(Unofficial) LG G Flex custom ROM and recovery Development (for all US variants)

Search This thread

PhantomThiefX

Feb 8, 2014
You loose recovery because stock requires recovery as a binary in sbin for the ramdisk. LG made it even more complicated to get the recovery.

Sent from my Boosted Zee

I'm having the same issue as D with both customs. So if LG made it more difficult than how do we get around it? Both the developers that have supposedly gotten around it won't reply to the PM that I have sent them and if they won't answer the questions that I have posed, and LG won't answer my request for bootloader unlock then we need to start working to resolve this issue. So where do we start?

will0899

Dec 2, 2011
Bakersfield
Wondering if a f340k kdz could be flashed on u.s. version with lg restore tool. Then a custom recovery could be installed. Just throwing that out there because on the lg l9 some people got their bootloader unlocked using similar method.

Example:

Flash international kdz, root, install recovery, enter unlock bootloader command thru adb.

Sent from my LG-D959 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
I don't know a whole lot about recoveries or boot loaders for that matter but I believe the boot loader goes a little deeper than just the kdz. Or some form or software / firmware that makes the ability to restore with another variant useless to keep this from being an option. I may be wrong but for risk of sounding like a smart*$$, and not trying to be at all, we would have been doing that all along with pretty much every brand, make, model, etc. That would be way to easy for the general public to get by their bootloader. Or to be able to restore on a different carrier's variant to jump ship and go with another network.

I could be wrong though...

Sent from my LG-D959 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

AndroidUser00110001

Aug 16, 2011
NYC
Wondering if a f340k kdz could be flashed on u.s. version with lg restore tool. Then a custom recovery could be installed. Just throwing that out there because on the lg l9 some people got their bootloader unlocked using similar method.

Example:

Flash international kdz, root, install recovery, enter unlock bootloader command thru adb.

Sent from my LG-D959 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No but part of the boot chain might be able to be used from the F340. This is my idea which we used for the G2 when KK update came to the AT&T version.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51558599&postcount=121

G Flex (D950) has the loki exploit patched. So the only way we are going to get recovery is if someone finds a new exploit or the method I mentioned works...

imitenotbecrazy

Nov 9, 2011
Kind of disappointing this hasn't gone very far. HTC is going to be doing a retail sales trade in for certain employees and I may go to the M8 if this isn't solved by then. Shame cuz I love the Flex but there's a lot that needs to be cleaned up that just root can't fix.

sent from the new G Flex

Reactions: imarq and wase4711

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
That's understandable, as they are both great phones..

Before coming to T-MO, my wife and son had one's, and I had a one max, so I know how sweet that phone is, and the M8 improvements make it about perfect.

Reactions: imarq

imarq

Jan 3, 2010
Chattanooga
Yeah that m8 is nice. I got to play with one a week ago when they came to our call center. If they come out with an all new HTC max m8..I'm all over it.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

Reactions: wase4711

tomthedancingbug

Apr 27, 2013
DC
Kind of disappointing this hasn't gone very far. HTC is going to be doing a retail sales trade in for certain employees and I may go to the M8 if this isn't solved by then. Shame cuz I love the Flex but there's a lot that needs to be cleaned up that just root can't fix.

sent from the new G Flex

i say go for it, the 2014 one will have a ton of development on it

lg is hell bent on locking everything down

imitenotbecrazy

Nov 9, 2011
I'm definitely going to be getting a One as the trade in thing is too good to pass up. It's just a difference of trade in a nexus 4 and put out of pocket a little money or trade in flex and get it for free. Samsung already told me they're giving me an S5 so I'll be getting that in a few weeks too

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
After some researching I'm going for the one+one. 3gigs of ram. Snapdragon 801 quad core clocked at 2.5 MHz 64 gig internal. Comes unlocked carrier and boot loader. Cyanogenmod built the stock OS out of the box. 5.5" 1080 display there's a reason why its called the flagship killer.

phillip_viado

Jul 22, 2010
Las Vegas
After some researching I'm going for the one+one. 3gigs of ram. Snapdragon 801 quad core clocked at 2.5 MHz 64 gig internal. Comes unlocked carrier and boot loader. Cyanogenmod built the stock OS out of the box. 5.5" 1080 display there's a reason why its called the flagship killer.

i would of gotten that along time ago its just so hard to get, since the only way to get is still the invite system.

