[Android / HTC One (M8)] Dot View Mods

Search This thread

MohammadAG

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
VzWY9ty8IVPAL0CqiTEt7QDBk2qM475QdP4iPtA63eCXfjnWlmgXZmcXpP3qWI4CIiDM=w300

Dot View Mods is a collection of modifications for the HTC One (M8)'s Dot View cover.

This module requires an unlock key for most features: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mohammadag.dotviewmodsforhtcmateunlockkey

Features include:
  • Control your music playback and see what's playing right from the Dot View cover.
  • Add gestures to the case and customise them.
  • See notifications at a glance, with support for all Android notifications. (enable the listener in Settings -> Security -> Notifications access)
    * See the full notification when it first comes in: your notifications scroll across the screen.
  • Quick dial contacts right from the cover, with support for up to 9 shortcuts spread across 3 pages.
  • Don't have a contact and still want to dial them quickly? Open up a full dialer right from the cover.

And if you're bored:
  • Play a quick game of Snake, retro-style!

Compatibility:
  • This module was coded with the stock DotMatrix application set to 480DPI, the developer cannot guarantee it'll work fine with other DPIs.
  • If you have other modifications installed, support cannot be guaranteed.

Usage:
Dialer:
Swipe up to call the number, swipe down to close the dialer. If no numbers are input, a swipe up redials the last person called.
Swipe from right to left to delete a number, tap and hold the numbers at the top to delete all.
A future update may add speed dial from the stock dialer.​
Snake:
Tap the HTC logo on your cover to pause the game, tap it again to save progress and quit the game.​
Shortcuts:
Swipe left and right to change between shortcut pages.​

Last edited:

Toyyo

May 13, 2012
Great collection of m mods for the dot view. I bought the unlock key shortly after I installed it, great work.
Will you be posting future work here @MohammadAG?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MohammadAG

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
Great collection of m mods for the dot view. I bought the unlock key shortly after I installed it, great work.
Will you be posting future work here @MohammadAG?

Yep, I realised email was bad for this kind of stuff since a lot of it is repeated.

I'm done with exams, so there should be more updates now. I've already added a torch feature.

Reactions: Toyyo

Toyyo

May 13, 2012
Yep, I realised email was bad for this kind of stuff since a lot of it is repeated.

I'm done with exams, so there should be more updates now. I've already added a torch feature.

Awesome, looking forward to it!
I have a couple of suggestions:
- Is it possible to make it so that none of the apps are turned on by default for notifications? So that people have to add the ones they want rather than untick the rest that aren't really useful?
- Is it possible to disable gesture controls completely? so no menu or music control etc?

This module will be perfect for me if it is as close to stock as possible, with the addition of custom notifications of course :D

Anyway, keep up the awesome work :good:

asimoalex

Jun 18, 2012
florida
I'm having trouble with it actually wo4king for long periods it will stop displaying notifications after like the first notifications (so after a message it will no longer work) also the dialer will work when it wants too I've had like 3 instance now were the phone will stay stuck on the dot view look even if I open the flap... I've Uninstalled it and reinstalled same issue
Any suggestions???

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
New version is out:

Major features:
  • Custom gradient support, pick the top and bottom colors from the settings app. Non scrolling text now uses this gradient.
  • Torch feature, either using gestures or menu items

For everything else, see the change log on Xposed.

Reboot immediately after installation.

Reactions: Toyyo

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
I'm having trouble with it actually wo4king for long periods it will stop displaying notifications after like the first notifications (so after a message it will no longer work) also the dialer will work when it wants too I've had like 3 instance now were the phone will stay stuck on the dot view look even if I open the flap... I've Uninstalled it and reinstalled same issue
Any suggestions???

If it sticks on the screen, that's actually a crash, I'd need a logcat to debug that, but you need to use adb to get that.

The new version, however, has some bug fixes that will should reduce (or prevent) crashes. Try seeing if it still happens there.

Luismarte16

Nov 24, 2013
problem

If it sticks on the screen, that's actually a crash, I'd need a logcat to debug that, but you need to use adb to get that.

The new version, however, has some bug fixes that will should reduce (or prevent) crashes. Try seeing if it still happens there.

i have a problem with the new version instead of the weather icon i get a big yellow square displayed

asimoalex

Jun 18, 2012
florida

I belive I got a log cat never had to make one so yea... Do you want it via personal message or??

ducted

May 30, 2014
I just downloaded the module, tried and purchased the unlock key in less than a minute. Also I wrote a positive comment at Play Store. Great idea @MohammadAG! I hope to see more functions soon!

Best regards.

Reactions: MohammadAG

majorplayer88

Nov 8, 2008
Downloaded and immediately paid for the unlock key. Exactly what I was looking for, love your work.

How does one actually trigger the snaka game? Taping on the HTC logo isn't doing anything for me.

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
Downloaded and immediately paid for the unlock key. Exactly what I was looking for, love your work.

How does one actually trigger the snaka game? Taping on the HTC logo isn't doing anything for me.

Thanks!
You'll need to add it to the main menu in settings, same goes for the dialer.
Tapping the HTC logo exits the game.

Reactions: majorplayer88

Toyyo

May 13, 2012
Awesome update! Shukran @MohammadAG?
For anyone having trouble with the app recognizing the license key after the update, uninstall the license and then reinstall it... It should work after that.
Loving the new features, keep up the good work

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
I like this mod but they is still some stability issue.

It happen my phone can't unlock and stuck during using dot view play song.

Force restart is the only way.

