[KERNEL][CM9][1/29/12] Icy Glitch V14 - BETA - LiveOC - Voodoo - DIDLE - USBhost

Search This thread

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
if you use the one in the OP you will break your sensors. You need to use the Efpophis fixed test build floating around. Do not use the big ram kernel. It will break video and camcorder on the ths builds.

Just out of curiosity why are you guys waiting for THS builds when our kangs have the newest frameworks, all the glitch tweaks and kernel, and did I mention at least 47MB (or ~15%) more ram?

Sent from my Glitched AOKP Unicorn.

I don't understand it either. There are no options on ths. It's plain vanilla. And with all being equal, that would be a valid choice. But there not anymore. With the extra ram the phone is all around more responsive, and you don't need to use the aokp modifications If the plain old ics is what your looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

Reactions: Stephen.k.spear

Stephen.k.spear

Jul 12, 2011
West Palm Beach
I don't understand it either. There are no options on ths. It's plain vanilla. And with all being equal, that would be a valid choice. But there not anymore. With the extra ram the phone is all around more responsive, and you don't need to use the aokp modifications If the plain old ics is what your looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

yeah the ths builds literally don't have anything the kangs don't. But the kangs got glitchy goodness.

Aali1011

Nov 9, 2010
if you use the one in the OP you will break your sensors. You need to use the Efpophis fixed test build floating around. Do not use the big ram kernel. It will break video and camcorder on the ths builds.

Just out of curiosity why are you guys waiting for THS builds when our kangs have the newest frameworks, all the glitch tweaks and kernel, and did I mention at least 47MB (or ~15%) more ram?

Honestly i have no reasons what so ever and will try it infact. While following the THS thread a couple people have come and gone complaining about other ICS builds for the phone in comparison. Obviously results will vary from user to user. That was a slight sway away for me. Other then that for what THS was providing me I was happy. But i will give it a shot come tomorrow and see how it goes.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Honestly i have no reasons what so ever and will try it infact. While following the THS thread a couple people have come and gone complaining about other ICS builds for the phone in comparison. Obviously results will vary from user to user. That was a slight sway away for me. Other then that for what THS was providing me I was happy. But i will give it a shot come tomorrow and see how it goes.

I would take in great consideration whos information your reading...AOKP is the best rom ever for our device. THS was a great stepping stone in the begining, but AOKP is much improved. Think of THS as the old vanilla gingerbread(much improved of course) and AOKP is the new and improved cm7(which is now cm9)

