Gear 2 First Impressions - use this thread for all observations

Search This thread

lightdelegate

Well I like my new watch. I dont use watch usually but this one is comfortable cause of the connection to my note 3.
Anyway, I really dont like that shutter sound for the camera that cannot be silence. Its like the history come back again. Again someone force me to have sounds I dont like ...
I wish I could take longer vids with the camera. Sad that its only 15 sec cause I think it doesnt help for anything at all.
About that tizen, I am sure it could have been beter with android cause then maybe more development of system custom roms.
Why the hell I cannot use go sms and samsung force me receive notifications only if I'm using the built in messaging app ?!?
Anyway I try my best to enjoy what we have ☺

Sent from my SM-P901 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fazdnoah

Jun 20, 2011
Shah Alam
Does not sync with shealth

I love everything about the Gear 2 except it doesnt sync with shealth
It sync with fitnes with gear
Now i have to use both exercise mate on my s4 and gear 2 to track my progress
Really dissapointed with samsung

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

I love everything about the Gear 2 except it doesnt sync with shealth
It sync with fitnes with gear
Now i have to use both exercise mate on my s4 and gear 2 to track my progress
Really dissapointed with samsung

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
The "always on" screen of the LG is intriguing and one of the things I miss about my Pebble. A smartwatch should be about convenience, and half the time the gesture doesn't turn the screen on and I hate reaching over to hit the button just to see the time.

I would be ok charging every night if someone could program an option for the Gear 2 to do a very thin font watchface w/ minimal info/graphics that was always on. Unfortunately with an AMOLED screen that might mean burn in and also annoying when in a dark place like a movie theater as even with the lowest screen brightness it can be distracting.

reynocum

May 8, 2014
Myth busted. In Gear Manager, set your clock to display app shortcuts. Choose "Notifications" as one of your shortcuts.

You did not read the full item#3:
Code:
No status icon for notifications on the watch face. When you missed a notification you won't be able to see it unless you pan the screen to the window of your notification app. I hope a firmware update would let a watch face include a notification just like battery level and BT link icons on the watch. There is a workaround on this but I would be forced to use only the 3-icon digital watch mode.

I don't want to use the stock digital face. My wish is not an overlay of the notification app on the watch face but overlay of the notification number without the app icon.

BlackZenith

Dec 23, 2011
You did not read the full item#3:
Code:
No status icon for notifications on the watch face. When you missed a notification you won't be able to see it unless you pan the screen to the window of your notification app. I hope a firmware update would let a watch face include a notification just like battery level and BT link icons on the watch. There is a workaround on this but I would be forced to use only the 3-icon digital watch mode.

I don't want to use the stock digital face. My wish is not an overlay of the notification app on the watch face but overlay of the notification number without the app icon.
Oh ok. It seems your problem is with the limitations of the Gear Manager Style Clock mode not allowing icons. Are the battery level and BT link icon's you mention from the Watch Styler app? I have not seen these icons on any of the stock Gear Manager watch modes.

Reactions: reynocum

reynocum

May 8, 2014
Oh ok. It seems your problem is with the limitations of the Gear Manager Style Clock mode not allowing icons. Are the battery level and BT link icon's you mention from the Watch Styler app? I have not seen these icons on any of the stock Gear Manager watch modes.
That's right. Watch styler allow you to add those icons on your digital, analog or even digiana faces that you can customize with your own graphics.

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

.. I cannot use go sms and samsung force me receive notifications only if I'm using the built in messaging app ?!?

I use Go SMS and I can receive notifications + read messages on my Gear 2. Just check the app on the notifications option of Gear Manager. The only problem is that you can only use your phone to reply. Templates and S-voice will not work with Go sms. I wish GoSMS would do something about this. Another problem is the only way to clear the notification is by launching the app on the phone with Gear. You don't need to pick up your phone though but it will unlock so be careful if your phone is in your pocket. The good thing about it is when you are going to reply the app is ready for you to type your reply.

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
www.processmapping.com.au
Is nice, I like!

Yup, it is definitely a joy to use.

Not enough apps
First off, there are not many apps, and I really hope many are created. I am sure they will soon.

Random notifications
I am not sure why, but sometimes notifications are not coming through. It may be to do with how the Note 3 manages notifications. If I already have some emails in my notification list, for example, I do not always get a notification on my Gear for the new ones, but sometimes I do.

I also have 'hands-free' mode enabled, and SMSs are read to me, so I do not always get that on my Gear.

I wish it was more consistent, but overall it is great.

