4.3 OTA ML2 Root Method!

Search This thread

htaak

Aug 2, 2011
Ore Chasm - Pandora
Google Pixel 6
For the guy having issues with rooting....

I had to try multiple times to get Saferoot to work. Try switching USB ports on your PC and trying right after you reboot your PC.

Sent from my Rooted I537

Last edited:

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
When you go into download mode.. Under system status.. What do you see.. Official or custom

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If it says "Custom" will I not be able to flash this? I'm not sure if it was attempting to root it before with 4.3 OTA ML2 installed or if it had something to do with the Avast! Anti-Theft that's still installed at the root level that I forgot to get rid of.

I've never used Odin before, so I've got some reading to do. I just want to make sure that this is even an option or if I'm screwed.

Thanks!

popfan

Jan 26, 2011
Just an FYI to all - I did find that Odin 3.09 was the best one to use for new ppl. The buttons match the fields that need to filled in. Example - 3.09 has CSC button and that is where the CSC file goes.

Miami_Son

Feb 4, 2009
Hurricane Country
I've asked this before and never really got an answer. Now that we have a viable root method for OTA ML2 I'll ask again. What is in this release that would make it worth updating from 4.2.2? Thanks in advance.

T

tmease1

I've asked this before and never really got an answer. Now that we have a viable root method for OTA ML2 I'll ask again. What is in this release that would make it worth updating from 4.2.2? Thanks in advance.

A lot less laggy. I finally did it just because we will have to have 4.3 to get anymore updates. To me it's is worth updating.

Sent from my XT1034 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
I've hated it this far because of the root problems and GPS and WiFi drops. I'll try rooting it when I get home from work. Thanks for the info.

Agent.

Feb 10, 2013
New York
If someone made a video tutorial it would be much appreciated. I am currently on rooted 4.2.2 and am afraid to do anything without specific instructions.

tet1

May 9, 2013
the instructions its very clear dont need to some one make a video first download the the file 4.3 ML2 then unzip the file you will see 4 files open Odin go to the download mode press volume up & power botton
BL. goes to the bootloder
AP. goes to the PDA
CP.goes to the phone
CSC . goes to the CSC
about root 4.3 ML2 .. download the 2 files first flash pwnedkernel via Odin put in PDA then download saferoot on you computer unzip it then open the file go to the install open it ..you will see command put your phone on USB debugging plug on you computer press enter a few mints your phone will reboot when your phone get root flash the originalkrenel same thing on PDA your done... sorry about my English

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: jkeuclid and hypsi

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
Will the phone report a different build number or have any way to tell if the pwnedkernel installed properly? It still says ML2 for me.

I've used Odin to flash pwnedkernel from what I can tell, but I still get stuck at "[*] Waiting for your phone to appear" when trying to install Saferoot. This is the same behavior as the last time I tried to install it after upgrading to 4.3.

Is there anything else I should try?

tet1

May 9, 2013
after your phone rebooting you have to keep look at your phone because will give option USB pres OK again then wait a little bit then one more time press any key on you computer or press enter and wait until it say all finish I don't remember exat ...

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

keep look at your phone will download app superus press grant ..

htaak

Aug 2, 2011
Ore Chasm - Pandora
Google Pixel 6
Will the phone report a different build number or have any way to tell if the pwnedkernel installed properly? It still says ML2 for me.

I've used Odin to flash pwnedkernel from what I can tell, but I still get stuck at "
[*] Waiting for your phone to appear" when trying to install Saferoot. This is the same behavior as the last time I tried to install it after upgrading to 4.3.

Is there anything else I should try?

I think the pwnedkernel is dated September not December.

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
after your phone rebooting you have to keep look at your phone because will give option USB pres OK again then wait a little bit then one more time press any key on you computer or press enter and wait until it say all finish I don't remember exat ...

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

keep look at your phone will download app superus press grant ..

Kept an eye on it for several minutes with no luck.

I think the pwnedkernel is dated September not December.

Okay. I can confirm the September date. Also WiFi does not work. Looks like Odin installed it properly.

===EDIT===
Also USB Debugging is enabled, but I never saw a confirmation to communicate with my computer when I plugged it in.

Last edited:

jkeuclid

Mar 19, 2014
Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

You must flash those files first before rooting because if your system gets flagged as custom then the bootloader will block you from doing it.
Hi Sunderwear, first off a big ty for doing this, I'll be sure and donate your way post root; secondly can you explain this post above (post #44) as it relates to the steps in post#1 and also can you elaborate on step #2 regarding "...USB debugging mode try using saferoot or Vroot"?

