[RECOVERY][TWRP&CWM][Updated: 6-Feb-2013]Stock Kernel on Official Jellybean

Search This thread

Notopic1

Feb 9, 2011
Volume Down button, when logo apears.

Also got a question.

When i want to use adb i getting a error.
adb reboot bootloader
Can't find the message for message number 0x2331 in the Application.

And becouse the search function is not working i can't find te answer.

Last edited:

Polomotion

Feb 20, 2010
The wake bar, is still continous, gives the idea that the phone will not fall asleep. And drain 15% in 3 hours.

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
i've fastboot flash boot mint489stock.img ..but no root :( .what's the problem?

The idea is for recovery not root/modifications/insecure/etc. The kernel and the android ramdisk are 100% stock. The difference is that it can load a recovery ramdisk, however you can root by flashing the supersu root update zip using twrp.

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
First off: I'm doing everything on an unlocked bootloader.

This kernel image is based on stock using the FreeXperia ramdisk method of loading stock and recovery. It also includes the new FOTA partition trick by Dees_Troy for easy updates in the future to TWRP.
Only this kernel (or other modded ones) has the logics implemented to load an external recovery from the FOTAkernel partition, right? Provided this is true, flashing another kernel or another ROM might overwrite this kernel and leaves the device without an accessible recovery, given the "new" kernel has no included recovery, correct?

If you open goomanager and in the menu select the option "Install OpenRecoveryScript" that should update the FOTAKernel partition with official TWRP.
So the TWRP build on goo, loadble via goomanager, gets loaded onto the FOTAkernel partition on our devices? This basically let's us update the recovery independently from the kernel? Awesome! :highfive:

But keep ketting a grey triangle even after factory reset.
Also keep loosing recovery.
Me too, yesterday evening. Unfortunately this didn't work:
let it be, leave if for a while and let it reboot.
I kept losing the modified kernel and thus the device booted with the SONY logo instead of the FXP boot logo and then either bootlooped or hang at the triangle screen, not doing anything obvious or visible. All I did was flash the deodexed JB build via TWRP, AFAIK that has no kernel included so it should't touch the kernel.

But now the triangle is on for about 20 min and nothing is hapening.
Had the same problem. I reckon it's TWRP damaging partitions or so. Right before or while the device refused to go through with the boot and kept hanging at the triangle screen, TWRP would log errors related to mounting /sdcard and such. I reckon TWRP either damages the partition right away (no unmount, unclean unmount, ...) or causes something similar which appears when switching back and forth between CM and stock, permission problems on the internal storage. It seems wiping internal storage gets rid of the triangle and let's the device boot. Very inconvenient though, having to wipe /sdcard after doing a simple zip flash operation.
I replaced TWRP with your CWM by flashing the .zip provided by the OP. I'll see if I can provoke the triangle again, but later, I'm at work and don't have my flashing equipment at hand...

Volume Down button, when logo apears.
Volume-...? Entering the recovery is Volume+ on my device while the FXP bootlogo is displayed... :confused: Same as always since I got the device running a recovery.

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
Only this kernel (or other modded ones) has the logics implemented to load an external recovery from the FOTAkernel partition, right? Provided this is true, flashing another kernel or another ROM might overwrite this kernel and leaves the device without an accessible recovery, given the "new" kernel has no included recovery, correct?

No, once you flash another kernel, or rom that includes another kernel this is replaced with whatever the new kernel is using. At present this is the only JB stock kernel to use this trick, anything that has been based on freexperia work (AFAIK AKOP, Paranoid Android, and CM thus far) support the same trick. Most custom kernels include some form of recovery trick.

So the TWRP build on goo, loadble via goomanager, gets loaded onto the FOTAkernel partition on our devices? This basically let's us update the recovery independently from the kernel? Awesome! :highfive:
Yes, Dees_Troy designed the solution for this very reason.

I kept losing the modified kernel and thus the device booted with the SONY logo instead of the FXP boot logo and then either bootlooped or hang at the triangle screen, not doing anything obvious or visible. All I did was flash the deodexed JB build via TWRP, AFAIK that has no kernel included so it should't touch the kernel.
It is pretty much guarenteed that the deodexed JB build you are flashing does include a kernel. There is quite simply no other possible way that you could lose the FXP boot logo.

Had the same problem. I reckon it's TWRP damaging partitions or so. Right before or while the device refused to go through with the boot and kept hanging at the triangle screen, TWRP would log errors related to mounting /sdcard and such. I reckon TWRP either damages the partition right away (no unmount, unclean unmount, ...) or causes something similar which appears when switching back and forth between CM and stock, permission problems on the internal storage.
There were reports of this happening on the JB leak by doomlord himself, I don't believe it is related to twrp as the leak was running entirely stock at that time.

Volume-...? Entering the recovery is Volume+ on my device while the FXP bootlogo is displayed... :confused: Same as always since I got the device running a recovery.

This is correct the script detects a volume-up keypress to enter recovery.

