[MOD|1.53] Disable the annoying ICS 3-dot Menu

Search This thread

light_n_roses

Oct 25, 2009
In my opinion it would be nice to have the 3 points button as it is when it'displayed as single button on the top right corner, while it should be replaced by long press on screen when the 3 points are displayed on the bottom part of the screen as a bar that occupy space for nothing ( very often it use space that could be used from the app itself or, even worst, it occupy the space usually used from the directions keys of the keyboard). Is that possible to make this hybrid modification?

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA

ovimunt

Mar 22, 2011
London
I would love to see this with long-pressing the 3rd button to get recent apps instead of home. I won't have access to my computer to do it for a couple days, but if nobody gets it by then I'll put it together and post it up.

Well... I'd love to see how you're going to do that... :D

Check this out: help with development please...

Last edited:

roakes

Aug 11, 2009
St.Albans
Hello everyone!

I've been in touch with he_stheone64 who put together this thread for deodexed ROMs and he's pointed me to the actual smali files that need changing to get this to work on other ROMs. Credits also go to blubbers and Virtuous Team who pioneered and finetuned the code for 1.53 base.

Following his suggestions I managed to put together a flashable button-mod.zip for HTC Stock ROM v1.78.401.2 (EU) - see at the bottom. This mod will completely remove the ICS 3-dot menu and will remap the recent apps button to work as menu button and long-press home to bring up recent apps.[/SIZE]

If for some reason you want to go back to the stock configuration (i.e. with 3-dot soft menu button), I've also prepared a restore_old_button_files.zip that you can flash - see at the bottom.

As always, before you flash ANYTHING, I strongly recommend that you do a fresh nandroid backup so you can go back to your initial configuration in case something goes wrong in the process!

WARNINGS:

1. This mod has been built and tested on HTC Stock ROM v1.78.401.2 (EU) - Network Unbranded. If you flash this mod on any other ROM (e.g. network branded) you are likely to get stuck at boot or a boot loop!

2. If you have manually changed your build.prop and cy8c-touchkey.kl files, DO NOT flash this as it will overwrite your old files!

NOTE: When I get a bit more time I'll try to write a tutorial on how to manually patch the android.policy.odex file using the smali files from he_stheone64's mod.

This works brilliantly, many thanks, easily the most useful mod I have found yet!

light_n_roses

Oct 25, 2009
In my opinion it would be nice to have the 3 points button as it is when it'displayed as single button on the top right corner, while it should be replaced by long press on screen when the 3 points are displayed on the bottom part of the screen as a bar that occupy space for nothing ( very often it use space that could be used from the app itself or, even worst, it occupy the space usually used from the directions keys of the keyboard). Is that possible to make this hybrid modification?

Anyone??

el_smurfo

Oct 21, 2009
Does anyone else think it's funny/ironic that the XDA app itself doesn't handle this button correctly? Great mod BTW...worth the price of rooting by itself.

dwny

May 25, 2006
CLT / BKLYN
Hello,
I have made a mod for a stock T-Mobile US 1.53.531.16 710RD Odexed rom. It will make Recent Apps > Menu, Long-press-home > Recent Apps, and will disable the three dot menu. I have also included a zip to return to original. Flash through recovery.

Rsotbiemrptson

Installed on my rooted TMoUS 1.53 Odexed device and it works great....

The only thing is the "Soft Keys" no longer light up, is there a fix?

Flashed the return to original, no go

Sent from my Rooted TMoUS HTC One_S using XDA Premium

dwny

May 25, 2006
CLT / BKLYN
Suggestion:

After using this for a while, remap the recent apps button to long press for settings and leave original mapping alone.

Back for Back
Home for Home
Recent for Recent
Add: Long press Recent for Settings

What do you guys think....?

Reactions: ColaCheater

Rsotbiemrptson

Nov 3, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
Possibly, I doubt it tho
Random still isn't correct

Update: It came back momentarily when a call came in......
Then disappeared

Sent from my TMoUS HTC One_S using XDA Premium

Hello,
I dont know what the problem could be. My lights are working fine. They come on with the screen and go off in standby. Only suggestion I could give is try wiping cache and dalvik-cache to see if that helps.

Rsotbiemrptson

el_smurfo

Oct 21, 2009
Agreed. Rooted, removed bloat and flashed this mod and phone is nearly perfect for me.

@dwny: I did a bit of testing and find that the lights only come on at certain low light conditions. In bright rooms, they remain off because the white on black is enough to see them. Try this test...with phone on (or even at lockscreen), put your finger over the top area where the T-Mobile logo is...you should see the screen dim and lights come on (if you're on auto brightness).

alpax

Dec 22, 2006
Vancouver
www.apsoftsystems.com
Agreed. Rooted, removed bloat and flashed this mod and phone is nearly perfect for me.
Heh. Exactly the same here. :) Just was doing all that yesterday, and wrote about it my blog post this morning.

@dwny: I did a bit of testing and find that the lights only come on at certain low light conditions. In bright rooms, they remain off because the white on black is enough to see them.
I have just found that myself - the lights were off, but when I entered into a dark room, they came on. It totally makes sense.

