How do I get Titanium Pro to backup Torque user screens?

Search This thread

DWilks

Aug 6, 2015
I'm trying to backup all of the Torque Realtime screens because of the time it takes to make them but it's not working! Does Titanium Pro really backup "User Data" which I would assume that these screens would be??
Someone here has to have done this if they have these 2 apks and backed Torque up using Titanium Pro! Any help much appreciated. It must be in one of the Backup or Restore settings but I can't figure out which one!

djshotty

Oct 7, 2008
East Maitland, NSW, Australia
In the Preferences of Titanium, tap on Backup settings, and put a tick in the Backup app cache box. Make sure the folder you're saving the backup files to is empty, and then do a backup, but just the Torque app. only.
You then copy that entire folder with what Titanium has saved for Torque to your new device, install Titanium Pro on it, go into Preferences, Restoration settings, and ensure a Tick in the box next to Migrate system data. Then, restore the app. and it should come back the way you had it on your donor device.

Last edited:

DWilks

Aug 6, 2015
@djshotty , very much appreciate your response. Am trying your method now but need to know which 'batch actions' to 'restore' listing to use. I've been using "Backup all user apps" to backup and I've been using "Restore all apps with data" and then 'Deselecting all' and only selecting Torque and then do the Restore. Where, except what you mentioned, have I been doing wrong???
Just finished testing and still the same problem. I did a backup, ticking places you mentioned using a new empty folder, and then did a restore(of Torque only). It looked the same....BUT I next erased one of the PIDs on one of the screens. Then without doing another backup, I restored that same backup and what I erased is now gone. In other words, the backup should have restored the screen the way it was backed up!...must be another 'tick box' that I have ticked or don't have ticked that needs to be. One other thing, I don't have any scheduled backups set so they don't change my testing while trying to find what the problem is. Thanks for helping!

Last edited:

djshotty

Oct 7, 2008
On the Batch actions - ALL screen, Run the Backup all user apps + system data, then Deselect All, scroll down to find Torque, put a tick in the box, tap the green tick at the top right of screen and back it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

DWilks

Aug 6, 2015
On the Batch actions - ALL screen, Run the Backup all user apps + system data, then Deselect All, scroll down to find Torque, put a tick in the box, tap the green tick at the top right of screen and back it up.
@djshotty apparently you aren't reading my post correctly. I have backed up Torque and stated in my post. I am not trying to migrate my settings to another unit as you mentioned. Titanium Pro should never change a backup once its been backed up. That's why one can do multiple backups. If I make a mistake and delete an app that's been backed up, Titanium can restore it. Why you are getting defensive? I have said nothing but that I have followed your instructions and they did not work. Titanium is not restoring my backup as it was when I backed it(Torque) up. Proof: I backup Torque and then make a change to Torque. I then restore Torque and the changes that I made are in the backup that gets restored!!! And that's without doing another BackUP...just Restore.
I'm just asking for help from anyone that uses Titanium Pro that can guide me to where in the settings that must be wrong to cause my problem. Thanks again for attempting to help!

matt1981m

Apr 13, 2011
Mod edit: garbage removed from quote

I almost peed my pants after reading this...lol

If the steps outlined are not working something must be wrong with the application installed, or a pebkac error... I too have used TB for years since since the HTC Incredible came out and have never had a problem when following these same steps. I have never known TB to change a previously created backup.

DWilks

Aug 6, 2015

If the steps outlined are not working something must be wrong with the application installed, or a pebkac error... I too have used TB for years since since the HTC Incredible came out and have never had a problem when following these same steps. I have never known TB to change a previously created backup.
@matt1981m, instead of peeing in your pants, why don't you attempt what I have posted and then post that it works for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its obviously changing my backup. If you use Torque, make a backup, go back into Torque and just change one easy PID on one of the screens by deleting the PID, and then restore your backup just for Torque and see if that PID is really still there where it was. Then post your reply! I'm not saying that Titanium Pro has the problem, I'm trying to find out why and how to fix my problem with Titanium's backup! I thought this site was for members to get help and to offer help to those that need it instead of making derogatory remarks about someone's problems with any app. If you check most of my post, you will find that I attempt to help others instead of criticizing them...

Reactions: marchnz

matt1981m

Apr 13, 2011
I apologize if you felt I was criticizing you. That was not my intention. I have torque pro installed and configured on my HU. I haven't had any issues, and I haven't specifically tried modifying the PID as you have mentioned, but I have used TB to restore settings for Torque Pro. I will be installing a SoM upgrade to a RK3188 in a couple days, depending on USPS, and I will update this thread at that time to share what results I have with the current versions of both apps.

