How to theme Contacts and Clock VZW S5 PKM files

Search This thread

EMSpilot

Inactive Recognized Themer
May 31, 2012
Show Low
So I am sure many of you have noticed that when you decompile ClockPackage.apk or SecContacts_Phone_FLAGSHIP_USA.apk you see a bunch of PKM image files. I have managed to replace most of them with PNG files and sucessfully theme both APK's.

Here is a link to both of my ASU Sun Devil themed ClockPackage.apk and SecContacts_Phone_FLAGSHIP_USA.apk. http://d-h.st/q5D

You are welcome to theme them as you see fit. I spent over 100 hours on these. PS: the text color code I use is ffffb310 hex and -0x4cf0 smali. There are some smali edits in ClockPackage. None in Contacts.

Thanks for looking!!!

Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-07.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-07.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,322
  • Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-11.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,239
  • Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-14.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-27.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-27-15-32-34.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,294

tdunham

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
Ok, I'm stumped. I took ALL the images from XXHDPI and vrthemed them into another SecContacts_Phone_FLAGSHIP_USA.apk file and it didn't appear to do anything except maybe change the statusbar.
I pulled the apk just to be certain and sure enough, the themed png files were there. Any ideas?

EMSpilot

May 31, 2012
Show Low
Ok, I'm stumped. I took ALL the images from XXHDPI and vrthemed them into another SecContacts_Phone_FLAGSHIP_USA.apk file and it didn't appear to do anything except maybe change the statusbar.
I pulled the apk just to be certain and sure enough, the themed png files were there. Any ideas?

You can't do that. The PKM files will still exist. You must morph the whole folder if you are going to do that so it erases the stock one.

Best way is to just decompile and theme it. Use my APK's as a base.

tdunham

Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
You can't do that. The PKM files will still exist. You must morph the whole folder if you are going to do that so it erases the stock one.

Ahhh!!! Gotcha. Totally forgot about that. I don't do a lot of theming I work on other development stuff mainly but this particular release is going to keep us busy for a while I think. LOL

tdunham

Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
Ok figured out that your contacts apk flashes and works fine on the Sprint S5 variant btw (very nice, this could come in handy later).
However, it does not play nice with apktool 2.0x so I decompiled it with apktool 1.5.2 and it 'almost' recompiled fine except for an apktool dummy error that was being generated by res/drawable/select_all_item_bg.xml. The resource is definitely there but it gave it that value for this line anyway.

Code:
<item android:state_pressed="true" android:drawable="@*android:drawable/APKTOOL_DUMMY_0b03" />

To correct for that, I pulled the stock select_all_item_bg.xml, copied right over the decompiled one with the apktool dummy code (I know I could have just fixed the line but whatever ;)) and it now recompiles perfectly. I am attaching that file for anyone that may have issues. This xml file is ALREADY decompiled.

Edit: EMSPilot, I heard you got the original images from the S4. You don't still happen to have an stock/unthemed version of contacts we can work from do you :)?

Attachments

• select_all_item_bg.zip
    392 bytes · Views: 89
Last edited:
Reactions: reverepats

eladios

Oct 15, 2010
Palma de Mallorca
Awesome mate, I was going crazy looking for ways to thematize these PKM files.
Tested and works perfect s5 International. :laugh::laugh:
Thanks and regards.:good:

BoBCatRoM

Recognized Themer
Dec 9, 2011
Hello guys, someone can tell me how to change the log window colors? I can not find ?
Thanks
urydureg.jpg

Last edited:

mdonnelly1127

Oct 11, 2010
This is awesome work. Would love to see someone develop a dark contacts and SMS stock app darkened too. If anyone can do sothat would be awesome. But not dark MMS like the old school stuff but dark MMS with ways to change the bubble colors too. Would love to see where this goes thanks again devs

blulite

Aug 28, 2010
So I am sure many of you have noticed that when you decompile ClockPackage.apk or SecContacts_Phone_FLAGSHIP_USA.apk you see a bunch of PKM image files. I have managed to replace most of them with PNG files and sucessfully theme both APK's.

Here is a link to both of my ASU Sun Devil themed ClockPackage.apk and SecContacts_Phone_FLAGSHIP_USA.apk. http://d-h.st/q5D

You are welcome to theme them as you see fit. I spent over 100 hours on these. PS: the text color code I use is ffffb310 hex and -0x4cf0 smali. There are some smali edits in ClockPackage. None in Contacts.

Thanks for looking!!!

Enjoy!!!

Do you also theme /system/app/InCallUI.apk? That's the contacts screen during a phone call.

SICKMADE

Feb 11, 2013
LAS VEGAS "SIN CITY"
i decided that i would try and make a theme for the tmo s5 varient even tho i do not have the device and boy i had no idea what i got myself into when it was time to theme contacts!!! i have never seen anything like this over my past years theming the s2-s4 and note 3! i was like a pkm what??? i was able to edit in my own images for dialer buttons and dialer bg but stopped there! lol. I was truly amazed when coming across this thread and just wanted to take my hat off to you! i have a question tho... sorry if you already answered for i attempted to search for the answer in this thread but am still a little confused.. so again how did you replace the pkm with a png? just by using another seccontacts image and replacing the pkm with the png?? i doubt thats how because you would have to change it in the values folder or something like that correct? kinda like i and i also saw you figured out how to edit our own dialer button image? ive just been so stumped with these pkms that i am like i need to know how you did it! lol.

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
@EMSpilot
Great work in here Sir..... made couples adjustment for AT&T S5 SM-G900A And everything look good....

yjevyty6.jpg

u4a4u2yd.jpg

EDIT: Sept 15
Hi Bill @EMSpilot
I really appreciated all your guide and pointers

pe9ybamy.jpg

gu5u8abe.jpg

ay7BXoF.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for looking!!!

Enjoy!!!

Ok figured out that your contacts apk flashes and works fine on the Sprint S5 variant btw (very nice, this could come in handy later).
    However, it does not play nice with apktool 2.0x so I decompiled it with apktool 1.5.2 and it 'almost' recompiled fine except for an apktool dummy error that was being generated by res/drawable/select_all_item_bg.xml. The resource is definitely there but it gave it that value for this line anyway.

Code:
    <item android:state_pressed="true" android:drawable="@*android:drawable/APKTOOL_DUMMY_0b03" />

To correct for that, I pulled the stock select_all_item_bg.xml, copied right over the decompiled one with the apktool dummy code (I know I could have just fixed the line but whatever ;)) and it now recompiles perfectly. I am attaching that file for anyone that may have issues. This xml file is ALREADY decompiled.

Edit: EMSPilot, I heard you got the original images from the S4. You don't still happen to have an stock/unthemed version of contacts we can work from do you :)?
    Spinner

Hello guys, someone can tell me how to change the log window colors? I can not find ?
    Thanks
    urydureg.jpg

That would be a tw_spinner in framework-res. Not sure which one as I always theme them all.