Vibration too weak
The vibration is poor. I can hardly feel it. Yes, I do have it on 'strong' (the default IIRC). I do understand that vibration uses power, and requires additional weight, and both are an anathema to the Gear.

Not all notifications go through
I thought that selecting any app in the list in the Gear Manager would send notifications from that app to the Gear, but it appears not. The Gear needs a companion app on the Gear. I thing a 'default' common notification type should be allowed so that any notification from selected apps can go to the Gear. That would make my day
OK, they seem to be working now, scratch that, my day is made (Evernote has now become my 'To Do list' for the Gear!

Battery life is good
With using the Gear all day, with the auto display on (and it comes up too often), medium brightness, reading several emails, having a phone call on it (that was weird), reading news on it for 10 minutes (it is a bit awkward to hold the arm up for too long), and then in sleep mode all night, it used only 25%. That works for me.

Emails - yay!
It is fantastic having emails on my watch. SMSs are great too, and the ability to reply to them is great. I have a growing list of templates!

Fitness
Nah, not for me. Most of my exercise is housekeeping & gardening (when you have 10 acres of mostly bush to fight back, gardening becomes a kind of extreme sport, to be honest).

Camera
Well, not a great deal for me. I chose to spend the extra $100 because I can afford it, and I know I'd regret it if I did not. I can see that the 'instant catch' will be useful, but I am not convinced of the value. I am hoping that better apps will come out that use it. Imagine being able to photograph each meal and drink (could be a long list, and quite blurry toward the end of a good evening - or is that just me?) and have it record the calories. It's not impossible. Anyway, I am sure apps will happen, but again, then need to rely on not having to get the phone out.

Less phone use
Speaking of which, my Note has been quietly ignored for the last few days. Most use is getting it out to check on an email or SMS, and I rarely need to do that now.

Appointments
I love this. I have my next appt on my watch face. I love being constantly aware of when it is due. I wish it could change colour or something as it got closer, but the notification works OK.

More stuff on the watch!
I would like to have more on the stock watch, like battery & blue-tooth. I use the stock, not the styler, because the appointments are not (yet) on the styler. Maybe later...?

Phone Settings
I love the free app that changes the phone settings. I can be in a meeting and set my phone to silent without getting it out. That is gold.

Voice memo
This is nice. I like to record notes to myself (and others), and I can do this quickly and easily now. I do understand I am in a tiny minority on that one, though.

Media control
This is nice. I listen to Audible books, and it is nice to be able to control it from my watch. Frankly, remembering all the different presses on BT headsets is a pain, and I have to think, and this is instant. Great when I need to talk to someone while travelling.

Sleep...zzzz
I like this app. It is funny, but I like knowing how much time I spend not still of a night. It is interesting to see what effect alcohol (or other things) affect your sleep behaviour. Since you really have to set this on if wearing the watch overnight and auto display turned on, it is a help not a hindrance anyway.

No Alarms?
Wot, no alarms? Really? I need my phone with me to wake up? I am sure an app cannot be hard to make, but why not built-in?

Extras
Find my device (even when on silent). Warn me if I leave my phone behind. Find my Gear (from the phone). All gold, if not platinum.

Mute for the wife
If there's an app out there for that, I'd mortgage the house for it....

Last edited:
Reactions: Droidatar and twelc

raunaqseth

May 8, 2012
jaipur
Xiaomi Poco F1
OnePlus 7 Pro
FOr guyz trying to sielent the camera and increase the recording time

here is a solution
for increasing the time you can install a app using sdb (tizen sdk)
files provided down
and for shutting the sound of shutter you wl have to root your gear 2
link : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2771470
What is this good for?

Disable camera sounds:
sdb root on
sdb shell mount -o remount,rw /
sdb shell mv /usr/share/sounds/mm-camcorder/ /usr/share/sounds/mm-camcorder_bak/
sdb shell mv /usr/apps/com.samsung.w-camera-app/res/sounds /usr/apps/com.samsung.w-camera-app/res/sounds_bak
sdb shell mount -o remount,ro /

Custom ringtones:
sdb root on
sdb push your_ringtone.ogg /opt/share/settings/Ringtones/
reboot watch
Keep in mind free diskspace is 80MB for /opt/ don't fill it up!

peaklabs.net

Jul 9, 2014
Brisbane
www.peaklabs.net
What happened? No posts for like 2 months (except the one above).

I've been debating this whole wearable tech thing in my head and just found this thread, read the whole thing... I don't know, it still hasn't given me anything any reason to get one. Sounds fun for a few days, but the whole replying to emails/sms sounds completely retarded, I even hate "typing"/swyping on my phone let alone an even smaller touch screen!!

