i9000 screen problem

Search This thread

romhunter

Aug 26, 2010
Hi all,

Got the Galaxy S for a month, pretty happy with it. Yesterday, the brightness suddenly gone up. The worst part is the display lost the gradient scaling and it is replaced by colour bands!

Apps like the stock video player for example. Before the video is played, you can see the grey control bar at the bottom covers by a lot of colour bands. The colour of the movie is all washed out as if you were playing it in 8 bit colour mode. Where the same avi played okay before, crystal clear and colour was rich.

Same thing with the charging screen while the phone is off. You can see the colour bands on the grey area of the shadow of the green battery. Just wondering if anyone has the same problem?

Cheers!

romhunter

Aug 26, 2010
Pretty certain it is. I took a screenshot of the video player and it looks fine but on the screen, you can still see those colour bands meters away.

I guess this indicates the LCD is faulty.

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
The galaxy s has no LCD its LED :p

Ive noticed when you slide down that tray from the top, when closing it mine has MANY TIMES switched to full brightness. But simply tapping the brightness button on the multi widget thingy makes it go back to how I want.

Thats because you can adjust the brightness by sliding your finger accross the notification bar.... doesnt work if you have auto brightness ticked...

radat

Aug 26, 2010
Hi I have the exact same problem! But I didn't notice it before now wen I saw this thread. But all the colours are just fine when I play a vid, it's just the grey controlbar that is by many stripes of different colours, looks like 8bit colour. But when the vid starts playing its just fine, because it gets transparent. Should I get this phone changed, have just had it a couple of weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

miki4242

Jun 5, 2009
romhunter,

yup, saw the screenshots, looks like quantization problem i.e. that colours are using fewer bits than normal. For example, RGB screen might use 24 bits per pixel, 8 bits per r/g/b colour, the screenshots seem to suggest only 5 or 6 bits per colour.
Hopefully this is just a software glitch, though you said you already tried factory reset / wipe, could it be a loose cable wire somewhere or maybe a problem with the screen to mainboard connector?

Last edited:

radat

Aug 26, 2010
On my sgs, there is a green colour attached to to the grey colours, I can see it really good when using Screen test app on the gray scale screen, all grey is sort of green!

AnnihilatorSC

Apr 17, 2008
Hi all,
Got the Galaxy S for a month, pretty happy with it. Yesterday, the brightness suddenly gone up. The worst part is the display lost the gradient scaling and it is replaced by colour bands!
Cheers!
Just got a brand new device. Used it for about an hour, then the exact same thing happened - out of the blue.
Any possible home-front solutions? Having to take it to be serviced is a PITA for me ATM.

Last edited:

ssj4Gogeta1

Aug 15, 2010
Mine definitely seems to have banding in the video player control pane before the video playback starts. Can someone please post a screenshot of how it should be? I haven't seen the banding issue anywhere else except the battery charging indicator when charging the phone when it's turned off. And as far as I remember they were always like that.
So can someone please post a screenshot of how it should be for me to compare.

victor79

Jul 23, 2008
I have the same problem appeared after upgrading to Froyo. Brightness increased (even it is high in the lowest setting) and color saturation also increased. As a result, i see bandings or lines where a color gradient exist. I added an example photo from "Samsung Apps" page. You can easily see bandings on the bottom. I see such things in a PC screen if color adjustment is not optimum. So there must be a way to adjust screen saturation and brightness by a software through registry i think. It seems like a software problem. I think it is a very rare problem, i found few people on the web complaining about it. Mostly HTC Desire, which use also Samsung Amoled screen, users complaining about it.
I did everything said on forums to solve it but no way. I flashed many different roms both eclair and froyo, use a software given in HTC forums to change RGB color, changed color settings through video player etc. Nothing worked. Please help

Attachments

• SANY0173.jpg
    SANY0173.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 139

ll_l_x_l_ll

Sep 1, 2007
I have the same problem appeared after upgrading to Froyo. Brightness increased (even it is high in the lowest setting) and color saturation also increased. As a result, i see bandings or lines where a color gradient exist. I added an example photo from "Samsung Apps" page. You can easily see bandings on the bottom. I see such things in a PC screen if color adjustment is not optimum. So there must be a way to adjust screen saturation and brightness by a software through registry i think. It seems like a software problem. I think it is a very rare problem, i found few people on the web complaining about it. Mostly HTC Desire, which use also Samsung Amoled screen, users complaining about it.
I did everything said on forums to solve it but no way. I flashed many different roms both eclair and froyo, use a software given in HTC forums to change RGB color, changed color settings through video player etc. Nothing worked. Please help

I looked at ur pic. I honestly dont see any problem with it. What is this banding ur talking about?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

victor79

Jul 23, 2008
Bottom of the screen, around "2010 Samsungs Electronics". This part should be a smooth color transition from blue to transparent but there are circular lines between colors. Is your screen the same.

victor79

Jul 23, 2008
Another example. The one on the phone looks white on the upper part where a color transition from dark to light black exist and there are visible lines. But normally it was looking like the other picture (taken from notebook screen) before this problem

Attachments

• SANY0175.jpg
    SANY0175.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 90
  • SANY0174.jpg
    SANY0174.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 84

compuse

Oct 21, 2008
ah on that screen i already see 8 shades of blue, most be around 4k colors .. bummer though, it's normally a software problem, doubt that a conector has come loose. (but possible if it's a pimped up composite plug with Y/Pr/Pb, .. eh still impossible cos it's getting decoded before that)