I'm a tech junkie but a bit of a smart phone noob so I just want to have all my ducks in a row before rooting my just delivered today ML2 GS4A, so if I'm correct the newest version of Odin is 3.09? I also have both saferoot files, saferoot.zip and also SafeRoot+Disable KNOX.zip, which do we use? And we would then follow along with the Odin Flash Guide (http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s3/help/guide-odin-flash-guide-t1671969)? Also, for su access, I see there is a Superuser and SuperSU, which one of those is desirable? How do we then make sure the OTA updates are disabled, is this done then post rooting with SU? Thanks.

Do we have to do a factory reset necessarily before rooting and also, if we installed any custom apps, do we need to uninstall them beforehand?

Last edited:

RuizM

Mar 25, 2014
Hello, just wanted to say thanks for the root and it worked flawlessly. I have safestrap installed and running but I haven't pulled the trigger yet on trying a rom for a couple of reasons and I was wondering if someone could help me. I have the ML2 baseband so I have been searching for those modules and can't seem to find anything. My question is, since I have the i537 with the ML2 baseband, are there no working modules for it yet? I do apologize for asking, I have spent the past couple of days searching every post, every thread about safestrap and roms. The only thing I really know for sure is that I would have to use a 4.3 TW based rom. Thank you guys for all the wonderful work. I've been coming here as a visitor for years and this is the first time I've been stumped. Take care!

MechaBouncer

Nov 13, 2010
Okay. So flashing the pwnedkernel with Odin worked. I'm pretty sure that I have the old kernel installed.

However my "Custom" bit has been tripped for some time from my previous attempt to install Saferoot when 4.3 ML2 first came out. I believe that this is preventing me from rooting the phone. Perhaps someone could confirm whether that is the case or not. And unfortunately the only way I know to reset the bit is Triangle Away and requires root.

Now I do have a previous install of SuperSU from before I did the OTA update. It's still installed as a system app. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I tried uninstalling Busybox and making sure the Xposed Framework was not installed (I know it set the Custom bit once before).

Is there anything else that I can try? Or am I SOL thanks to this Custom bit? Thanks again for your help thus far.

gatoraid84

Jan 12, 2012
Jacksonville
Okay. So flashing the pwnedkernel with Odin worked. I'm pretty sure that I have the old kernel installed.

However my "Custom" bit has been tripped for some time from my previous attempt to install Saferoot when 4.3 ML2 first came out. I believe that this is preventing me from rooting the phone. Perhaps someone could confirm whether that is the case or not. And unfortunately the only way I know to reset the bit is Triangle Away and requires root.

Now I do have a previous install of SuperSU from before I did the OTA update. It's still installed as a system app. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I tried uninstalling Busybox and making sure the Xposed Framework was not installed (I know it set the Custom bit once before).

Is there anything else that I can try? Or am I SOL thanks to this Custom bit? Thanks again for your help thus far.

If I were you I would flash the complete ML2 package with odin..it will wipe your phone completely. Then try the root method. I know you took the ota but I believe flashing It with odin will fix your situation
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2625931

Last edited:
Reactions: yankeesfan714

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello there fellow XDA peeps. I figured out the way to root the OFFICIAL OTA 4.3 Update. Build Number UCUBML2.

1. Download the the following file http://www.mediafire.com/download/x4n952wzyr3eobd/pwnedkernel.tar.md5 and flash it with odin under PDA. I pulled the boot.img from the 4.3 leak and as we all know it is vulnerable to saferoot and other root method around.

2. After phone reboots enable USB debugging mode try using saferoot or Vroot..google it... it will work .

3. Because this is an older kernel, wifi and some other stuff dont work but dont panic. Flash the next file https://www.mediafire.com/?08j1wqn0x7igjq0 with odin under PDA . This is the stock ML2 kernel.

4. After phone reboots launch Supersu and allow the binary to get updated. Also disable that pesky Knox :laugh:

5 .???

6. Profit. Enjoy your rooted apps and safestrap :good::good:

P.S. I have the 4.2.2 modem because I had to repair the imei of the phone..but just ignore it. and again enjoy

Credits to all the people that came up with the kernel exploits like Saferoot etc.
    I guess I only partially answered your question, so I'll go through your post line by line to make sure I convey what I was unable to last time.