I like the idea of notifications/next todo item on the watch face... but this all just sounds like it's a bit of a fad. Maybe I'm getting old :)

James898

Jul 14, 2014
Samsung Gear with Samsung SM-C101

Hello nice people, I have just received my samsung phone, can you tell me if it works with Samsung Smartwatch ? here is the phone, I would really appreciate your help guys.

Last edited:

Gear2Guy

Jul 22, 2014
just got my Neo about 2? weeks ago, probably less, and i love this thing!

first off its great showing off to everyone and making them jealous. second best thing is when you take a call on the watch in front of friends for the first time. third thing is talking / taking a call in front of strangers! lol

the waterproof thing is great. dont have to worry about washing my hands, doing dishes, rain. i hosed my watch in the first hour just to check, and its still clickin!

great apps are being added daily, and i want to start making my own! if anyone caress to give me a head start somehow, im open to links, documents, info of all kinds :)

i think i use the watch more than the phone now :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    why would you want to turn off the shutter sound.

as to the keypad, the gear 2 is designed to supplement the phone so whats so hard about taking it out and using it?

are my expectations too low? I'm happy with the fact I don't have to check my phone now but if I need to use keyboard I need to use the phone is how I see it.

As an aside the fitness trackers isn't too bad the speed was same as my bike computer as was heat rate just be good if it linked into S Fitness

How could anyone take a good "people of walmart" picture with that stinkin camera sound on? LOL
    Is nice, I like!

Yup, it is definitely a joy to use.

Not enough apps
    First off, there are not many apps, and I really hope many are created. I am sure they will soon.

Random notifications
    I am not sure why, but sometimes notifications are not coming through. It may be to do with how the Note 3 manages notifications. If I already have some emails in my notification list, for example, I do not always get a notification on my Gear for the new ones, but sometimes I do.

I also have 'hands-free' mode enabled, and SMSs are read to me, so I do not always get that on my Gear.

I wish it was more consistent, but overall it is great.

Vibration too weak
    The vibration is poor. I can hardly feel it. Yes, I do have it on 'strong' (the default IIRC). I do understand that vibration uses power, and requires additional weight, and both are an anathema to the Gear.

Not all notifications go through
    I thought that selecting any app in the list in the Gear Manager would send notifications from that app to the Gear, but it appears not. The Gear needs a companion app on the Gear. I thing a 'default' common notification type should be allowed so that any notification from selected apps can go to the Gear. That would make my day
    OK, they seem to be working now, scratch that, my day is made (Evernote has now become my 'To Do list' for the Gear!

Battery life is good
    With using the Gear all day, with the auto display on (and it comes up too often), medium brightness, reading several emails, having a phone call on it (that was weird), reading news on it for 10 minutes (it is a bit awkward to hold the arm up for too long), and then in sleep mode all night, it used only 25%. That works for me.

Emails - yay!
    It is fantastic having emails on my watch. SMSs are great too, and the ability to reply to them is great. I have a growing list of templates!

Fitness
    Nah, not for me. Most of my exercise is housekeeping & gardening (when you have 10 acres of mostly bush to fight back, gardening becomes a kind of extreme sport, to be honest).

Camera
    Well, not a great deal for me. I chose to spend the extra $100 because I can afford it, and I know I'd regret it if I did not. I can see that the 'instant catch' will be useful, but I am not convinced of the value. I am hoping that better apps will come out that use it. Imagine being able to photograph each meal and drink (could be a long list, and quite blurry toward the end of a good evening - or is that just me?) and have it record the calories. It's not impossible. Anyway, I am sure apps will happen, but again, then need to rely on not having to get the phone out.

Less phone use
    Speaking of which, my Note has been quietly ignored for the last few days. Most use is getting it out to check on an email or SMS, and I rarely need to do that now.

Appointments
    I love this. I have my next appt on my watch face. I love being constantly aware of when it is due. I wish it could change colour or something as it got closer, but the notification works OK.

More stuff on the watch!
    I would like to have more on the stock watch, like battery & blue-tooth. I use the stock, not the styler, because the appointments are not (yet) on the styler. Maybe later...?

Phone Settings
    I love the free app that changes the phone settings. I can be in a meeting and set my phone to silent without getting it out. That is gold.

Voice memo
    This is nice. I like to record notes to myself (and others), and I can do this quickly and easily now. I do understand I am in a tiny minority on that one, though.