I believe this module will became better and better. :)

Last edited:

MohammadAG

Sep 7, 2009
Jerusalem
mohammadag.xceleo.org
I like this mod but they is still some stability issue.

It happen my phone can't unlock and stuck during using dot view play song.

Force restart is the only way.

I believe this module will became better and better. :)

I'm going to need a logcat filtered for AndroidRuntime. The reason the screen is stuck is because behind it is a dialog that says DotMatrix has stopped working and you'd need to click okay (which you can't).

But still, a crash is a crash and it needs to be fixed, so please, post a logcat :D

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
I'm going to need a logcat filtered for AndroidRuntime. The reason the screen is stuck is because behind it is a dialog that says DotMatrix has stopped working and you'd need to click okay (which you can't).

But still, a crash is a crash and it needs to be fixed, so please, post a logcat :D
In future if happen again, I will post the logcat. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    VzWY9ty8IVPAL0CqiTEt7QDBk2qM475QdP4iPtA63eCXfjnWlmgXZmcXpP3qWI4CIiDM=w300

Dot View Mods is a collection of modifications for the HTC One (M8)'s Dot View cover.

This module requires an unlock key for most features: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mohammadag.dotviewmodsforhtcmateunlockkey

Features include:
    • Control your music playback and see what's playing right from the Dot View cover.
    • Add gestures to the case and customise them.
    • See notifications at a glance, with support for all Android notifications. (enable the listener in Settings -> Security -> Notifications access)
      * See the full notification when it first comes in: your notifications scroll across the screen.
    • Quick dial contacts right from the cover, with support for up to 9 shortcuts spread across 3 pages.
    • Don't have a contact and still want to dial them quickly? Open up a full dialer right from the cover.

And if you're bored:
    • Play a quick game of Snake, retro-style!

Compatibility:
    • This module was coded with the stock DotMatrix application set to 480DPI, the developer cannot guarantee it'll work fine with other DPIs.
    • If you have other modifications installed, support cannot be guaranteed.

Usage:
    Dialer:
    Swipe up to call the number, swipe down to close the dialer. If no numbers are input, a swipe up redials the last person called.
    Swipe from right to left to delete a number, tap and hold the numbers at the top to delete all.
    A future update may add speed dial from the stock dialer.​
    Snake:
    Tap the HTC logo on your cover to pause the game, tap it again to save progress and quit the game.​
    Shortcuts:
    Swipe left and right to change between shortcut pages.​
    So, I think I should start off with apology. I started uni and I got caught up with how little time I have (3 days a week, I go to uni from 10AM till 9PM with 15 minute breaks between each hour that give me enough time to go from lecture to lecture), so I apologise for not updating this module and replying here (I have replied to most emails and tweets since I get notifications for those instantly).

The module broke a long time ago apparently, but due to staged rollouts, I honestly didn't get the update for about 2-3 weeks later. I barely had time to check XDA (screenshot), and the module I've released (Battery Home Icon) was part of something I started on before I knew Dot View broke, and just released it a month later or so.

I just noticed some PMs from Jonni, but honestly, PMs are the last thing I check daily due to the amount of questions that aren't even related to my work I get there. (There was an email from a certain Paul that also included an APK, a big thanks for that).

A Facebook group really wasn't necessary: feel free to ask for refunds without stirring people up. Neither was the formal message in PMs, it's kind of silly.

As mentioned in the changelog, I'll promise to push updates for breaking things on weekends, and if I find the time during the week, I'll push the updates then, but weekends will be the most it takes.

This module hasn't been abandoned. I'll announce when I won't further update my modules (due to moving on from the device, or other reasons). When/If that time comes, a full source drop will be made for closed source modules.

The latest version bypasses the new music playback for the module's one while I integrate their solution into mine (in the sense that it shouldn't hide time or be so clunky with so many taps and swipes). I also suggest disabling third party notifications within Dot View's settings, and using the module's ones so it can alternate between all notifications, not just the ones the module shows.
    Woah, lots of negative feedback here.
    I've been awfully busy recently (uni and stuff), so I can't reply to all the posts in here. The update was released yesterday, a module update is now out. I'd say 1 day is very reasonable for an update.

As for bugs:
    Notifications not disappearing happens because of multiple notifications from one app. I'll be rewriting the notification holder so this is fixed. Expect it in a future version soon.

Camera not working is a very odd issue, it works fine for me, but lots of users are reporting otherwise. Something is prevent the camera permission from being obtained by com.htc.dotmatrix. Are you using XPrivacy or something?
    After upadating the original app you have to open it and turn off the option "show" the last three calls

This is done automatically on 1.1.3.

I don't get how to use this with the case. If I add the gesture for swiping down to be the google search, it makes the google search noise, but I can't actually search anything, unless I open the case. Is there some way to do google now voice commands while keeping the case closed? Thanks again for your help!

Hmm, I see it works only once, and further searches are canceled. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not betting on much unless I use the Moto X's approach.

Any way to make the date show as month and day?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'll see about adding date formats, shouldn't be hard as long as they fit.

The new version can not change color!

+1

This was one of my favourite things about this mod. Any chance of that getting that brought back? And is anyone having any issues with the weather not showing up as well since the new update?

Well aware of this since I removed the option myself. HTC removed the gradient so it no longer has an effect. The text is now solid white. I'll add text color changes in a future version, but the gradient's gone.

The weather was replaced by the temperature text when a theme is selected, likely because an icon would hide the theme. Disable the theme to get it back. This is stock behavior.

I wish there was a way to get camera to work. It's the only thing isn't working.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app