Votes: 1,270 94.8%
  • NO

Votes: 69 5.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

DowntownJeffBrown

Oct 15, 2012
Porter Indiana (Chicagoland)
Re: [HELP THREAD] Nexus 4. Ask any question.

Hi, I asked a phone vendor about the Nexus 4, he said that he wouldn't recommend me this phone. Why ?? because he said that this phone isn't suitable for personal use and is only for those who are 24 hours on the go and on the Net, above all he also mentioned that I need to pay extra money to unlock some Google Services (like, what the hell is Google Service, I haven't even heard it before). So....

1. Is he talking crap ? (about the "paying to unlock Google Service" thing) , or maybe it is because of regional difference ?? (I am from Malaysia, does that make a difference ?)

2. As far as I know, all smartphones are capable/made for going on the Net, hence isn't the "for those who are 24 hours on the go and on the Net“ issue also applicable to other high-end smartphones ?? I dont see why it should discourage me from buying the phone albeit me being a moderate phone user.

Thanks in advance.

Yup he's talking crap.

I've owned 7 smart phones and this is by far the most user friendly high end smartphone I've ever owned. I would highly recommend the N4 to a new android user or a Developer

Oh yea I have no clue what the vendor was talking about with having to pay more for Google services that's BS

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: haige

eep2378

Aug 12, 2010
MA

Hi, I asked a phone vendor about the Nexus 4, he said that he wouldn't recommend me this phone. Why ?? because he said that this phone isn't suitable for personal use and is only for those who are 24 hours on the go and on the Net, above all he also mentioned that I need to pay extra money to unlock some Google Services (like, what the hell is Google Service, I haven't even heard it before). So....

1. Is he talking crap ? (about the "paying to unlock Google Service" thing) , or maybe it is because of regional difference ?? (I am from Malaysia, does that make a difference ?)

2. As far as I know, all smartphones are capable/made for going on the Net, hence isn't the "for those who are 24 hours on the go and on the Net“ issue also applicable to other high-end smartphones ?? I dont see why it should discourage me from buying the phone albeit me being a moderate phone user.

Thanks in advance.

1) he's an absolute moron, nothing he told you is factual.

2) you can do everything with the N4 as you would with any other smartphone.

3) I suggest reading through this thread ( yeah I know its long) there is a wealth of information and most(if not all) of your questions have been answered here :)

Sent from the Nodes of Ranvier

haige

Jan 28, 2013
Ipoh
Out of curiosity haige, what did he recommend?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

He told me that "I am better off using Samsung devices" ... I think its because he doesn't sell N4, so he purposely talked crap so that I'll buy Samsung devices from him :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm still choosing N4, prefer the size and UI and the speedy update from Google, and also the PRICE.

Last edited:

eep2378

Aug 12, 2010
MA

He told me that "I am better off using Samsung devices" ... I think its because he doesn't sell N4, so he purposely talked crap so that I'll buy Samsung devices from him :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm still choosing N4, prefer the size and UI and the speedy update from Google, and also the PRICE.

Speedy updates? Have you been following this 4.2.2 thing ;):p

Sent from the Nodes of Ranvier

DowntownJeffBrown

Oct 15, 2012

Its a beautiful phone you will love it.

fenstre

Jan 9, 2012
this phone isn't suitable for personal use and is only for those who are 24 hours on the go and on the Net, above all he also mentioned that I need to pay extra money to unlock some Google Services
I think I know what he meant, and he's right (though he didn't explain well). This phone maxes out at 16GB internal storage (about 13 is usable), with no SD card slot. To effectively use a medium or large collection of music or videos, you need to store it online. So you need to have internet access 24-hours, and if you want to use Google Music (or the alternative services), you'll need to pay for a big data plan (or be on wifi all the time).

But don't get a Samsung if you care about basic usability. (IMO, obviously.)

Last edited:

jlear3

Aug 22, 2011

Is there any way to enable notification led while charging on stock? Haven't got a chance to root it yet.
Edit: never mind just realized it only works with screen off.

Sent from my stock nexus 4 loving every second!

Last edited:

haige

Jan 28, 2013
Ipoh
I think I know what he meant, and he's right (though he didn't explain well). This phone maxes out at 16GB internal storage (about 13 is usable), with no SD card slot. To effectively use a medium or large collection of music or videos, you need to store it online. So you need to have internet access 24-hours, and if you want to use Google Music (or the alternative services), you'll need to pay for a big data plan (or be on wifi all the time).

Thanks for the info, though I am most certainly NOT going to store 13GB of musics and videos in my phone, I've my notebook for handling games n multimedia + external HDD for storage, why would I use my phone as a storage. Besides, I am using WiFi at home and I rarely even touch my packet data. Just promise me that the basics (Google Maps, Google Now, and Google *whatever*) are free and I will not complain

But don't get a Samsung if you care about basic usability. (IMO, obviously.)

