EUR 350 to 500 (give or take a couple of euro's)
* Available in The Netherlands through local (web) shops, amazon.de, or manufacturer web shop

Preferably I would like to stick with OnePlus, but I think the OnePlus 7 (Pro) or even 6/6T don't meet my requirements; too expensive, no audio jack, and probably much larger and heavier than the 3T. The main advantage for me would probably just be the much better camera on the 7 (Pro). The OnePlus 5/5T seems to meet my requirements much better, with prices around EUR 380 for OnePlus 5 128GB, or EUR 480 for 5T on amazon.de, but I'm a bit worried about Android upgrades as this is already a slightly older model.

Are there any other brands/phones that I should look into that meet my requirements but are more recent than the OnePlus 5/5T? Any major pro's or con's or other remarks with regards to buying the 5T?

Thanks,
Ruud

Last edited:

phaleg

Jul 20, 2012
Velletri, RM
bit.ly
I've been the happy owner of a OnePlus 3T 64GB for the past 2.5 years. Unfortunately last week the display of my 3T cracked (although still functional for now). My company will not pay for repair, but will reimburse up to the equivalent of USD 350 for a new phone every 2 years. As such I guess it's time for a new phone. Question is, which one?

I mostly use my phone for basic things; browsing, navigation, email & messaging, Facebook, occasional music and videos (Plex, VLC, streaming to ChromeCast), occasional photo's and video recording, ...

Requirements:

* Dual SIM (main reason for replacing my previous Moto X 2014 with Honor 5X before moving to OnePlus 3T, other than that I liked the Moto X as well)
* Fairly clean Android experience, little/no bloatware (I like the OnePlus experience much better than my earlier Samsung S2 & S4 Mini)
* Good performance (since the upgrade to OxygenOS 9.0.4, it seems like my 3T is sometimes lagging just a little bit)
* Decent battery life & fast charging
* Frequent Android updates/upgrades (my experience with OnePlus is much better than earlier Samsung phones)
* Unlockable bootloader and active custom ROM community would be good (with the 3T I've never felt the need to install a custom ROM, but it's good to have an alternative if needed, for example if the manufacturer stops providing updates)
* Easy to fit into your pocket; not too big and not too heavy
* 128GB or more storage
* Preferably 3.5 audio jack
* No Huawei due to uncertain future given USA trade restrictions
* Price around EUR 350 to 500 (give or take a couple of euro's)
* Available in The Netherlands through local (web) shops, amazon.de, or manufacturer web shop

Preferably I would like to stick with OnePlus, but I think the OnePlus 7 (Pro) or even 6/6T don't meet my requirements; too expensive, no audio jack, and probably much larger and heavier than the 3T. The main advantage for me would probably just be the much better camera on the 7 (Pro). The OnePlus 5/5T seems to meet my requirements much better, with prices around EUR 380 for OnePlus 5 128GB, or EUR 480 for 5T on amazon.de, but I'm a bit worried about Android upgrades as this is already a slightly older model.

Are there any other brands/phones that I should look into that meet my requirements but are more recent than the OnePlus 5/5T? Any major pro's or con's or other remarks with regards to buying the 5T?

Thanks,
Ruud

I would go with Pocophone 128/6 … It fits all your needs but the pocket size, which I cannot guarantee, because it fits in mine, but pocket size could be different.

(I just got it and I feel great with it)

rsenden

Apr 13, 2006
Schiedam
I would go with Pocophone 128/6 … It fits all your needs but the pocket size, which I cannot guarantee, because it fits in mine, but pocket size could be different.

(I just got it and I feel great with it)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look and it certainly looks interesting. It does have some drawbacks though:
* No NFC. I forgot to list this in my requirements; I don't use NFC that often but don't want to lose it in case I ever need it.
* Most of my recent phones had AMOLED displays, so I'm hesitant to move to a different display type.
* I don't know how good this brand is with regards to software updates and upgrades.

In the end I decided to stay with OnePlus and purchased a OnePlus 6 128GB; the last model with a headphone jack and I'm assuming this will receive the same updates/upgrades as the 6T.

Thanks,
Ruud

~Emaleth~

Aug 2, 2019
Hello, currently i use Tp-Link Neffos C5, same as all phones before, after 2 years of use buttons work 1/3 times, battery is nearly dead and it never was the fastest phone in the first place.
I'm looking for something cheap but as powerful as possible. I don't care about the company, or the bloat wear but i definitely want it to be some popular model with strong lineage OS support. It's fine if unlocking it is bit more complicated than usual as long as it's possible. Im fine with something bulkier/ heavier for the sake of big battery. Don't care much about camera, speakers or nfc. Wireless charging would be nice but I'm not counting on that. As for the screen FullHD is fine.
Last time is used xda was in my htc desire hd days, nice to be back :)

RazaBlada

Sep 30, 2011
Köping
In the end I decided to stay with OnePlus and purchased a OnePlus 6 128GB; the last model with a headphone jack and I'm assuming this will receive the same updates/upgrades as the 6T.

Thanks,
Ruud

That sounds like a really lovely choice indeed, and I hope that you'll be happy with your new choice of cellphone, and I wouldn't be surprised if you will be.

And I also wanted to inform you that you got a PM from me here on XDA.

Last edited:

phaleg

Jul 20, 2012
Velletri, RM
bit.ly
Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look and it certainly looks interesting. It does have some drawbacks though:
* No NFC. I forgot to list this in my requirements; I don't use NFC that often but don't want to lose it in case I ever need it.
* Most of my recent phones had AMOLED displays, so I'm hesitant to move to a different display type.
* I don't know how good this brand is with regards to software updates and upgrades.

Thanks,
Ruud

Glad you got a Oneplus, I was considering to take OP7, but in the end, the price drove me to Pocophone XD

About AMOLED, my brother has OnePlus 6T and when we are at the beach, my display looks better than his … So yes, pocophone is not LED, but it is very easy to use also in heavy light condition

malapeiro

Aug 19, 2008
I am looking for a smartphone with a lengh about 15 cm. I dont like big phones! I have to buy it from Amazon.es.

Xiaomi mi A3 and honor 10 are about 250€.
Which other models should i consider at this price range ?

Enviado do meu Redmi 4 através do Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)