[GUIDE][ROOT][TWRP-MOTOMODS] How To Root Moto Z with SuperSU

Search This thread

erfanoabdi

Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2015
Tehran
erfanoabdi.github.io
Download-SuperSU-2.56.jpg
someone should write tutorial about rooting, and clarify things about new nougat so let's start
there's 2 way to root stock N :
old phh's superuser
and new systemless superSU, i'm gonna show this way
first make sure you have stock boot partition (not rooted, installed turboZ is OK) and absolutely unlocked bootloader : How to Unlock Bootloader

How to root ?
  1. flash my custom modded TWRP(with Battery Mod Support) : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=157130
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
  2. flash latest TurboZ Stock kernel with TWRP : TurboZ_*_N(or 7.1.1)_Stock.zip
  3. flash latest SuperSU by chainfire with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133
  4. (optional) flash latest magisk with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
  5. Reboot system

FAQ :
  • Can I mount system as R/W? or swipe "allow system modification" in TWRP first screen?
    Yes But just after Mounting, you need to flash TurboZ Kernel otherwise bootloop will happen​
  • Can I update superSU in future?
    Sure​
  • any Side Effects?
    Not Yet, Please test and tell me how's going on​
  • Can I root This Installed Nougat? : https://xdaforums.com/moto-z/development/android-nougat-moto-z-versions-t3506342
    Yes​
  • What About OTA and New Updates ?
    after flashing kernel you can't install(sideload) OTA's, so you have to back to stock and not rooted system, update then root again​

ScreenShots :

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170205-162451.png
    Screenshot_20170205-162451.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 11,216
  • Screenshot_20170205-162457.png
    Screenshot_20170205-162457.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 10,890
  • Screenshot_20170205-162513.png
    Screenshot_20170205-162513.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 10,398
  • Screenshot_20170205-174850.png
    Screenshot_20170205-174850.png
    226.9 KB · Views: 9,531
Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Mar 23, 2015
If anyone asks why the kernel is necessary when mounting system as R/W.

This is because by default, dm-verity is enabled, and will prevent the phone from booting if it detects an unauthorized change in the system partition. Flashing the kernel will disable dm-verity, which makes it a must if you're going to be using the stock ROM but plan on making changes to the system via root access and whatnot.

If you're going to flash a custom ROM, many already come with their own kernel which disables dm-verity (and forced encryption), so flashing a custom kernel that disables it isn't needed if the ROM already has one (it most likely does). However, I do still recommend that you flash a custom kernel on the stock ROM anyway as it makes it less painful if you choose to go back to a stock ROM as you don't need to flash an entire factory image* just to make your phone work due to dm-verity being an ass. It also gives better performance, so it's quite a win-win. ;)

* - You may be able to get around this by just flashing the boot image and then installing the kernel, but I have not tested this.

Last edited:

bert269

Account currently disabled
Jul 17, 2007
Usa
meettomy.site
Question - do you rally need the custom kernel?

I am just curious to know. - is this a requirement for N?
Granted, I am on MM and not N, but managed to get phh's supersu installled and working without modifying the kernel.
I just flashed TWRP and installed su from there, went into playstore and installed phh's superuser.

No problem so far - all mods are working fine.
Thanks

erfanoabdi

Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2015
Tehran
erfanoabdi.github.io
I am just curious to know. - is this a requirement for N?
Granted, I am on MM and not N, but managed to get phh's supersu installled and working without modifying the kernel.
I just flashed TWRP and installed su from there, went into playstore and installed phh's superuser.

No problem so far - all mods are working fine.
Thanks
Yes,
For this systemless, Only kernel needs to be based on MM (which is not available right now)

On mm you can also flash forcedsystem superSU (available in XDA) with force encryption and dm-verify Disabler patch (available in motoZ forum) only if you want chainfire's superSU
But your phh's superuser is working too ;)

bert269

Account currently disabled
Jul 17, 2007
Usa
meettomy.site
Yes,
For this systemless, Only kernel needs to be based on MM (which is not available right now)

On mm you can also flash forcedsystem superSU (available in XDA) with force encryption and dm-verify Disabler patch (available in motoZ forum) only if you want chainfire's superSU
But your phh's superuser is working too ;)

Thank you kindly - I appreciate your response.