Media control
    This is nice. I listen to Audible books, and it is nice to be able to control it from my watch. Frankly, remembering all the different presses on BT headsets is a pain, and I have to think, and this is instant. Great when I need to talk to someone while travelling.

Sleep...zzzz
    I like this app. It is funny, but I like knowing how much time I spend not still of a night. It is interesting to see what effect alcohol (or other things) affect your sleep behaviour. Since you really have to set this on if wearing the watch overnight and auto display turned on, it is a help not a hindrance anyway.

No Alarms?
    Wot, no alarms? Really? I need my phone with me to wake up? I am sure an app cannot be hard to make, but why not built-in?

Extras
    Find my device (even when on silent). Warn me if I leave my phone behind. Find my Gear (from the phone). All gold, if not platinum.

Mute for the wife
    If there's an app out there for that, I'd mortgage the house for it....
    As an AVID Pebble user, it doesn't even compare to the Gear 2 Neo. I was skeptical ordering it thinking I'll probably just return it because no way can it compare. Yeah. It's leap years ahead. Wow. Sorry Pebble, time to collect dust next to my iPod Nano smartwatch!
    Initial thoughts.

- Vibration is way too weak. It's very easy to miss notifications in a noisy environment. I seldom hear my phone or feel it vibrate if I'm walking around where there's lots of noise, ie cafeteria, mall, party, etc. I figured having a smartwatch that vibrates would help reduce the amount of missed notifications but it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. For me, this was the most important feature of the watch so I'm disappointed because the Gear 2 doesn't meet my needs.

- I don't like having to change the ringer volume on my phone and my Gear 2. It would be nice to have an option to enable on the watch so that when your phone goes to silenced or vibrate only, the watch does the same. And then when you turn the ringer up on your phone, the watch should be able to do the same.

- Not sure if this is a limitation of the Gear 2 vs. my phone, but there needs to be a way to train or have S Voice learn your voice. If my hands are tied up and I want to call my buddy Shawn from my watch instead of pulling out my phone, I can't do it because S voice says "cannot find Sean in your address book." Why can't I teach it to know that when I say Shawn that it recognizes the name Shawn instead of just Sean. Now if I had a friend that spelled their name Sean, I wouldn't mind having to say "Call [seen]" to compensate, but I don't know any other way to say "Shawn" and have the phone know I'm saying Shawn, not Sean.

- Needs a home screen lock. My 1-year-old is fascinated with my Gear 2 and he's always pressing the button and re-arranging my screens when I'm pushing him around in a shopping cart or holding him. And I've managed to really hose up my layout myself when wrestling with a new band I was installing. I realize I can setup a PIN lock, but I don't want to enter a PIN every time i need to access my phone. I'd like to be able to setup my home screens, then lock them in place so they're not accidentally moved around.

- Outdoor mode shouldn't be limited to 5 minutes. The last thing I want to do when I'm outdoors is go find an area in the shade to adjust my brightness again so I can see the display. I realize the intent here was probably for saving the battery...but if I wanted to do that I would disable the wake-up gesture.

- For me, the battery life is adequate. I don't sleep with a watch on, I charge my phone every night, so I don't mind charging my watch every night even tho I could easily go 2 days on a single charge.

- I'm happy with the included set of apps even though others have pointed out there's a very limited number of apps available.

- I wish the home button wasn't so intrusive. The placement on the face of the watch makes it easy to get to (especially for a 1-year-old) but I would rather see it on the side of the watch so it didn't stand out so much. It's almost like they did it to say "hey, in case you didn't think it was geeky/nerdy to wear a smart watch, I'm gonna put this button on the face to make sure nobody misses how much of a geek you are." I wanted a watch that resembled a watch and included techy features...but I feel like I ended up with the next generation calculator watch. This wasn't a deal breaker for me though, just nit-picking.

For now, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll keep it. I feel like it doesn't exactly meet my needs so I'm tempted to return it and wait for the next best thing....or try out a Pebble since others have mentioned it has stronger vibration. But, I hate returning new technology especially when it's in such short supply...it makes me feel guilty and ungrateful. So I'll probably end up keeping it but ultimately I'm dissatisfied.
    People will always complain about something, but as a Pebble user that switched to the Gear 2, the Gear 2 is a far superior device. You'd want to shoot yourself in the face owning a Pebble if you think the Gear 2 is bad. I own the Neo which is IDENTICAL to the Gear 2, minus camera. I don't need a potato on my wrist, thanks.

I do agree it needs a screen lock feature , otherwise it's quite polished.