So you prefer a rooted 4.3 rather than an official AT&T 4.4? I thought 4.4 had improvements over 4.3.
    I don't think it's a matter of preference for people whether they choose 4.3 or 4.4, on some phones 4.4 just flat out doesn't work so they are forced to use 4.3 if they want a working phone.

I assume you will upgrade to official 4.4 OTA after you find how to root it, correct? AND I assume you downgraded to 4.3 because root provides you with more flexible choices as to how and what your phone runs.
    As I tried to say in my previous post, the 4.4 OTA was released on April 16 and subsequently pulled by AT&T on April 19 due to bugs. This OTA was captured and anybody who wants update to 4.4 manually is able to do so. Additionally root has been achieved on 4.4 and there are many people who are running rooted 4.4.2 right now. You can find more information on downloading and rooting the 4.4.2 update in the i537 Firmware Thread. So it's not so much that 4.3 provides more flexibility (both 4.3 and 4.4 have been rooted), but the fact that on some phones 4.4 doesn't work properly.

I'm 63 and haven't ever had a smartphone except for the last two weeks or so, and I bricked a rooted 4.2.2, then I had to bring it back to AT&T to resurrect it to their official AT&T 4.3. I'm both enthusiastic about rooting my official 4.3 on my I537, but am afraid that (because of my android inexperience) I'll have to drag it back to AT&T to fix it a second time. Such a plethora of rooted tweaking information makes tweaking choices a very chancy business for me.
    It sucks that you bricked your phone, but for future reference you can always flash the 4.3 ML2 Odin package and it should save your phone. Again you can find links to more information about ML2 and the Odin packages in the i537 Firmware Thread. If you're worried about bricking your phone after rooting, I would suggest looking into SafeStrap. To summarize what it does, it basically creates a second ROM on your phone that is independent of your original (stock) ROM. This way you can mess with your second ROM and do pretty much anything you want to it, even completely corrupt it, and you'll still be able to fall back to your working stock ROM and still have a working phone. It's a really great alternative to having a locked phone and not being able to flash custom ROMs. I would do a bit of research about SafeStrap, how to use it and how it works, it could save you headaches in the future.

sagi232123 recommended your "sunderwear method" here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52412047.
    Root methods for every version of firmware is linked to in the i537 Firmware Thread.

I'm going to turn off OTA updates after I root with your method, but if a root method for the official OTA 4.4 comes along, do you know if I could turn OTA updates back on and upgrade to the official 4.4 version? I will hold off rooting with your "sunderwear method" until I'm reassured of this.
    Just so you're aware, once you change your system files in any way (i.e. rooting) you will no longer be able to receive OTA updates. For some people this is a deal breaker, but you can always flash the 4.3 ML2 Odin package to return to a stock, untouched system that will be able to receive OTA updates again. The only downside to this is that the Odin package will completely wipe your phone when you flash it.

I hope this answered your questions, but my suggestion again is to look at all the links in the i537 Firmware Thread and read everything 3 or 4 times before you do anything. People have done everything you are trying to do and have run into the problems that you will inevitably run into. There are solutions for everything posted in this forum you just need to make sure you read about what you're going to attempt before you actually do it to minimize your risk.
    the instructions its very clear dont need to some one make a video first download the the file 4.3 ML2 then unzip the file you will see 4 files open Odin go to the download mode press volume up & power botton
    BL. goes to the bootloder
    AP. goes to the PDA
    CP.goes to the phone
    CSC . goes to the CSC
    about root 4.3 ML2 .. download the 2 files first flash pwnedkernel via Odin put in PDA then download saferoot on you computer unzip it then open the file go to the install open it ..you will see command put your phone on USB debugging plug on you computer press enter a few mints your phone will reboot when your phone get root flash the originalkrenel same thing on PDA your done... sorry about my English

confirmed root access for 4.3 OTA Ml2 worked perfect .. thank you man you are amazing

I have my S4A 4.3 ML2 rooted and all that but now it's pestering me to update to 4.4.2 and i know is i update it i will lose root. Is there a way to stop the notification from popping up or upgrade to 4.4.2 and have it still rooted?
    Rename wssyncmldm.apk and wssyncmldm.odex to wssyncmldm.apk.bak and wssyncmldm.odex.bak respectively.

Or just update to 4.4.2 and root with towelroot. It's a lot easier than you think.