shag_on_e

Sep 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So, with all the new hype and as far as it's come, I'm wondering if it would be possible to incorporate Team Win's recovery for us as opposed to the CW based one. I'm sure it would cause much work, just curious if it's possible.

~~~~There is no spoon~~~~

ssewk2x

Oct 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
So, with all the new hype and as far as it's come, I'm wondering if it would be possible to incorporate Team Win's recovery for us as opposed to the CW based one. I'm sure it would cause much work, just curious if it's possible.

If you'd like to point me to where I can find this recovery and source code for it, I can check it out at some point.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Also, I wanted to report that I just observed some .. interesting .. behavior related to Fast Charge. I'm posting it in the kernel thread since fast charge is a feature of the kernel.

Anyway, I was just fiddling with my phone, and I needed to ADB for something. So I shut off fast charge and plugged in, and everything was great. When I was done, I used NSTools to toggle fast charge off, exited NStools, waited a few seconds, and plugged my USB in. It says "USB connected," wtf?? Like fast charge wasn't on.

So, I adb into my phone to check on a few things. I look at the sysfs interface, and it says that fast charge is enabled, yet I'm looking at it through ADB, which should be disabled if fast charge was really on. So what the heck? I poke around at a couple other things I wanted to check in the meantime, like callboost, init.d permissions, etc., when all the sudden, my ADB shell exits, the device disconnects from my computer, and it starts fast charging. This was at least 30 sec to a minute AFTER I had toggled fast charge back on.

So I guess the moral of the story is, "when toggling fast-charge back on, patience is a virtue, but it will eventually work."

Reactions: k_nivesout

sixstringsg

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 11, 2009
Dallas, TX

Team Win isn't available for the Galaxy S as far as I know.

shag_on_e

Sep 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If you'd like to point me to where I can find this recovery and source code for it, I can check it out at some time

Here is the source for TW. They officially support the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, and some others. I didn't see any Galaxy S devices but it would be sick to see that change. The recovery is insane with features.

https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project

Here is their website...

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Last edited:

sixstringsg

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 11, 2009
Dallas, TX
If you'd like to point me to where I can find this recovery and source code for it, I can check it out at some time

Here is the source for TW. They officially support the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, and some others. I didn't see any Galaxy S devices but it would be sick to see that change. The recovery is insane with features.

https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project

Here is their website...

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

They tried to get on Galaxy S, and quit due to some technical difficulties.

Reactions: shag_on_e

sarkozy

Feb 8, 2011
While it's nice for sure, you're talking about a proverbial re-inventing of the wheel (I'm exaggerating slightly, but it's a PITA) to get that to work properly on the phone, especially considering the differences between AOSP and non-AOSP stuff.

shag_on_e

Sep 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
They tried to get on Galaxy S, and quit due to some technical difficulties.

Bummer. Anyway, moving on.

Edit: I've also found settings that seem to eliminate echo using callboost. Set in-call boost to 0 and mic gain to 10. I'm sure it's been discovered by others but I'm sharing again since I've been seeing folks ask again. This works perfectly, I can hear great and the other side gets no echo, or its either so low it can't be heard.

Last edited:
Reactions: gt43aw

gt43aw

Jan 4, 2012
Bummer. Anyway, moving on.

Edit: I've also found settings that seem to eliminate echo using callboost. Set in-call boost to 0 and mic gain to 10. I'm sure it's been discovered by others but I'm sharing again since I've been seeing folks ask again. This works perfectly, I can hear great and the other side gets no echo, or its either so low it can't be heard.

Thanks. I didn't have these settings. When I run callboost in aokp I see there are 4 in call boost settings all set to 2 as default and 4 mic gain settings set between 18 and 28 as default.

Are you saying you set all 4 in calls boost settings from 2 to 0 and all mic gain settings to 10 and that works? That would be great. Anybody else have good tips on settings. That would basically make ics roms dominant.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA

Last edited:

bobloblaw1

May 25, 2010
Are you saying you set all 4 in calls boost settings from 2 to 0 and all mic gain settings to 10 and that works? That would be great. Anybody else have good tips on settings. That would basically make ics roms dominant.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA

I would deduce that he meant to change the setting to 0 where the problem exists and not where it doesn't. That would be 0 for the SPK boost value and leave the others the same... but he wasn't 100% clear.

shag_on_e

Sep 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I would deduce that he meant to change the setting to 0 where the problem exists and not where it doesn't. That would be 0 for the SPK boost value and leave the others the same... but he wasn't 100% clear.

Exactly. Once you've enabled it you can also change the values in the init.d script, either way only lower the speaker related values. The echo is almost completely gone like this, and makes for a useable speaker phone once again. I love this kernel.