I definitely care for the basic usability. I, for one, don't enjoy experiencing lags be it web surfing or scrolling between windows...(currently using Samsung Galaxy Y)

So, I guess we have come to a conclusion then :fingers-crossed: Thanks guys for helping me out, really. :)

milhouse123

Jun 21, 2011
E-Mail break down with the latest cm10.1 nightly by hotmail sync

since i flash the latest version of cm10.1 nightly on the Nexus 4 the e-mail programm break down. is this a bug or is it my fault?

cowst

Feb 4, 2012
very dumb question but cannot find the answer anywhere.
what's the difference between Nexus 4 Android Development and Nexus 4 Original Android Development?

DowntownJeffBrown

Oct 15, 2012

very dumb question but cannot find the answer anywhere.
what's the difference between Nexus 4 Android Development and Nexus 4 Original Android Development?

From what I understand is in the Development section is stuff that very closely related to stock and original development is stuff that's not. Tell me if I'm wrong guys

spaceman860

Jan 11, 2012

Original development is when its built from aosp and they make their own code regular development is when it's build off another source example cm or aokp

Sent from my Nexus 4

Reactions: DowntownJeffBrown

azrash

Sep 18, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Thanks in advance.

Complete BS. I am a Malaysian too and I have been using it since the second day it was officially launched in Malaysia (close to one month now). Do check out the LYN Nexus 4 thread for available purchasing options if you are interested in getting one. You can use the SKMM rebate to save some money if you are eligible.

I have posted the link to the LYN thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1996342

[Official] Nexus 4 Malaysia Thread - Pricing, Availability, Updates and Rumours

Flowed from my Nexus 4

myv6mustang

Jun 26, 2007

Hello...

Been using a note 2 sincw it came out. Going to sell and get the nexus. Selling because
Dont use stylus
Multiscreen overated
Eye detection doesnt work
Dmn thing is impossible to use one handed

I wanted to know ate there any issues with the nexus 4?

What I mean is are there problems like the prime had with gps. Or the nexus 7 had with screen separation. ..or this has with google wallet?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

NorteX

Aug 8, 2010
Hey guise,

I ordered my N4 from the Brittish Google Play store and used Borderlinx to ship it to Sweden where I live. Everything worked out fine and i'm super happy with the device and how everything worked out.

I have one problem tho, after I ordered the phone using my Google account, I can now access (not use) every service that is available in England that should be block here in Sweden. The currency in Google play store is also shown in Pounds not Sek as I would like to.

I tried changing the location settings in my Google account from Swe to Eng and back to Swe, but to no avail.

Does anyone else have this problem, and/or do you know how to solve it?

Regards N

EDIT: I experience this on my Nexus 7 aswell, this was bought here in Sweden tho! I think the problem has to do with Google somehow and not the device itself.

Last edited:

estallings15

Apr 22, 2011

Hey guise,

I ordered my N4 from the Brittish Google Play store and used Borderlinx to ship it to Sweden where I live. Everything worked out fine and i'm super happy with the device and how everything worked out.

I have one problem tho, after I ordered the phone using my Google account, I can now access (not use) every service that is available in England that should be block here in Sweden. The currency in Google play store is also shown in Pounds not Sek as I would like to.

I tried changing the location settings in my Google account from Swe to Eng and back to Swe, but to no avail.

Does anyone else have this problem, and/or do you know how to solve it?

Regards N

EDIT: I experience this on my Nexus 7 aswell, this was bought here in Sweden tho! I think the problem has to do with Google somehow and not the device itself.

Isn't that based off of the language/country you select when initially setting up the phone?

apkbalaji

Feb 14, 2013
Nexus 4 calling issue

I got nexus 4 phone today 02/13... experienced weird issue ,When I call someone, they person on the other end can hear me but i cant seem to hear anything. But if i were to put it on loudspeaker it works fine.

I talked to google tech support and they said it is a technical issue,they asked me to send the device for replacement.

did any one experience this issue?

dswagg2k10

Oct 3, 2010

Ive been trying to tackle a few things on this here device. First, I read in another forum that I can use the power button to shutter camera, I would simply have to remove the 73-gapps-mako.sh file from /system/addon.d folder. Then after removing the file and reflashing the ROM it's back to the gallery of the rom... thing is... I cant. It says system file so I can make any changes to it.

2nd. Before I flashed to CM 10.1, I use to have the emoji keyboard option... no longer. How can I get that back?