DWilks

Aug 6, 2015
I apologize if you felt I was criticizing you. That was not my intention. I have torque pro installed and configured on my HU. I haven't had any issues, and I haven't specifically tried modifying the PID as you have mentioned, but I have used TB to restore settings for Torque Pro. I will be installing a SoM upgrade to a RK3188 in a couple days, depending on USPS, and I will update this thread at that time to share what results I have with the current versions of both apps.
Thanks Matt, for your reply. I have been using Titanium for months without problems. But when changing one of the screens in Torque, NOT Modifying the PID, but deleting one PID or adding a PID, and then change my mind and want it back like when I backed it up, it restores the screen as I last modified it after the backup! Since I changed it, it's different than the backup. The backup should return the screen to when I backed it up. It does not! I will add that I never tried this before.......and I just used Malaysk's Lollipop ROM to upgrade from KItKat 4.4.4 to LP 5.1.1.....Thanks @Malaysk ,don't know that has anything to do with the problem. It appears, from the way that mine is doing, that Titanium is monitoring in the background and keeping my changes overriding the backup when they are different. I'm very new to the Android devices and have a very lot to learn about root and different apps. Please try when you get the SOM upgrade and duplicate what I tried and post results here. I use paypal and will pay for the solution to the problem if one exist! Thanks again

matt1981m

Apr 13, 2011
I jealous of the 5.1.1... that is why I am doing this SoM upgrade. I have a Sonata and only the RK3066 was available with the bezel for the car. The aftermarket bezels just looked cheap and I was looking for an OEM feel. No need to pay for a fix. If you feel inclined to do so, send beer/coffee money Malaysk's way.

DWilks

Aug 6, 2015
I jealous of the 5.1.1... that is why I am doing this SoM upgrade. I have a Sonata and only the RK3066 was available with the bezel for the car. The aftermarket bezels just looked cheap and I was looking for an OEM feel. No need to pay for a fix. If you feel inclined to do so, send beer/coffee money Malaysk's way.
will do, and thanks.....having no problems with 5.1.1.....but I don't have access to anything but wifi on the road, so no phone, no internet,,,,,just music, GPS, and off-line maps...bjut well worth it.

DWilks

Aug 6, 2015
will do to Malaysk, and I'm having no problems with 5.1.1

djshotty

Oct 7, 2008
I backup Torque and then make a change to Torque. I then restore Torque and the changes that I made are in the backup that gets restored!!! And that's without doing another BackUP...just Restore.
That's because Titanium replaces the files in the data folder with what it's stored away. If there are new files with different names containing the changes you've made to the app., they won't get overwritten.

I'm just asking for help from anyone that uses Titanium Pro that can guide me to where in the settings that must be wrong to cause my problem. Thanks again for attempting to help!
Because of how Titanium does it's thing, there's no 'Setting' that will force it to overwrite the install folder's files when it hasn't actually got them stored away. When you make changes to the app.'s system files, they get changed from what Titanium backed up. You're asking to restore your old settings for Torque over the top of what you changed? Then go into your device's Settings menu, Applications, Application manager then delete all data for Torque and then uninstall it. Next, restore the app. from Titanium directly, and you'll be back where you were at the time you backed the app. up.

Feb 5, 2014
I have the same issue. I've reset my phone and restored all apps using Titanium Backup yet the custom screens I had created for Torque, including my vehicle profile, weren't restored. My backups for all other apps and data restored fine, except Torque.

DWilks

Aug 6, 2015
I have the same issue. I've reset my phone and restored all apps using Titanium Backup yet the custom screens I had created for Torque, including my vehicle profile, weren't restored. My backups for all other apps and data restored fine, except Torque.
Glad to help you on this problem ShieldOfSalvation. That was one of the most frustrating problems that I had and couldn't get an answer that worked. Those screens are a pain in the ass to have to keep making.
Here's a solution that worked for me: All of your screens & vehicle settings are located in a folder called ".torque" (without those quote marks) .torque . It's located in the "internal storage sdcard" as in this location "internal storage sdcard\.torque . That 'slash mark' might be flipped the other way...as in / instead of \...I don't remember which.
You need to copy the folder .torque WHILE YOU STILL HAVE YOUR SCREENS THAT YOU SET UP to an External device like the EXTERNAL SDCARD (GPS CARD if you have one). And then, after you have completed whatever upgrade or process that you have done that erases your "screens and vehicle settings" and goes to default, JUST COPY YOUR SAVED .torque FOLDER BACK TO IT'S ORIGINAL LOCATION AND OVER WRITE THE ONE THAT'S NOW THERE. You can also rename the .torque folder that's in the internal storage sdcard and paste the SAVED .torque folder there. If you don't make any changes to your screens very often, keep that .torque folder with your screens in a safe place and just copy and paste it over the default one. If and when you do make changes, make sure to recopy .torque folder and store it in a safe place .....that's it....Hope it works for you!

Feb 5, 2014
DWilks, if you're right, then when I get home tonight I should be able to restore that .torque folder because in addition to Titanium Backup Pro I also use SyncMe Wireless by bvaisoft to backup the entire internal SD card and external SD card (including my Titanium Backup archives) to a network hard drive on my LAN. In this case where TB Pro appears to have missed that folder, SyncMe should have saved my hide. It snapshots the entire SD card's files and folders. I will come back with results later.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2014
SyncMe did backup my .torque folder in the internal SD card because I had it set to copy hidden files and folders nightly. After copying it back to my SD card from my network share backup location, I was finally able to see my vehicle profile again in Torque and my custom dashboard is back. Thanks, DWilks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

@matt1981m, instead of peeing in your pants, why don't you attempt what I have posted and then post that it works for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its obviously changing my backup. If you use Torque, make a backup, go back into Torque and just change one easy PID on one of the screens by deleting the PID, and then restore your backup just for Torque and see if that PID is really still there where it was. Then post your reply! I'm not saying that Titanium Pro has the problem, I'm trying to find out why and how to fix my problem with Titanium's backup! I thought this site was for members to get help and to offer help to those that need it instead of making derogatory remarks about someone's problems with any app. If you check most of my post, you will find that I attempt to help others instead of criticizing them...