gt43aw

Jan 4, 2012
Exactly. Once you've enabled it you can also change the values in the init.d script, either way only lower the speaker related values. The echo is almost completely gone like this, and makes for a useable speaker phone once again. I love this kernel.

Ok, i've set In-call bost for SPK to 0 from 2 and MIC gain for SPK from 18 to 10. i'm on a plane right now, but i gotta say, i'm pretty excited to try this out....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    These kernels are provided as-is without warranty. I'm not responsible for any problem you can encounter with your phone or if your cat suddenly dies.
    Although, don't expect support even if I will eventually help since I love cats.

icyglitch.png

Note : These kernels are only compatible with CyanogenMod 9 based roms.
    Use them on any other rom at your own risks.

Overview :
    - 3.1.9 linux base
    - LiveOC
    - Custom Voltage
    - Battery Life eXtender
    - DIDLE v2
    - Voodoo Sound 10
    - PMFAST mode for best wifi performance
    - USB host mode support
    - Various tweaks for more speed and battery saving

CHANGELOGS IN #2 POST

By default, no overclock/undervolt is applied.

You'll need NSTools to use/enable all the features of this kernel.
    (Available for free on the Android market)

Downloads

Glitch kernel (CWM flashable only)
    Glitch Kernel Updater app now available on the Android market to support us !

Do you want to discuss on this kernel, get the fresh news on development, or become a kernel tester ?

Join the IRC channel from your web browser
    herehttp://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=glitchkernel ! No registration needed :)
    Make sure the channel is "#glitchkernel" and you're set.

For those who already have an IRC client,
    here is the server : irc.freenode.net
    port : 6667
    Channel : #glitchkernel

-------------------------
    Source :
    - Glitch repo : https://github.com/organizations/Glitchkernel

Who is the Glitch team ?
    - Kernel developement : ssewk2x & Tk-Glitch.
    - Public relations / web hosting : Sixstringsg.
    - Recovery: Stephen.k.spear, Smasher816, sixstringsg
    - App developement : Smasher816.
    - Extreme overclocking testing : Shaolin95
    - Beta testers team, with members coming and leaving :D

Credits :
    Pawitp, jt1134, Morfic, Ezekeel, Zacharias.maladroit, Supercurio, lippol94, sztupy, Eugene373, Franciscofranco

Thanks to the donators and everyone bying the Glitch Kernel Updater app from the market, it's much appreciated and encourages us to continue our work !

Thanks to the beta testers team and to everyone helping me to debug and find new useful things to integrate !

Without all of you, this kernel wouldn't be !​
    TWRP is coming very very soon.
    Don't look now, but i put up a new skunkworks kernel.

Changelog:

1. added the ability to run scripts at shutdown. If you want your phone to run a script on shutdown, place it in /system/etc/shutdown.d and make sure it has the right permissions (same as init.d). I did this so I could have my phone play a nice shutdown sound like I used to have way back when. There's a script there to do that, but it should be off by default. If you want a shutdown sound, you have 3 options:
    a. place your audio file here: /system/media/audio/ui/shutdown.ogg
    b. place your audio file here: /data/media/audio/ui/shutdown.ogg
    c. place the path to your audio file inside a file called /data/misc/shutdown_sound

Note that C overrides B overrides A. Here's the shutdown.ogg I use: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28682151/shutdown.ogg

2. In my progress towards a working torch, I stumbled upon a fix / hack for the camcorder light. You can now turn the flash on / off manually within the camcorder app. Now I just need to fix the ROM to do the same thing when you hit the torch button somewhere else. That's harder than it sounds. I'm working on it.

3. Not terribly relevant, but I turned on debug information in the camera driver, and left it on. The effect of this is you have a slightly larger kernel, it might be just a tiny little smidge slower when using the camera due to the extra text IO, and your dmesg logs will have a bunch of extra info when you use the camera. Honestly, this was a little bit of an oversight on my part, and I just forgot to shut it off before I built the kernel. Shouldn't be a huge deal, tho, I'll get it in the next one.
    Androtransfer is back up to the speeds you all know and love. If you want to know more about why, read on.
    So, I've always been quite an open developer, so I'm going to explain what's been happening. Outside of Glitch, stevespear46 and I have been working on adding more open-source support (Such as Gummy, CNA, and AOKP) to the Galaxy S line. That, combined with already high downloads of this kernel (~18,000 per release last I measured) and other developers that I host for, creates quite a bit of traffic. Specifically, 5.25TB so far this month, and it's only the 12th. My hosting company (currently OVH) didn't inform me of this, but instead capped my bandwidth to 8mb/s, which was problematic considering the server runs at 125mb/s pretty much constantly. So, what's being done to fix it: recently I was donated a server by bytemark hosting for first of all a buildbot, but secondly for hosting (for more information see http://glitchteam.com) I do not have bandwidth caps with them. Therefore, every android file for anything I host will be automatically mirrored between two dedicated servers until at least when my OVH lease is up.

What this means for users: If you are a ROM dev that needs hosting, hit me up, I can help. For regular users, downloads will only be limited by your internet connection, never by the server. Which means, I can download a ROM on my connection in 32 seconds.