[GUIDE] Changing lockscreen and clock font.

Search This thread

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
I just wanted to give you guys who aren't proficient with modding themselves a chance to change the lockscreen and taskbar clock font (which I personally don't like) to in this case match the rest of the honeycomb fonts.

The end result of this quick guide:

muf6i.png

First you will need to have adb set up, if you don't know how to set up adb follow the guide http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/06/how-to-set-up-adb-usb-drivers-for-android-devices/ to get adb up and running.

Requirements:

• adb
  • Asus PC Sync Software link
  • USB Debugging turned on in settings
  • a .ttf font file (only required if you want another font than used in the guide)

Step one: pulling the original clock files for back up

We'll start simple, the idea here is that if you ever want to revert back to the original font, you will have a back up of the font just in case. Lucky for you I will however also be providing a back up of the original font files at the end of this post.

1. Open up cmd (or terminal on OSX).
  2. navigate to your android-sdk\tools folder through the terminal (if you do not know how to do this check the adb set up guide linked earlier in this post).
  3. Now to allow modification of the system files we will enter the command "adb remount".
  4. Now we will pull the font files which are located within /system/fonts/ by entering these 3 commands: "adb pull /system/fonts/AndroidClock.ttf", "adb pull /system/fonts/AndroidClock_Highlight.ttf", "adb pull /system/fonts/AndroidClock_Solid.ttf"
  5. On your computer go to the android-sdk/tools folder and move the AndroidClock, AndroidClock_Solid and AndroidClock_Highlight to wherever you want to store these (these are the original back up) and make sure to remove them from the android-sdk\tools folder.

--------------------------

Step two: replacing the original clock font with your own

In this step we will pull the font used for all the other type in honeycomb called DroidSans and replace the original clock font files with this font as to fool honeycomb into thinking it is actually the original font.

1. while having adb open, enter the command "adb pull /system/fonts/DroidSans.ttf".
  2. Now navigate to your android-sdk\tools folder again and make 3 copies of DroidSans.ttf in the tools folder.
  3. Name one of the files AndroidClock, name another AndroidClock_Solid, and name the last AndroidClock_Highlight.
  4. now go back to adb and enter these 3 commands: "adb push AndroidClock_Solid.ttf /system/fonts/", "adb push AndroidClock.ttf /system/fonts/", "adb push AndroidClock_Highlight.ttf /system/fonts/".
  5. Reboot your transformer and voila you're done.

If you want to replace the lockscreen font with your own font and not DroidSans, simply skip bullet point 1 and 2 of step 2 and copy your own .ttf font file to your android-sdk\tools folder and make 3 copies of that.

I hope you guys enjoy this guide, and if you have any suggestions as how to simplify this guide even further, feel free to post your suggestion.

EDIT: the original font files are in the .zip file!

Last edited:

N23

Mar 29, 2007
Don't forget to remount /system as rw ("mount -o rw,remount /system") so you can modify the font files.

Q.Entity

Nov 17, 2010
Dallas
THANKS!!!

Those fonts were not cool! Not only it looks great but I learned how to change fonts!

Thanks again! (Thanks button clicked)

SonicTab

Nov 25, 2010
Very well written guide, just one question does the tablet need to be rooted to change fonts?

ksporry

Jun 1, 2008
I assume that the clock font provided here is the same font as the other text on the home page?
The only question I have is, can I change the colour of the font as well? I'd like it to have the same colour as the buttons. It would also be interesting to change the colour of the wifi and battery indicator. Even better if that could change depending on the level! So for example, when battery and wifi are indicating low(er), they change to yellow/orange/red progressively. I guess this is possible but would require some additional programming to link to different graphics/icons (assuming the software utilises a lookup table approach, rather than logical equations...)

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
I assume that the clock font provided here is the same font as the other text on the home page?
The only question I have is, can I change the colour of the font as well? I'd like it to have the same colour as the buttons. It would also be interesting to change the colour of the wifi and battery indicator. Even better if that could change depending on the level! So for example, when battery and wifi are indicating low(er), they change to yellow/orange/red progressively. I guess this is possible but would require some additional programming to link to different graphics/icons (assuming the software utilises a lookup table approach, rather than logical equations...)

you'd have to edit the image files in the framework files, which is a whole lot more complicated than this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just wanted to give you guys who aren't proficient with modding themselves a chance to change the lockscreen and taskbar clock font (which I personally don't like) to in this case match the rest of the honeycomb fonts.

The end result of this quick guide:

muf6i.png

First you will need to have adb set up, if you don't know how to set up adb follow the guide http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/06/how-to-set-up-adb-usb-drivers-for-android-devices/ to get adb up and running.

Requirements:

• adb
    • Asus PC Sync Software link
    • USB Debugging turned on in settings
    • a .ttf font file (only required if you want another font than used in the guide)

Step one: pulling the original clock files for back up

We'll start simple, the idea here is that if you ever want to revert back to the original font, you will have a back up of the font just in case. Lucky for you I will however also be providing a back up of the original font files at the end of this post.

1. Open up cmd (or terminal on OSX).
    2. navigate to your android-sdk\tools folder through the terminal (if you do not know how to do this check the adb set up guide linked earlier in this post).
    3. Now to allow modification of the system files we will enter the command "adb remount".
    4. Now we will pull the font files which are located within /system/fonts/ by entering these 3 commands: "adb pull /system/fonts/AndroidClock.ttf", "adb pull /system/fonts/AndroidClock_Highlight.ttf", "adb pull /system/fonts/AndroidClock_Solid.ttf"
    5. On your computer go to the android-sdk/tools folder and move the AndroidClock, AndroidClock_Solid and AndroidClock_Highlight to wherever you want to store these (these are the original back up) and make sure to remove them from the android-sdk\tools folder.

--------------------------

Step two: replacing the original clock font with your own

In this step we will pull the font used for all the other type in honeycomb called DroidSans and replace the original clock font files with this font as to fool honeycomb into thinking it is actually the original font.

1. while having adb open, enter the command "adb pull /system/fonts/DroidSans.ttf".
    2. Now navigate to your android-sdk\tools folder again and make 3 copies of DroidSans.ttf in the tools folder.
    3. Name one of the files AndroidClock, name another AndroidClock_Solid, and name the last AndroidClock_Highlight.
    4. now go back to adb and enter these 3 commands: "adb push AndroidClock_Solid.ttf /system/fonts/", "adb push AndroidClock.ttf /system/fonts/", "adb push AndroidClock_Highlight.ttf /system/fonts/".
    5. Reboot your transformer and voila you're done.

If you want to replace the lockscreen font with your own font and not DroidSans, simply skip bullet point 1 and 2 of step 2 and copy your own .ttf font file to your android-sdk\tools folder and make 3 copies of that.

I hope you guys enjoy this guide, and if you have any suggestions as how to simplify this guide even further, feel free to post your suggestion.

EDIT: the original font files are in the .zip file!
    is it possible to load it up somewhere else, cause I cant get it on Dropbox.. would be nice

Attached... Found it on Google.
    I cant find the asus pc sync. Here or on asus website

Go to the transformer product page on the asus website then to the download tab (http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/#download), select your OS and it should be under utilities.

is it possible to load it up somewhere else, cause I cant get it on Dropbox.. would be nice

Sure, here it is!