Reactions: erfanoabdi

kethsawant

Nov 20, 2012
Mumbai
I am on nougat and rooted with phh supersuser so can i uninstall the phh su and follow you guide of flashing turbo kernel and super su

Tushar1550

Aug 5, 2016
Getting an error

I get the error

(bootloader) Image not signed or corrupt

with both this and the official twrp recovery. And yes, my bootloader is unlocked.
Any way to fix this?

andrea_x

Jul 30, 2013
Stuck at "Your device will boot in 5 seconds"

Hi guys,
I've installed TWRP, I then flashed the TurboZ Stock kernel and it automatically rebooted.
Now it's stuck at the screen
"Your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted
...bla bla bla....
Your device will boot in 5 seconds"

I've tried living it there for hours without any luck.
I've tried flashing TurboZ Stock kernel again but with the same result.
What do I do now?
Thanks

erfanoabdi

Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2015
Tehran
erfanoabdi.github.io
Hi guys,
I've installed TWRP, I then flashed the TurboZ Stock kernel and it automatically rebooted.
Now it's stuck at the screen
"Your device has been unlocked and can't be trusted
...bla bla bla....
Your device will boot in 5 seconds"

I've tried living it there for hours without any luck.
I've tried flashing TurboZ Stock kernel again but with the same result.
What do I do now?
Thanks
Flash this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69439969&postcount=17

andrea_x

Jul 30, 2013
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download-SuperSU-2.56.jpg
    someone should write tutorial about rooting, and clarify things about new nougat so let's start
    there's 2 way to root stock N :
    old phh's superuser
    and new systemless superSU, i'm gonna show this way
    first make sure you have stock boot partition (not rooted, installed turboZ is OK) and absolutely unlocked bootloader : How to Unlock Bootloader

How to root ?
    1. flash my custom modded TWRP(with Battery Mod Support) : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=157130
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
    2. flash latest TurboZ Stock kernel with TWRP : TurboZ_*_N(or 7.1.1)_Stock.zip
    3. flash latest SuperSU by chainfire with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/2014-09-02-supersu-v2-05-t2868133
    4. (optional) flash latest magisk with TWRP : https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
    5. Reboot system

FAQ :
    • Can I mount system as R/W? or swipe "allow system modification" in TWRP first screen?
      Yes But just after Mounting, you need to flash TurboZ Kernel otherwise bootloop will happen​
    • Can I update superSU in future?
      Sure​
    • any Side Effects?
      Not Yet, Please test and tell me how's going on​
    • Can I root This Installed Nougat? : https://xdaforums.com/moto-z/development/android-nougat-moto-z-versions-t3506342
      Yes​
    • What About OTA and New Updates ?
      after flashing kernel you can't install(sideload) OTA's, so you have to back to stock and not rooted system, update then root again​

ScreenShots :
    No no force encryption is only on data partition
    Your errors is because of out dated encryption blobs on TWRP I'll update them soon with newer version

thank you so much!
    can't wait to test some roms

:fingers-crossed:
    If anyone asks why the kernel is necessary when mounting system as R/W.

This is because by default, dm-verity is enabled, and will prevent the phone from booting if it detects an unauthorized change in the system partition. Flashing the kernel will disable dm-verity, which makes it a must if you're going to be using the stock ROM but plan on making changes to the system via root access and whatnot.

If you're going to flash a custom ROM, many already come with their own kernel which disables dm-verity (and forced encryption), so flashing a custom kernel that disables it isn't needed if the ROM already has one (it most likely does). However, I do still recommend that you flash a custom kernel on the stock ROM anyway as it makes it less painful if you choose to go back to a stock ROM as you don't need to flash an entire factory image* just to make your phone work due to dm-verity being an ass. It also gives better performance, so it's quite a win-win. ;)

* - You may be able to get around this by just flashing the boot image and then installing the kernel, but I have not tested this.
    As of now, this still worked for me. From stock, I did all the OTA updates, then I followed the listed procedure and I found success!

It would be great if the first post included some instructions, like get android tools, find fastboot, use "fastboot flash recovery twrp..." etc.
    It works.. Thanks :)