Streaming from phone that is also the Chromecast's hotspot/connection

Search This thread

ArkAngel06

Jun 18, 2010
So, at work I don't have internet, but I have my phone, and I have a chromecast on the tv. I use my phones hotspot all the time for my ipad and laptop with no problem. I have my chromecast setup on my Nexus 5's hotspot as it's internet connection. It works fine if I use my ipad to push content to the chromecast, but on the phone, all apps hide the chromecast option.

So basically the chromecast is invisible to the Nexus 5. I guess because the Nexus 5 is technically the Chromecast's router, and not a fellow client. There are a lot more apps that have chromecast support, so to get this working from my phone would be great. Is there a way?

313dash

Oct 7, 2009
Detroit, MI
I use my phone hotspot and play videos all the time. You can use video caster and chrome beta. I tried Netflix and Youtube but didn't have any luck.

Nexus5 Exp. 5.5 for N4

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I would think that putting the phone into tether mode changes the way the networking works and would prevent it from making direct outgoing connections to anything other than the Internet.

I could be dead wrong however.

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010
The problem with Hotspot/tether is that the Chomecast can't see the phone because of AP isolation built into Android. Chromecast or any "client' connected to the hotspot can see the Internet as that is what hotspot is for; connecting clients to the Internet... If you connect a second client to the hotspot I believe it can see an control Chromecast..

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
The problem with Hotspot/tether is that the Chomecast can't see the phone because of AP isolation built into Android. Chromecast or any "client' connected to the hotspot can see the Internet as that is what hotspot is for; connecting clients to the Internet... If you connect a second client to the hotspot I believe it can see an control Chromecast..

Right.... basically the phone is not on the Tether IP subnet and therefore can not communicate with any device that has a Tether IP address. So Android itself has no access to this subnet it is just internet connection sharing with that subnet.

Not exactly a perfect technical description of what is going on but in the ballpark.
Only the App that is doing the tethering is actually seeing the Tether IP the rest of the phone has no access to it.

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
Put the phone into hotspot mode, use your tablet to navigate and play. I've done it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

techjohnny

Aug 25, 2008
So, at work I don't have internet, but I have my phone, and I have a chromecast on the tv. I use my phones hotspot all the time for my ipad and laptop with no problem. I have my chromecast setup on my Nexus 5's hotspot as it's internet connection. It works fine if I use my ipad to push content to the chromecast, but on the phone, all apps hide the chromecast option.

So basically the chromecast is invisible to the Nexus 5. I guess because the Nexus 5 is technically the Chromecast's router, and not a fellow client. There are a lot more apps that have chromecast support, so to get this working from my phone would be great. Is there a way?

I've been able to use AVIA in the configuration you're referring to.