Reactions: IceBone

el_smurfo

Oct 21, 2009
BTW, for any of you coming from a phone with hard menu key, this mod is a lifesaver. I finally have my menu/settings back rather than the awkward notification pull down settings.

As a final note, it remaps the menu in all apps, even the Google ones that handled it correctly, so it will permanently change the way your phone works which might take some adjustment if you go back to stock ICS once more apps are updated correctly. Totally worth it, though if I get a craving for Swype, I hear it won't work with the new screen resolution...

dwny

May 25, 2006
CLT / BKLYN
You guys are all correct, it does come on under low light conditions. It just took a day for me to see...lol
Thanks. :D

Sent from my TMoUS 4g HTC Flyer using XDA Premium

Rsotbiemrptson

Nov 3, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
BTW, for any of you coming from a phone with hard menu key, this mod is a lifesaver. I finally have my menu/settings back rather than the awkward notification pull down settings.

As a final note, it remaps the menu in all apps, even the Google ones that handled it correctly, so it will permanently change the way your phone works which might take some adjustment if you go back to stock ICS once more apps are updated correctly. Totally worth it, though if I get a craving for Swype, I hear it won't work with the new screen resolution...

Hello,
Swype does work, but only with this mod. The three dot menu at the bottom of the screen takes up screen space and swype thinks that the screen is different size. This mod removes that button and allows swype to read the correct screen size.

Rsotbiemrptson

lbrfabio

Jun 1, 2011

is this true even with the mod "long-press home= menu" ?

anyway, I was wondering why shadowgun on the trasformer prime doesn't have the menu button on the right of the apps switcher while on the HTC One S it does(well, on the screen).
It shouldn’t be visible or invisible in both devices?

Last edited:

light_n_roses

Oct 25, 2009

I'm still thinking that this would be the best scenario

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stock T-Mobile US Button Mod

Hello,
    I have made a mod for a stock T-Mobile US 1.84.531.2 710RD Odexed rom. It will make Recent Apps > Menu, Long-press-home > Recent Apps, and will disable the three dot menu. I have also included a zip to return to original. Flash through recovery.

Edit:
    I have reuploaded a new Menu mod as the first one has an unnecessary mod in the build.prop(I had removed the htclinkify). I'm not sure if it would have any negative effect without removing the other parts, so the mod is not needed.

Rsotbiemrptson
    I've ported the One-X mod to the One-S
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1582506
    This mod will disable the 3-dot Menu on the display, the menu button will be mapped to long-pressing home!

I don't own a One-S, I've attached an android.policy.jar if anyone want's to try it. If it works, I will make a zip which you can flash with the CWM recovery

use it only on a deodexed 1.53.x.2 ROM

please don't pm me, post here if you have something to say

I will not make an odexed version

make a backup of the file first
    Code:
    adb pull /system/framework/android.policy.jar android.policy.jar.orig

this file needs to be pushed to /system/framework/android.policy.jar
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push android.policy.jar /system/framework/android.policy.jar

if you don't know how to do this, wait for someone to test the mod and I'll make a flashable zip!
    1.78.401.2 (EU) ONLY: Flashable zip - remove 3-dot soft menu button + key remap

Hello everyone!

I've been in touch with he_stheone64 who put together this thread for deodexed ROMs and he's pointed me to the actual smali files that need changing to get this to work on other ROMs. Credits also go to blubbers and Virtuous Team who pioneered and finetuned the code for 1.53 base.

Following his suggestions I managed to put together a flashable button-mod.zip for HTC Stock ROM v1.78.401.2 (EU) - see at the bottom. This mod will completely remove the ICS 3-dot menu and will remap the recent apps button to work as menu button and long-press home to bring up recent apps.[/SIZE]

If for some reason you want to go back to the stock configuration (i.e. with 3-dot soft menu button), I've also prepared a restore_old_button_files.zip that you can flash - see at the bottom.

As always, before you flash ANYTHING, I strongly recommend that you do a fresh nandroid backup so you can go back to your initial configuration in case something goes wrong in the process!

WARNINGS:

1. This mod has been built and tested on HTC Stock ROM v1.78.401.2 (EU) - Network Unbranded. If you flash this mod on any other ROM (e.g. network branded) you are likely to get stuck at boot or a boot loop!

2. If you have manually changed your build.prop and cy8c-touchkey.kl files, DO NOT flash this as it will overwrite your old files!

NOTE: When I get a bit more time I'll try to write a tutorial on how to manually patch the android.policy.odex file using the smali files from he_stheone64's mod.
    this would work out much better if you made longpress home equal multitasking, and turning the multitasking button into the menu button... just my 2 cents ;) .
    Stock T-Mobile US Button Mod

Hello,
    I have made a mod for a stock T-Mobile US 1.53.531.16 710RD Odexed rom. It will make Recent Apps > Menu, Long-press-home > Recent Apps, and will disable the three dot menu. I have also included a zip to return to original. Flash through recovery.

Rsotbiemrptson