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ

And, read the reviews about the yellow banding on the screen, overheating, and weird reboots.. remember, its CM11 ONLY, so you need to be ok with that for as long as you own the phone. And, if you have issues with it, there is no support..

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
There's a ton of ROMs. As well as I can build aosp for it. Boot loader unlocked.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

9aby2ane.jpg
2a9e4a2a.jpg
7a2evy2u.jpg

Last edited:

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
do you have any invites you can give out?
I wish I had one myself I just discovered the one plus one for real the other day. And registered on their website yesterday. So I'm eagerly waiting myself. And those screen shots were just the first page. There was several pages of development. Gsmarena said it's the most highly customizable and sure to be the most developed phone yet. And with Cyanogenmod supporting it, it's sure to be the smoothest. I read somewhere else that since it's not carrier specific and it's ota's will come down the pipe from CM that it will most likely be the first phone to get updates. Even before the nexus devices.

JimmyMcFallon

Dec 15, 2013
ONE

And, read the reviews about the yellow banding on the screen, overheating, and weird reboots.. remember, its CM11 ONLY, so you need to be ok with that for as long as you own the phone. And, if you have issues with it, there is no support..

NOTHING YOU JUST SAID ABOUT ONEPLUS IS CORRECT. 1ST YOU CAN THROW ANY OS ON THIS DEVICE AS LONG AS ITS COMPATIBLE . THE YELLOW BANDING HAS ONLY HAPPENED TO FEW PEOPLE AND TO THOSE WITH THAT PROBLEM THERE IS NOW A SOLUTION. (Oneplus forums) THE PHONE GETS HOT WITH HEAVY USE JUST LIKE ANY OTHER SMARTPHONE.
REBOOTS?? No NOT AT ALL. MY EXPERIENCE WITH ONEPLUS AND THE.SUPPORT I RECIEVED FROM THEM HAS BEEN NOTHINGS LESS THEM AMAZING. THE OPO IS.THE. BEST PHONE IVE EVER.OWENED PERIOD. SORRY FOR MY RANT,CAPS, AND PUNCTUATION.

THHHAANKK YOU!
I❤MY ONEPLUS ONE. DONT TALK **** HO.

Reactions: mattwheat

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I am newer to the development for custom recoveries for LG phones. Knowing that the loki is still locked it doesn't mean we can't start working on some new ROM's and the custom recoveries for the phone. So I thought I would open this up so that we can start working on it together on what we are all waiting for: custom recovery with a cool ROM and modding some of the features and apks that came with the phone (quick remote, q slide, etc.).
    I am starting with the TWRP and CM that have been made for the G2 in the hopes that it won't take as long to develop. Would making a repo on github be the easiest way to host the code and have source control? I look forward to working and learning from those who choose to participate.

-PhantomThiefX
    nice too see you here man, loved your work on the Note 2! :good:

Thank you my friend nice to see you here too ?. I just got my flex yesterday i hope this weekend i will try to make cwm to work and try to bypass loki
    ?
    Working in the recovery... I'm awaiting the admin to install some dependencies to compile it.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk
    So rumors have started about a bootloader unlock for the American variants and as soon as I know more on a release I will let them post it first then I will post it here.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk
    You loose recovery because stock requires recovery as a binary in sbin for the ramdisk. LG made it even more complicated to get the recovery.

Sent from my Boosted Zee

I'm having the same issue as D with both customs. So if LG made it more difficult than how do we get around it? Both the developers that have supposedly gotten around it won't reply to the PM that I have sent them and if they won't answer the questions that I have posed, and LG won't answer my request for bootloader unlock then we need to start working to resolve this issue. So where do we start?