[HowTo] Root official AT&T 2.3.6 Gingerbread and UCLB3 leak - Infuse 4g

Search This thread

mymyankee7

Apr 14, 2012
Update: For those who don't want to mess with Heimdall and swapping kernels to get root on stock UCLB3, I've put together an Odin tar.md5 that will install the AT&T / Samsung 2.3.6 Gingerbread release with root already installed. This will install just like the Samsung leaks, and comes with all of the same stuff: stock kernel, etc. After I finish testing and uploading it, I'll start a thread in Development.

This will eliminate having to go through a long list of difficult steps to get root on stock UCLB3.

EDIT - I have a working tar.md5 for this, but need to work on it a little more before I post later this weekend.

Newbee here....That would be great. I would like to route my Infuse but I get lost as far as "where" to put "what".

J

jscott30

That would be great.

It's all done now and working 100% in every situation I've tried to throw at it. Just had to work out some issues that I was having when I tried it in some situations.

Uploading now, and will post the stock UCLB3 kernel version when uploading is done.

Last edited:

mymyankee7

Apr 14, 2012
Find the Odin flashable package here, this flashes stock UCLB3 with root already installed:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1613523

Now this is more like it!! Thanks a ton JScott30.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Now this is more like it!! Thanks a ton JScott30.

I have Odin 1.85. Is it ok to use this latest version or should I stay with the 1.81?

mymyankee7

Apr 14, 2012
The newer version of Odin should work fine; I just packaged what I happened to have on my notebook at the time.

Finally got around to rooting my Infuse. Followed your instructions to a "T". Beautiful man.........again thanks. I installed the ROM manger (free) and Titanium Backup. When doing Backup on Rom manager my Infuse doesn't appear for selection. Should I get the premium or will I encounter the same problem? Should I also install the Rogue Recovery....what do you recommend.

J

jscott30

Finally got around to rooting my Infuse. Followed your instructions to a "T". Beautiful man.........again thanks. I installed the ROM manger (free) and Titanium Backup. When doing Backup on Rom manager my Infuse doesn't appear for selection. Should I get the premium or will I encounter the same problem? Should I also install the Rogue Recovery....what do you recommend.

Awesome, glad you got it rooted. I'd search or start a new thread about how to use ROM Manager, since that's off topic. Personally, I don't use it and prefer to handle backups in CWM recovery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA

The i9000 can be used for the infuse on ROM manager. Without offense to anyone or people who had success using ROM manager, the consensus among most of us is NOT to use ROM manager for that purpose. Use CWM recovery for back up as jscott30 had recommended.

Reactions: Clark Joseph Kent

mymyankee7

Apr 14, 2012
Which CWM should I use and how do I install? I tried Rom Manger and I flashed the Clockworkmod and it was successful but when i went to the "reboot into recovery" It spit out errors: E:failed to verify whole-file signature (all in red) and E:signature verification failed.

J

jscott30

Which CWM should I use and how do I install? I tried Rom Manger and I flashed the Clockworkmod and it was successful but when i went to the "reboot into recovery" It spit out errors: E:failed to verify whole-file signature (all in red) and E:signature verification failed.

Find and install SGS Kernel Flasher in Android Market / Google Play Store. Use this on the phone to flash the zImage of a custom kernel that includes CWM recovery. Entropy's Daily Driver, includes red CWM recovery, and can be found here.:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1212795

mymyankee7

Apr 14, 2012
Got CWM, Flashed Entropy's Kernel with SGS kernel Flasher...Beautiful man. Everything works smooth. Want to give a big thanks for helping out this nubee.

kentu3

Apr 23, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Tried to flash CWM as described above and got stuck in a boot loop.was able to revert back. Wich version should i be flashing. I cant figure out what else could have gone wrong

J

jscott30

Tried to flash CWM as described above and got stuck in a boot loop.was able to revert back. Wich version should i be flashing. I cant figure out what else could have gone wrong

Sometimes, boot loops after a flash can be fixed by clearing user data and cache in recovery and then rebooting.

If you're having trouble using SGS Kernel Flasher or another method, though, then give the third option in step 1 at this link a try.:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1613523

kentu3

Apr 23, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Ok, got cwm installed and then flashed the vagabond Rom. Everything is running smooth. Thanks a million.

anashashmi

May 14, 2012
Small simple question:

Hi,
I am a newb just like the intro video said, and I am really looking to learn as much as I can about flashing, programming, and contributing. But in my time of entering the waters, I have a question that is driving me nuts.

I want to root my Infuse 4G for the sole purpose of installing and using a backup software like CWM or Titanium. Why? So I can try out different ROMs and do all sorts of crazy stuff with it.

But the procedure posted of rooting the Infuse 4G with GB requires to flash the ROM (preferably with stock ROM that is rooted). If I do that, will I lose all my settings and stuff, or will it be just like flashing the ROM thru Kies Mini?

Thanks for all the help.

J

jscott30

Hi,
I am a newb just like the intro video said, and I am really looking to learn as much as I can about flashing, programming, and contributing. But in my time of entering the waters, I have a question that is driving me nuts.

I want to root my Infuse 4G for the sole purpose of installing and using a backup software like CWM or Titanium. Why? So I can try out different ROMs and do all sorts of crazy stuff with it.

But the procedure posted of rooting the Infuse 4G with GB requires to flash the ROM (preferably with stock ROM that is rooted). If I do that, will I lose all my settings and stuff, or will it be just like flashing the ROM thru Kies Mini?

Thanks for all the help.

Read on past the easy method to the more involved method. You can root UCLB3 without flashing a ROM package. But, yes, if you do use one of the Odin packages, your user settings will be reset, and you'll have to reinstall downloaded apps. Music, photos, etc. however, won't be wiped.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Initialising connection...
    Detecting device...
    ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -12

The i9000 can be used for the infuse on ROM manager. Without offense to anyone or people who had success using ROM manager, the consensus among most of us is NOT to use ROM manager for that purpose. Use CWM recovery for back up as jscott30 had recommended.