3rd. Does anybody know if this even exist. I have a tripod and a camera... on my phone. Is there a case or something that can connect the two?

and last but very much not least. My previous phone was a sensation 4G, and while this phone pales in comparison to the Nexus, my reception seems a lil weird on this phone. In Nashville, TN coverage was amazing. In Atlanta, it did the job, but wasn't as great as it was in NashVegas. Thing is... with my Nexus(and ive called customer care and... ole girl just wasn't too bright. didn't really answer my question) but Ive notice that when im on the network(not wifi), it WILL NOT do any connection when it says 3G. It will do nothing until it goes to H or H+. This is both before and after I rooted and flashed my phone. This is really a doozy. Any help would be much appreciate. I will even make you a candy apple or a strawberry cake from scratch.

Please help

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a lot of people joining xda on daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked which fill up Development threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions. Idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in the direction where that user can find an answer and educate himself

First thing first. I strongly advise you to read THIS thread before posting ANYTHING on XDA.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in post no2, you might find what you need right away.

For ROM issues please do mention in your post about:
    ROM name
    ROM version and base
    kernel version and its settings
    any mods applied on top of it
    flashing "style" aka dirty or clean
    something like this
    ...and be sure you have asked before on the ROM thread unless you have less than 10 posts on XDA

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please, do come back and read threads in post no2 (coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time and frustration it will save you in the future.

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE,adb, drivers, superCID etc...... You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! No question is stupid in this thread.

***I feel that a little OT is healthy to the success of this type of thread. The people here who help the most will develop a comradery therefore OT is allowed within reason. Common sense will be applied ;)***

HALL OF FAME
    People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their problems/questions. In no particular order. These people also have the right to use the banner below :)
    eep2378
    bassmadrigal
    Stryder5
    trell959
    thephantom
    -Asskicker-
    DowntownJeffBrown ��
    azrash
    rskyline
    fenstre
    undercover
    scream4cheese
    xanthrax
    gee2012
    spaceman860
    zelendel
    Android Pizza
    Chromium_
    Jugg1es
    shengovind
    OhDae-su
    abaaaabbbb63
    Berrydroidcafe
    themike10452
    plegdroid
    jd1639

HelpThreadNexus4_128.gif

Just add this code to your sig
    HTML:
    [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1980135"][IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26257623/HelpThreadNexus4_128.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    WALL OF SHAME! :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: @jugg1es @jugg1es @jugg1es @jugg1es

This post is not just duplicate of kidCarter93 Index thread. This is to be used to point people in the right direction.
    Example:
    Q: How can i unlock my Nexus 4?
    A: Go post no2, link no5

No spoonfeeding, user pointed in the right direction, you get your kudo- everyone happy!

1. [REF] Nexus 4: Technical Specification Breakdown by l0st.prophet

2. [REF]Specs,Reviews,Videos,FAQ,Development | Things you need to know about the Nexus4 by eep2378 and Prawesome

3. [INDEX] ROMs, Kernels, Recoveries, Guides, etc by KidCarter93

4. Standalone ADB with FASTBOOT by tinky1 (extract anywhere and double click on .bat file)

5. [DRIVERS] Nexus 4 Driver for Windows by Stryder5

6. [REF][GUIDE][11/03/2012] Unlocking the Bootloader by TheDarkDefender

7. [ROOT][CONFIRMED WORKING] Root Nexus 4 Using Insecure Boot Image and ADB by HQRaja

8. Nexus 4 Stock OTA and Factory Image URLs by oldblue910

9. [HOW-TO] How to flash a factory image / return to stock / unlock / root # by efrant

10. [NEXUS 4 TOOLKIT] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE by mskip

11. [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit by WugFresh
    hey guys sorry for asking this but I try to get titanium back up pro from blackmart alpha. first I download the free version from blackmart alpha and then I download the pro key. but after I install it, the pro key is not working. any idea why? it also happen to app like nova launcher prime :confused:

please help me :eek:

thx

Buy it.
    Linaro is not only in the kernels, I believe it is a compiler and it's "hot" with new roms right now. There's a feature with Google Talk, if you use Talk as your voicemail, you're able to play the voicemail in the call log screen without going to Talk app. Linaro breaks it due to audio libs or something alike.

In all seriousness now, how do I install ios 6 on my nexus 4?
    /s

1. Get iPhone 5
    2. Place N4 next to it
    3. Drop a brick on iPhone
    4. Watch it's soul leave the body and transfer to N4
    5. Success rate infinity/1

No no no, I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm a grammar Commie!
    Hello everyone, I'm pretty much new to XDA and modding in general. I own a Nexus 4 and I wanted to flash the Paranoid Android ROM.

My two cents;

1. Learn how to use adb and stay away from toolkits. They work brilliantly but opaquely and it's in your best interest to know what's happening with your phones firmware in detail.

2. Don't do anything until you learn how to make, store and restore nandroid backups. The N4 is virtually unbrickable and PA is rock solid after the 4.3 merge.

I'm a novice as well but modding is fascinating to me. Since my only phone is also a business phone I usually wait till Friday to flash new software so I have time to restore in the event of problems. Hasn't happened yet. Have fun.