Reactions: schaggo and peetr_

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
It is pretty much guarenteed that the deodexed JB build you are flashing does include a kernel. There is quite simply no other possible way that you could lose the FXP boot logo.
My suspicion as well. I'll try to reproduce it once I get home, can't afford to have a bootlooping device at work ;)
Where does the logo come from btw? Is it already part of the kernel or part of the bootloader? That would imply you using a modified bootloader.
The following/later animation (colour swoosh) is part of the ROM, I know that.

cmajetic

Sep 6, 2011
Vienna
AW: [RECOVERY][TWRP&CWM][Updated: 6-Feb-2013]Stock Kernel on Official Jellybean

the kernel works flawlessly with stock odexed german generic ftf, have not tried another rom with it.

never had a triangle or other problems, flashed ftf > wiped internal storage (in storage settings) > factory reset > automatic reboot > put in download mode > flashed this kernel with fastboot.

no problems at all, flash the ftf first and then the modded kernel. I came from cm10 before I did all the steps mentioned.

Gesendet von meinem LT30p mit Tapatalk 2

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
My suspicion as well. I'll try to reproduce it once I get home, can't afford to have a bootlooping device at work ;)
Where does the logo come from btw? Is it already part of the kernel or part of the bootloader? That would imply you using a modified bootloader.

The logo comes from a file in the initial ramdisk

TiMiN8R

Oct 4, 2006

I can confirm that the rooted deodexed JB does indeed contain the stock kernel. I did it for convenience for locked bootloaders and also for UB because at the time DooMLorD's kernel was the only one with recovery but didn't have Wi-Fi. I didn't know it screwed up TWRP, I'll re-upload the version without kernel and put this information in the OP

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
There is some bug in TWRP. After some research, I found that factory reset in TWRP causes problems. I needed to do factory reset and install my rom.After booting the rom, I restored some data and restarted.
I got the triangle running for a long time. So I hard restarted to twrp and tried to mount data and cache without luck. Even in the log, there was written that data and cache could not be mounted.
I did this whole process maybe 4 times and then installed CWM. Did factory reset, booted, restarted a few times, restored some data, restarted and there was no problem anymore.
Maybe something with make_ext4_fs? And I did not try to reinstall TWRP, maybe this would also help...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: This has been deprecated in favour of LK for Xperia T

This kernel image is based on stock using the FreeXperia ramdisk method of loading stock and recovery. It also includes the new FOTA partition trick by Dees_Troy for easy updates in the future to TWRP.

Dees_Troy and I worked on figuring out the reason recovery binaries would not load on the stock kernel without patches, fixed this up in bionic, and rebuilt recovery linked against the fixed bionic.

F.A.Q

Q. The title says TWRP and CWM but when I boot recovery I only see TWRP. How do I get CWM?
    A. TWRP is the default recovery, if you want CWM you should download the CWM update.zip in the second post and flash it with twrp.

Technical Info

In 3.4 Qualcomm have changed the fb_var_screeninfo struct slightly. They have added an extra field called colorspace which increases the size of the stuct by __u32. When a binary linked against bionic tries to pass a struct the size of the old fb_var_screeninfo to kernelspace the application breaks as the kernel is expecting more data than it was given.

The patch to fix this in kernel solves the problem by removing one of the reserved fields, bringing the struct back to the same size it was prior to the new field being added. While this keeps compatibility with older recovery binaries, it does introduce the problem of needing a custom kernel to run recovery. Sony have not yet released source for 9.1.A.0.489 which means the kernel cannot be rebuilt without issues such as WiFi not working. The patch that Dees_Troy applied to the build system was to add the new colorspace field into the header for bionic which means the new recovery binary can run on an unmodified stock Sony kernel.

Flashing

Boot device in fastboot mode:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Flash image with fastboot:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot mint489stock.img

Source for TWRP available from here.​
    Updates:

1. Updated image in first post to fix bug where creating a backup would fail and crash twrp.
    2. Updated first post to show CWM in title and answer questions about how to get CWM.

Flashable zips:

In the first post it is mentioned about using the FOTAKernel trick by Dees_Troy to offer easy updates. The 2 zips attached to this post are examples of the ease of use.

flashCWM.zip - This will flash CWM to the FOTAKernel and replace TWRP as your recovery.
    flashTWRP.zip - This will flash TWRP to the FOTAKernel and replace TWRP that is built into the image that was flashed to your device by fastboot, or to replace CWM with TWRP again if you used the flashCWM.zip

This also makes updates easier as you do not need to replace the kernel image you currently have flashed to your device.
    Dees_Troy has updated TWRP to support jb.

You should keep the kernel installed from the first post as that has the trick required to load twrp from FOTAKernel.
    If you open goomanager and in the menu select the option "Install OpenRecoveryScript" that should update the FOTAKernel partition with official TWRP.
    only for unlocked bl, correct?

Yes

hi,
    i wanted to create with this version a backup, but it doesn't work.
    it was just created the folder system,
    the other folders such as data and boot not.
    the created folder system, that was created after backup, is empty.

the 'backup' also takes only a few seconds, then the 'backup' is done.

what have i done?
    installed the .img with instructions above.
    boot xt into recovery, push backup, select system, data & boot, choose destination folder and start backup.

where is my failure?

Same here....seems backup is not working
    the 'backup' also takes only a few seconds, then the 'backup' is done.

Updated first post with a fixed image.